• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 8,509 Views, 737 Comments

Integration - Part Two of A Changeling's Story (Cancelled) - CoAlFire



Cancelled! Please see the re-write currently in progress.

  • ...
17
 737
 8,509

On Changeling Biology

"Oh, Echo... I... didn't expect to see you. I presume Chrysalis and Scootaloo are still in Canterlot?"

"Of course they are, but I couldn't just leave my friend hanging out here alone, could I?" Echo stepped into the library and dropped her disguise. "So, any progress?"

"Well, Rebound told me that female changelings are heavier because you have to bear the weight of the male when he mounts you for mating, but it turns out that was a lie, so I don't really know how much of the information he gave me other than that backed by empirical evidence can be trusted, but I've been lea-"

Echo clapped a hoof over Twilight's mouth, blushing. "I meant with the bizarre behavior of everyone in town."

"Oh." Twilight laughed nervously and blushed some more. "Of course. Of course you did, yes. Uh, no, no news. Sorry."

"That's okay." Echo sighed. "I expected as much."

"I'm thinking that -" Spike began to whack Twilight on the flank with the scroll he had received a few minutes ago. "- Spike, it's rude to interrupt."

"Twilight, it's URGENT from the PRINCESS."

"Okay, Spike, give it here, I'll read it in a minute." She took the scroll in her magic and plopped it on her back as Spike trudged off.

"Aren't you going to read that?"

"Not right away, it was probably just her trying to tell me you were about to arrive."

"Okay... well, do you need any help?"

"Yeah, sure. If you'd be so kind as to head to Ponyville Jail, maybe if you disguise yourself, you can figure out what's going on with Filthy Rich. I think Colgate is a good idea for a disguise. She seemed to be privy to a lot of his scheming."

"I agree." She changed in a flash. "Consider it done."

"Thank you, Echo. I eagerly await your report." As Echo left, Twilight unrolled the scroll.

My Faithful Student,

I am writing to inform you that as of about ten minutes prior to sending this message, Echo is en-route to Ponyville from the castle in Canterlot. Please prepare for her arrival.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia

Twilight groaned. "Spiiike! I told you to bring me letters from the Princess AS SOON as they arrived!"

"I did, Twilight!"

"That's not possible. This says she left about ten minutes before it was sent, and it's at least an hour's ride to Canterlot. I don't like it when you lie to me Spike."

"I'm not lying!" The little dragon stared at his tail and rubbed his claws together.

Twilight groaned and stomped her hooves, unsatisfied by the Dragon's dishonesty. She turned and went back to the basement.

"Welcome back," Rebound said with a slight grumble, "what's next on the agenda?"

"Well, Rebound, given your more candid nature, I was hoping that you would be more receptive than your female counterparts to the discussion of the manner in which the antecedent generation's processes of meiosis coorelate to the expectant gender of the resulting generation; given your inherent ability to change your shape and even your basic genetic structure, I imagine the genetics of a changeling zygote are complicated at best."

Rebound gawked.

"Right," Twilight face-hoofed, "What I mean is... Chrysalis and Echo didn't want to talk about it, but I think you'll be a bit more willing. I was curious how changelings' offspring have their genders determined. Since you can change your sex at will, how does that affect reproduction?"

Rebound nodded slowly. "Well, first off, we can't change our sex at will. That's a myth. We can change our physical bodies, sure, but a male changeling can't produce eggs if he's impersonating a mare, and the same is true for the inverse."

"I see! So shapeshifting is a transmutation spell?"

"Not... quite. Transmutations are like... a hermit crab moving into a new shell. Changeling shapeshifting is more akin to remodeling a house. Just like remodeling a house, though, some things can't be changed. A house's support beam needs to stay in place, and a changeling's gender needs to remain concrete. I can pretend to be you, for example, but I can't go so far as to bear foals with your genetic structure -- or bear foals at all, for that matter."

Twilight blushed a bit again. "I see. Echo was able to give a blood transfusion to Scootaloo, though. She imitated her blood perfectly."

"Yes, well, they're both female, aren't they?" Rebound sat on the sofa.

"Ah. Yes. Okay, I see. One more question..." Twilight began to blush more before she sat down as well, and scooted a bit closer to Rebound.

"Go ahead..."

"How does... well, how does romance work between changelings?" She stared at him intently.

"To be honest, I never really understood that myself. It always looked to me like two changelings just decided they didn't hate each other, got together, had an egg, and moved on with their lives. I know we are capable of love, but ..."

"... yes?" She tilted her head.

"Well, the thing is that in order for one changeling to receive love from another, he has to give some from a finite reserve. So, it's a draining process. I've heard that a long time ago, when the hive was more prosperous, romance was actually very common, but with the famine... I think we just forgot it existed."

"That's... so sad..." Twilight mused solemnly. "Oh, Rebound, you poor thing."

He chuckled. "You act like I miss romance. I've never really known it, so how can I miss it?"

"Aren't you in the least bit curious?" She recoiled slightly.

"Nope, not really."

Twilight grunted a bit and picked up her parchment again, writing roughly.

"Twi," Rebound asked, cocking an eyebrow, "are you all right?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be, what made you think I wasn't all right, do I not look all right to you or something?"

Rebound took a step back. "Okay. Geeze. Anything else your highness?"

"No."

"Okay. Oh, one more thing."

"What do you want?"

"You never told me who was at the door." Rebound ignored her suddenly curt demeanor.

"Believe it or not, that was Echo."

"I don't believe it."

"Believe it or not..." Twilight reiterated.

"No... you see, changelings have certain amounts of telepathic connection to one another. That gets exceptionally strong if we know that changeling. I know Echo. I've known her since we were both hatchlings. I lo--" He chokes on the word and shakes his head. "Just trust me. Echo isn't here."

"Then who did I just... If Spike is telling the truth... what in Equestria?"

Rebound jumped to his hooves. "There are only two answers. Either Echo is under some kind of mind-control spell -- which I highly doubt, knowing her -- or that was some other changeling pretending to be her."

Twilight ran upstairs as quickly as she could and stepped out the Library's front door. She looked around frantically, but saw nobody. "Stars help us..."

Author's Note:

All right all of you. I know this is a short chapter, but consider it this way - in order to make up for my extensive quantities of lost time, I wanted to give you guys a feel for where I'm taking this, as well as get the ol' typing fingers moving again.

I'm going to try to make the chapters a bit longer again henceforth. Enjoy this tidbit while it lasts, folks, because more is on the way in coming days.

CoAlFire