• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 2,725 Views, 93 Comments

Battlefield: Causatum - Obvious German



Battlefield 3 crossover. Rainbow Dash ends up in post-cataclysmic Iran.

  • ...
6
 93
 2,725

Chapter 5: Crisis

March 21st, 2014/

Markaz,

Tehran, Iran,

1145 Hours,

The Retribution’s crew propelled the tank forwards, crushing all the unfortunate bits of objects underneath the bulk of the tank as they headed for the Markaz Monolith in order to regroup with the Marines who were literally screeching about some fictional object.

“You seeing anything, Captain?” Sam asked as the tank crunched a sedan underneath it.

“Only miles and miles of wrecks. Pretty fucked up out there.”

“We’re lucky we got a tank in the first place,” Sam responded as their radio crackled. “Shit, who’s in trouble now?”

This is Osprey 5-7! We’re downed in the city of Markaz! We need immediate assistance!” Noah took his time to remember what an Osprey was before he heard a distant rumble sound.

“Aren’t Ospreys those fancy VTOLs?”

“Yup, that’s an Osprey all right,” Sam, replied as the booms became numerous and louder, obvious that it was the sound of explosions and gunfire. The Retribution’s armor groaned and moved out on the streets towards the source of the gunfire amongst the now audible sounds of masonry collapsing, signifying that another building had collapsed after so long.

It was then they came upon a ghastly sight, a T-72 engaging the wreck of a crashed V-22 Osprey near a park with incoming PLR soldiers whose weapons were filling up the skies with lethal rifle rounds. Noah grunted and was determined to make things right even it was clear they were outgunned by probable RPG wielders and the T-72 in front of them.

“Private, load a shell in.”

“But sir! There’s too many of them-

“It’s either we die trying or everybody dies in vain, now load that shell in,” Noah said coldly, not wanting to repeat the day he lost an entire convoy of Marines who could’ve been alive if it weren’t for him. With the downed Osprey in the junction on the left, he was dead set on killing all the PLR forces who had just noticed the Retribution through the sound of its engines.

They barked orders and soon their attention was drawn to the bulk of the Abrams, firing rounds at it that uselessly pinged off the hardened metal of the tank. Fairfield heaved the HE shell up and loaded it into the chamber. “It’s loaded!”

“Now, fire!” The main gun of the Retribution flared as it struck the T-72, causing its threads to derail and thus stopping it from moving. “Load another shell in!”

“Aye, aye sir!” Fairfield responded as he heaved another shell into the chambering, Sam busy maneuvering the tank as it rolled around dodging shells.

Holy shit! Who is this in a tank?

Noah cleared his throat as he lined up the cannon for another shot. “This is the Retribution II, we’re survivors of the earthquake along with four other Marines. We were in Markaz looking for other survivors until we heard your distress call, over.”

Thank fucking god! At least we have a tank on our side now!” The pilot of the Osprey responded as he dragged his wounded co-pilot into cover, having been shot with two bullets to his midsection. He then slid into cover to eliminate the hostiles moving down to finish him off but the T-72 that had taken down their chopper exploded into a storm of burnt metal and dust, the Retribution rolling into the scene.

Hell yes! Now that’s what I call armored kill!

Noah breathed a sigh of relief, at least someone was giving out indirect compliments about his tank, having been through so much ordeals. It was then he heard Hershowitz’s voice tear through the radio, gunfire rattling the background.

...Miles! Take that fucker out! I got the other one!” Noah could hear his SCAR-L rattle and the zooming bullets that nearly gutted the Lieutenant.

He’s a goner!” The launcher of the ASRAD Humvee deployed a screaming missile that hit against a PLR technical, sending it flying into the air. Noah grunted and spoke into the radio.

“Retribution here, what’s happening down there?”

God fucking hell! Retribution, we have a hostage inside a tango I repeat, hostage inside a tango! And you wouldn’t believe it if I told you who that hostage is! We’re traveling down the streets with three technicals pursuing and multiple PLR incoming! Where the fuck are you?

Noah looked around before asking Sam where they were. “We’re in the 7th Jelababi District sir! Tell them we are near al-Montyak park!” Noah nodded before he went back to the firing controls, Fairfield having loaded another shell in to fire.

“Firing!” The tank recoiled and blasted a shop wide open, the bodies of unfortunate PLR soldiers sailing outside with their weapons vaporized.

Shit! We can hear that, Captain! We’re nearing the al-Montyak park near the Monolith! Are you guys there with the Osprey?

More of our boys? Fuck yes! Lead the technical here, maybe the Retribution and us can set up an ambush for these Iranian bastards!” The pilot responded, very glad that more reinforcements were on their way although they were in a fast paced, adrenaline filled car chase.

We can try that! But if we say do not shoot the lead technical, follow our orders! There’s a fucking pegasus that can talk stuck in the backseat!” Noah, at the word ‘pegasus’, abruptly stopped halfway. He adjusted his helmet correctly if he was hearing wrongly.

“Say that again, Lieutenant?”

I said, we have a talking pegasus from a TV show as the PLR’s hostage, and I’m dead serious or else we wouldn’t be out here, wouldn’t we!?” Hershowitz responded angrily as his rifle clattered, audible to a disgruntled Noah who proceeded to order Sam to move the tank forwards a little bit, covering the pilot of the Osprey along with his wounded companion.

“Sir! I see them, moving 9 0’clock from where we are, multiple armored contacts inbound in ETA two minutes!” Sam blared out as the main cannon of the Abrams flared again, killing an RPG holder and five of his comrades. Noah then contacted the crashed Osprey’s pilot.

“What’s your callsign, pilot?”

It’s Gunslinger! Now what do you need from us? My comrade is wounded so the faster we end this, the faster I can contact command to pick us up for medevac!

Gunslinger? That word bounced around in Noah’s head until he realized who Gunslinger was. The pilots of the Viper that had saved Hershowitz and his men from being reduced to ashes on the day of the raid, the day he became a legend. But reputation wasn’t what they cared about, only on what to do next.

“How long before command can send in medevac?”

I’d say in about half an hour!

“Good! Patch them up to the Lieutenant! Meanwhile, I need you to do something!”

What’s that, sir?

Noah looked towards the road again, seeing the headlights of the technicals and the Humvee trailing behind, the launcher firing once again into the remains of a telephone booth, sending it sky high along with the PLR stationed there.

“You have anything anti-vehicle?”

Err… Why, yes! We have a Javelin in the cargo bay just in case with three spare missiles!” Perfect, Javelin missiles were deadly, locking onto enemy vehicles and the next thing they know, they’re dust.

“Good, get them out of the bay and prep for fire,” Noah ordered the pilot, who was busily sniping off PLR soldiers in the apartment blocks with a M417 he had acquired in the cargo bay, gutting the latest soldier with surgical precision. Meanwhile, Noah had formulated a plan, one that might save the hostage.

“Lieutenant, does the sniper still have ammo for the fifty caliber?”

Let me check… Garrett! You still have ammo for the M82?

I still have three more magazines! Why'd you ask so?

I don’t know! Captain, why'd you ask about it?

Noah quickly fired off another shell at the apartment block the PLR soldiers were in, blowing it into bits before responding. “Good! Lieutenant, I need you to make a roadblock for them with the sniper facing the technical with the hostage!”

Wait a minute, you don’t mean to say…?

“Yes, he’s going to have to snipe the engine block,” Noah responded as he barked for Fairfield to load another shell in. “And we’re going to eliminate the other guys in the meantime.”

Sounds like a solid plan to me, let’s go! Scotty, full speed ahead! Make sure Garrett’s facing the technicals!” Noah heard the engineer grunt in response and immediately the Humvee sped up, bypassing the technicals which pelted the armor of the jeep.

“Okay! Gunslinger, take out that Javelin!”

On it!” Gunslinger complied as he gave the M417 to his wounded co-pilot who gave a grunt of approval before dragging himself so that he could snipe off the PLR soldiers. The cargo bay’s door was open due to the crash and Gunslinger had no problem finding a piece of delicate weaponry inside, relatively unharmed. Taking the Javelin outside not before loading it up with a missile, he slid next to his comrade and knelt down to fire the Javelin at the incoming technicals. It was then they heard the boom of another tank, and soon there was a tank that emerged from the alleyway next to the technicals. But this tank wasn’t a weak T-72.

It was a T-90.

“Shit! Changing targets to engage enemy armor!” Noah barked as the barrel of the tank maneuvered to face the incoming armor that fired off another shot at the Retribution and the crashed Osprey, striking the streets and creating a gaping crater.

The Humvee then skidded to a halt as soon as they reached within a footstep of the crash site, Garrett’s M82 deployed and ready for fire from his window. Scott jumped out of the Humvee followed by the Lieutenant as they took cover behind it.

“Gunslinger! Engage the T-90! We’ve got the technicals!” The pilot looked back at the tank, nodded before he took a breath and locked on to the incoming T-90.

Garrett’s ready! Give the go before we’re toast!” Noah took a deep breath. This was it, today’s most difficult challenge and the most difficult he had ever partaken in.

He silently prayed to God before the barrel of the tank aimed at the oncoming technicals that refused to slow down and threatening to ram all of them.

Now was the time to be heroes. “Fire.”

---

Fifteen minutes earlier, 1130 hours,


Hershowitz was in a predicament gone awry. Now a PLR soldier had his gun pointed at the pegasus who was trying to squirm her way out and with the distress call of a crashed Osprey, nothing could be worse.

I said, put down the gun or I will shoot this creature!” The soldier barked at him while Hershowitz’s mind raced.

Hershes, what the fuck is happenin’ up there?! More PLR?!” Scott barked over his radio, causing the PLR soldier to tilt his head before regaining his posture while still holding on tightly to the pegasus, the monster out of mythology.

He didn’t need a casualty now, even more so a being from a colorful and friendly TV show being that casualty. He had nowhere to go, and couldn’t do anything.

This was happening again, and he wouldn’t let it happen.

In a second, he dropped his SCAR-L and raised his hands up, signifying that he was complying to the unruly soldier’s barks. The PLR soldier smiled and proceeded to drag the pegasus away, back onto the staircase where his comrade had an AK trained on him.

Kill him, I will bring this creature captive. Maybe Al-Bashir knows what to do with it.” His comrade nodded as he steadied his aim for the Lieutenant, who slowly slid his feet towards the SCAR-L. The PLR soldier holding Rainbow Dash hostage quickly vanished from sight, and everything went to hell soon after.

Hershowitz grunted and rolled onto the floor, retrieving his SCAR and firing it at the soldier ahead, gutting him and causing his AK to spray onto the ceiling. The other soldier below heard the noise and quickly hurried himself down, stopping for a while to pull out a roll of duct tape to tie up the struggling pegasus.

“Hey! What’re-her mouth was taped shut as she mumbled something incomprehensible to the militant who picked her up and continued his way down the stairs.

Hershowitz was also running down the stairs, the firefight below having stopped during the confrontation with the kidnapper of Rainbow Dash. Reaching the ground floor, he sprinted past Garrett who complied and began to pack up his M82. Scott spun and saw the Lieutenant hurriedly stepping down on the stairs to the building.

“Scotty, get your ass moving ASAP!”

“Why, Hershes? And where’s that damn pegasus?”

“That’s why we’re moving out. The PLR’s got her hostage,” Hershowitz replied coldly as he wrenched the door open and sat inside, his SCAR-L at the ready. Garrett was the last to clamber into the Humvee as it started up again.

Suddenly, at least four PLR technicals zoomed out from in front of them, marking the start of the chase.

“Hit the pedal!”

“Got it!” Scott slammed his foot down on the pedal and they were well on their way to rescue the pegasus from the clutches of the PLR, “These guys are really beginning to tick me off!”

“No shit!” Miles echoed as he maneuvered the remote controlled missile launcher towards the rear technicals as they pelted the hardened Humvee with rounds and rounds of 50.caliber bullets. “Take this, you fuckers!” The launcher reverberated as a shrieking missile struck the technical, causing it to spin uncontrollably and eventually crashing into a building, blowing up in the process.

Garrett was too busy pulling out his pistol and blasting away at the gunners of the speeding vehicles when he noticed something large and brown approaching from the rear. “That’s bollocks! We’ve got another Tunguska on our tails!”

“Shit!” Hershowitz grunted as both of them pulled their heads into the vehicle before the outside was filled with lead. “Miles! Take out that AA!”

“Already on it!” Miles pulled the trigger and sent another missiles soaring at the pursuing Tunguska, narrowly missing it as it continued firing at the Humvee. “Shit! I missed the shot!”

“Fuck me! Scotty, take another way out!” Scott immediately spun the wheel of the Humvee, causing it to skid towards the right to avoid the oncoming Tunguska. Barreling through stalls and stalls filled with various and useless goods, they ended up on an intersection with a hanging sign that showed the directions to the Monolith.

Scott looked to his left and found the technicals slowing down as they passed through the alleyways. The Tunguska however was still on their tail.

“Fuckin’ hell! Shoot it again!”

“Aye, aye! Missile out!” Miles shouted as the killing missiles screamed and finally gutted the Tunguska, sending its metal husk flying into the air and crashing into a wrecked bus. “Yes!”

“Keep your eyes peeled! We’re approaching the crash zone now!” Hershowitz barked as they reached an intersection where they would meet up with the techinicals once more. Miles responded by turning back the missile launcher on them before letting loose one more missile that destroyed another technical.

Another two supporting technicals emerged from the side of the Humvee, trying to put it into a vicegrip. Miles was unsure who to engage until finally he maneuvered the launcher onto the one to the left.

“Miles! Take that fucker out! I got the other one!” Hershowitz barked as his SCAR-L flared up, killing the gunner of the other one before his stream of bullets collided with the driver of the technical. A splatter of blood marked the kill as the technical was sent straight into the burnt out remains of a T-72, causing it to flip over and crash into the shattered streets.

“He’s a goner!” The missile launcher fired once more, destroying the flanking technical and sending its remains into the sign above. “Where are we, Scotty?!”

“On the 6th Kalishkaya District! We’re nearing the al-Montyak park!” It was then they heard the booms of a tank firing ahead and the sounds of RPG fire, before Hershowitz’s radio crackled to life.

Retribution here, what’s happening down there?” Finally, now he could explain everything that had happened to accumulate into this intense chase. He was also slightly glad that maybe they would be able to get some armored support from the crew of the Retribution, but the most important things so far was Rainbow Dash taken hostage and the crashed Osprey.

“God fucking hell! Retribution, we have a hostage inside a tango I repeat, hostage inside a tango! And you wouldn’t believe it if I told you who that hostage is! We’re traveling down the streets with three technicals pursuing and multiple PLR incoming! Where the fuck are you?” Hershowitz took a breath in from the amount of words he spouted out.

He heard them mutter something off the radio before the tank’s main gun rumbled again. “Shit! We can hear that, Captain! We’re nearing the al-Montyak park near the Monolith! Are you guys there with the Osprey?” It was then he heard another familiar voice go through the radio.

More of our boys? Fuck yes! Lead the technicals here, maybe the Retribution and us can set up an ambush for these Iranian bastards!” At that moment, Hershowitz as well as Scott and Miles immediately knew who was speaking.

The pilot of the Viper known as Gunslinger 5-7, the one who had saved them from total destruction in the village. But now was not the time to recollect memories and Hershowitz quickly responded.

“We can try that! But if we say do not shoot the lead technical, follow our orders! There’s a fucking pegasus that can talk stuck in the backseat!” It was a while before Noah responded, his voice showing that he was in dismay.

Say that again, Lieutenant?” The launcher fired again and struck the third technical, leaving behind two speeding away towards the park.

“I said, we have a talking pegasus from a TV show as the PLR’s hostage, and I’m dead serious or else we wouldn’t be out here, wouldn’t we!?” Hershowitz angrily barked into the radio as he saw three soldiers appear on the rooftops, one of them holding an RPG. “Shit! RPGs!”

“Swervin’!” Scott responded as the RPG flared and nearly hit them, the wielder shortly killed by a trained burst from Hershowitz’s SCAR-L. Far ahead, they could see the flashes of light and the smoking ruins of the mighty Osprey, plus the wreck of a recently destroyed T-72 and the Retribution firing on the apartment blocks.

“PLR on the sidewalk!” Scott yelled as the PLR soldiers he mentioned popped up and engaged them from behind a neglected telephone booth. Miles spun his wrist, also spinning the launcher, and sent a missile that blew up the soldiers sky high.

The Captain returned to the radio. “Lieutenant, does the sniper still have ammo for his fifty caliber?” This was an odd question, but nevertheless Hershowitz asked the sniper who was busy changing the clip of his MP443.

“Let me check…” He returned to his seat. “Garrett! You still have ammo for the M82?” Garrett also returned to his seat as he felt his vest for the magazines.

“I still have three magazines left! Why’d ask so?” Garrett responded before blindfiring on the technicals ahead.

“I don’t know!” Hershowitz frantically responded, contacting Noah again. “Captain! Why’d you ask about it?” It was a while before the Captain responded as they edged closer to the Retribution and the Osprey.

Good! Lieutenant, I need you to make a roadblock for them with the sniper facing the technical with the hostage!” It took both the sniper and the Lieutenant a while to realize what he meant.

“Wait a minute, you don’t mean to say…?”

Yes, he’s going to have to snipe the engine block,” Noah responded as Garrett’s mind raced to accept this objective. “And we’re going to eliminate the other guys in the meantime!” Hershowitz grunted in approval and looked back at the sniper.

“Sounds like a solid plan to me, let’s go! Scotty, full speed ahead! Make sure Garrett’s facing the technicals!” Hershowitz ordered, the grizzled engineer grunted in approval before they sped up, bypassing them in a matter of mere seconds.

It was not long before a speeding AP shell was sent spiraling at them from an alleyway, narrowly missing them for the fourth time today. “Shit! What the fuck was that?”

Garrett was the first to recognize what was coming out of the alleyway, the monstrous bulk of the same Russian tank they had squared off against earlier this week. “Now this is bloody ridiculous! We’ve got a bloody T-90 on our tails again!”

Hershowitz cursed to himself, this city was littered with these PLR bastards intending to gut all of them. The Retribution’s captain also cursed as he directed the barrel towards the pursuing T-90.

“Holy fuck! It’s firin’ again!” Scott yelled as another round shrieked past them, turning a part of the street ahead into a gaping crater. Very close to the downed Osprey, he hit the brakes and skidded onto the Humvee’s right. Garrett took this time to quickly re-equipped his Barrett M82 and deploy it for the neutralization of the technical with the cyan pegasus/hostage inside.

“Garrett’s ready! Give the go before we’re toast!” Hershowitz said once more as he noticed the pilot of the Osprey holding up a Javelin locking onto the T-90. He silently hoped they wouldn’t die for nothing.

Not yet, anyway.

It was a while before the order that will most likely save Rainbow Dash’s life was given. Now was the chance to be a hero again, but little mattered of that fact.

Fire.” Everything slowed down as everyone from both sides fired all their weaponry in a heated exchange.

Author's Note:

I wrote about the chase to give myself an excuse to use this OST from a godawful game; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQO0Brj0PQ8