• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 7,250 Views, 166 Comments

Becoming Twilight - RandomGreymane



Twilight has recently become an alicorn. But being reborn isn't all it's cracked up to be...

  • ...
21
 166
 7,250

Chapter 8

Becoming Twilight - Chapter 8 by RandomGreymane (Mike Hebel)


The train to Canterlot station didn’t take any longer than usual but for Applejack it was far too much time to think. The experiences of the previous day were far too fresh for them not to be foremost in her mind.

“Is this seat taken?” a quavering voice asked.

Looking up Applejack saw an elderly tan earth pony mare. “Nope.” said Applejack smiling “Help yerself.”

“Don’t mind if I do.” the old mare said “My hooves are so tired I don’t even care if you are a freak of nature.”

“Say what now?” said Applejack taken aback.

Just then the train pulled into Canterlot station and the whistle sounded. Applejack tried to stand but the car full of ponies kept her from doing so until they had emptied out somewhat. By that time the elderly mare had managed to work her way out into the crowd. Applejack tried to catch up but she was shoo’d away by a younger mare with the same colors.

“Git! How dare you approach my mother!” the young mare said “Momma let’s get away from this...thing!”

Applejack just stood there stunned as she watched the two ponies make their way off the station platform and into the busy streets.

Twilight ah hope yer right ‘bout all this. Applejack thought to herself Ah may have magick but ‘tain’t gonna help anypony if they won’t set fer me tuh help them.

Applejack continued down the side street towards Roundabouts. It wasn’t a far walk by her standards but she noticed that the castle looked a little smaller when she got to her destination.

Roundabouts was in and of itself a round building. The center contained an open kitchen surrounded by a ring of countertop and that in turn surrounded by a ring of booths against the outer walls near the windows. Dead square in the center was a spiral staircase leading to the food storage beneath the building.

Applejack entered through the front doors made of thick curved glass balanced so as to swing with ease.

Class establishment. thought Applejack.

As her practice Applejack had left on the earliest train and thus arrived just as the breakfast rush was hitting full swing. Orders taken were immediately acted upon and the sounds of cooking filled the room. In the center of it all stood a heavyset colt with a spatula on his flank. Without hesitating he directed everypony around him. In turn he also talked casually with the customers at the dining counters in-between directing what could only be described as organized chaos.

Looks fer all the world like a square dance. Applejack thought as she watched each pony in the center kitchen go from one task to another without missing a beat and somehow without colliding with each other.

Applejack approached the counter and took a seat in an empty space along the ring. Within moments a waitress came and asked her for her order.

“A green apple and walnut salad with some of them there croûtons.” Applejack stated “And if y’all could tell Bean that Applejack’s here ta see him I’d be might obliged.”

Upon hearing Applejack’s name the waitress looked visibly startled but nodded and hurried off into the swirl of the kitchen activity. Watching her go Applejack just shook her head sadly.

It didn’t take long for Applejack’s food to be served from the highly efficient kitchen. All the time though Applejack caught the staff glancing at her when they thought she wasn’t looking.

Twilight what the hay have you done. Applejack thought to herself in-between bites.

Eventually as Applejack finished her meal a heavyset pony with the cutie mark of three kidney beans on his flank approached her.

“Howdy Bean!” Applejack greeted the pony with a smile. “Looks like business is booming!”

“It is indeed Applejack!” Bean said returning the enthusiasm. “I’m just about to start inventory and I’m a little behind. Mind if we talk downstairs?”

“Not’tall Bean.” Applejack said following the colt down the spiral staircase.

Beneath the restaurant it was plain why it was not built close to any other buildings as the storage downstairs extended far beyond the outside walls of the restaurant above. Looking down the rows Applejack couldn’t see the ends of them as they faded from view due to light and distance.

Applejack whistled in awe “This is one big place ya gots here Bean. Bigger ‘n the last time I saw it.”

“Yep.” said the colt proudly “In fact we’re part of the Equestrian food reserve storage. Though we’re not anywhere near the top of that list mind you.”

“Seems a mighty large place that could hold a lot of apples.” Applejack said carefully.

“Yeah...about that...” Bean hesitated before continuing “Roundabouts is doing good but we have a benefactor that pays a lot of our bills in return for being able to store his own food down here. He’s been putting his hoof down a lot lately and the latest is that the choice is him or you. He heard about the new building and the magick and he won’t store his food near yours.”

“Ah see....” said Applejack hanging her head.

“Applejack I can’t run Roundabouts without his bits. Not yet at least.” Bean continued “If I could make up his revenue somehow...” Bean shrugged.

“I hears ya.” Applejack said sighing a little “Ah don’t blame ya Bean. Ah can’t say ah’d do the same in yer position but I understands it. Thank yah kindly fer bein’ up front with me. Ah appreciate it.”

Bean looked at her sadly “For what it’s worth I think what you just did was amazing.”

Not speaking a word but nodding her thanks Applejack wound her way back up the spiral staircase and out the glass doors of the restaurant.

============

The train ride home was uneventful and she didn’t even notice the ponies avoiding her on the train. At the Ponyville station Twilight was there to meet her.

“Things didn’t go so well?” Twilight asked hugging Applejack in greeting.

“Oh Twi...it was awful.” Applejack said separating from Twilight’s hug.

“Well Pinkie and I...er...discussed...some things while you were gone and I think I might have a solution.” Twilight said nervously watching a tuft of pink mane disappear into a nearby bush that she swore wasn’t there before.

“Iffen y’all got something ta fix this Twilight ah’m all ears.” Applejack said brightening a bit as they left the station.

“Gardening classes.” Twilight said simply following her friend down to the road.

Applejack stopped in her tracks “Gardening classes.”

“Eeeyup.” Twilight said doing her best impression of Big Macintosh.

“How the HAY are gardening classes gonna get other ponies to not fear....oh.” Applejack said with a strange expression on her face.

“Y’know fer a country farm pony yer pretty bright.” Twilight said now trying to imitate Applejack’s drawl instead.

Grinning Applejack suddenly bumped Twilight off the path into a bush that was definitely there. To Applejack’s surprise she heard Twilight say “See Pinkie! I do know how to fix this one!”

Shaking her head and laughing to herself under hear breath Applejack continued her long walk back to Apple Acres.

==============

A couple more weeks passed and Applejack and Twilight met with the other girls at the local cafe and discussed the plans for opening the gardening glasses. During that time Apple Acres lost two more customers. Applejack didn’t bother to hunt them up as it didn’t immediately affect the bottom line of the farm this year thanks to the payment from the crown for their entire cellar of food earlier.

When the time came Twilight once again stood out front of the Twilight Council building speaking from a podium.

“It has, sadly, come to my attention that some of you are discriminating against Applejack due to what we built here. And that’s just wrong.” Twilight said looking directly at the crowd to drive the point home.

Clearing her throat Twilight continued “This is in part my fault. I explained on some level that Applejack was helping me discover earth pony magick and she was. What I did not explain was that Applejack is not the only earth pony with magick. All earth ponies have some magick if only related to their cutie marks. More often than not though earth ponies have a special connection to growing things. To that end I’m going to make two requests of you all. You don’t have to follow them but I’d be disheartened if you didn’t.”

Pausing again Twilight found the crowd was silent except for a couple of coughs. Taking a sip from a glass of water Twilight again continued.

“The first...is that I ask you to remember that all ponies are just that. Ponies. Our cutie marks or colors may be the same or different but we are all ponies in the end. And that should be the end of it. In days gone by the three pony races fought over who was better and in the end we found that we were better as the sum of our hearts than alone. There’s a reason why we are able to do so much as ponies versus other races. We embrace our differences. We coexist with each other. In Harmony. That’s the goal here. Harmony. To do anything but weakens us. And if I know anything about you ponies it is that you are not weak.”

Twilight looked into the crowd and found every pony looking at her in rapture with expressions of pride and happiness on their faces.

“To that end I come to my second request. I have bought Applejack a small plot of land at the other end of town. On this land, once a week, she will hold a simple get-together for gardening. This get-together will be open to everyone. At these get-togethers Applejack will help any ponies test themselves for a connection to the earth and earth pony magick. Applejack will then, if they’re willing, train them in awakening that magick within them.”

Twilight paused again and took a breath before continuing “I however will NOT initially be at these get-togethers for obvious reasons. Besides having my own magickal studies and duties to conduct it’s important for you to understand that other than guiding Applejack’s gifts I did not create them. Earth pony magick has always been there. I suspect it was discovered once then lost to time. I know that this may be hard for some of you to understand but please believe me when I say that what Applejack can do is doable by many many others and is in no way....freakish.”

Twilight concluded “Being a princess comes with a lot of responsibility. Being a good pony comes with much more. Please. All of you. Be good ponies. Thank you.”

The crowd clapped politely for quite some time then started to break up. Once most of them were gone Applejack emerged from the council building looking nervous.

“Ah sure hope this here helps clear up the situation.” she said in concern “Ah’m sure ah can show some of them the ropes iffen they let me but will they let me?”

“Only time will tell.” Twilight said “Only time...”

==============

Exactly a week later Applejack stood at the edge of town in a fairly large field. A light breeze blew her mane before settling down. In front of her stood a stack of pots, a large container of clean dirt, and multiple small bags of seeds.

Waiting patiently Applejack turned Twilight’s speech over and over in her mind. She was so preoccupied that she didn’t notice the approach of a mare and her young filly.

“Excuse me?” the mare spoke up breaking Applejack’s mental loop “I’ve come to have my daughter tested for earth pony magick.”

“Glad tah meetcha!” Applejack said shaking the mare’s hoof “Well ah can’t guarantee anything but ah’m gonna do what ah can do and we’ll go from there. Deal?” Applejack asked seeing the mare smile.

“Deal!” said the young filly speaking up brightly.

“Now what’s yer name there sugarcube?” Applejack asked the young filly.

“Leaf!” answered the filly.

“We have no idea why we named her that either.” her mother said “It just came to us. Her father and I are in the woodworking business but leaf doesn’t have her cutie mark yet. When I heard the princess speak the other day I thought that this just might be the right thing for my daughter.”

“Well we’ll certainly give it a whirl won’t we Leaf?” Applejack asked happily.

Leaf just smiled and nodded.

“Okay sugarcube let’s get started.” said Applejack “Grab a pot from over there and fill it with dirt from the container.”

Leaf carefully lifted one of the pots in her hooves and used it to scoop dirt from the container until it was almost full.

“Good girl!” Applejack said “Now look at the bags of seeds and decide which one ya like the best then take one of those seeds. It’s always easier tah grow whatcha like.”

“I like sunflowers!” Leaf said taking a single sunflower seed from the bag and putting it in the center of the pot.

“Great! Now push the seed just a little under tha dirt then cover it right up.” said Applejack looking into the pot as Leaf did as instructed “Now ah wantcha to just sit down over there with the pot in front of ya. ‘K?”

“Will do.” Leaf said beaming as she took a seat.

“Ya all settled there? Good. Now I wantcha to close yer eyes and imagine a line running from the ground, up through the pot, and into the seed.” Applejack instructed “Got that?”

“Got it....I think...” Leaf said “It’s kinda hard but...there!”

Leaf suddenly saw a bright green glowing line from the earth directly to the seed. It was like the pot didn’t exist any more.

“Awesome!” said Applejack “Now make that line bigger and stronger and keep doing that until I tell yer tah stop.”

“Okay!” said Leaf.

While she was concentrating on Leaf several other mares and colts had appeared with their children. Applejack wasted no time in getting them all settled and working with their own pots. She was so concentrated on the new arrivals that she forgot about Leaf for a moment until the little filly spoke up.

“Miss Applejack?” said Leaf in a worried tone of voice “I think my pot’s broken.”

Turning around Applejack noticed that all the ponies around here were staring at Leaf.

Where Leaf’s pot had sat there was now only shards and a fully grown sunflower stood.

“Well I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself.” one of the parents remarked breaking the silence.

“Leaf! Look atcher flank!” Applejack said excited.

The little filly’s flank now was adorned with a twisting green vine with leaves on it. The filly just sat staring at her flank and grinning as her mother rushed up and hugged her tightly almost colliding with the huge flower.

“Leaf!” the mare said “I’m so proud of you! We’re going home and getting you some plants right away!”

Applejack approached the mare “Yer in the wookworking business yah said?”

“Yes. My husband and I do everything from wood furniture to tiny wooden crafts. I’m Knot by the way.” the mare said holding her hoof to her chest “My husband is Birch”.

“Well seems tah me yer got just tha right family tree...er...” Applejakc said realizing the pun.

“It’s okay I’ve heard that one many times before.” Knot said giggling a bit “This is amazing! I can’t thank you enough!”

“Well seein as Leaf here is mah first student I got somethin ter give yah before yah go.” said Applejack producing a couple of small bags.

Looking into one Knot saw that it contained sunflower seeds. Smiling she handed it to Leaf who jumped in excitement. The other contained acorns.

Stunned at what that represented Knot was silent for a moment but just said “Thank you. Thank you so much!” Before Applejack could say anything Knot hugged her tightly.

Laughing Applejack stepped back and waved at Leaf as Knot led her away.

Turning around Applejack addressed the growing group “Okay. Who’s next?”

By the end of the day that portion of the field was filled with an incredible number of plants of all different types and at least one mostly grown apple tree that had blossoms on it. All in all she found twenty three different ponies who took to earth pony magick right away and several who showed great potential with some effort.

Tired Applejack wasn’t looking forward to carting all the leftover seeds and pots back to the farm. Sensing this three of the young ponies, two colts and one filly, broke away taking some of the sunflower seeds with them.

While Applejack was gathering up the things she heard several of the ponies gasp behind her. Turning quickly she saw what was for all intents and purposes a large shed made of sunflowers the stalks so tightly woven together that no light shone through.

“Well ah’ll be jiggered.” Applejack said in amazement. Approaching the building Applejack nodded her approval at the three youngsters. “Well I reckon that means I don’t have tah cart all this here stuff home. Wouldya all mind givin me a hoof putting it all in here?” she asked the parents.

Without hesitation the bags and pots were quickly stored in the sunflower shed. Concentrating a bit Applejack thickened the walls of the building and grew up a few more flowers to cover the front entrance.

Nodding in approval she addressed what was now a fairly sizable crowd “Same tahm next week y’all!”

Thanking her and smiling the crowd broke up to make their ways elsewhere.

“Ah guess Twilight was right after all.” said Applejack to herself in amazement “Not bad ifen I do say so myself.”

Leaving the sunflower building where it stood she headed in the direction of Twilights house to let her know the good news for once not caring about anything serious.

===============

Extinguishing the impromptu magickal fire in her office in the Twilight Council building Twilight Sparkle smiled and turned to her mentor who had stopped by once she’d heard what was going on.

“Well Twilight you certainly handled that one well.” Princess Celestia remarked with her usual casual smile “The last time ponies became aware of earth pony magick it got very ugly very quickly.”

“I like to think we’re just a little more evolved than that now.” said Twilight smiling “Though if you wouldn’t mind I’d like you to see if you can’t find a better benefactor for Bean. Doesn’t the Royal Equestrian Navy need a place to store it’s supplies? I believe Roundabouts is near enough by airship to transport those goods as needed.”

“Indeed it is. And I will also begin organizing the funds for Applejack’s School for Gifted Growers.” Celestia said smirking a bit and winking.

“You do that but keep in mind how proud Applejack is.” Twilight warned “Likely she’ll refuse anything she can’t either pay for on her own or trade or grow with he students.”

“As well she should. I was only planning on initial...seed funding.” Celestia said giggling.

“Would you excuse me a second Tia?” Twilight asked politely.

“Not at all.” Celestia said looking out a nearby window.

“Thanks!” Twilight said as she closed the door behind her. With a glow of her horn the inside of her office suddenly rained pillows as Twilight swiftly crumpled up a letter from Princess Luna and hastily teleported elsewhere.

One of the guards stationed nearby for the second time in his life heard a royal princess’s muffled laughter.