• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 7,253 Views, 166 Comments

Becoming Twilight - RandomGreymane



Twilight has recently become an alicorn. But being reborn isn't all it's cracked up to be...

  • ...
21
 166
 7,253

Chapter 5

Becoming Twilight - Chapter 5 by RandomGreymane (Mike Hebel)


“Because we can’t. It’s as simple as that.” Princess Luna told Twilight while reclining comfortably on a cloud in a quiet corner of the library after hours.

“Pardon?” asked Twilight choking slightly on her tea.

“You got some tea there on your face my dear.” Luna continued without missing a beat and levitating a napkin to wipe the tea off of a stunned Twilight’s face “It’s one of the few things we simply can’t teach you.”

Still looking slightly stunned Twilight asked “Why? I mean it’s not really all that hard a problem is it?”

“You’d think so but you’d be wrong.” Luna said levitating a fresh cup of tea to her lips “The reason lies in the very things that make us distinct and special.”

“I don’t follow.” said Twilight refilling her tea as well.

“Hmm....let me put this another way. Would you ever tell Cadance how to spread love? Me how to raise the moon? Celestia the sun?”

“Well...no...” Twilight hesitated “...not unless something were really out of whack that is.” she finished grinning awkwardly.

“Exactly my dear.” Luna managing to return Twilight’s grin complete with a mockery of the awkwardness and a wink “Each of us has our own special methods for dealing with life that we’ve developed. These are things we just can’t teach. You have to develop them on your own. Frankly you’re better at that than most but things are just hitting you a little hard. That happens for a while after you gain your wings so to speak.”

“How long does it take to get the hang of all this!” huffed Twilight in exasperation.

“The rest of your life.” Luna said matter-of-factly hearing a teacup clatter to the floor and glancing in Twilight’s direction “Oh close your mouth dear. This isn’t exactly that big of a surprise if you consider all you’ve learned. You’re immortal now. You have to stop thinking in such small terms.”

“I just...I’ve been so busy just handling one thing after another that I didn’t...” Twilight stammered “...but Cadance seems to have it all together! Doesn’t she?”

Luna carefully set the teacup onto the table a strange expression on her face. Then despite her restraint she started laughing. Quietly at first and increasing in volume until the entire tree shook.

“I’ll take that as a no...” said Twilght.

“Forgive me my dear princess. That was cruel and unbecoming of me and I apologize.” Luna said composing herself “We all have our moments Twilight. I spent 1000 years in the moon for my greatest failure if you recall. Cadance spent some time in the caverns beneath Canterlot for her latest failure. Tia...well ask her about hers as it’s not my story to tell.”

Yeah...like that’s going to happen. thought Twilight.

“Oh don’t be so quick to hold her up on a pedestal Twilight” said Luna catching the stray thought “She’s pony like the rest of us. And frankly she needs more than just me to be close to her.”

A piece of cheese with wings flew in through a window and landed on the table with the note Eat Me attached to it.

“Oh dear. We haven’t much time left.” said Luna sadly “Quickly - two things. 1) Everything lasts as long as the people remember it . 2) Immortality is not godhood.” she continued a red clown nose appearing on her face “We’re all ponies in the end.”

Twilight sat bolt upright to a loud banging noise downstairs. Noting that it was not even dawn yet she realized that Scootaloo must have arrived to get her for their morning workout. Leaning over she quickly levitated the dream diary and a pencil and sketched down all she could recall of the dream.

Getting up she quickly grabbed her brush and brushed her mane while trotting down the stairs to get the door.

It wasn’t Scootaloo.

Standing in the doorway was a trio of identical grey ponies all with cutie marks of scrolls and inkwells.

“Umm...hello?” said Twilight trying to recall if she’d ever seen identical triple cutie marks before.

The middle pony stepped forward and bowed in unison with the other two. “Princess Twilight we are the scroll brothers. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna sent us to help you set up. We are honored. My name is Papyrus and these are my brothers Reed and Ink”

“Set...up?” Twilight said “What exactly am I setting up?”

“The Twilight Council of course.” said Papyrus blinking in surprise.

“COUNCIL?!” Twilight exclaimed loudly causing several of the lights in nearby houses to appear in windows “Since when do I have a council???!”

“Please calm yourself Princess Twilight.” said Papyrus making hushing motions with his hooves “Oh dear! Princess Celestia feared you’d react like this! She said to tell you that because you are the princess in charge of the time between day and night you get to share in their unmitigated joy!”

“JO!?...*ahem* joy?” Twilight asked “What do you mean by that? I’ve attended several council meetings over the years with Princess Celestia and joy would not be one word I’d ever use to describe them.”

“Well what could be more joyous than helping other people?” replied Papyrus with a smile on his face that Twilight had only seen before when Fluttershy tried to hide things from her. Sighing she facehooved and slumped slightly.

“What indeed.” she said wearily.

“Now!” said Papyrus his enthusiasm clearly unaffected “The first thing we have to consider is which wing of this building we’re going to convert....has to be near an entrance...maybe we can knock a hole for a new doorway....”

“OH NO YOU DON’T!” shouted Twilight getting in front of Papyrus before he could move any further “THIS IS MY HOME!”

Taken by surprise Papyrus stopped cold and looked at Twilight like he was seeing her for the first time. “But a princess mm-ust have a council chamber!” he stammered.

Regaining her composure Twilight backed out of his personal space a bit. “Perhaps” she said “but it is not going to be here. Got that?” she finished leaning in and using a technique Fluttershy taught her using one eye and an eyebrow to make the point.

“Umm...er...got it your highness.” Papyrus said cringing a bit before her gaze.

Before they could get any further the entire room was enveloped in a flash of light. Dazzled for a moment Twilight only just caught a pony with a camera slipping back out the front door.

Oh nuts. Inkblot is going to have a field day with this.

“Was that?...” Reed asked speaking up for the first time.

“Unfortunately yes that was likely somepony from the press taking a candid photo.” said Twilight sighing a bit.

“I’m sure it was nothing.” said Papyrus reassuringly “The press loves to record these current events for prosperity.”

“Anyways...back on topic...” Twilight continued rolling her eyes “I think I can come up with something better. Give me a couple of days to check around. I’m sure there are much more suitable places than the library and I frankly refuse to have everypony tramping into my home. Er...for anything other than a book that is.”

“Very well your highness. Now about the council member selection.” Papyrus said producing a clipboard from nowhere “We obviously can’t just have anypony...”

“Council selection can wait until we’re further along Papyrus.” said Twilight sternly “If I have to have a council there are a number of things that have to be set in place. And I supposed I have to consult Princess Celestia as to the extents of my...er...powers of state.”

“I understand your highness. I will put a hold on the rest of the measures until we find a suitable place to hold the council. However...” Papyrus said digging in his saddlebags “...the second portion of your concerns is likely resolved by this.” he said as he finished rummaging and produced a very ornate scroll with rainbow colored wax and the seal of the sun on it.

Twilight took the scroll and opened it and read it aloud. “I Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria in sound mind and health, do so decree that Princess Twilight Sparkle doth have powers of judgment and law up to and including any decisions normally within my power to make except when as overruled by other princesses in Equestria.”

Finished reading Twilight carefully rolled the scroll back up and re-sealed it with a quick glow of magick.

Then she promptly fainted.

============================================================

Twilight groaned as she came back to consciousness. Not even the benefit of a dream. she thought.

“Let’s hope this is not becoming a habit for you my little princess.” said a familiar voice in her ear.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight cried wrapping both her forelegs around the neck of her mentor “You’re here!”

“It’s quite all right to call me Celestia when we’re alone Twilight.” said the white alicorn smiling and returning the hug.

“I know...I just feel weird about it still.” Twilight confessed.

“So did Cadance at first.” replied Celestia untangling herself “It took that silly girl 75 years before she was able to drop the honorific in private. It was extremely frustrating. Please don’t take so long?”

It might take me longer than that. Twilight thought. Outwardly she just nodded and said “I’ll do my best...Celestia...Tia?”

Chuckling slightly Celestia smiled “Tia is also just fine Twilight. We’re all going to be together a long long time hopefully and being close when we take off the crowns helps greatly. Trust me on this one.”

“I can only imagine.” said Twilight a little more at ease and sitting up in her bed “Umm...I’m guessing that Papyrus panicked when I fainted and called the only person he thought was able to handle a ‘princess down’ situation?”

“Got it in one Twilight.” replied Celestia the smile fading from her face “Please try not to do that again. Papyrus is a good pony but very skittish when out of his element.”

Laughing nervously Twilight said “I’ll...um...see what I can do about that.”

“See that you do.” a tinge of hardness colored Celestia’s voice but was immediately gone “Now...about your council...”

“Yeah that was a bit of a shock but not so much as was the scroll giving me essentially free reign over Equestria. Celestia’s Be...*cough*...That really surprised me!” Twilight said quickly correcting herself “I mean unless you or Luna or Cadance overruled me I could easily order all of Ponyville into the mirror pond or something!”

“Well first - I did have a beard once. Worst joke my sister played on me. It lasted over 50 years and is still a part of Equestrian culture to this day.” shaking her head in frustration Celestia continued “Second while I’d like to say that seeing a full field of mirror ponies would be fantastic I’m fairly certain you wouldn’t do that. Your ascension to a princess was not by chance remember. You earned it. And because of the qualities that you earned those wings with it’s unlikely that bad judgment and a lust for power would be a problem any time soon.”

Stunned Twilight just sat there looking at Celestia a bit before speaking. “I’ve always known you’ve had faith in me but I think this is really the first time it’s struck home.” Celestia just smiled.

A few moments passed quietly before Celestia broke the silence. “You know we did use that mirror pond ourselves a long long time ago my sister and I.”

“What for?” asked Twilight suddenly intrigued “What use could you possibly had for multiple ponies that are basically insane?”

“War.” Celestia replied simply “We were at war.”

“I’ve read almost every book about war and I’ve not read one thing about multiple ponies in battle.” Twilight said skeptically.

“Actually...you have.” said Celestia moving to peer at the birds out of Twilight’s window “Do you recall the legend of Star Shadow?”

“Of course!” exclaimed Twilight “He’s one of the best known warriors that fought against Discord! He was unable to be stopped by Discord because he could be everywhere at once and he couldn’t be...killed...oh...no!”

“Star Shadow was an exceptional pony. Physically strong but most of all one of the keenest minds I’ve ever met.” Celestia said still looking out the window “And that made all the difference. We were desperate and hadn’t worked out using the Elements against Discord yet. We tested hundreds of ponies but every one except Star Shadow’s copies became insane within a day of being created. It is well that you stopped Pinkie when you did.” she said quickly looking at Twilight and smiling again.

“I never knew...” said Twilight softly “All those copies dead. They’re copies of course but still...”

“No one ever has known until now.” said Celestia sadly “And that is yet another thing you’ll develop a penchant for as a princess - secrets. Like it or not you’ll end up with quite a few.”

Pondering for a moment Twilight suddenly looked directly into Celestia’s eyes “I’m not keeping secrets from my friends - the bearers. Not anything more than a birthday surprise or the tiniest of white lies.”

“Nor would I expect you too.” Celestia said in equal seriousness “Nor would I expect you to keep them from your sisters as well. And that goes both ways. As a princesses of the realm we no longer hide things from one another. As you felt when we were joined so it is in life.”

Twilight suddenly blushed thinking about certain private fantasies.

“Oh my dear! You’re turning red!” said Celestia in mock horror “Oh whatever could you be thinking about!” she continued grinning at Twilight’s blushing face before laughing to set her at ease “Relax Twilight. We may wear the crowns, we may parade around proudly, some of us shine like the stars, but as my sister is wont to say - we are all ponies in the end.”

“Good to know.” said Twilight the color fading from her cheeks.

“Why there was this one time I met a guard that caused me such a scandal....” Celestia said giggling.

Very soon Twilight was blushing again. All the while a small green dragon slept through the stories. Willed to sleep by a sunlit princess and cradled in dreams by a moonlit one.

========================================================

Much later in the pre-dawn Twilight got up and brushed her hair as Celestia teleported off to perform her morning duties.

Celestia had sent Papyrus and his brothers away but Twilight knew she would likely have to deal with them in the near future. And of course the fallout from the press after the picture of her screaming at the Canterlot ponies hits the paper.

I’m all for a free press but damn that is going to suck. thought Twilight as she consumed a sandwich of watercress and bean sprouts. I can only imagine what Inkblot is writing for this morning edition.

She didn’t have to wait long as Scootaloo stopped by with the morning edition she’d been given by Rarity as she’d passed the boutique in town headed for Twilight’s tree. Twilight thanked Scootaloo and gave her a few bits to go treat her friends and promised to resume exercising with her tomorrow.

Sipping at a cup of coffee Twilight settled down to read.

===

Trying times for Ponyville?

Today this humble writer was disgusted to learn of yet another negative event related to our “patchwork princess”.

Our beloved Princess Celestia was kind enough to send her best preparatory ponies to the great and powerful Twilight Sparkle...excuse me...PRINCESS Twilight Sparkle so she could set up for the Twilight Council.

(Though it bothers this pony to no end that someone as unprepared and unrefined as Princess Sparkle has been allowed to set up a council in the first place.)

When the council ponies arrived they were immediately subjected to an angry screaming outburst by our beloved patchwork princess to the point that PRINCESS Twilight Sparkle fainted!

She fainted! Have you ever heard of such a thing? I have not heard of one incident of any of the other princesses fainting! Must have been tired and shagged out after her long squawk at the aforementioned Canterlot ponies.

I can see it now....”I couldn’t attend the council meeting because I fainted.” or how about “I’m sorry but I couldn’t keep that pack of timberwolves from killing those ponies because I fainted at the sight of them!”.

Once again I must call for a closer look into Princess Twilight Sparkle’s character here. If Equestria is to have another princess she must obviously be as strong as all the others. Princess Luna spent 1000 years on the moon, Princess Celestia spent 1000 years without her sister, Tartarus! even Princess Cadance spent almost a month in the caves beneath Canterlot grubbing for pure survival! We should expect no less from our newest princess and...fainting...should not be an option!

I fear living in an Equestria with only Princess Twilight Sparkle to govern and defend us. (Celestia knows that wouldn’t happen of course as our goddesses are thankfully immortal.) What kind of future would that be?

We need protection and guidance not Patchwork Princess Sparkle!

Inkblot
Managing Editor
Twisted Times
===

Twilight set the Times down on the table continuing to eat her breakfast.

Well that obviously could have gone better. she thought What do I need to do to get this pony off my back??

Putting the breakfast dishes into the sink and starting the water to wash them Twilight couldn’t help but wonder where the next attack from Inkblot was going to come from.

While she was cleaning up Spike wandered in a bit groggy having just woken up.

“Hello sleepyhead!” Twilight said smiling at him “Looks like someone got a good night’s sleep!”

“I dreamed I went on a date with Rarity.” said Spike yawning while pulling a box of gems from the cupboard “It was awesome!” he finished with a smile as he popped a gem in his mouth and began to chew.

Twilight giggled and finished up the dishes. Her mirth left her abruptly with Spike’s next question.

“Did I miss anything?”