• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 7,250 Views, 166 Comments

Becoming Twilight - RandomGreymane



Twilight has recently become an alicorn. But being reborn isn't all it's cracked up to be...

  • ...
21
 166
 7,250

Chapter 4

Becoming Twilight by RandomGreymane (Mike Hebel)

Chapter 4


For the second day in a row Twilight woke to somepony banging on her front door.

“Spike..could you ge...” Twilight started to say half awake. With the next loud bang she sat bolt upright in her bed realizing Spike would not be answering the door and just as suddenly remembering why.

“Be there in a moment!” Twilight yelled loudly

Pausing only to brush her hair she fled down the stairs noticing the sun had just risen. Who would be here so early? she thought to herself as she came to a stop by the door.

Breathing in and out slowly to try and calm herself Twilight opened the door to find Scootaloo waiting impatiently for her.

“Ya ready to start the morning routine?” Scootaloo asked tapping her hoof in annoyance. “I usually start earlier than this but I figure a princess doesn't get up that early.”

“Oh....” Twilight said trying to think of a way to politely decline. Failing that and suddenly hearing Rainbow Dash yelling at her in her head she said “Okay. I’ll be right there. Come in. I’ll be ready in 5.”

“Make it 4.” said Scootaloo imitating Rainbow Dash quite effectively but grinning all the same.

“Right!” exclaimed Twilight rushing to the bathroom and completing her morning routine in record time. Arriving back in the front room with time to spare. “Let’s get going then.”

Scootaloo only smiled widely and headed out the door with Twilight in tow.

“Where do you usually exercise?” Twilight asked trying to keep her mind off of recent events.

“I usually work out at the schoolyard before everypony shows up. I don’t feel like doing the exercises around anypony and the park is too far for me to get to school in time during the week.” said Scootaloo as she walked.

Schoolyard? I guess that’s okay. Twilight thought to herself. It’s not like anypony will be there this time of day. I wonder what Spike is doing this morning.

As they entered the schoolyard the place was deserted except for a lone unicorn of gray and blue coloring carefully collecting the morning dew off of the grass and placing it in a bottle.

Recognizing the cutie mark of a stoppered flask Twilight called out to the pony. “Good Morning Cork!” she said waving a hoof “What brings you out so early in the morning?”

“Hello Twilight! I’m collecting components for my latest potion.” he said carefully levitating the flask into a saddlebag on his back “I’m working on a mild youth potion and the morning dew around schoolyards always has some youth to it.”

“Really? Which formula are you using for a base? The one from Practical Potions or Cantrips and Conundrums?” Twilight asked.

Before either of them could continue they were interrupted by a sharp cough from Scootaloo.

“Oh yeah. Sorry Cork I’m here with a purpose myself. Wing exercises.” Twilight said smiling at Scootaloo.

“And she sure needs them.” said Scootaloo pointedly.

“Okaaaay...” Cork said arching an eyebrow “I’ll catch you later then.”

“Definitely!” smiled Twilight watching Cork leave. Turning back to Scootaloo she apologized “Sorry. He and I went to school together. One of the best potion makers in Equestria.”

“If he can make a potion to increase wing strength then he’s worthwhile.” said Scootaloo grumpily “Otherwise he’s in the way of our training. And we’re behind schedule today anyway.”

“Er...sorry.” said Twilight apologizing again.

“Anyway let’s get started. The first thing is wing extensions....” Scootaloo said showing Twilight the routine.

They worked for an hour or more each time Scootaloo showing Twilight the exercise and Twilight following along dutifully.

No matter what exercise Twilight did though Spike was always foremost in her thoughts. She couldn't stop worrying about him. It distracted her to the point where in frustration Scootaloo called her an “egghead” and told her to get her head in the game. Twilight felt so guilty she didn't even glare at her.

Only once the sun had risen to a certain point in the sky did Scootaloo stop the exercises. By that time Twilight’s muscles ached horribly and her mane was filled with sweat.

“We’ll stop here. This is normally when I would start class. Even though it’s the weekend Rainbow Dash said to try and keep the workouts consistent so we don’t go overboard.” explained Scootaloo “Now go home and hit the showers!” she said once again imitating Rainbow Dash.

“Okay! Same time tomorrow?” Twilight asked.

“Earlier. I don’t like messing with my routine.” huffed Scootaloo putting on her helmet and getting on her scooter.

“Okay...” said Twilight watching Scootaloo buzz down the road at a fast clip before turning towards the library and walking slowly home.

Walking to the library Twilight tried to calm the buzzing swarm of thoughts in her head that the workout had pushed aside for a short time. With the workout completed her focus shifted again and they all came flooding back.

I’ve got to get a handle on all this. Twilight thought frantically I just have to get a hold of all this and sort it all out.

Not paying attention Twilight let her head droop towards the ground as she walked and unaware of the concerned looks of the ponies she passed.

Reaching the library she found a group of ponies standing outside waiting to get in to browse the stacks and check out or return books.

Hastily Twilight apologized and opened the door to let the small crowd of ponies into the library following in after everypony else.

Taking care of the patrons once again took Twilight’s thoughts off her problems for a little while. In time though her exhaustion took it’s toll and she quietly stepped into the kitchen to eat something.

The food calmed her nerves and gave her strength but in the quiet moment all the old problems loomed once again causing her to sigh loudly enough that a passing pony glanced her direction.

Looking up and smiling Twilight quickly finished her meal and went back out to help the patrons.

Her attention taken up by the patrons she however did notice that the pony she had smiled at gave her a strange look before leaving the library.

What was that all about? Twilight thought as she helped a young filly check out a book on metalworking. Some ponies are so weird sometimes.

Helping the remaining patrons took the rest of her time for that day and when it was over she once again collapsed. This time on a small reading couch near the romance section.

“What the hell am I going to do with myself?” she asked of the now empty library. “Gotta get it together Twilight.”

I better get to sleep if I’m going to be ready when Scootaloo shows up tomorrow. thought Twilight mid-yawn.

Once again when she reached her bed she collapsed into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning she woke and quickly completed her morning routine. earlier than previously planned and was outside waiting for Scootaloo just as the night sky was starting to glow with the dawn.

She didn't have to wait long before an orange blur in a helmet appeared on the road headed her direction. Screeching to a halt in front of the library Scootaloo quickly hopped off the scooter and threw something at Twilight before even taking off her helmet.

“Training is canceled for today! You've got bigger things to deal with today.” Scootaloo said.

Twilight had caught the object thrown to her with ease and found that it was the early edition of the Twisted Times - a gossip rag that was published in Ponyville once a week.

Twilight frowned as she read the article on the front page:


===

IS OUR NEW PRINCESS REALLY UP TO THE TASK?

Our newly ascended Princess Twilight Sparkle has returned to our beloved Ponyville after her ceremony in Canterlot but are we sure we want her back?

It seems that the “princess”, and I use that term loosely, had been seen to not be all she’s cracked up to be. Some recent examples:

Her flying ability is not up to par. A complaint of a collision with a building has caused Mare Mayor to settle out of court and provide repairs to the rooftop of the Galloping Glass studios on Ringer street as well as replacement of several glass items broken in the incident.

An unnamed source has confirmed that she has been taking “wing lessons” from a small foal in the schoolyard in the early hours of the morning and that “She really needs them.”.

Yesterday a patron of the Ponyville library saw her looking exhausted and stuffing herself during business hours. Perhaps it was all that training that made her tired?

We have also learned that her assistant Spike, why we still allow him to live here Celestia *cough* only knows, was injured and is in the care of the questionable Zebra healer due to the mis-application of a simple CLEANING SPELL.

Do we need somepony with her abilities when they are ill used and a potential danger to the community?

Do we need a princess who’s not up to the task? One who can’t even fly properly?

More on this story as it develops.

Inkblot
Managing Editor
Twisted Times
===


Twilight closed her eyes and angrily scrunched the paper into a tiny ball with her magick until it turned black and disappeared with a popping noise. Keeping her eyes closed she slowly concentrated on her breathing.

“For what it’s worth Twilight...” Scootaloo said shuffling her hooves a bit then putting her helmet back on “...your friends all know this stuff isn't true. And they’ll help you if you ask.”

Not opening her eyes Twilight said calmly “I know. Thanks for bringing this to me Scootaloo. Give me a couple of days to deal with this and we’ll get back to training okay?”

“You got it!” replied Scootaloo happily as she kicked her scooter into gear and was gone in a flash or orange and buzzing of wings.

Twilight stood there for a long while just breathing in and out until she heard a familiar quiet cough come from behind her. Opening her eyes she turned around to find Spike standing there.

“Spike!” she exclaimed rushing to hug him “I thought you weren't going to be back from Zecora’s for a couple more days!”

“Turns out you’re lucky that I heal fast. And that the spell you overpowered wasn't quite as complete as we thought at first.” said Spike “I missed you.” he continued in a slightly quieter tone.

“I missed you too.” said Twilight pulling away from him “I’m just glad you’re okay!”

“Fit as a fiddle!” said Spike briefly burping some fire “Enough to read the daily paper anyways. I caught the ‘Times article when I walked past the newsstand. What are you going to do about it?”

Sighing Twilight stared down at her hooves. “I don’t know. Some part of me says they’re right. That I’m not cut out for this.”

Lifting Twilight’s chin carefully with his claws Spike looked her in the eyes “I don’t believe that. And neither should you.”

A tear forming in her eye Twilight looked at Spike and asked “When the heck did you grow up?”

“Still working on it Twilight.” Spike said hugging her again “Still working on it.”

Wiping the tear away from her cheek Twilight said “Thank you.” Spike simply bowed.

“Now since it’s getting light and the library needs to be opened why don’t you go off and do whatever it is that Princess Twilight Sparkle does while I take care of things here.” Spike said opening the front door of the library and grabbing a broom just inside.

Watching him start to sweep Twilight stood there until he made shooing motions and then she started walking. Let my friends help. Well Scootaloo was right about that. I need some help and I have just the friend in mind. she thought as she headed in the direction of Carousel Boutique. Rarity always has her finger on the pulse of this town. She should be able to give me some ideas.

===

“Sweetie Belle would be a dear and get me the box of garnets from the storeroom?” Rarity said without taking her eyes off the floating materials in front of her “I need them to offset the other colors in this vest...”

Humming to herself as her sister went to retrieve the box of gems Rarity looked briefly at the pile of papers she’d accumulated from her trip to the town archives this morning. I suspect Twilight will be here any moment to ask my help. Poor thing. That article must have really hit her hard.

“Got the *mmph!* box!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle pushing a heavy box into the room slowly.

“Now now dear! Practice like I taught you!” scolded Rarity “Lift then flick!”

Grunting in a most unladylike manner Sweetie Belle concentrated until sweat appeared on her brow. Slowly her horn lit and the box lifted with a bit of a wobble and floated over to land with a thud at Rarity’s hooves as Sweetie Belle collapsed in a heap breathing heavily.

“Very good dear! This time you didn't catch my hooves and the box was steady for the most part.” Rarity said smiling “I think now is a good time for a break don’t you?”

“Ahh...yeah...” replied Sweetie Belle still out of breath “...a break would be good.”

“Well let’s go downstairs then and you can pour us both a couple of glasses of iced tea using only your magick.” said Rarity heading down the hall with Sweetie Belle in tow “And this time don’t squish the lemons!” she finished with a slight teasing tone in her voice.

“Aww maaaan...” groaned Sweetie Belle.

A little while later after a short snack of cookies and iced tea (only one slightly misshapen lemon slice included) Rarity noticed Twilight coming up the walk.

“Sweetie Belle I think we’re done for the moment. Why don’t you go out and catch up with your friends while I talk with Twilight.” Rarity said while floating the dishes into the sink without effort.

“Okay.” said Sweetie Belle giving her sister a hug before passing Twilight on her way out.

Smiling briefly as she watched the young foal pass Twilight turned to focus on Rarity. “Rarity have you got a minute?”

“For you darling I have more than a few minutes to spare.” Rarity said sweetly.

“Well....I've got this problem...” said Twilight hesitating. Why am I always so hesitant. These are my friends!

“Say no more dear. I’m assuming this is about today’s article in the Twisted Times?” said Rarity floating a fresh teapot and two cups and saucers onto the table “I believe you like Chamomile and Lavender? Once lump or two?”

“Two please. Heck I want 5 but I don’t think asking the universe for more lumps than offered is a good thing at this time.” Twilight said grinning slightly. For some reason she was a little more at ease with Rarity than the others.

“Quite understandable Twilight. Though I don’t think this newspaper drivel is enough of a lump to worry about.” Rarity said in a calming tone while floating the teapot to fill Twilight’s cup “All royalty goes through initial stages of this nature.”

“I’m well aware of that.” Twilight stated “In fact there wasn't a season that I was in Canterlot that some scandal didn't rock the foundations of the castle as...”

“The Worst Possible Thing!” both her and Rarity finished at the same time sending them into fits of giggling.

There was a few moments of silence and smiles as they both took sips of the tea then Rarity said “There now my dear. Feel a little better?”

“A little.” Twilight admitted looking into the bottom of her cup and wondering if the leaves would spell out anything.

“That’s good.” Rarity said smiling “I've prepared a dossier for you. I took the liberty early this morning to get into the Ponyville archives and collect some data. You’re not the first royal to make a stumbling entrance into Ponyville and some of the pictures alone may surprise you.”

“Really?” asked Twilight floating the folder to her side of the table.

“Really really.” Rarity replied “I promise Twilight this is all temporary. It will all pass in time. I do have some idea as to why you’re having problems with this sort of thing though. Would you like to hear my opinion?”

“Always!” exclaimed Twilight straightening up and facing her friend.

“It’s very simple dear. You’re an egghead.” Rarity said before taking a sip of tea. Swallowing she continued “And I mean no disrespect by that. Simply that in your studies you were focused on magick and technical knowledge. You never likely went to charm school so to speak so you’re rough around the edges. You need the equivalent of a little cut and polish and you’ll be right as rain.”

Twilight’s cup paused midway to her lips then she slowly set it back on the table before she started chuckling then suddenly laughing uncontrollably.

“Twilight! Whatever is the matter!” said Rarity putting down her own cup quickly. “Twilight!”

“I’m....*snort*...*giggle* sorry Rarity.” said Twilight struggling to get herself under control “But what you just told me is that I need...Princess Kindergarten.”

Rarity couldn't help chuckle herself briefly. Taking the cup up once again she said “Be that as it may the issue still stands. You need more training in the royal court as well as etiquette in general. I can help you with a lot of it but you really should get a formal trainer. This is just as important as your magick training Twilight. Just as important”

Having calmed herself Twilight only nodded while sipping the remaining tea in her cup. I wonder why the other princesses didn't get me started with that already? she thought to herself.