• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 953 Views, 21 Comments

Otherworldly - twisparkle95



It was an ordinary day for Twilight Sparkle. She had just gotten a letter from Shining Armor on his honeymoon, Celestia had given her the day off, but a third letter was going to change that.

  • ...
9
 21
 953

Day 7: Rarity

“Just a moment, please!” Rarity called from inside after Spike knocked on the door to Carousel Boutique. Spike was assisting Rarity with gem hunting today and Sapphire tagged along to meet Rarity. She opened the door.

“Oh! Spike! Sapphire! How are you doing? My apologies, I was working on the dress I want the gems we find today to be a part of.”

“It’s no problem, Rarity! Are you ready to go?” Spike asked.

"Yes, let me just lock the shop up and we'll be on our way," Rarity said. She levitated a wagon from inside her shop, closed the door, and locked it. The three of them then walked off towards the edge of town closest to Canterlot. This area appeared to be a quarry.

"You search for gems here?" Sapphire asked.

“The gems here are top quality. According to Twilight, it’s because the inside of Canterlot Mountain is a gem mine and that stretches out underground,” Rarity explained.

Sapphire turned behind him. Ponyville was a few miles behind them. “So Canterlot is built on top of a gem mine that stretches out almost to Ponyville?”

“Thats correct. Although, when it was built, nopony knew that the gems were there.” Rarity’s horn lit up.

“Oh! Spike! I’m getting something!” Rarity called. Rarity began to wander around seeming to try to close on something. Spike followed with the wagon. Eventually, she stopped.

“They’re right here,” Rarity said pointing a hoof at the ground. Sapphire walked up to what appeared to him as a boring patch of dirt and rock. Spike, however, began digging at this spot. He eventually unearthed a small group of gems. He placed them in the wagon.

“That’s incredible! You have a gem finding spell?” Sapphire was astounded.

“That’s right! In fact, it was the first spell I ever cast completely. Until this spell, all I’d been able to do is weak levitation spells that ultimately failed. One day, my horn just started glowing and dragged me all the way to a rock filled with gems, and when I laid eyes on what the spell had led me to, I got my cutie mark.. Ever since, I’ve been able to use this spell..”

Her horn went off again. “Spike, I’ve found some more!” Rarity’s call snapped Spike out of his gem trance. He brought the wagon around. Sapphire followed along. This group of gems was larger than the previous one.

“So Rarity, since we’re in appropriate company, I’ve been wondering, why do you believe me when I say I’m a human from another world?” Sapphire asked.

Rarity was tracking some more gems. “Yes. Do you remember when you first arrived? And you were asking me those questions?”

“Yes.”

Spike was digging up the lode of gems. “That’s why. You knew nothing. Everything was a blank slate to you. You didn’t even know how to walk! I’ll admit your secrets make me nervous though, but I still believe that you are foreign to this world. And so does Spikey-wikey.”

Rarity gave Spike a pat on the head as he placed a jackpot of large and various gems into the wagon. The pile now reached the top of the wagon. Sapphire couldn't help but snicker at “Spikey-wikey”. The three continued gem hunting until the pile of gems threatened to fall on them. When they returned to Carousel Boutique, Rarity gave Spike the largest ruby in the pile.

“Bye, Rarity! Bye, Sapphire! I have to go back to the library and check on Twilight. See you tonight, Sapphire.” Spike walked off carrying his ruby in his arms. Sapphire thought he had heard a sigh come from him. Sapphire turned to see the largest sapphire hovering in front of his face.

“Thank you for assisting for me today.”

“But, I didn’t even do anything.”

“Well, take it anyway. I know you miss your sapphire so take this one in the meantime.”

“But it’s the biggest one in the pile.”

“So? I have plenty to keep me working for over a while.”

“Well, thank you, Rarity.” Sapphire took the gem in his hoof and stared at it.

“Now! My inspiration for this new dress is still strong! How about you go get us lunch and I’ll close the shop while I work.”

A quick idea flashed through Sapphire’s mind. “Actually Rarity, I was wondering. I want to repay Twilight for letting me stay at her library and housing me isn’t free so I thought I might get a job to pay her back. How about it? When you get strokes of inspiration you don’t have to close the shop and you don’t have to pay me much.”

Rarity thought for a minute. “Alright, I’ll agree to it. I can’t deny that you would be a big help and I can’t say no to anyone who has such generosity.”

Rarity led him inside.

“This is the showroom. This is where all of the dresses are displayed. If you need a different size than what’s here, that backroom has them. Those rooms over there are part of my house. No customers are allowed, okay? The second floor is my bedroom and the third floor is my work room. That’s where I’ll be while working on this dress. Later, I’ll have time to give you proper training, but this should be good enough for now. Good luck!”

Rarity took the wagon in her magic and trotted upstairs with it leaving Sapphire to absorb all she said. He looked around the showroom getting a feel for where the dressing room was and how the outfits were organized. Soon, there was a knock on the door. There was a pink pegasus on the other side.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique!” Sapphire said with a large smile.

“Ugh, a newbie. Fine! Whatever! Just don’t screw up. I have a date tonight and I need something fancy,” she said.

“No problem!” Sapphire said. Stuck up rich girl. Sapphire dug around a group of dresses looking for something good.

“What’s taking so long?!” she called.

“Just a minute!” So help me... He returned with a green dress fit for a cocktail party.

“Are you kidding me? I look awful in green!”

“It’s only the first one. There are plenty of others.” Pink, pink... what goes with pink? He found a black dress and brought it out.

“Are you KIDDING me? That dress is CLEARLY made for earth ponies! Where am I going to put my wings?” the pegasus yelled.

“I’m sure we have a pegasus version in the back. Give me one moment.” Sapphire went into the back room and found the same dress only with holes for a pegasus’s wings. While leaving, he tripped on a longer dress and brought down several dresses on top of him as he fell to his face. When he returned, with one dress over his head and another on his body, she snatched the desired dress from him and marched into the dressing room. He rolled his eyes and hung up the dresses. She returned from the room with an aloof look on her face.

“I SUPPOSE this is ACCEPTABLE,” she said, never losing her condescending tone. Sapphire walked behind the counter and rung the dress up.

“75 bits,” he said.

“Here’s 53,” she said and dropped them on the counter with no concern.

“Okay. Now where are the other 22?”

“After the service I just had? You’re lucky I’m paying anything at all!” she said and began to reach for the dress. Sapphire stuck his hoof between her and the dress.

“No bits, no dress,” Sapphire said and picked up the dress and hung it behind the counter.

“Hey! I DID pay!” she yelled.

“No. You partially paid. You’re going to have to pay the full price. No discount,” Sapphire said not losing his cool.

“Give me. The dress.” A glare formed on her face.

“No.”

“I. Said. GIVE IT TO ME!” she screamed and smacked Sapphire. She reached and grabbed the dress from behind the counter. Sapphire recovered enough to make a grab for her. He missed her, but managed to rip open her bit bag. As she flew from the store, 30 bits fell from it. He sighed and placed all 83 bits into the register. He returned to the back room to fix the mess he had made.

Nothing else happened for the rest of the day until an earth pony mare entered.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique! How may I help you?”

“Heee---eello there, good sir! I was wondering if I could speak with Rarity? I’m an old customer of hers and her dresses were so sensational, I just have to get my hands on another!” she said.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Rarity is busy working on a new design,” Sapphire said.

“Ooh! Exciting! I hope she shows it to me! I simply looo-oove the work she does. In my line of work, it’s important to look my best.”

“What do you do for a living?” Sapphire asked. The mare stared at him intently. He began to feel uncomfortable. She leaned in closer and squinted her eyes a little. He began to fidget a little.

“You... don’t know who I am, do you?” she asked. Sapphire shook his head. She smiled.

“Well, I’m an artist of sorts like Rarity. How’d you meet Rarity?”

“Well, when I had nowhere to go, she and her friends took me in, so I’m trying to repay the favor,” Sapphire explained. The mare smiled. Rarity called from upstairs.

“Sapphire! I’ve done it! It took longer than I had originally planned, but it turned out so much better!” Rarity’s hoofsteps could be heard descending the stairs.

“I wonder how she knew I was here,” the mare said. Sapphire gave her a weird look. When she reached the bottom, Rarity gave a shocked gasp.

“Sapphire Shores! I didn’t know you were here! I’m so terribly sorry for making you wait,” Rarity said.

“That’s alright. Your lovely new alicorn employee has been keeping me company,” Sapphire Shores said.

“Oh! Speaking of. Sapphire Shores, meet Sapphire Spell. Sapphire Spell, this is Sapphire Shores, the Pony of Pop.”

“Oh, so that’s why you called out Sapphire before. You were referring to him, not me,” Sapphire Shores said.

“Anyway, what do you need?” Rarity asked.

“Well, I have a concert coming up and I need some outfits. Yours were so popular before, I figured I’d use you again. Now, I’d only need one outfit, so you’re not overwhelmed this time.”

“I have the perfect dress! I just finished it!” Rarity excitedly said. She revealed a dark purple dress. It was long, long enough to cover all of Sapphire Shore’s legs and then some. The bottom was adorned with a lighter purple fluff glittering with what appeared to be a shattered ruby. The rest of the shimmered in the light from crushed sapphires and amethysts. There was a wing design on that was incredible. Both of the Sapphires’ eyes widened at the sight.

“It’s... beautiful...” Sapphire Spell said.

“It. is. PERFECT!” Sapphire Shores exclaimed. “This dress is perfect for the worldwide debut of the song I’ll be performing at the concert. I’ll take it! How much?”

“200 bits,” Rarity replied. Sapphire Spell almost choked .

“I’ll take it!” Sapphire Shores said. She opened her bit bag and laid out 250 bits. “Keep the extra as a tip for your hard work and as a thank you to your new employee.”

Sapphire Shores turned to leave but stopped and turned back. She dug around into her pockets until she pulled out three envelopes.

“I’ve been thinking about who to give these to. I think maybe you two will have better luck.” She gave the three envelopes to Rarity.

Sapphire Shores left the store carrying the newly made dress with her.

Rarity opened one of the envelopes and gasped.

“What? What is it?” Sapphire asked.

“It’s a front row ticket and a backstage pass to Sapphire Shores’s Nightmare Night Concert later this month!” she cried. She opened the other two. “They’re ALL front row tickets and backstage passes to Sapphire Shores’s Nightmare Night Concert later this month!”

“What did you do?” Rarity asked.

”I don’t know! I mean, we talked for a little while, but not much else,” Sapphire said, legitimately confused by the events. Rarity split the bits 25/25 and gave Sapphire two of the envelopes.

“Give one of those envelopes to Spike. Oh! I’m so excited! The three of us are going to be spending Nightmare Night as VIPs at a Sapphire Shores concert!” Rarity said jumping up and down.

“Did anyone else stop by?” Rarity asked.

“Only one. A pink pegasus,” Sapphire replied.

“Understandable, Wednesdays are the slowest. Wait, did you say pink pegasus? Did she have an attitude?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, why?” Sapphire asked.

“I am so sorry you had to put up with her! She is the most difficult of all my customers! Did she pay?”

“After much difficulty. I got 83 bits for a dress that was 75.”

“She OVERpaid?!”

“Well... I ripped her bag trying to stop her from stealing the dress and that came out.”

“Wow. I have to say. You are great.” Rarity dug in the cash register. “Here, this your pay.”

Sapphire received 40 bits from Rarity.

“Thank you Rarity! Should I come back tomorrow?”

“Well you are my employee now. So yes.”

“Bye, Rarity!” With that, Sapphire left Carousel Boutique and started walking away.

Now, where’s that pharmacist Fluttershy owes money to?

Author's Note:

A short chapter as not much happened. But it does set up for a future chapter.

And with this, the first week is done. Now that Sapphire has met the Mane 6, I can stop going one day at a time. The next will be Day 10. This also ends the first of the "story arcs". You may have noticed that Sapphire has fallen on his face in every single chapter so far. Hence, the first story arc encompassing the first week shall be known as the...

Face Plant Story Arc.

Sapphire will no longer fall on his face (well, maybe a few reprisals) and Day 10 marks the beginning of the next story arc, Lesson Learned.