• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 953 Views, 21 Comments

Otherworldly - twisparkle95



It was an ordinary day for Twilight Sparkle. She had just gotten a letter from Shining Armor on his honeymoon, Celestia had given her the day off, but a third letter was going to change that.

  • ...
9
 21
 953

Day 22: Nightmare Night

Sapphire and Spike were running the main library room in a great excitement.

“I can’t believe the day’s finally here!” Sapphire said.

“I know! Tonight is going to be the most amazing Nightmare Night ever!” Spike said.

“Would you two keep it down down there?” Twilight called from upstairs.

“She’s just jealous that we’re going to a Sapphire Shores concert and she isn’t!” Spike said. Sapphire and Spike laughed at that. At that point there was a knock on the door. Spike pushed Sapphire onto the ground in a hurry.

“I’ll get it,” he said. When he opened the door, Rarity stood on the other side with a newly styled mane, makeup, and a dress of her own creation. “Come in… Rarity,” Spike said.

Rarity walked into the library and saw Sapphire on the ground with his eyes spinning. “Come now, Sapphire, I know I look good, but there’s no reason to overreact.” Rarity giggled.

Sapphire got a hold of himself and stood up. “What? No! I was just…” is all he could get out before Rarity burst out in laughter.

“Come on! Let’s go or we’ll miss the train to Canterlot!” Spike said. Spike hopped onto Sapphire, and the three of them made their way to the train station.

“Oh! I can barely believe it!” Rarity said. “Sapphire Shores’s NIghtmare Night Concert is one of the most publicized events! And we have VIP passes!” she continued.

“I’ve never been to a concert before,” Sapphire said.

“Really?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah. Back home, me and my friends were too busy fighting evil mages and the monsters they created to have much free time. But at the same time, we were famous so people always wanted us to show them some magic,” Sapphire said.

“Wow, I didn’t know that about you,” Spike said.

“It must have been a hard job,” Rarity said.

“Yeah, but it was fun and rewarding,” Sapphire said. “That is, until it showed up,” he whispered.

“What was that?” Rarity asked.

“Nothing! Look our train’s here. We should get on,” Sapphire said. Spike and Rarity gave each other a look, but all three boarded the train.

The train ride was filled with other ponies in their Nightmare Night costumes. Sapphire, Spike, and Rarity talked amongst themselves until the train pulled into the Canterlot station. Canterlot’s own Nightmare Night celebration was in full swing. Skeletons hung from windows and jack-o-lanterns lined the streets. The three of the made their way to the concert arena and then around to the VIP entrance. After showing their passes, they were ushered in.

It didn’t take long for Sapphire Shores to spot them. “Rarity! There you are! And you brought your assistant and a cute little friend,” she said.

“Of course! We wouldn’t miss this concert for the world! We’re so excited to be here,” Rarity said.

“Well, help yourselves to the refreshments and introduce yourselves to anyone you like. There are quite a few celebrities here tonight. I have to get ready for the show,” Sapphire Shores said. She then entered her dressing room. With that, the three began scanning the area. Every so often Rarity would gasp and point out some celebrity. Spike and Sapphire would just look at each other and shrug.

Eventually, instead of gasping and tugging at them, Rarity would just go off and introduce herself to the celebrity. “Want to check out the refreshments?” Spike asked.

“Sure,” Sapphire said. The two walked over to the refreshments. They watched as all the tech ponies rushed around making everything was set up for the concert. As Sapphire was looking around, he felt a cold breeze. He looked around. It seemed that no one else felt it. He looked up at the ceiling.

Something feels… off. I don’t know what though.

“Sapphire!” Rarity’s voice snapped him out of it.

“Gah! Rarity! Sorry, what did you say?” Sapphire asked.

“I said it’s time to go take our seats. The show’s starting soon,” she replied.

“Oh. Okay,” Sapphire said. With one last glance at the ceiling, he followed Spike and Rarity to their seats.

The concert started and the concert hall erupted in sound and cheering. Sapphire Shores took the stage in a Nightmare Night costume and sang some of her more holiday themed songs. She then moved on to her more popular songs. After about 45 minutes, the concert took intermission and the three of them went backstage.

It was noticeably colder than it was before. “Brr. Why is it so cold?” Rarity asked. One of the technicians was fiddling with the thermostat, trying to warm up the area. The celebrities were standing closer to each other than they were last time. They were trying to maintain their dignified stance without giving away how cold they were.

After about 20 minutes, intermission ended. The three went back to the seats concerned about was happening, but unsure of what to do. Sapphire Shores took the stage again, this time in the dress Rarity had made. Rarity immediately began jumping up and down in excitement. “This dress was made a very talented friend of mine. She’s an up and coming designer from Ponyville,” Sapphire Shores said. Rarity fainted after that.

The first song began, but at about two minutes in, all the power in arena went out except for one spotlight on Sapphire Shores. Sapphire could feel the pit in his stomach. All of the spectators were chatting amongst themselves, wondering what had happened. Even Rarity recovered from her faint to join in the worried expressions.

“What do you suppose could be wrong?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Sapphire said. Then, a loud cackle spread throughout the arena, quieting everyone. Then, out from the floor in front of Sapphire Shores, a transparent shape grew. Revealed to be the source of the cackling, it charged at Sapphire Shores, entering her body. She was struck cold and stopped moving.Then she fell over. Two ghosts came from her body.

The arena erupted into panic as the ghosts shut the last light and locked the doors. Sapphire ushered Rarity and Spike to a hiding. All that could be heard was screaming ponies and the cackling of the ghosts as they multiplied. One would enter a body and two would leave leaving the pony motionless and seemingly dead.

Before long , there were over 100 ghosts and still multiplying. This went on until Rarity, Sapphire, and Spike were the only three remaining. As the ghosts closed in on them in the pitch black concert hall, Rarity and Spike couldn’t even look and Sapphire futilely stood his ground. As a ghost charged at him, he felt something.

It was the same thing that had happened back when he and Applejack were cornered by the Timberwolves! He turned to see Rarity glowing blue and his own body as well. With a grin, he turned to see that the ghosts couldn’t approach them.

“Light!” he cried, and using his horn, bolstered by power from his ring, he cast a light into the darkness. All of the ghosts were sent flying and some even returned to their bodies.

“Light!” Sapphire called again as he used the spell over and over again. Spike and Rarity had recovered and were cheering him on.

“Alright! Go, Sapphire! Show those ghosts who’s boss!” Spike called out. Eventually, Sapphire lit up the whole arena with the floating orbs of pure light. Some of the ponies had recovered, but were still too terrified to move.

“You can do it, Sapphire!” Rarity called out. Charging up another Light spell, Sapphire sent the remaining ghosts into their bodies. The only ghost to remain was the original one. WIth one swipe of his hoof, it faded away. Sapphire could feel the power he had gained from Rarity fading away. With the disappearance of the last ghost, the power returned to the arena and it warmed up. Rarity and Spike came running over.

“Oh, thank goodness you were here!” Rarity said. “Do you think your powers will stick around this time?” she asked.

He shook his head. “No. I can already feel them fading. But how do I look? My gem and eyes have probably changed color again,” Sapphire said.

Spike examined him. “They have! They’re blue again! Well, not the same blue. They’re a bit lighter now,” he said. Sapphire Shores picked herself up off the floor.

“Ugh. What happened?” she asked. Sapphire went on stage and took the mic.

“There was a ghost attack. They used your bodies to multiply, but Light magic scared them off and returned your life forces,” he explained and gestured to the floating orbs of light. One curious pony tapped one and it burst sending off light like a camera flash.

“Thank you so much,” Sapphire Shores said. “You saved my, and my fans’, lives tonight,” she said. With that, Sapphire Spell got off the stage and Sapphire Shores insisted on finishing the concert. Many ponies left though, still shaken up about what happened. After the concert, Rarity, Spike, and Sapphire caught a train back to Ponyville before they could be mobbed by ponies trying to learn about their hero and his two companions. It wasn’t long before they arrived back in Ponyville.

“I’m exhausted. Almost dying really takes the energy out of you,” Rarity said.

“No kidding,” Spike said from atop Sapphire’s back. Sapphire gave him a look. “What?” Spike asked.

“Now, I expect to see you at work tomorrow,” Rarity said.

“Really? We almost died tonight. Can’t we take one day off?” Sapphire asked.

Rarity considered it for a moment. “Good point. We’ll take the day off and go to the spa. Oh! It’ll be so much fun! And we can get Fluttershy to join! Maybe even Pinkie Pie!” Rarity said to herself as she had walked off before Sapphire could respond. Sapphire and Spike went home, but before going to bed, Sapphire looked in the bathroom mirror to see his new gem.

Spike’s right. It’s not quite a Sapphire. Maybe an Aquamarine? Yeah. So, first Topaz and now Aquamarine.

It didn’t take long for Sapphire to fall asleep.

Author's Note:

Another ring! *le gasp* This marks the end of the Topaz Ring story arc and the start of the Aquamarine Ring story arc. Also, the Pre-Season story arc is over. This means that the next chapter will happen with the events of the first episode of season three. Now, Sapphire may or may not interact with the plot of each episode directly so either way, it won't just be a repeat of each episode's events, but they will all be referenced in some form in the chapter.

Also, a new update for Elements of Chaos as well. Yes, I am going to continue advertising this story as long as they keep updating at the same time. Seriously, I just write each chapter as I feel like in pieces and I just happen to reach the end of one when I'm almost done with the other. In this case, this chapter was finished first.

Comments ( 1 )

Wonder when Turquoise'll show up:rainbowkiss::rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment