• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 8,804 Views, 218 Comments

Dawning Reality - WordSPark37



A simple Spark can ignite raging fires that might not even have appeared possible before. When this occurs one summer evening in Ponyville, several ponies will suddenly discover passions they didn't know they had. Of course, passion, like fire,

  • ...
10
 218
 8,804

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The random chatter of ponies around them going about their daily lives made Spike feel a thousand times more comfortable as he paced through the streets of Ponyville with Twilight at his side. It wasn’t as though he was uncomfortable walking with Twilight, but the silence would have been truly sickening, especially with what he wanted to get off his mind. He’d thought about it a hundred different ways, looked at it from every angle, but in the end, he kept coming to the same conclusion. The same, inevitable, disheartening conclusion.

Twilight was kind enough to deviate the topic of the talk away from what had happened earlier, but he knew he’d have to tell her. He had to tell someone soon. He didn’t really care for anypony else’s opinion, but he wanted to measure the reaction before he went ahead and told Rarity.

Still, simply chatting about the latest book shipment that had arrived the previous Monday, or laughing at memories brought forth by the sight of Ponyville’s various landmarks was pleasant enough. It allowed for him to actually enjoy himself for the first time in quite a while. Lately all that had plagued his mind was how to present his gift to Rarity for her upcoming birthday.

“Spike?” Twilight called out, bringing him back to reality. Spike looked towards her and found that she had stopped a few yards back, and his thoughts had distracted him from their walk. He should have realized, he could easily outlast anypony in Ponyville now, probably even the great AJ, and Twilight was bound to get tired sooner or later. She’d had to practically trot beside him the entire way, and they had made their way across the entire town. A quick glance around confirmed that they had arrived in the park already, towering trees casting a speckled shade across the earth.

“Sorry, didn’t realize…”

“That’s okay… How about we… take a little… break?” Twilight said, practically hyperventilating, her tongue hanging out of her mouth. Spike smiled, remembering days when all her own running and adventures would quickly put him to sleep, and joined her on the park bench.

Twilight sat on the far end, leaving him enough room to get on top of the bench, which creaked and groaned under his weight, and he tucked himself into a tight ball, trying to take up as little space as possible. He thought he probably looked like Winona when she took a nap, but he paid it no mind. His eyelids began to flicker as the sun’s warmth left and his blood returned to its cool state. The rustling leaves above him and Twilight’s steady breathing practically hypnotized him, soothingly lulling him to sleep. A gentle voice soon brought him out of his stupor as Twilight spoke up once again after having caught her breath.

“Spike? Was there something you specifically wanted to talk about?” She asked.

He let out a long sigh, using his claws to scratch at the bench’s wooden planks. He knew that Twilight would’ve probably guessed it by now. She knew him better than anypony. She was smart, kind, considerate, and also the most important pony in his life. They shared everything, and he valued her opinion more than any other pony’s, except when it came to fashion. There was only one pony he could ask about fashion. And that was the pony that had caused this conversation to even come into existence.

“I… I’ve been thinking…” Spike said, not looking up at Twilight. He couldn’t look her in the eyes for some reason, but he could feel their warm gaze staring compassionately towards him.

“About Rarity…”

“Oh Spike…”

Twilight set a hoof upon his shoulder, clearly trying to comfort him, but frankly, it didn’t help at all. Spike felt a bubbling anger in the pits of his stomach. He should have guessed that she’d think it was something like that. That he was moping and drowning in self-pity. She couldn’t be more wrong. Well, she could, but she was plenty wrong as it was.

“No Twi, not like that. I’ve been thinking, and I finally understood.” He lifted his head to look at Twi, and for some reason she looked doubtful, something in her eyes, aside from the fact that they were a bit teary, made him shudder. He couldn’t help but feel that he was responsible for making her feel like that, but he had to get it out. His scales lost their usual glimmer and every part of him simply deflated as he finally confessed.

“I realized I can’t keep living in a fantasy world, hoping that Rarity will ever return my feelings. I’ve… I’ve been really stupid these past few years…”

“No, don’t say that! I think it’s sweet! Why would Rarity…?”

“Why would she ever be with me?” Spike asked sincerely, suddenly feeling misty-eyed himself. Twilight seemed to be at a loss for words, and he honestly couldn’t blame her. There was no reasonable explanation, no solution, nothing.

“I love her Twi, but she can never feel the same way for me…”

“But why not?” Twilight asked, tears beginning to form, her lower lip quivering. He was reminded of the many times they’d read some of the more emotional books in the library. Usually the hero had to make some form of sacrifice to save the world or the ones he loved, or make an impossible choice, and as they read, he could always sense when she began to tear up. He still remembered the time they finished reading The Filly in the Striped Pajamas. Twilight had locked herself up in her room for hours, until he’d finally been able to console her. The fact that it was based on a true story hadn’t helped. Now she had that same expression, as if she was caught in the book, an innocent bystander watching all the drama unfold. Spike had to chuckle at this, and with the same half-hearted smile, answered Twilight’s inevitable question.

“Because she’s looking for her dream stallion, somepony I could never be. Because she deserves a thousand times more than anything I could ever offer her. Because she’s a pony, and I’m a…” He choked up, not able to utter out the last words. Twilight sniffed and filled in the blank.

“Dragon?”

“Well, I was going to say monster, but…”

Twilight lightly punched him on the shoulder with her hoof, perhaps applying a bit more force than necessary. It was more like a flick, his thick scales absorbing the shock, but despite his sarcastic attitude and attempts at lightening the mood, Twilight’s expression was just as solemn as ever, if not more.

“Don’t you ever say that! Don’t even think that!”

Spike just chuckled, lifting his claws in the air submissively.

“Alright, alright, you win!”

A great weight had been lifted off his shoulders, and he finally felt free to simply admire the world for what it was. The setting sun cast an amazing aura upon the tall elms surrounding the park’s winding paths. The clopping noises of young fillies running back home to their parents as the ensuing darkness took away their precious time. Spike closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. Everything seemed to click, the universe suddenly made sense, and nothing had a reason anymore. Everything simply was what it was. But something was still troubling him. He could sense something was off, and looking at Twilight, he quickly made sense of what it was.

She too, was looking away into the distance, lost in thought as she usually got while thinking of some random theory or what she wanted for lunch. Her eyes glazed over as she stared dreamily into space, in such a way that not even a sonic rainboom could snap her out of it. He smiled, admiring her. Rarity was unreachable, but Twilight had always been there for him, when he’d risen higher than ever before, and when he’d fallen in his darkest hour. She truly was a pony like no other, and the mere thought that she’d been eclipsed by Rarity struck a sour note in his mind. How could he have ignored her, all this time, lusting after someone who’d never love him back?

“Twilight?”

She trembled, almost as if surprised by his words.

“What is it, Spike?”

“I’m… I’m sorry for troubling you with this. I mean, I know you had other things to do and all, and I hate getting all sappy…”

“Oh, shut up,” Twilight responded, quickly reaching over and nuzzling the top of his head with her muzzle. Spike accepted the sign of affection, and allowed her warmth to comfort him. The breeze had started picking up, and the temperature had dropped considerably. Spike tried to focus his eyes before he realized the cause of everything.

“Um, Twi?”

“What? Embarrassed by public displays of affection all of a sudden?” She said jokingly.

“No, not that…”

“What is it then?”

“I just… Thanks for listening and all, but…”

“But what?” Twilight fell back to look him in the eye, concern clearly shown on her face. Spike just motioned towards the quickly-growing crowd of ponies that were making their way through the park.

“Park? Picnic? Theater?” He said, only to place his face in his hands as Twilight simply sat there in front of him in confusion, clearly not understanding what he was saying. He might as well have been talking to Derpy. Although that would probably be easier even. One of the few misunderstood residents of Ponyville, Derpy was one of his best friends, and the only other pony he could talk to aside from Twilight and the others. Still, Twilight’s perplexed expression would have made even Derpy laugh, and when realization finally sunk in, all Spike could do not to laugh was hold his breath.

“Oh!”

“There it is!” Spike said, nudging her off the bench with his tail. She propped herself up on all four hooves, looking frantically back and forth between him and the arriving guests. He figured it wouldn’t take long for Rarity and Pinkie to arrive, living closer to the park than the rest.

“Oh no, I forgot! We didn’t bring the basket or a blanket or…”

“Twilight! Calm down.”

“How can I calm down Spike? I can’t run all the way home and back in time! The show’ll be over by then, and…”

“Twilight!”

“What?”

“Teleport?”

“…”

With one last sheepish blush, she disappeared in a flash of blinding white light, stunning him briefly before he could see again. She always seemed to forget to take any precautions before teleporting. The sudden displacement of mass always made the approximate environment iffy, including all bystanders. Despite all the complaints from him, she kept teleporting at less than five meters away from any sentient being. He just knew there would be long-term effects if she kept it up.

Setting those troubled thoughts aside, he relaxed, enjoying the benefit of having the bench all to himself. With a quick twist, he was on his back, his tail hanging from one end of the bench as he placed his hands behind his head and rested on the armrest. Clouds floated lazily by, but none were willing to take his mind off what was coming. He knew the right thing to do now, Twilight’s silent confirmation had been more than enough. That night, when he saw Rarity, he was going to confess.

And then, he was going to say his final goodbyes.

******************T******************

Another crackling snap in the rift of reality, and she stood, a bit shaky, but standing nonetheless, outside the library. It was much safer, as she’d learned rather abruptly, to teleport outdoors instead of indoors. She could still remember all the attention she’d gotten when the fireponies had to cut her out of her front door, and all the explanations about the circle of wood that had appeared where she’d been standing seconds before. All in all, a very embarrassing ordeal.

However, past mistakes were not bothering her as much as something else was, something she still could not make heads nor tails of. Spike had always had a crush on Rarity, she’d always known that, but she never suspected that it could go as far as actual love.

Twilight paced towards the kitchen were Spike had left everything prepared, fighting the blood that was rushing to her cheeks for unknown reasons. She felt flustered, emotional, and if she focused, she thought she could even feel jealousy hidden somewhere deep between her other sentiments. With a shake of her head, she fought back the feelings, trotting into the kitchen.

There, in the middle of the floor, lay a dark twine picnic basket, seemingly full to the brim. Something Twilight knew was impossible thanks to the space amplifying spell she’d cast on it years ago. One of her first successful spells, she remembered Spike constantly playing with it, hiding in the basket back when he could get through the opening. The memories brought a tear to her eye, and she brought up a hoof to wipe it away.

As she lifted the basket, she noticed a small leaflet, a tiny square of parchment, fall from the top of the lid and gently collapse upon the tile. Squinting her eyes, she could barely make out an unintelligible marking on one side. With much haste, she lifted the piece of parchment up to her snout, and tried to make out the writing, clearly Spike’s.


See? Told you I didn’t cut corners!

-Love, Spike


For some reason unbeknownst to her, the note sent a warm feeling into her, spreading across her chest as her heart fluttered. She massaged her temple with a hoof, trying to make sense of what was happening.

“Why? Why do I feel this way?”

Her eyes scanned the note time and time again, rereading the words written by her best friend, her closest friend, her oldest friend, who she’d grown up with. Turning it around, she found more ink etched into the back of the note.


P.S. – Hurry up! You’re going to be late!


Her eyes widened in surprise, and carrying the basket with a magical aura, she ran out the door at all speed, stopping only to cast a quick locking spell on the door and flip the sign on the door from open to closed. Nobody would really care though, they’d all be at the park. Grabbing onto the basket, reminding herself that teleported objects had to be physically attached, she focused on the park, and vanished in a flash of blinding white light.