• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 8,807 Views, 125 Comments

Fight for Flight - Soniclink137



Rainbow Dash learns Scootaloo's family has been neglecting her. Can Rainbow Dash get her out and win a battle of custody for her? Now without a certain Wonderbolt's help.

  • ...
10
 125
 8,807

Epilogue

Transitioning Scootaloo into her new life was a little hard for the first week, especially for Rainbow Dash who was in charge of getting her to school in Ponyville from the Wonderbolt H.Q each day along with her daily practice. It forced Rainbow Dash to get up earlier and practices were a bit more straining on her as a result, but she got used to it after a while. Of course, that just meant Rainbow Dash had to take a few more afternoon naps in order to catch up on her sleep.

Scootaloo got to sleep in Rainbow Dash’s cloud manner for one night before she had to follow Rainbow Dash to the Wonderbolt H.Q. While it wasn’t exactly what Scootaloo was used to, she was fine with it. In fact the first thing she did when she got there was fangasim over every single Wonderbolt she met, which Rainbow Dash found quite reminiscent of when she first joined the Wonderbolts.

Or course after all this was over there was full planning for Rainbow Dash and Soain’s wedding. When Rainbow Dash told Scootaloo she was fine with it…so long as they didn’t do too much lovey duby stuff in front of her. She was the flower girl for Shining Armor’s wedding and she got to have that privilege here. Spitfire also got the privilege as being the best mare.

The wedding planning went really smoothly because it was already started before Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ got into it. So as soon as Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo got into the swing of things the planning went at Rainbow Dash speeds. Which is exactly how Rainbow Dash liked it going.

A week before the planned date for the wedding Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ were both let off practice for the week. It’s not specifically because of the wedding, but because the Wonderbolts were preforming at the wedding and Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash were not, the team needed to practice without them. So Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were working on wedding preparations in Ponyville, while Soarin’ was working on wedding preparations with the Wonderbolts.

A few days before the wedding the Wonderbolts that were preforming all came to Ponyville for the wedding. There was a quick practice which Scootaloo was unable to attend because it went on while she was in school. Because of that Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ made sure to give her a run down on her part after school.

The next day the wedding began. It took place just outside of town hall in Ponyville town square. A good number of ponies came to the wedding, most of them coming from Ponyville but a few from Cloudsdale and Canterlot as well including the bride and groom’s parents. Shining Armor and Princess Cadence also came, to which Rainbow Dash’s father immediately made a beeline for him to talk about the current state of the royal guard. Princess Luna and Princess Celestia even managed to attend, though they did so in secret Celestia pretending to be an ordinary Unicorn and Luna pretending to be an ordinary Pegasus.

Both Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash walked up to the front, Rainbow Dash in another white and rainbow colored dress that Rarity tailor made for her, and Soarin’ in his blue military suit, modified slightly by Rarity. The vows were exchanged between Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash and so were the rings. After the vows were said, they both closed in and gave each other a long kiss. The kiss—full of emotion—lasted for a few seconds before they backed up a bit. The two, Sorain’ and Rainbow Dash, now became Husband and Wife. And thus the party that Pinkie Pie planned began.

Rainbow Dash was pulled over by Applejack who after saying her congratulations said “Ah hafta admit, I wouldn’t have thunk you’d be the first of us to get hitched. Hay, it almost surprises me that ya all got hitched in the first place.”

“Yeah, it sort of surprises me as well,” Rainbow Dash said. “A long time ago I would have never thought I would get married. But here I am now I guess.” To make sure she’s not overheard Rainbow Dash whispered. “I bet you 20 bits though that Twilight is the last of us to get married.”

“Rainbow Dash, Ah don’t think we should be bettin on Twilight’s love life,” Applejack said. “It just isn’t right.”

“I’m joking,” Rainbow Dash said. “Besides, that’s obvious anyways. Especially since half of us are already almost there thanks to your family, and you’ve got yourself somepony to.”

“Rainbow Dash…that isn’t,” Applejack said while blushing.

“Hehe, I think I’ll go and see what everypony else is doing now,” Rainbow Dash said. “See ya around Applejack.”

Rainbow Dash walked over to where Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were both standing. Pinkie Pie was saying hi and conversing with everybody that passes within a large radius of her, and Fluttershy was trying to avoid being seen by anybody. Of course before Rainbow Dash got up to her, Pinkie Pie already ran right in front of Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Dash, did you like my party?” Pinkie Pie asked. She started bouncing with each of her phrases. “Huh did ya did ya did ya did ya?”

“Yeah Pinkie Pie,” Rainbow dash said, talking a step back. “You did good.”

“Thanks Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie Pie said. She stopped bouncing for a few seconds. “I wanted to make this party super super special for your wedding! This is your very very big day!”

“Of course,” Rarity joined in. “The day you and the one you love finally make your vows to each other and then you’re knight in shining armor…”

“Yeah?!” Shining Armor asked from afar after hearing his name.

“Sorry, I wasn’t talking about you,” Rarity called back. She then focused back at Rainbow Dash. “Anyways, then he takes you home and after all the hardships you faced including the jealous ex-girlfriend and then…”

“I hope you don’t mean me,” Spitfire interrupted. She was walking around the place conversing and happened to pass by when Rarity said that. “Because if you are, you’ve forgotten I’m sort of responsible for the two of them getting together in the first place.”

“No of course not,” Rarity retracted. “I didn’t necessarily mean you. I was just being hypothetical.”

Spitfire by here expression obviously took no offence from that statement. “I’ve got someplace I need to be quickly,” Spitfire said. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“What’s this about?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s…nothing that you should worry about,” Spitfire said. “Just something I personally need to check on.” Spitfire took off and started flying away before Rainbow Dash could ask anything else.

“Oh now where was I?” Rarity asked. Rarity started mumbling to herself trying to find her place, and Rainbow Dash took that as a time to get away from her and talk to Fluttershy.

“Oh…hi Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy said.

“Hey Fluttershy. What are you doing around here all alone?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Well I…umm…” Fluttershy said shyly.

“Heh, don’t worry,” Rainbow Dash said. “Nopony here is going to watch the two of you dance. I’m pretty sure, me, Soarin, and Scootaloo are the main focus of everypony right now. Hay, if it helps you then I’ll head over to them and help draw attention away from you and him.”

“Thanks Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy said.

As Fluttershy walked over in the direction of something red, Rainbow Dash walked over to her new husband and daughter. “Hey you guys,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Hey Dashie,” Soarin’ said.

Before they could really talk to each other, a magenta pegasus with a rainbow mane walked up to the three of them. He looked at Rainbow Dash directly and said, “Congratulations Rainbow Dash. You learned how to become a great parent, as I knew you would. After all, I had to learn fast myself when your mother was pregnant with you, and I knew you would do the same.”

“Thanks dad,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Spectral Flare sir,” Soarin’ said.

Spectral Flare turned his attention to Soarin’. “Soarin’ I’m going to tell you the same thing I told you when Rainbow Dash graduated into the Wonderbolts. Take good care of my daughter for me. And Scootaloo as well.”

“I will sir,” Soarin’ said. He gave Spectral Flare a salute with his right hoof.

“And finally Scootaloo.” Spectral Flare turned his attention to the orange pegasus filly. “I didn’t get the chance to say this earlier but I will now. Welcome to the family Scootaloo. I have heard what you have gone through in your old house and I’m glad Rainbow Dash got you out of there.”

“Thanks,” Scootaloo said.

“You have managed to do pretty well for yourself Rainbow Dash,” Spectral Flare said. “I’m proud of all you have managed to accomplish here. You have a new growing family right now, and I see you going far with it. Now just one last thing.” He pointed a hoof over at the rest of the parents who were coming closer and some press. “I’d be ready for a photo or two. Or several. You probably are going to be here for a while.”

“Oh great,” Scootaloo said sarcastically “This is going to be fun.”

“Hey, have you ever had a family photo before?” Soarin’ asked.

“No, and that’s one thing I didn’t mind not having,” Scootaloo said bluntly.

“Well it could be worse,” Rainbow Dash said. “At least because of the wedding you’re already dressed up for it so we don’t have to force you to dress up. I always hated having to get dressed up for all of five minutes just to take a picture.”

“Well I for one am glad I’m able to take part in Scootaloo’s first family photo,” Soarin’ said. “Now come here you two.”

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash both got in close and Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ wrapped both their wings around Scootaloo in a pegasus hug. Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ both were smiling, and while Scootaloo did look embarrassed, she was smiling as well. While she may not like being so close like that, Scootaloo did manage to finally get herself a loving family.

~

After seeing a familiar brown Pegasus watching the wedding from afar, Spitfire flew away the first chance she got to confront him. She wasn’t sure how long she would be gone, she only hoped that this confrontation would be short enough for her to get back before anypony notices she was gone. When she got closer she noticed he was sitting there alone and had his eyes trained on where Spitfire was flying in the sky.

She landed right next to where Dust Storm was standing. As soon as Spitfire landed, Dust Storm looked back over where the wedding party was happening. Spitfire was about to ask him what the heck he was doing there spying on everypony, but Dust Storm managed to speak first.

“So did you enjoy it?” Dust Storm asked. “Did you enjoy getting your revenge on me?”

“Yes, I enjoyed it,” Spitfire said. “You can’t blame me for it after I learned what you did. I would have never imagined it from you. This is not what I would have expected from somepony who used to be a close friend of mine. And I just want to know. Why?”

“Do you remember our foalhood in Manehatten?” Dust Storm asked. “What we both wanted. What we both trained so hard to do? And look at where we are now. You are now the captain of the Wonderbolts, the most prestigious flying team in all of Equestria, and I am just a cloud pusher for a desert city on the far reaches of Equestria.”

“You were well off at least,” Spitfire said. “You managed to contribute a nice amount to us. You live in a nice large house. You and your wife are making so much that it took two Wonderbolts to combat that. They pay well for the harder jobs and you do it well anyways.”

“It has nothing to do with that.” Dust Storm looked directly at Spitfire. “We were both supposed to get into the Wonderbolts. Together we would be part of the greatest flyers in all of Equestria. And yet only one of us was apparently able to get that dream. And that pony is you.”

“So you take it out on a defenseless filly?” Spitfire asked. “Are you really that cruel hearted? That isn’t the Dust Storm I knew.”

“The Dust Storm you knew blew into the wind as soon as you became captain and didn’t bring me in,” Dust Storm said. “You had the power to, yet you didn’t.”

“I told you, I would accept your invitation to try out and from there if you proved yourself to me you would be able to join,” Spitfire said. “If I want to keep my team as good as they are, then I can’t just let ponies I like join for no reason. And that still is no reason to take it out on Scootaloo.”

“Contrary to what you are thinking, I never did hurt her,” Dust Storm explained. “I did give her a home and I did give her a safe roof to live under. But…I could never look at her without thinking about what happened between us. She was that constant reminder under my roof that you were up there in the Wonderbolts and I was stuck here. There were days when I actually wanted to try bonding with her, as much as you would think otherwise. But then I was reminded of you, and I just couldn’t.”

“So that’s it?” Spitfire asked in a melancholy voice. She looked back over at the wedding and Dust Storm looked as well. “If you weren’t able to bring it to yourself to actually give her caring then why were you so keen on keeping her? Why did you pull out all of the stops to prevent Rainbow Dash from getting her?”

“For the same reason above,” Dust Storm said. “I couldn’t deal with that constant reminder of you…yet I couldn’t bring myself to let go of that. It took my wife telling me ‘just let her go’ before I was finally able to accept defeat. I didn’t want to lose those memories of an earlier time.”

“I don’t know whether I should be flattered or smack you,” Spitfire said.

“You know, I made sure to give her the scooter you wanted her to have,” Dust Storm said. “When I saw what she could do on that scooter, I knew exactly where she would go if she takes to the sky.” He sighed. ““It doesn’t matter now. You won and I lost. I just have one last thing to ask.” He pointed at the wedding where Rainbow Dash, Soarin’, and Scootaloo were talking with Rainbow Dash’s father. “Are you sure you’re ok with this?”

“Yes I am,” Spitfire said. “I trust Soarin’ like he is my brother. And while Rainbow Dash can be a bit much at times she has already proven herself. They both have.” Spitfire sighed. “Scootaloo now has a much better home then anything I could provide for her.”

“So you’re not going to tell her, are you?” Dust Storm asked.

“That I made a stupid mistake? That I panicked when I learned the consequences of making that mistake? That instead of taking her in I gave her away to somebody I thought I could trust to raise her but turned out he was harboring a secret grudge?” Spitfire asked. “No, I don’t think I’m going to tell her that. She doesn’t need to know that her actual parent failed her as well. Maybe someday I will when she’s older, but for now I’ll let her have her happiness.”

“Yes, you made a mistake,” Dust Storm said. “As much as I made the mistake of taking my anger of you out on her.” Dust Storm turned the opposite way from the wedding party and started walking. “I think until I get over my grudge, if I ever do, we should not meet again. It will most likely lead me to be how I was during the trial again. So this is farewell, my old friend.” Dust Storm took off and then flew into the horizon.

“Good bye, my old friend,” Spitfire said as she took off back to the wedding. While overhead she looked over at Rainbow Dash, Soarin’, and Scootaloo again. She said to herself when she saw them, “Well Spitfire, at least you did two things right. You brought Scootaloo into the world, and while it may have taken you a while, you managed to finally get Scootaloo a good family.”

Author's Note:

Yay, a wedding. Well sort of. In reality I've never personally liked writing for wedding so I made it short and went more on to the reception. With jokes, implied shipping, and Spectral Flare I.E my name for Rainbow Dad.

Oh and Pinkie Pie's original concept! Yeah that's right people. Spitfire is Scootaloo's biological mother. Bet you didn't see that coming did you? Well if you did that's probably because I did a pretty good job of hinting it without saying what it was. But yeah, expect twist endings every once in a while from me. I don't always make them, but when I do you better be prepared.

Comments ( 38 )

Sweet LUNA spitfire was scootaloos biological mom that is awesome

Sooo.....That's the personal reason.. And why the wife was never called mom and also very willing to let go of the filly

Damn. Didn't see that one coming. O.O

Love that implied shipping. A Spitfire was the mom!? Holy guacamole.

2255636 Yep fun all around
2256258 I tried hinting it, but of course I still wanted it to be a surprise
2256212>>2256457 Now just to clear something up since I don't think I was very good at explaining this in the fic, Dust Storm is not Scootaloo's biological father. He was an old friend of Spitfire's, however they had no romantic interactions. He was just given Scootaloo because Spitfire thought he would be able to raise Scootaloo better then Spitfire ever could, being that as will be explained in a later fic he was married at the time Spitfire had Scootaloo.

So then who is Scootaloo's biological father? Well that...will be explained later. I'll leave you in suspense when it comes to that for now.

Well then...I did not see that coming.
A good job sir, I'm usually the one to see endings coming, but this one sure caught me off guard!

2266701 Thanks. I like to do twist endings every one in a while and while I hint at them I still like to catch people off guard.

I saw that from from ch. 1. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

2276382 How did you see that in chapter 1? I didn't really start hinting at it until chapter 3.
Unless you're using a Hyperbole in which case this reply was redundant.

2276375
Well, maybe you should try working on your conjugation then. I know my Latin teacher, Magistra Golf, would :heart: it if I did.

2276417
Well, I thought of all the reasons why, eliminated the boring ones that no pony would like to read, added genetics and, voila, her mom is Spitfire!

From the way Spitfire reacted when she was told how Scootaloo was being treated I expected as much. And Fluttermac? That is my all time favorite shipping! Second favorite being Soarindash. :yay:

2242692 why does your picture look like a evli version of my OC? :rainbowderp:

You seem to have put a lot into this series. This is a read later for me! I love Soarin Dash and the idea here of them adopting Scootaloo as a foster family :scootangel:

I figured that Spitfire was going to be Scoot's mother. Great job with this story! You made this story the second that I have read where one friend gets into the Wonderbolts while the other does not and then ends up harboring a massive grudge. B-E-A-UTIFUL! I can't wait to read the next stories. (I really can't, I will be reading the rest today as well)

2287034 Well you're apparently in the minority.

2293771 Oh the minority is somehow becoming the majority. Guess you guys over at FiMFiction can see twist ending better then the people at dA. And yeah, Fluttermac. It's a little overrated, but since when did I care. I like plenty of underrated ships to balance it out.

2316436 :yay: Sound good

2320190 Well thanks! :scootangel:

knew it. Your hints were found

Oh, I had such high hopes for the premise of this story. I love Rainbow/Soarin' fics, especially where her relationship with Scootaloo is explored, too. However, I couldn't even get myself to finish the second chapter.

The problems started in the first chapter with a very large exposition dump. You don't need to give the entire backstory right at the beginning. I've found that only providing the necessary details as they become relevant provides a much easier experience for the reader to get through. And the framing device used for exposition is really important too. Teaching Scootaloo things about flying is a more action-oriented scene, and dumping large walls of text of exposition makes the action stutter, and is very jarring and unpleasant to read. This leads to the pacing problem.

Rainbow Dash is really jumping the gun here. Now, granted, it is entirely within her character to rush into things without thinking them through, but this is pretty extreme even for Rainbow. All she knows is that Scootaloo's parents haven't taught her how to fly, and that she doesn't like to talk about them. While her not liking to talk about them is cause for concern, it's no reason to jump straight to 'it must be abuse, I need to take her away from her parents.' I don't think even Rainbow is this rash. The problem ends up being that you didn't take the time to adequately build up and justify these concerns before jumping into Rainbow taking action.

Now while I said that Rainbow jumping into action prematurely makes sense, it doesn't make sense at all for Twilight to embrace it. The evidence that Scootaloo is in an unsuitable home is, at this point, circumstantial at best, and Twilight is far more responsible than this. The much more appropriate action would be to alert more proper authorities, such as Equestria's equivalent of the police or Child Protective Services, or hell, even the Princess. At the very minimum Twilight should realize that acting with absolutely no real evidence that anything is wrong is incredibly dangerous. If there is abuse, they have no way to prove it and aggravating Scootaloo's situation would only make things worse. If there isn't abuse, then they're potentially traumatizing an innocent family.

My biggest recommendation is to slow down. People, and by extension ponies, like to assume there isn't a problem until evidence proves otherwise, but this comes off as Rainbow Dash essentially looking for trouble. Take the time to prove that there is really something wrong here, and then have appropriate action taken. This story has a lot of potential, but really needs some tweaking to pull it off.

Shining Armor FOR THA WIN

Very interesting read. I liked it.

I think you should put the link to the next story either in the long story description, or in this chapters Author's Notes.

Other than that it was a good fic. I'm surprised to learn that Scoots was Spitfire's daughter in this fic. It was a decent ScootAdoption fic. I can't wait to read the next part of the story.

Awesome story, now for the sequel :rainbowdetermined2:

This story has made you one of my favorite writers. This story really made my day, so thank you.

Or course after all this was over there was full planning for Rainbow Dash and Soain’s wedding. When Rainbow Dash told Scootaloo she was fine with it…so long as they didn’t do too much lovey duby stuff in front of her.

Seems to me there needs to be an apostrophe between Scootaloo and she.:rainbowhuh:
Correct me if I'm wrong though, I don't have the best grammar.:twilightblush:

3475159 Welcome to my grammer from when I first wrote this. You are correct, however this was written almost a year ago (wow has the time gone by) and I have improved somewhat with apostrophe usege since then.

And what's that? I actually responded to comments on my older fics?

Most awesome story every!

Well planned story I must say, besides from the few grammar problems (of which happened near a year ago, I know), it turned out to be pretty good in my opinion. Glad I found and read it. :twilightsmile:

Damn you! JK but you made me stay up till 3AM to read!

Yes I knew it I knew it I knew that Spitfire was Scootalo's mom

5615969 I know that felling bro I know that that feeling.

But yeah, expect twist endings every once in a while from me. I don't always make them, but when I do you better be prepared.

Well I got horns to open bottles and i got horns to hold my keys, so yeah I think I'm ready.

Still love that ending though.

I really like this fic! :twilightsmile: The flow was pretty good, and the plot/plot idea is fantastic. I have to say there were a few things that felt... rushed. Rainbow jumped the gun on abuse a little more than I felt she normally would. And people just taking her word for it, especially Twilight, seemed a bit OOC in my opinion. That said, the legality of these situations in fanfics can be hard to write. I might be a bit critical due to being in the Child & Youth Care field, so I know more of the evidence needed. I really do love this fic though! I see there's a series of fics in this universe and I can't wait to read them!

:pinkiehappy:

You DEFINITELY get a like from me for that ending alone. It was PERFECT!

It's a good story, but the thing I am kinda iffy on is the whole trial. To me, it felt more like supervised arguing over individual responsibility rather than a legal battle on why her current parents are incompetent. And I get that most people (including myself) don't have a law degree, but still...

This really felt like it was written by someone who was young and lacked any world experience or understanding of how adults actually accomplish anything.

Login or register to comment