• Published 8th Mar 2013
  • 7,802 Views, 107 Comments

Roses and Rainbows - Brian Jacko



Rainbow Dash and her friends find a some pony special.

  • ...
15
 107
 7,802

Soarin's Big Decision

Spike gently shook Rainbow Dash. "Wake up Rainbow, wake up. We have a special surprise for you."

Rainbow turned to the other side of the bed and groaned. "This early?"

Spike grabbed the blankets and pulled them off of her. "Come on downstairs, there's some pony here to see you. I've got to go out and get some quills for Twilight and do some other errands so I'll be back later."

Rainbow Dash sat up and rubbed her eyes. She hopped out of bed and started to walk down the stairs. There stood all five of her friends and Soarin'. She stood there speechless.

Twilight Sparkle stepped forward and said, "What's the matter, Rainbow? We got Soarin' to come here just for you."

Rainbow stuttered a bit. "Thanks. I-I-I just didn't expect you girls to really do that." Rainbow walked slowly and looked at all of her friends with a worried look on her face. "Do you think maybe you can give me and Soarin' some privacy?"

All of her friends went outside without saying a word. Rainbow watched them all walk out the door and then looked back at Soarin'. "So what brings you here?" she asked in a nervous tone.

"Your friends sent me letters in the mail saying that you haven't been feeling well and that you wished for me to come visit you," he replied.

Rainbow Dash looked at the ground and sighed. "Hey, I'm really sorry I dragged you all the way out here. Yea, it's true. I did tell my friends that I wished to see you, but I was too afraid to contact you myself. I'm really sorry for bothering you."

"Nonsense Dash," the stallion said. "I'm more than happy to come visit a friend who is so important to me."

Rainbow nervously dragged her hoof across the floor and said, "I don't suppose you still happen to be single, right?"

Soarin' shook his head no and said, "Sorry, Dash. I'm already with another mare."

Rainbow squinted her eyes shut and muttered something under her breath. "Sorry I asked," she said. "I should have known better."

"It's ok," he said. "I tried to wait a while for you, hoping that you might write back to me, but I eventually got too discouraged and well, I'm not really a stallion of much patience. I'm sorry I didn't wait for you."

Rainbow perked back up with a confused look on her face and said, "Wait, you're sorry? I was the one who told you to leave me alone and find a new some pony special. You did what I asked you to do. How can you be sorry?"

Soarin' sighed and said, "I knew that deep down inside, I wouldn't want to spend my time with another mare other than you, but my friends and family pressured me to see some pony else and I lost faith in what I believed in. I believed that if I gave it enough time, you would perhaps try to talk to me again, but I got discouraged and I lost faith in that. I was depressed and totally lonely. I knew I should have waited a while longer for you."

Rainbow looked even more disappointed and said, "Oh, well I can't really fault you for that. I guess you must be happy with your new mare friend?"

"Well, we were discussing about getting engaged," he said.

Rainbow lowered her ears even more and replied with an unenthusiastic voice, "That's wonderful. I'm happy for the both of you, really. I guess I shouldn't be bothering you anymore. You should go now. I'm sure your special some pony wouldn't want you spending time with your ex."

There was a long awkward silence in the room as both ponies stared at the floor for a long time.

Finally Soarin' spoke up. "Hey Dash?"

Rainbow sniffled a bit and said, "Yea?"

Soarin' let out a deep sigh and said, "What if I told you that you could have me back?"

Rainbow looked up at him with a horrified look on her face and said, "What do you mean have you back!? You're talking about getting engaged to another mare?"

Soarin' looked into her eyes and asked, "But what if you could have me back, would you do it?"

Rainbow didn't have to think about that answer, she stared back into his eyes and said, "In a heartbeat Soarin, in a heartbeat, but I still don't understand what you're talking about."

"Let me explain," he said. "I'm not exactly thrilled in my relationship. It all really happened because of pressure from my friends and family. I felt forced into this whole thing, but I guess at the time, it was better than nothing.....until I got to hear from you again, and now that I know how you feel about me, I'm more than willing to take you back."

Rainbow was stunned at his confession. Her mind began racing with all kinds of questions. "But how will you know that I won't go crazy again and do something stupid?" she asked. "How can you be willing to risk such a thing?"

"I'm a stallion of many risks in life," he said. "And to me, you are worth more than any risk. Why would I settle for second best when the best is standing right in front of me now? Of course I'd be devastated if you left me again, but I understand, that at the time, you were going through so much pressure and your mind wasn't right. I understand what it's like being a Wonderbolt when you're new to it. It's very stressful and I have done and said some pretty stupid things myself."

Rainbow stood still in shock. Suddenly, her lower lip began to quiver and tears started to form in her eyes. "You'd risk everything for me just like that?" she asked.

The stallion nodded his head yes and said, "In a heartbeat, Dash, in a heartbeat." Soarin' got low and opened his front legs. "Come here Dash. Come here sweetie."

Rainbow ran over to him and threw her front legs around him almost knocking him over. They embraced each other tightly. Rainbow shut her eyes and began to sob.

Soarin' felt the tears run down his shoulder. "What's the matter Dash? Why are you crying?" he asked.

Rainbow had difficulty speaking. "I just don't understand," she said. "I don't understand how you can do this for me. I have so many issues in my life and yet you're still willing to take me back. It just doesn’t make sense to me."

Soarin' hushed her and said, "Don't worry about it, Dash. You don't have to understand it now. All that matters is that we are back together again. As for your issues you're struggling with, we’ll work through them together. I'm not going to give up on you. I’ve got you, Dash. I’ve got you, and I won't let you go." Soarin' rubbed her back slowly to help calm her down. When she was able to control her crying, he slowly let go of her, put his hooves to her face and said, "Everything's going to be fine Dash. Don't worry about anything. You are so precious and beautiful to me."

Rainbow Dash wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled. "Thank you, Soarin'. Thank you," she said.

Soarin' smiled at her. "Alright," he said. "I've got some things to take care of. Why don't you wait here for a few hours with your friends so I can tell my mare friend what's going on. I'll be back for you." Soarin' bent low and kissed the top of her colorful mane before he left.

Rainbow's friends were still waiting patiently outside. When they saw Soarin' leave, they instantly rushed into the library to see Rainbow. Rainbow was waiting patiently by the window waiting for Soarin' to return while she talked to her friends about what happened.



Hours went by and Soarin' did return. Rainbow rushed over to him. "How did it go?" she asked. "Did she take everything ok?"

Soarin' shook his head no and said, "It wasn't exactly easy for her, but she did understand and wished me all the best. The deed is now done though and it's time for both of us to move on."

Rainbow looked away and said, "I'm sorry it wasn't easy for her. I feel badly that this happened, all because of me."

"It's ok Dash," Soarin' said. "It's not your fault and the decision was mine to make. She said she'd rather see me happy than to be in a relationship that wouldn't have turned out to be so good. She understands and is ready to move on."

Rainbow Dash began to stutter, "S-s-so does this mean that's it? It's official now? We're back together again?"

Soarin' nodded his head yes and said, "I'm all yours, Dash. I'm all yours now."

Rainbow ran over to him and hugged him with a great big smile on her face. He was smiling as well. Her friends began stomping their hooves on the ground in celebration.

Suddenly, Applejack looked around and said, "Say, any of ya folks know where Pinkie Pie is?"

Rainbow Dash let go of Soarin' and said, "Uh oh, I hope she didn't leave to get the..."

Rainbow was cut off when suddenly Pinkie Pie burst through the door with her party cannon and fired it at Soarin' and Rainbow Dash. The blast of confetti nearly knocked them over. Pinkie Pie ran over to them and wrapped her front legs around them both and drew them near to her. She began talking as fast as she possibly could. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry I was late. I was hoping you two would be back together by the time I got back. Oh! I'm so excited and happy for you both and now it's the perfect time for a party!" Pinkie Pie took out a party horn and blew it loudly. She began giggling madly and bouncing all around the two ponies still dazed from the blast of the party cannon. Pinkie Pie suddenly stopped behind Rainbow and shoved her closer to Soarin'. "Come on Dashie! Don't just stand there you silly filly! Kiss your some pony special! Do it! Do it! Do it!"

Rainbow Dash's face turned bright red. She looked back up at Soarin' and said, "I'm really sorry about Pinkie Pie, she tends to be a little too much sometimes."

Soarin' just smiled.

Rainbow looked back over to her friends.

"Come on Rainbow, I know that sometimes Pinkie can be a few apples short of a bushel, but I'm with her on this one. Pucker up sugar cube!" Applejack said. The rest of Rainbow's friends started agreeing with Applejack.

Rainbow looked back over to Soarin' and then back to her friends. "Really girls? In front of you all?" Rainbow Dash nervously asked. All of her friends started stomping their hooves in approval. Rainbow looked back up at Soarin' for a moment and then lunged at him with a kiss. Everyone in the room started cheering for them.