• ...
6
 160
 2,970

Chapter 10

Chapter 10
Memories and Visions for the Future

Kal readied himself for bed in his quarters at the castle. His transfer of memories had brought back some unwanted thoughts. He did not feel entirely good about his chances of sleep, but he would need it for tomorrow. Tomorrow he was going out in search of a presence in the force he had felt. It was not the presence of a person, but it did feel like a presence he recognized. Kal climbed into bed and fell asleep.

***

It was dark, rain poured down from the sky. The sounds of the planet Dxun's animals all around him. The clone troopers following him were anxious, the battle that lay before them would be dangerous, far more than even Dxun's predators. Kal didn't like the idea of sending them in on a mission like this. The clones had referred to the upcoming battle as a "meat grinder", meaning that there was going to be a lot of bloodshed, and your chances of survival were going to be low. Kal and his troops were walking in a spread out pattern to minimize damage.

"Sergeant, move your snipers up to that ridge, they'll have a better chance of hitting something from that position than they will around here." Kal said.

"Yes, sir." the clone trooper Sergeant replied, gathering his snipers and moving to the ridge.

Kal continued on with his clone Commander in the sandy green armor livery of those under Kal's command, Commander Jackal, following him as they moved. They came upon the heavily guarded, and fortified, Separatist base. He pulled out his macrobinoculars, observing where the best locations to either destroy or infiltrate the base were.

"Your order's, sir?" Commander Jackal asked from behind Kal.

Kal pulled out his handheld holoprojector that showed the map of the area surrounding the Separatist base, "Move half of your men around behind those hills to the east and have them set up the mortars there, and wait for my signal to begin their bombardment. Then we'll take the other half through the ravine that leads to the main gate." Kal said, pointing to each place on the map as he explained the plan.

Commander Jackal nodded, "Yes, sir. I'll divide the troops right away." he said.

The troops were divided and the assault began. The mortars had done their job very well, and the eastern wall crumbled and Kal's troops stormed the fortress and overran the droid positions.

"Good work, Commander." Kal said walking up behind Jackal, who seemed to be listening to his helmet comm.

Kal sensed the danger, even before Jackal raised his DC-15 carbine level with Kal's head. He ignited his lightsaber, illuminating his face with a ghostly, green glow in the dark. He spun slicing through Jackal's weapon before the commander could fire, and then twisted around to stab the commander in his gut. Kal heard Jackal gasp in pain and surprise, and then removed the blade. The commander fell face down in the mud, dead. A group of six clone troopers bearing the standard sandy green livery of Kal's battalion came running blasters raised, and firing at him.

Kal deflected the blaster fire into two of the clones, and they fell dead. The four remaining clones stopped running, and held their position, continuing to fire at him. Kal realized that he couldn't keep deflecting the blaster fire forever so he ran at them. Kal threw his lightsaber into the line, which decapitated one of the troopers and removed the arm of the one next to him as it arched back to his hand. He reached the line and cut a gash diagonally across the torso of the trooper who lost his arm. Kal sliced another trooper in half at his waist, and performed the same maneuver he used on Commander Jackal again, with the same effect. Kal ran into the jungle to avoid any more run-ins with clones. As he was running, Kal spotted a door built into the side of a hill.

Finally, a place to take refuge. Kal thought to himself.

When he reached the door, he found there was no visible way of opening it. Kal prodded the door with the force and found the mechanism that would open the door. Kal stepped in and found that there was a large area filled with boxes. Kal's curiosity got the better of him and he opened one of the boxes. Kal's jaw dropped, the box was filled with weapons. Kal moved to another box and found more weapons. Kal assumed that he had stumbled upon a Separatist supply bunker. As he moved around to all of the boxes Kal found an assortment of weapons and armors. The final box that Kal opened held the most surprising item of all, it was a complete set of Mandalorian Neo-Crusader Armor. Kal realized that it wasn't a Separatist supply bunker, but a Mandalorian weapons cache forgotten during the Old Republic.

Kal knew that the Mandalorian armor would supply more protection than his Jedi tunic would. Kal removed his Jedi robes and tunic, then he put the suit and attached every plate of armor to the suit. Kal replaced his tunic and robes over the armor.

It's good that I found some weapons and armor, but I still need a ship. Kal thought to himself.

Kal couldn't risk going back to the Republic's base to retrieve his Jedi Starfighter, the clone's could have easily sabotaged it. Kal's only choice was to use his other ship. Nobody knew about Kal's personal ship, his new model YT-2400 Corellian freighter, piloted by his faithful astromech droid, R3-U5. Kal took out his comlink and switched it to his private frequency to his freighter and R3.

"R3, I need you now. My troops turned on me, and I have no way off the planet." Kal said

A series of beeps and whistles came back from the comlink.

"I know, but if you don't pick me up, my troops will." Kal replied.

Another assortment of beeps came from the comlink.

"Alright, I'll meet you there, don't get yourself caught." Kal said.

***

Kal's eyes shot open and he bolted up. He knew how the dream, no, the memory, would end. R3 was found and destroyed by the clones, Kal went back to the weapons cache and loaded the weapons and everything onto his ship. He got caught up in a battle, and made a hasty hyperspace jump that landed him where he was now. His ship was heavily damaged, so he scrapped it, using parts to build his home, and keeping other parts that could be useful later. That memory had become a nightmare, keeping him awake some nights, but this time it felt like he was back on the front lines of Dxun. Kal shook it off and went back to sleep. The dream started over, but he would bear through it this time.

***

Kal left the castle early in the morning and set off toward the area where he felt the presence in the force. When Kal reached his destination he found a cave. Kal entered the cave and found that it was covered in crystals, Force sensitive crystals in fact. Kal walked through the cave smiling.

No wonder I thought it felt familiar. I feel it every day when I attach my belt. Kal thought to himself.

Kal took several crystals from each of the formations, blue, green, purple, and yellow. Once Kal was done harvesting the crystals he went back to his house on the edge of Ponyville, and layed the collection down. When, if, Kal got off of this planet, he would be able to build lightsabers for a new generation of Jedi. Kal had promised himself, right then, that he would survive this battle.