• Published 1st Mar 2013
  • 4,773 Views, 110 Comments

Love Lost - Eeveexpert



Everypony knows that a Changeling Queen is fiercely protective of every member of her brood, but what happens when that brood refuses her their loyalty?

  • ...
1
 110
 4,773

10 - My Mother, The Queen

It doesn't matter if they are walking amongst other ponies or amongst the trees in the forest; if there is one thing that changelings are very good at, it is blending in with their environment and covering their tracks. A changeling queen is highly practiced in such skills, making it nigh impossible to follow her.

"Have you found any evidence of a trail yet?"

"Negative. But did you honestly expect to find anything? Miasma sent us out tracking Chrysalis. This is her territory. If she doesn't want to be followed, there won't be anything to follow. We're looking for a trail that doesn't exist. If Miasma wants revenge upon Chrysalis, then she can waste her time looking."

"No chance of that. She hasn't left the throne room in almost two days."

"Let's just return to the hive. I'm tired of walking around in damned circles." The changelings reached a silent consensus here, opening their wings and were off in a low flight through the trees.

While the two trackers had failed to find any sort of trail amidst the wood, two others of their own kind had found them. Rustling shook the branches above where the trackers had stood moments before as another pair of changelings dropped to the ground. "A changeling sneaking around in his queen's own territory. Never thought I would see the day." The sapphire-backed changeling's tone was as dry as the dead needles his hooves trod upon.

The second of the two soldiers shot a glare back over his shoulder, wishing that looks could kill. "Shut up. Your brethren haven't defected to follow another queen's wishes."

"You're right, they haven't. But then, my queen is still competent enough to hold my loyalty."

Kytin's wings twitched madly at the sight of the expressionless changeling before him. "Our travels have placed us within my territory now, Vesci. What is to stop me from sinking my horn into your throat here and now?"

"Nothing." Vesci retorted, with the typical Hagfish coolness. "But, before you decide to taste my blood, let me remind you that you know nothing of my queen's plans for dealing with Miasma. Slay me now and those plans die with me. That is the reason I agreed to Her Majesty's orders to act as your escort; I know that you will not touch me."

To argue with the logic of a Hagfish changeling is next to futile. Kytin hissed in frustration and shoved his way past Vesci. "This way, damn it..."

Behind the angry Chrysalis changeling, the slightest of smiles crossed Vesci's mouth. "You certainly do take after your mother."

"Keep up, maggot. While you're right that I won't kill you in cold blood, I have no problem with letting you wander in my territory until you're captured. I'm sure Miasma would love to hear of these plans to deal with her. I wonder how long your tiny little hive would last once she gets word of your schemes."

With that, Vesci's smirk fell away, replaced with his own hiss of anger. Thoroughly cowed, he trudged after the changeling already off through the trees.

Satisfied with their jabs at one another, the pair remained silent until Kytin's wings signaled for a halt. A group of five soldiers galloped past the pair's hiding spot, unaware of their observers. Pale blue eyes met dark blue as Kytin turned to his Hagfish accompaniment. "You. Make yourself scarce. There is a brief errand I must see to within my hive."

Vesci nodded reluctantly. "If you insist. Bear in mind that you will receive no aid from me should your hivemates detain you. My orders were to act as your escort, not your savior. If you are fortunate enough to freely step from your hive, seek me out. I shall shelter within the branches above this location and wait for your return."

"Just make sure you're well hidden. I'll have no problem lying to explain my presence but you'd have a much harder time of it. I'm not the trespasser here." the Chrysalis soldier retorted. He waited until he spotted another group, this one returning to the hive. Five seconds passed and he stepped casually from his concealment, trotting along after them. With his pheromones masked, Kytin went completely unnoticed until his hooves started falling within the hive proper.

"You there! Halt, traitor!"

Before the order had finished vibrating against his ears, Kytin found himself encircled by half a dozen changelings of color scheme identical to his own. "I see you wasted no time in rolling out a warm welcome for me, Coxa." he quipped.

"Spare me your sarcasm, Kytin! You chose to defy Miasma's arrival, yet you deign to show your face within the hive again? And with the reek of Hagfish brine upon you, no less! Explain yourself!"

The pale eyes of the returning soldier narrowed to pupilless slits. "Save the leadership act for those who don't know you, Coxa. I didn't see you stepping forward to act as centurion in Sylph's absence. I don't need to explain myself to you."

"Who better to fill the traitor's role than another traitor?"

Kytin knew well the game he had stepped into. His allegiances were being tested; one slip and he was as good as dead. He swallowed his angry words and forced a lie from his mouth in their place. "Yes, I left the hive. Do you know what I found in that decision to follow Chrysalis? Death. She sows nothing but ruin in her wake! I wouldn't be surprised if the deserter Sylph lies dead by the fangs of a timberwolf by now!"

"Such a development would be fitting. No, Sylph still foolishly chooses to follow his incompetent mother. But who is to say what has happened to him in the past two days?"

"Who is to care?" Kytin shot back.

"Well said." Coxa nodded to the six changelings, signaling them to step back. "What of the Hagfish stench upon you, then?"

"One mistakenly crossed my path. His end was swift. Have you any more questions for me? Or does his 'high and mighty' Coxa allow me permission to pose one?"

"One more drop of sarcasm from your mouth and you won't have a tongue to ask it with. Make it quick."

"I know Arnyx remained here in the hive with Miasma, yet I don't see him parading around lording himself over you. What of him?"

"He broke a stalemate between Chrysalis and Miasma. His role was...short-lived."

About damned time the ass got his own... Kytin snarled inwardly. "And Miasma?"

Coxa visibly hesitated in answering this question. "She is within the throne room. Chrysalis' taking of Arnyx from her has pushed her into a severe depression. Any who approach the throne room are turned away by the two guards posted outside."

"Interesting. How long has she dwelled within?"

"Two days. When Chrysalis fled with Sylph, Miasma did pursue them, only for the pair to elude her. Since Miasma returned that day, she has resigned herself to the royal chambers, her presence only making itself known with the orders barked from inside the royal chambers."

"I'll make sure to keep clear of her then. Aside from that, am I free to move about the hive?" Kytin could see the question rolling itself around behind the eyes of his hivemate.

"Proceed." The last obstacle standing between Kytin and the rest of his home stepped to the side, allowing him free passage. "If I were you, I would lay low. I've no doubt that Karrin would enjoy driving his fangs into your throat. I can hardly guess what Miasma would do with you." Coxa added, to which the other changeling experimentally flicked a tongue through the two gaps left by his lack of fangs.

The soldier nodded in silent thanks before continuing into the hive's main chamber. When he was finally out of earshot of his welcoming party, Kytin gagged, complete with a face of pure disgust. The lies he had forced from his mouth had left an unbelievably bitter taste behind them. Kytin knew exactly why his hivemates had defected, but was far from doing so himself. His respect for his queen and mother had not yet wavered. There was also no possible way that he could bow before the queen that had so joyfully slaughtered his hivemates before his eyes.

Six days of travel had passed and yet the atmosphere of the hive that Kytin now struggled to call his home remained as alien as when he had left. Ever since Miasma had chosen to "deal" with the Chrysalis loyalists, an oppressive air had cast its heavy pall over the hive. What Miasma had earned through the actions that brought such a feeling upon the hive was more fear than respect. Still, the number of these deaths paled in comparison to the number that had led to the exile of the hive's former head.

The soldier's hooves carried him straight for the great dead tree that dominated the hive floor. There is no telling what state of mind Miasma is in, but to force my way in will surely see me slain. Kytin mused, stopping at the base of the tree.

The throne room of every hive is always equipped with a secret exit to ensure the queen's safety in the event that things turn sour. Normally, it is only the queen and her centurion that possess knowledge of their hive's particular escape route. However, given the size of the hive at the time of its creation, a select additional few were granted knowledge of this information. Kytin was one of those few.

Once behind the tree and removed from the sight of his hivemates, the low hum of vibrating wings lifted the soldier into the air, placing him upon one particular branch approximately halfway up its imposing trunk. To any eyes unaware of the escape route, this branch was no different than any of the others upon the wooden carcass. Magic bubbled from Kytin's short horn in a green aura, breaking the illusory spell in place upon the trunk. No longer disguised by the arcane, an entrance melted into view upon the bark.

Furtive glances were cast about before the changeling ducked into the new opening. Once inside, Kytin re-set the illusion. He kept the magic about his horn to illuminate the tree's pitch-black interior. Clinging to the inside of the trunk and winding its way upward, a path of rough platforms were hewn into the wood. One step at a time, with his magic keeping those steps silent, the soldier began climbing. He didn't dare use his wings. The escape route was designed to amplify any sound made within. If Miasma was still in the throne room as Coxa had said, any wingbeats would carry straight up to her waiting ears. Provoking her while she was in such an emotionally unstable state would be foolish at best. At worst? Kytin had plans and being impaled upon Miasma's horn as punishment for sneaking around wasn't one of them.

The higher the soldier climbed up the trunk, the better his ears caught a sound most unfamiliar. Crying? Who would be crying?

Kytin's hoofsteps fell slower the closer he drew to the top of the staircase. He broke one more spell, letting him peer down upon the main chamber of the throne room and the queen sitting within. Miasma! A snarl crawled across Kytin's mouth at just the sight of her magenta-hued mane. His snarl was almost instantly replaced with a look of confusion as he finally saw the source of the crying. The shoulders of the changeling queen trembled with each ragged breath she took. Kytin was now close enough that he could hear the expected sniffling.

What is this?

-------------------------

The helmet of a centurion is of great importance to the hive which he serves. A centurion will wear the helmet until death ends his service. At such a time, his helm and accompanying armor will be passed down to the one chosen as his successor, with repairs made if necessary. Under normal circumstances such a process is done quickly, so that the station is never left vacant for too long.

The circumstances upon Miasma at the moment were far from normal. She was in a hive that was not her own and only two of her children were here with her. There had been three, but that was before Chrysalis' brief visit.

"Damn you, Chrysalis..." The reflection within Arnyx's helmet let Miasma watch the tears falling from her own eyes. The magic floating from her horn turned the helmet so that the queen stared into the void where her centurion's face had been mere days before. Miasma rarely voiced her affection to her children and her temper berated them more often than not, but she was still their mother and loved them all the same.

To watch a rival queen claim the life of not only one of her children, but her centurion, in cold blood... "Damn you, Chrysalis!" The helm cradled within Miasma's magic shook with the queen's fury. "You know full well the bond a queen has with her centurion! You h-heartless bitch!" she sobbed.

For a creature that is surrounded by thousands nearly every waking moment to feel completely and utterly alone is unheard of. And yet...Miasma felt it. The cold flame of loneliness burning itself into her chest. It was a strange and alien feeling. Halfway across Equestria, separated from her hive and her children. A changeling queen would not be caught dead caring about the well-being of one of her rivals, but Miasma unwittingly knew the pain upon Chrysalis' heart.

"Y-your Majesty? A-are you all right?"

"I-It's been two days..."

The pair of shaky voices snapped Miasma's attention to the nearby entrance of the stolen throne room. From the other side of the arched doorway, two small black heads peered inside at their queen. Before either party could decide upon any further words, Miasma's temper took over and made the decision for her. "Idiots! Do not look upon me!" Following the furious order across the chamber, Arnyx's helm went spinning towards the two incense bearers. They instantly disappeared at the sight of the armor turned projectile, letting it clatter harmlessly to the throne room floor.

Rage burned within Miasma's eyes for a moment more before what she had committed dawned upon her. Anger was quick to return to the queen; not towards her children or even toward Chrysalis, but toward herself. "Damn it!"

The loudly delivered expletive was followed by a bout of hastily muffled sniffling. The two changelings exchanged uncomfortable glances from each side of the arched entryway. The verbal abuse and harsh commands they had long grown accustomed to. However, the same could not be said of these sounds of mourning. To hear such things coming from their mother was strange to the point of being physically unnerving. Their confusion only heightened at the tone of the voice that came floating from within the throne room.

"Kaditi, Rykas? Come to my side. I wish to speak with you."

Another awkward look passed between the pair of incense bearers. "Should we enter?"

"I-I don't know..."

"That was an order."

Such a tone would brook no nonsense. At the insistence of their ruler, the two changelings slowly entered the chamber. As he did so, Rykas' eye fell upon the discarded helm of his centurion. This he pulled toward himself with the aura cast from his horn. Right across the path of his hivemate.

With his tentative gaze fixed upon his queen, Kaditi failed to see the helmet floating along under his hooves. The helm slipped under his hoof as he stepped forward, pulling his footing right out from under him, dropping him rather unceremoniously to the floor. "Hey, idiot! Watch what you're doing with that helmet! That's important!" In an act most contradictory, Kaditi magically yanked the helmet from his hivemate's grasp and rapped its solid construction against the side of Rykas' head.

"Oww! Now who's the idiot! Don't hit me with Arnyx's helmet, you disrespectful twit!"

"Says you; dragging it under my hooves like that!"

The smallest of smiles found its way onto Miasma's lips at the two squabbling changelings before her. A rare sight this was; there was no malice or ill will within her expression. "Hmmhmmhmm... You're both idiots... And that's just the way it should be."

The quiet utterance from their mother instantly silenced the two quarreling incense bearers. Their pupilless eyes were wide and scared, no doubt having seen the uncharacteristic smile upon Miasma's face. This time, the two of them didn't even trade glances. The lack of any sort of outburst at their antics had shocked them into complete stillness.

Shock or not, Miasma had given her children an order and they had not yet obeyed. "Damned fools! Have you bile dwelling within your ears!? Make haste! I ordered you to my side!" the changeling queen barked.

Like ice melting after being introduced to flame, the pair of changelings began moving once more. That was the queen they were used to. The incense bearers both stopped before their queen and took a knee. "For what reason did you wish to see us, your Majesty?" Rykas voiced the question both he and his hivemate held as to their summoning.

"I have dealt with Chrysalis enough to know that she will be returning. I cannot speak as to her plans, but it is of the utmost importance to establish precautions. When she returns, the two of you are to seek shelter as far away as you can find it. I left my children too close to the enemy without knowledge of what it would cost me. That was a cost I will not pay again. I alone shall deal with Chrysalis. Interfere and there will be consequences. Understood?"

Rykas nodded. "Understood, your Majesty. If you desire to excuse us, we shall return to our posts outside."

Miasma shook her head curtly. "I desire no such action from you. The two of you shall accompany me within this chamber until such a time as I say otherwise. Come. Sit at my side. Both of you."

"Of course."

Each of the two changelings took up their own spot on either side of their matriarch. In their doing so, Miasma felt the steady burn of the loneliness inside her grow less so, before it flickered its last and disappeared. She may not have been within her own hive, but her children were at her side once again.

Author's Note:

The idea for this chapter came to me from completely out of the blue.

Yes, the events of Love Lost do indeed paint Queen Miasma as the antagonist, but one must remember that Miasma is still a changeling queen. By extension she is also a mother and loves her children just as much as we already know Chrysalis to. Keep that fact in mind as future chapters come down the road.

In light of chapter 11, which is within Carni's inbox for pre-reading, I have returned to Ambrosia's introductory chapter to adjust the dialogue she overhears between Chrysalis and Sylph so that it better reflects the events we have seen pass between the queen of the Chrysalis hive and her centurion.

Also pertaining to the next chapter, there is one among you who correctly named one of my two criteria for naming centurions, as well as drawing my attention to a pattern I had not actually noticed myself using. You know who you are and to you I would like to extend a "Congratulations." You helped me name Queen Ambrosia's centurion. Good on ya.

Enjoy and stay classy, readers.

*Approved for your viewing pleasure by Carnifex and Spiritofthwwolf.