• Published 15th Mar 2013
  • 2,537 Views, 212 Comments

Assassin's Creed: Musical Overture - SaxPon3



Octavia is a normal pony by most standards, but that soon changes. In her family, there is a music box. It may seem to be ordinary, but that was before the Templars got involved. Now she has a choice: kill, or be killed.

  • ...
3
 212
 2,537

Chapter 3: Tragedy and Hope

Chapter 3! :D And we have a special guest here in this chapter. You guys asked for a griffon, so I gave y’all a griffon. But not just any griffon. Read and find out who it is!

Octavia was silent as Vinyl Scratch worked on the portal to Canterlot. “What....what is that supposed to mean?”

Dash bit her lip, then said, “It’s a little hard to explain. The Rector is.....well.....”

“Crazy?” Vinyl suggested.

Rainbow gave her a look, and she went back to working on the portal silently. She then turned back to Octavia. “Crazy isn’t the best word to use here....she’s more behind the times, I guess you could say.”

“Who is she?”

“I can’t exactly tell you, at least not until you’ve joined.” The cyan Assassin said, sitting down on a chair. “She’s somepony that never lets anypony else, other than those under her, know that she’s a part of the Brotherhood. Heck, not even her sister knows who she really is.”

Octavia sat in the chair next to Dash’s. “So what you’re telling me that I’m going to meet a mare who could possibly drive me insane, and is about as mysterious as—as—”

“The dark side of the moon?” Vinyl piped in, earning her another glare from her leader. Rainbow rolled her eyes, and gave Octavia a sympathetic look.

“Octavia, I know that this hasn’t been the best week.” Rainbow Dash said, her voice low and quiet. “First you almost get killed, then you wake up with two random mares dressed in strange clothes barging into the room, and now you’re being inducted into an order that has existed for over a thousand years in secrecy.” She looked up, and Octavia could sense that she was going to say something really philosophical, something meaningful and thought-provoking.

“Your life really sucks right now.”

Octavia fell out of her chair, not expecting that. She got back up, and glared at the rainbow adorned pegasus, who was now laughing herself to tears. “You don’t say, do you?!”

Wiping away a tear, Rainbow Dash simply gave her her signature cocky smirk. “What can I say? I’ve got a way with words.” She got down and helped Octavia back into her chair.

Once she was situated and calmed down, Octavia looked at Rainbow Dash. The events of the past few days seemed to suddenly weigh down on her, and her shoulders sagged.

“Dash....why me?”

“Eh?”

“I’m just a normal pony, who led a normal life!” Octavia said, now getting tears in her eyes. “I had a good home, a great job, friends....why did those ponies have to get in and take it all away?”

Rainbow thought for a second before replying. She closed her eyes and thought for a little. Finally, Rainbow Dash looked back at Octavia. “You really don’t know your heritage, do you? That box—” She pointed over to the music box, which was placed on the dresser, “—is no normal box. Did you ever notice anything strange about it?”

“Well.....now that you mention it, it is really old, and yet that painting in there looks brand new.”

“That’s one thing,” Rainbow said, “but that isn’t the strangest. Whenever you listen to it, you get really sleepy, right?”

Octavia nodded, not sure where they were going with this. “Yes, I do. What does that have to do with anything? Music helps me sleep.”

“Maybe, but normally that takes longer than a few minutes. I’m assuming with this box you fell asleep within that time.”

The grey mare was quiet. Was what Rainbow trying to say was that—

“The music box is magic.”

Her heart fell. “So....it’s true. I thought that might’ve been it, but it just seemed so absurd.”

“It’s not nearly as crazy as it sounds,” Dash replied, shrugging. “The thing is from an ancient line of magical items, all linked to Them.” Dash’s eyes suddenly popped open. “Whoops. I’ve said a little too much. It ain’t my job to tell you that bit. Here’s what I will tell you though.

“The Templars want that box. Bad. We don’t really know for what reason, but no doubt it has to do with its strange ability to make you fall asleep fast.” Rainbow muttered, deep in thought. “We’ve sent agents in to infiltrate their bases, but no matter what they come back empty-hoofed. Not to mention the head honcho always seems to be one step ahead of us.”

Vinyl turned and looked at the pair. “Portal’s almost done. Get ready to go.” With that, there was a big flash, and a purple pink gate was before her, glowing bright with energy. The DJ Pony beckoned Octavia, who cautiously stepped forward.

“So um,” Octavia stuttered. “Do I just walk through?”

“Yup! Simple as can be!” Vinyl said cheerfully. “Just make sure you mind your manners when you meet the Rector. She can be a little....overbearing.”

Rainbow Dash sniggered. “Got that right. Remember the time I renamed her diamond sword ‘To The Moon With You!’? She was pissed!”

Not wanting to hear anymore, Octavia hurriedly stepped through the portal.


As soon as she did so, Octavia fell down fifteen feet and landed on a desk in a dark room dimly lit by torches. She grimaced in pain as she checked for injuries, and then noticed what she was sitting on. It was a dark mahogany study, and ink was spilled all over the papers...some of which looked important.

Great, Octavia muttered to herself. Just joined this group and already somepony’s going to be angry with me.

Knowing that the other two would follow soon, Octavia hopped off the desk and took a look around the study. It was made from some kind of brick, which was dark as night and shiny as a clear pool. Obsidian, perhaps? Octavia never was into gemstones and the like, so it could’ve been just random bits of rock for all she knew. There were rows of bookshelves built into the walls, full of strange texts like “Eden: Legends of the Ancients”, “The Secret History of Equestria”, and a weird looking book with a pick ax on the cover titled “Minecraft: The Ultimate Compendium”. Some strange magazine titled “GameInformer” was on a book stand. The cover had some art for what appeared to be an upcoming video game called “Battlefield 4” or something. Strange thing to have in a study, but who was Octavia to judge? She had her own oddities in her study.....or at least she used to, before it burned down with the rest of her house.

She set the magazine back onto its stand, and was about to grab another book when there was a loud crash on the desk. The complaining voice that ensued made it apparent that Rainbow Dash had arrived. Another thump indicated that Vinyl had as well, though she surrounded herself in magical aura before she crashed, softening her fall. Of course, landing on a pegasus helped too.

“Sweet Celestia, Scratch!” Rainbow bellowed. “Why do you keep doing that?!”

Vinyl put her arms up defensively. “Hey, I’m still new to portal making. If we had gotten your friend Twilight to do it instead—”

“We can’t do that, idiot! She’d have to know where to go first!” Rainbow replied, rolling her eyes. “I can’t bring any of them into this.”

“And yet you bring my best friend into it?”

“She’s different!”

A loud cough came from the doorway. Octavia turned her head to see a very miffed looking pony, whose fur matched the dark blue of the night sky. Her luminescent mane flowed freely, out of which stuck a long dark horn. Her black robes matched the crimson Assassin’s pendant around her neck. On her head was a crown of obsidian. Large wings came out from the side of her robes, which had a similar design to Rainbow Dash’s and Vinyl’s. Her cerulean blue eyes gave a steely glare at the two ponies on her desk, as well as the one standing next to her bookshelf.

“Excuse me,” said Princess Luna. “But what in the name of the ancients are you three doing here?”


Octavia gaped at the ruler of the night, stunned that the princess was in her presence. She immediately dropped to her knees and bowed to her, as was custom.

“Princess.....it’s an honor to meet you.” Octavia said, her eyes looking up at her.

Luna looked amused. She walked over and beckoned Octavia up. “None of that formality here, young mare. Among fellow Assassin’s, a little respect is nice. But we have no need for extremities.” Her eyes hardened once more. “However, I’d like to know how and why I have three random ponies in my study.”

Vinyl gulped and leaped off of the desk, papers stuck to her robes. “Um, you see Rector, um—”

“Wait, Luna’s the Rector?!” Octavia shouted. “But...how?!”

Luna immediately took a step back, a little offended. “Dost thou perhaps think that thy skills are superior to our own?! Thou darest say--" She shook her head. “Sorry, I go back to that whenever I’m flustered. Do you perhap think that I am weak?” Her eyes narrowed at Octavia, who shrunk away.

“N-not at all....I was just surprised.” Octavia stuttered. “I mean, you are one of the rulers of Equestria. I’m sure that if you were an Assassin, everypony would know.”

Luna laughed. “My dear sister doesn’t even know. Nay, this is an organization shrouded in secrecy. Why? Because the only way to fight stealth is with stealth. I learned that all those years ago when I started the Brotherhood.”

Octavia’s head was spinning. She simply sat down and said, “I don’t get it.”

Princess Luna gave the other two a hard look, causing them to squirm uncomfortably. “I thought you two were going to recruit her. Why didn’t you tell her our history?”

Rainbow Dash stepped off the desk, and stood at attention. “Well Princess, the truth is, we’ve had some troubles with Templars, weird visions, and......Octavia’s been having dreams.”

The mood suddenly shifted from cool and relaxed to dead serious. Luna immediately started to pace around, before looking at Octavia. “These dreams you’ve been having.....do they perhaps pertain to a certain pony?”

“Well, they do have this one stallion constantly in there.” Octavia said, trying to remember. “His name is rather strange, too. I’m sure he was an Assassin though.”

“What was his name?”

“Vando....Vando Stacatto.”

When she heard this, Princess Luna’s eyes immediately became like those of a caged animals. She began to pace around, not aware of the three watching her.

“Impossible....how can he have a descendant?” Luna muttered. “He was banished from the order, and from Canterlot by one of my successors...” She looked over at the three, and stopped pacing. “I must ask you three to leave. I need some time to think. Take her and tell her the history of the Assassin’s Creed.”

Rainbow Dash and Vinyl Scratch snapped to a stout salute, and grabbed Octavia, pulling her out of the study, which Luna shut with a wave of her horn.

“Huh. Alright then.” Rainbow Dash said, beginning to walk off. “C’mon you two, let’s head off to chow.”


As her two friends sat down and began to eat, Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but notice how calm Octavia was about the whole thing. Vinyl was telling her all about the history of the Brotherhood, and she just sat there and nodded while chewing on some bread. It was strange, really. She’d almost been killed, and so soon afterwards agreed to become an Assassin.

Of course, not all get inducted like I did.

She glared at Vinyl, whom she knew carried a photo of her family back in Canterlot at all times. She knew it was wrong, but she couldn’t help feeling jealous. No longer could she remember the soft voice of her mother singing her to sleep, or the deep bellowing laughter of her father. Dash had no one in this world.

That’s a load of hay. You have your friends, you dolt.

Friends were great, there was no denying that. Twilight and the girls were the best thing that ever happened to her. It helped cover up the scar that was in her heart. But, no matter how amazing they were, they’d never be able to heal that scar. Only her family could do that, and they were dead.

She held back tears, knowing that if she let it out, the entire mess hall would only snicker more at her. Dash was renowned as a failure throughout the Brotherhood. She had gotten the position of Mater of Ponyville mainly off of sympathy from the past Rector, and had only one other Assassin in her sect. In short....she hasn’t done much. Still, Rainbow could not show fear, no matter how few followed her.

“A leader must never show weakness, for if they do, those following them will lose hope.”

Thus spoke the previous Rector, before Luna returned to them. He had been a good one, a stallion of noble heart. Still, it was nice having the Princess in charge. It gave Rainbow a clean slate, as far as failures were concerned.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Octavia’s laugh, and Rainbow Dash’s anger subsided a little. There had been a reason why she’d cried after her story. Rainbow Dash could relate; her mother too had been killed by the Templars. But, Octavia still had relatives that took care of her. Rainbow....she had absolutely no one. Above all, Rainbow missed her dad, who had the same mane as her. Whenever she was scared, she would go to him for comfort, to have a warm body to cuddle with. Spirit Wings was his name. Just the name alone brought back so many memories.....something Rainbow wished would stop happening.

Why, out of all the Assassins, did Rainbow Dash have to have the most tragic past? She began to think of the day it all began.

As the memories started to return, Rainbow felt her eyes get heavier, and heavier, and heavier.......


Rainbow Dash could hardly wait for the day at flight school to end. She had aced her latest test, and was once again the top of her class for the grading period. Many ponies said her dreams were literally in reach once she graduated; she’d become a professional flyer for sure. But that wasn’t why she was excited. Dash was hovering in glee for something of greater value: Family Day.

This year, her parents were going to take her to a real Wonderbolts show! It’s what she’d always dreamed of…to see her heroes zooming through the air and performing mind-blowing tricks. But, it wasn’t really that that got her excited. It was the thought of spending time with her beloved mother and father.

Rainbow Dash and her parents had always been very close. Since her early years, the young filly had spent every possible spare hour flying with her father, Spirit Wings, a member of the Equestrian Guard, or performing aerial dances with her graceful mother, Aurora Luminara, the most beautiful mare Rainbow Dash ever knew. The three were in a world of their own whenever they were together, and nothing ever separated them. Nothing, and she meant nothing, could come between them.

Rainbow Dash hummed along to a common tune as she stuffed the last book into her saddlebags. She smiled as she headed out the door, ready for a day of thrills and amazement. She walked out of the school, and was about to head out to the pick-up point when she saw her teacher, Ms. Tillow Feathers, having a hushed conversation with a stallion dressed in golden armor. He was an Equestrian Guard, just like her father.

Rainbow Dash flew over, a huge grin plastered on her face. “Hiya Ms. Tillow! Hey, Mr. Guard. Seen my dad lately? He’s supposed to pick me up later to take me and my mother to a Wonderbolts show, and after that we’re going to go eat dinner. I really like that one joint next to the Cloudiseum with those delicious hay fries, and—”

“Rainbow Dash.”

Dash immediately stopped chatting, confused by her normally bubbly teacher’s unusually grave tone. The look on her face too…..it was something Rainbow had never seen before. It wasn’t the usual looks she had gotten from Ms. Tillow; instead of being full of pride and awe, her eyes were teary and full of something else….sympathy.

The guard cleared his throat. “Shall I tell her?”

“No.” Ms. Tillow said shakily. “Perhaps it’s best that I do it.”

More scared now than confused, Rainbow Dash began to have horrible thoughts in her head. Had she done something wrong? Had she failed a test? Did her last flight maneuver not get recorded correctly? Questions ran through her mind, each prospect worse than the last. Ms. Tillow steered the young filly back to the classroom, where she gave Dash a slight push into the room. Ms. Tillow turned and closed the door behind them, and locked it.

Immediately after her teacher faced her, Rainbow Dash began to barrage her with questions.

“Ms. Tillow, what’s wrong? Did I do something wrong—“

“Rainbow—“

“—cause if I did I’m sorry—”

“Rainbow—”

“—or is it a test that I did bad on—”

“Rainbow Fulmenala Dash!”

The use of her full name(which she hated) brought the filly’s mouth to a close. Anytime somepony had used her full name, Rainbow Dash knew she was in trouble.

Rainbow Dash looked at the ground, tears coming from her eyes. “I-I’m sorry Ms. Tillow. I don’t know what I did. Please…”

A sigh of sympathy escaped her teacher’s mouth. Then, she spoke softly. “Rainbow Dash, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

Upon hearing those words, Rainbow Dash immediately perked up and hovered towards the door. “Oh in that case, I’d better get going. My dad’s coming to pick me up, and I don’t want to be late.” She struggled with the door, and then remembered it was locked. She turned towards her teacher, who still had that strange look on her face. “Um, Ms. Tillow? Would you mind unlocking this door, please?”

The teacher continued to give Rainbow Dash a look of sympathy.

Rainbow was beginning to feel a little freaked out. “Uh, Ms. Tillow, I really need to get going. Daddy should be here any minute now, and he doesn’t like it when I’m late.”

Finally, Ms. Tillow sighed. “Rainbow Dash….your father isn’t coming.”

The filly stood still, a little confused at her teacher’s words. “What do you mean? Is my Mommy coming to get me?”

“No…..neither of them are.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Oh, this is a joke you three are playing on me, isn’t it? I see.” She flew over to the closet, and knocked on the door. “Alright Mom, Dad, you can come out now!” No answer. Thinking that they were just trying to keep quiet, Rainbow opened the door.

It was empty. Nopony was in there.

Rainbow Dash began to feel a little panicked. “Ms. Tillow…..where are my parents?”

“I told you already. They’re not coming to get you.”

“That doesn’t tell me anything!” Rainbow Dash cried, tears now forming. “Why aren’t they coming? Did something happen?”

Silence. Then, she spoke. “Rainbow Dash…..your father was out on a mission for the princess, and your mother was allowed to accompany him. They were simply delivering a message, and were traveling along a road near Appleloosa.”

“Oh, so they’re just on some business?” Rainbow Dash said, calming down. “Ok. I can wait here till—”

A stern look from her teacher halted her words. “I’m not finished yet. While on the road…they were attacked by some bandits, and…well…..they didn’t make it.”

Rainbow frowned. “Like, to Appleloosa?”

“Sweet Celestia!” Ms. Tillow cursed, crying. “No, Rainbow Dash….they’re dead.”

Silence. Then the filly gave a weak smile.

“Th-there’s no way they’d be d-dead.” Rainbow Dash said shakily. “They’re my parents….there supposed to always be there for me…” Tears began to form. “To kiss me goodnight…..” Her lips started to quiver. “….To be with me when I’m sad….” Suddenly, she stopped speaking, only soft cries coming from her mouth.

Then, she spoke again. “Ms. Tillow…..Is this true?”

Ms. Tillow sighed, and told her as softly as she could. “I’m afraid so, Dashie…”

More tears, more sniffles. Then heavy breathing took its place. Dash looked up at her teacher, anger in her eyes.

“I DON’T BELIEVE YOU!” She cried, her emotions swirling about. “THEY’RE OUT THERE, I KNOW THEY ARE!” Dash lifted up, flew over to the window, and began to smash at it.

“Rainbow Dash!” Her teacher cried. “Please, stop! Your parents aren’t—”

Rainbow turned around once more and glared at her teacher, eyes full of denial and pain, before smashing through the window completely. The broken glass cut her little body, but Dash didn’t care. It was nothing to the sorrow of losing her parents….which she couldn’t accept. They were out there. She knew it. The cyan filly ignored the cries of her teacher and instead flew as fast as she could back to her home.

She arrived at her home, noticing that the light was still on in the kitchen. Hope budded in her heart, for she knew her mother liked to cook dinner early.

Rainbow Dash raced through the door, ready to embrace her mom and cry her eyes out. When she reached the kitchen doorway, she stopped.

The pony in there wasn’t her mother. It was a strangely cloaked stallion.

“Rainbow Fulmenala Dash?”

“Y-yes, that’s me.”

The stallion took off his hood, revealing a unicorn with a hardened face that had a scar over his right eye. “My name is Wither Blade. I am a friend of your father’s.”

“Do you know where he is?” Rainbow Dash squeaked, running up to the pony. “Is he alive? I was told that—”

“That he was dead?”

Rainbow looked up at Wither Blade, fear present in her face, and nodded.

Wither looked down at her, guilt in his eyes. “I’m afraid so, my child. Your parents have left this world.”

The words rang through her head. Rainbow Dash bit her lip, and shook her head.

“I’m sorry, Rainbow, but it’s true.” Wither whispered. He reached out to touch the filly, but she recoiled and snarled at him.

“You’re lying!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“I am not. There is no reason for me to do so.”

The little cyan filly shook with rage, grief dominating her mind. “But they can’t be dead....I need them. Mommy.....Daddy.....”

Wither Blade reached out to the crying foal, and this time she didn’t move away. He stroked her beautiful rainbow mane softly. “Rainbow, your parents died in my service. They did me many favors, and fulfilled their duties. I am forever in their debt.”

“What d-does that m-mean?”

“Come with me and I will show you. Do you know what an Assassin is?”


“Hey! Rainbow!”

Dash was snapped out of her memories to see a familiar face looking at her in concern. One of the few she would consider family left in this world.

“Hey, Jackle App. How you been?” Rainbow asked, wiping away tears.

Jackle rolled his eyes. “Same old same old. No real Templar threats in the Griffon Kingdom.” He reached a claw up to brush away a small tear that was left on the cyan pony’s face. “How about you? Had a tough time?”

Immediately a brave front came up. “Heh, yeah, what’d you expect? Nothing bothers me.”

Jackle raised an eyebrow, his emerald eyes piercing through the thin facade. “Rainbow, I raised you like you were my own child. You can’t hide anything from me.”

Dash sighed. He was right. Rainbow looked over to her companions, who were still eating and drinking away. Well, she had time to talk. She might as well do it.

As she explained her situation, Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but feel glad to have someone like Jackle App who was constantly at her side. He loved her like his own daughter, which meant he was the closest thing that Dash had to a father. The previous Rector, Wither Blade, put her in Jackle’s care after her parents died. He raised her, taught her the value of life, and trained her in the ways of the Assassins. In short, he created the mare she was today.

After Rainbow finished explaining, Jackle immediately delved into the lecture she’d heard hundreds of times. This wasn’t the first time that this problem came up, and every time she’d hear the same answer.

“Now, before I go on let me remind you about something, Rainbow.” He started. “The answer you need isn’t always the one you want.”

At this point, Rainbow Dash would completely zone him out. She examined his figure. He was a bit thin for a griffon, with pure white feathers that was the complete opposite of his pitch black cloak. His powerful wings were tucked into his side, and in this poise, Jackle always carried an air of seriousness. But she knew better.

Back in the real world, everypony and every griffon knew the name JackleApp. That was the stage name he created, putting his first and last names together. He was much like Vinyl, or “the DJ Pon3” as she was known. They were independent musicians, and their songs gained great popularity. Whenever he was out and about, Jackle would always be followed by a small crowd of avid fans.

“Hello? Are you listening to me?!”

Dash was snapped back to the present. “Sorry. Got thinking about....other things.”

“You mean the real world, eh?”

“In a way, yes.”

Jackle App laughed, a deep bellowing sound. “Let me take a guess. Were you thinking once again about me and my little following?”

Her wings flared up, and Rainbow Dash hovered slightly above the smirking griffon. “Little?! You’re like a rock star, Jackle! It’s a pretty big deal.”

The griffon shrugged, and simply smiled back. “If anything it’s just a cover. What we do here is much more important than my next album. Although, making music is an added bonus.”

“Still so dang modest about things, ain’tcha?” Dash said, rolling her eyes. “Come on. Give yourself some credit. You’re a talented guy. I thought griffons were supposed to have pride.”

Jackle sighed, as if this was a repeated subject. “Pride is one thing. Bragging is completely different.” He pointed to Octavia, who was following Vinyl towards the Infirmary. “Take that cellist, for example. What she’s accomplished is incredible. She was an orphan, who had almost no possibility for a great future. What did she do? She stood up and showed the world her music, not afraid of what anypony thought of her. Look at who she is now: an esteemed musician of Equestria.”

Dash raised an eyebrow. “Are you saying I’m a failure because I didn’t do something like that after my parents died?” There was a joking tone in her voice, but Jackle immediately took a grave face.

“My daughter, you are anything but a failure.” He said, bringing her in for a hug. “You’ve done more for the world than anypony will ever realize.” He laughed, and messed up her mane. “After all, who returned the Rector to us?”

“That was a team effort with my friends...”

“Who defeated the Spirit of Chaos?”

“It wasn’t just me!”

“Who saved the Chrystal Empire?”

“Actually, that was Spike.....”

Jackle gave up. “The point is, Rainbow, that you’ve done things in your life that can’t be measured by ordinary success. You’ve literally saved the world multiple times. As an Assassin, my daughter, and more importantly as a pony, you’ve done more than you know.” With that, he brought her in for another hug.

Warmth spread over her body. Rainbow Dash smiled, and felt a tear slide down her face. “Thanks, Jackle. You really know how to cheer a girl up.”

“No problem.....although, you know you can call me dad, right?”

“In your dreams, bird brain.”


Luna looked out the magical window behind her desk. The Assassin’s headquarters were underneath Canterlot, but these windows gave her a peek of what was going on above. Normally, they were hidden behind black curtains, but now they were open. The Princess of the Night gazed at her subjects walking about, basking in her sister’s sun.

‘Tis sad that they do not know the dangers that threaten them every day, Luna thought. These innocent ponies lived a life of complete naivety, full of happiness and love. That innocence was constantly protected by those who followed her.

When she returned from her banishment from the moon, Luna feared the worst, that the Brotherhood had dissolved and that the Templars won the war. However, she was surprised to find that it was still the same, that the Assassin’s had continued to keep the Templars at a stalemate. She was proud that others took her place after she fell, that they continued to fight the fight that nopony else could.

And now, even after one thousand years, that fight is still going on. Luna shook her head. What a depressing though. It didn’t help that this new pony that Rainbow Dash brought with her....Octavia, was it? In any case, she only further complicated things. Luna turned around and once more examined the box that was sitting on her desk.

To any normal passerby, it would seem like an ordinary music box. But, with her training and knowledge, the shadowy mare knew otherwise. This was what was meant to be a gift from Them. She hadn’t met with Them in a long time, not since before her banishment. It was a matter of shame for her.

“Why in Equestria would they want to see me anyway?” Luna muttered bitterly. “It was the very responsibility they gave me that caused my corruption.” They’d given her a precious artifact to guard, before leaving this world. For many years, she and her order kept it safe, along with the help of her sister and the Elements. It was hard, keeping the Brotherhood secret from Tia, but a necessity nonetheless. She had enough on her mind as is.

This included the stallion Vando Stacatto. That colt was a mystery to her. She’d read up on every fact about him, from his great successes to his fall from grace. She cringed in particular whenever she remembered that his beloved had perished in flames. This caused him to spiral out of control, to the point that the appointed Rector at the time was forced to banish him.

However, as soon as she did so, the box had disappeared along with him. Luna knew it was his mission to protect it, but for what reason did it disappear? Did he perhaps taken his duty to extremes and stolen the music box after his banishment? Nopony knew….or at least, nopony except the Rector who banished him. All Luna knew was that he had somehow had another relationship with another mare, and thus had a descendant. More specifically, a descendant named Octavia.

How did she know that Octavia was the descendant of the famed Vando Stacatto? It was a simple matter really. When she’d fallen from the portal, the grey mare had a small cut that left some blood on her desk. After hearing that Octavia had dreams about Vando, Luna took the blood and performed a spell that traced her lineage through the DNA contained within it. It confirmed her suspicions. Octavia was indeed the descendant of the infamous rogue Assassin.

Strange that the child of traitor’s blood would join our ranks, Luna thought, amused.

Luna turned her thoughts back to the artifact before her. It had that same magical hum as the other one did, a power that was beyond even the understanding of an alicorn. When Luna reached a hoof forward to open it, a golden aura suddenly surrounded the box, preventing her from touching it. The dark coated princess slammed her hoof down in frustration. Why did this keep happening? Did somepony put some kind of spell on it? Even if this was true, why couldn’t she unbind it?

Falling back into her chair, Luna let out a tremendous sigh. It was such a confusing charade. What was He trying to do? He already possessed the other piece, and if her suspicions were correct and this was the second, then it had to be hidden away. It was her sworn duty both as Princess of the Night and as the Rector. Besides, it had been her fault that the other had fallen into His hooves. She had to somehow either kill him, or get it back.

As she sat brooding, a sudden boom echoed throughout the headquarters. It was faint, but Luna could sense traces of magic in the air. She immediately stood up, now on high alert. Lifting up the music box with her magic, Luna placed it in a safe near her desk. Nopony else knew of this place....except for maybe the Templars. Their leader....he was a crafty pony, so he might’ve figured out the location of the headquarters. He was coming for the box, and she had to do whatever she could to stop them. Luna concentrated, and lit up her horn, connecting to the first Assassin she thought of in the building.

“Hello? Can anypony hear me?” Luna asked, transmitting the message through the link. “Somepony give me a sitrep.”

Ma’am! This is Rainbow...*cough cough!*....Rainbow Dash speaking. They blew a hole from the surface above the mess hall, and are heading towards the Infirmary!

“Why would they do that?”

I don’t know. The box isn’t in there. There are other Assassins there, but.....oh no.

Luna began to feel dread in her heart. “What is it, Rainbow Dash?”

Princess, they’re not going for the box. They want Octavia. Jackle, get up! We need to head to the infirmary!

Immediately, Princess Luna felt her heart fall. She’d been a fool. The Templars originally targeted the young mare in the first place; it was obvious she had some part to play and they wanted her out of the game. Cursing, Luna clasped her sword to her belt and ran out of her office.

However, as she did so, she failed to notice that a shadowy figure crept in as soon as she left.


By the time Rainbow Dash got there, there was already dead ponies left and right behind her. Whoever the Templars sent to get Octavia....they were pretty skilled. Some of the Brotherhood’s best had been among the slain. The smell of their blood chilled her spine, but burned fury into her heart. Dash picked up the pace, eyes aglow with vengeance. She had taken to flying through the halls in order to get there faster, hoping that at least Vinyl was ok.

“Rainbow! Slow down, you’re in too deep!”

Jackle App wasn’t far behind, flying now to keep up with the angered mare. What he saw sickened him as well, but he also knew that in order to fight the Templars with the skill to slaughter so many, a level head was required. While Dash had ten years of experience on her side, her mental state was far from stable. Jackle knew his adopted daughter; when those who were even remotely considered an acquaintance were in danger, she would rush to their side. It was no wonder why she was the Element of Loyalty.

Still, that didn’t mean she was invincible.

“Rainbow Dash!” Jackle screamed, now desperately trying to get through to her. “If you don’t calm down, none of your friends will make it out of this alive!

Rainbow Dash turned and glared at him. “Well, they won’t make it either if we don’t get there fast enough!” With that, she threw out her foot and kicked down the door to the infirmary, sending it flying. Inside, it looked like hell had been brought to the earth..

The entire room had blood splattered everywhere. Fallen Assassins laid across the floor, some dead, others barely breathing. To her right Rainbow Dash could see a zebra who was breathing heavily on the tile, the knife in his chest going up and down with every breath.

She rushed to his side. “What is your name?”

He gazed back at her. “C-cyrus, Mater Rainbow. They...they were so fast.”

“I understand. How many of them were there?”

“Two, Mater. Th-they surprised all of us here, and killed so many.”

Rainbow’s jaws dropped. “Just two? Two Templars did this?”

Behind her, an audible gasp came from Jackle’s beak. “Gods forbid.....please let it not be them.” He pushed Rainbow aside and looked into Cyrus’s eyes as he began to tend to his wound. “Tell me....these two....what did they look like?”

Cyrus closed his eyes, his eyebrows scrunched in thought. “They were two unicorns.....one with white fur and a black mane, the other with black fur and a white mane. They were dressed in light, sturdy armor, with a strange clock symbol on the chest plate.”

Jackle’s heart fell. “So it is them. I knew it.” He turned to his daughter, and told her who these two were. “These two ponies are known as the Clockwork Twins. They are some of the most skilled killers in the Templar’s arsenal, and would kill anypony simply for money, even if it meant another Templar. Their specialty is—”

Rainbow Dash interrupted him and grabbed Cyrus’s hoof. “Never mind who they are. Where did they go?”

“They followed two mares. They were heading towards the courtyard, about five minutes ago.”

Dash looked up, fear gripping her. “Damnn....they could be dead already. Jackle, we need to go after them.” With that, she stood up and flew off, desperate to find Vinyl and Octavia.

Reluctantly, Jackle stood up. He looked down at his fallen comrade. “Will you be alright, Cyrus.”

He smiled back in return. “Aye, I believe so sir. Thank you for what you’ve done. Go and make sure those two are okay.”

Nodding at him, Jackle soared away to follow his daughter. He just hope she knew what he was about to tell her.
Their specialty was illusionary magic.


Octavia walked silently as the two Templars marched her along. It seemed hard to believe what had transpired, but she kept her mouth shut. She only hoped that the trail she left would be followed.

Vinyl had pulled her away from the Infirmary as soon as the explosions echoed through the halls. She ordered every Assassin to stay on high alert and to stop the intruders. After that, the DJ grabbed Octavia and rushed out to the courtyard. However, when screams were heard from the area they’d just left, Vinyl cursed. These Templars, whoever they were, were strong.

As soon as they made it to the courtyard, a sudden voice halted them.

“Just where do you think you’re going?”

They turned around to see two unicorns, covered in blood. In their hooves they each held two knives, standing on their hind legs. One was black as night, the other white as snow. The grins on their faces sent chills down Octavia’s spine; they had enjoyed the cull.

“Like I’m actually going to tell you!” Vinyl yelled back, unsheathing her hidden blades.

The black one frowned. “Now really, is there any need for a fight?”

“Indeed, my brother,” said the white. “I’m sure this can be settled in a more....civilized way.”

Vinyl Scratch snorted. “Liars. You killed those others for fun.” Her eyes flashed. “Now you’re going to pay for it.” With that, she leapt at the two, fast as a lightning bolt. The unicorns simply stood there, letting the blue maned mare to approach.

Suddenly, a flash of light went through the room, and Vinyl was reappeared behind them. Quickly, she thrusted her blades into the backs of her enemies, causing them to cough out blood.

“Try reasoning with that!” Vinyl growled, twisting the blades. The two of them gasped in pain, before suddenly laughing insanely.

The black stallion turned his head back towards the Assassin, still cackling away. “Really, did you think that you would be able to kill us so quickly?” With that a puff of smoke went up, and instead of being impaled into a black fur, Vinyl’s blade was imbedded in something gray. When she realized what it was, her eyes widened in horror.

He blades had pierced Octavia’s chest.

Vinyl’s world began to whirl, and soon she was unconcious.

Octavia still wasn’t sure what had really transpired. All she knew that Vinyl had teleported behind them, and then shortly afterwards collapsed. Curiosity burned through her mind.

“Wondering what happened to your friend, eh?”

Octavia jumped in surprise, looking up at the black stallion. She slowly nodded.

He laughed. “Relax. We aren’t going to hurt you. We’ve been told to capture you alive.” His eyes, while full of true passion, seemed like a lie. Octavia felt a strange feeling wash over her, and she began to relax. The black unicorn nodded in approval. “Much better. As for what happened to her, we simply put her to sleep for a bit. She might’ve done something drastic to keep us from getting you, so we gave her a nice little dream to occupy her. Now, let’s introduce ourselves, eh?” He nodded towards his sister.

“We are, if you haven’t figured it out yet, siblings.” She said, her voice oily and soothing. “Twins, actually. I am Clock Strike, and he is Clock Stroke.”

“And....you’re Templars?”

“Aye, you could say that.” Clock Stroke said, before chuckling. “However, we’re more out for personal gain, mind you. Bits are hard to come by nowadays. A pony’s got to do what a pony’s got to do.”

A bitter taste suddenly filled Octavia’s mouth. “You’re mercenaries. You killed all of those ponies and others for a sack of bits?” Suddenly, she felt that relaxing feeling begin to break. “You two are monsters. Those were good ponies back there, and you slaughtered them for what? Fun? A bit of money?”

Clock Strike began to back away, her horn glowing. “Brother, your mind spell....it’s unravelling!”

“What?! Impossible. There’s no way any pony could break that.”

“Not unless their mind is strong enough to resist.”

Suddenly, the black stallion was kicked away by a cyan hoof, and his sister was about to use a fire spell when she too was knocked back by a black wing. Octavia crumpled to the ground, the spell now completely broken. She looked up to see Rainbow Dash and a griffon that she recognized from Vinyl’s social circle.

Octavia’s jaw dropped. “Jackle App?!”

Jackle turned his head back and winked at the cellist. “Ta, Octavia. Just hold on a sec. This shouldn’t take long.” With that, he rushed forward at his opponent, the devious Clock Strike. He swung his sword down at neck. However, before the blade could make contact with her flesh, a flash filled the room and now she was above the griffon. Strike fell down, two knives in her front hooves, poised to stab through Jackle’s back. He reacted quickly and rolled out of the way, flaring his wings to send dust into the air. Strike covered brought a hoof up to shield her eys from the particles, leaving her momentarily vulnerable. Jackle took advantage of this opportunity and brought his blade up, sending it straight at the mare’s chest. The point of the sword met it’s mark, and the blade went through Clock Strike’s chest, causing her to cough up blood. After twisting the blade for good measure, Jackle App pulled his sword out and wiped it on his cloak. Strike fell to the ground, coughing up blood. The griffon then turned to help Dash, but as he headed over, the cyan mare rebuked him.

“Stop!” Rainbow Dash said, narrowly dodging the Templar’s knife. Swish. Another narrow brush with death as the other knife came up and followed its twin, almost slicing through the mare’s throat. “This bastard’s mine!”

“What, afraid I’ll hurt your friends, like I did your mother?” Stroke taunted, laughing maniacally. This confused Jackle greatly, as the stallion couldn’t possibly be the one that killed Dash’s mother.

“SHUT UP!” Rainbow Dash screamed, sending a flurry of stabs at him, recklessly and furiously. Something was with this stallion, and it seemed that the more enraged Rainbow Dash became, the faster her got.

That’s impossible, Jackle thought, feeling helpless. Nopony’s faster than Dash. Then he noticed something.

The unicorn’s horn was glowing a sickly green, not at all the same color as it normally would. His image as well shifted, sometimes being a black stallion, and other times a strange pegasus with blood-stained hooves. The damn bastard was using an illusion spell to bring out Dash’s anger by making himself look like the stallion that killed her mother. Not only that, but he had casted a very complex combat magic, one that fed on his opponent’s emotions. It drained the other of their energy while the user got stronger. With Rainbow Dash in such a state, Clock Stroke had the upper hoof. If this continued, there was no way she could get out of this alive.

Cursing, Jackle drew his sword and charged at the pair, only to be stopped by a translucent green barrier that suddenly appeared.

Clock Stroke laughed at the helpless griffon. “Na-ah-ah! No cheating allowed. This is her game. Only she alone can play it.” A cyan hoof swung at his head, hidden blade almost cutting his cheek, but Stroke dodged at the last minute. Suddenly, his image changed back to that of the pegasus.

“Come now, Dash. Your father put up a much better fight than this!”

Rainbow flared her wings, and soared into the air. “Stop bucking talking about him!” She dove at him, hooves extended, the blades’ intended target being the stallion’s neck. He once again simply shifted his position before replying.

“Why? Afraid of the truth?” Clock Stroke taunted.

Rainbow landed on the ground, snarling. “I have no idea what you’re talking about buddy, but if you want to keep that voice of yours, you better shut up.”

Stroke laughed his maniacal laugh again, his eye full of insane glee. “You really have no idea? Well, let me tell you then.” He punched the side of her face, sending the pegasus flying. His image once again became that of the unknown stallion. He slowly advanced towards the stunned Rainbow, leisurely going step by step. “The truth is that you are a failure. A nobody. All of your dreams fell apart because you were too weak to keep them together.”

Rainbow’s eyes began to water, her one weakness having been opened up.

“Shut up.” She whispered. Tears streamed down her face. Jackle knew that if she stayed like this, she would be dead no matter what.

“Dash! Don’t listen to him!” Jackle hollered, desperate to reach his daughter’s ears. “He’s wrong!”

“You are worth nothing.” Clock said, his voice cold and bitter. “You’re not even worth the sacrifice that your father made for you.” Rainbow only laid on the ground, ears drooped and tears running down her face.

Jackle began to panic. With the barrier in the way, he couldn’t come to her side. “Rainbow Dash, please listen to me! You’re worth more than you know! Your father would be proud of you, believe me!”

However, Rainbow only closed her eyes and sighed. Any fight that was in her seemed to have left. Jackle’s heart fell. She’d given up. Crying, she spoke words that sent a chill down his spine.

“Just make it quick.”

Jackle’s eyes widened as Clock Stroke’s eyes widened with glee, and could only watch as the tip of his knife soared down towards the Rainbow Dash’s head.

Die.”

“I think not.”

A blast of dark blue magic knocked the stallion back, breaking both his barrier and his illusion. Rainbow suddenly snapped back to herself, and got to her hooves. She stared at her downed opponent, then looked for the source of the magic blast. Jackle followed suit, and was relieved to see Princess Luna, cloaked in shadowy tendrils.

“Rector!” Jackle gasped. “Thank the gods you’re here!”

“Indeed. It appears that I have made it just in time.” Luna said. Though her voice was calm, her eyes told a completely different story. They were full of cold malice, and unmerciful and baleful look that made the black stallion on the ground freeze up in fear. She walked towards him, the black tendrils following her. The shadows almost seemed to reach out towards her as she walked by them.

When she reached Clock Stroke, the princess of the night glared down at him. “Templar, do you know who I am?” He only replied with a terrified look, his pupils now small and his body shaking. “I am the terror of the night, the mare who created the stars and the moon. I am the queen of the shadows, the ruler of night in Equestria.” Her eyes suddenly filled with a white light. “Above all, I am the one chosen by the ancients for the duty of leading this Brotherhood.” She took one step closer to him, the shadows moving with her. They started to form tentacles, smoky tendrils made of pure darkness. Luna gazed once more at him, before speaking again. “You have brought one under my wing much distress, and killed many others. It is time that you receive the ultimate punishment.”

Clock Stroke gibbered and stammered before saying, “P-please don’t kill me! I’m sorry!”

Luna paused before steeling herself. “Nay, I won’t. But, tell that to the tortured souls of those you slaughtered, Templar.” With that, she swung her hoof, sending the shadows cloaking her at him. They descended upon the terrified screaming stallion, who scurried to get away. The shadows overtook him, and before long he was letting out cries of pure terror.

Princess Luna sighed and let the dark mantle over her fall. She was once more back to her normal state. Ignoring the screams of the Templar behind her, she turned towards Rainbow Dash.

“Dear Rainbow, are you alright?” The Rector asked, extending a hoof onto her soldier.

Silence. Then a soft shivering voice spoke.

“I could’ve finished him.”

Laughing slightly, Luna replied. “Aye, of that I had no doubt. But in that state of mind, you were almost killed.” She then turned her caring gaze into a stern one. “You and Vinyl have much to learn. Do you not know the difference between reality and an illusion?”

Rainbow hung her head in sorrow, before suddenly leaping to her hooves. “Vinyl! Where is she?”

“Out in the courtyard—” Before the princess could finish, Rainbow Dash took off, leaving the three in the dust.

Octavia, having been silent throughout the whole affair, stared at the screaming wretch that was Clock Stroke. His eyes bulged in terror, and he begged for mercy from unseen torturers. “Princess....what did you do to him?”

Luna grimaced, before proceeding. “I sent his mind into a realm of nightmares. Everypony and everybody he’s killed are torturing him. Having the ability to manipulate the dream world does have combat applications.” Luna then sighed. “Of course, I learned this skill when I was....under the influence of another.” A small cough and a weak laugh interrupted her.

“Y-you....are a bunch of foals.”

Luna looked down to see the dying Clock Strike, who was staring at the ceiling. “What do you mean, vermin?” Silence. “Speak before I deal you the same fate as your brother!”

Another weak laugh. “You don’t get it do you? We’ve won today. We got what we came for.”

Frowning, Octavia walked over to the bloody white mare. “What are you talking about? You’re about to die, and your brother’s as good as dead. You didn’t get me, and nopony else is here.”

“You were a side objective.” Clock Strike muttered, her voice now raspy. “The real purpose of us kidnapping you was as a diversion.”

“What are you talk—” Suddenly, Luna gasped. “The box!”

Strike laughed at the horrified look on the princess’s face. “We played you all for foals. While you were busy finding us, our leader snuck into your little study and stole away with the music box in tow. Soon....soon, this world will be ours.” She started to laugh softly, then louder, then even louder, until it was a maniacal sound echoing throughout the hall. “You’ve failed, Rector! You’ve not only failed the petty Assassins, not only your kingdom, but the world! You—”

Jackle reached down and placed his claw upon her neck, shutting her up. He looked down at her, a blank look upon his face. Then, he spoke.

Verrecken.”

With that, he pushed his claw down, crushing her throat, bone, flesh and all. The Templar let out a choking sound before finally falling silent forever.

Wiping his claw on his cloak, Jackle turned to the Rector. “So, what now? They have the box. What should we do?”

Luna gazed off at the screaming wretch of a stallion tortured in a nightmarish dream, then at Octavia. Her eyes suddenly flashed, now full of fiery determination. “We follow her dreams.”


The door opened, briefly shedding light into his office. He quickly cantered over to his desk, and placed his prize upon the desk. His breathing became erratic as he gazed at its beauty. Finally, after all this time, the box was theirs. Soon, the plan would be executed and all of Equestria…..no, all of the world, would be at his whim. A sickly yellow hoof reached out to touch the box’s surface, only to be stopped by a golden aura. He silently cursed, but quickly calmed down. Sitting down on his dark chair, he dimmed the lights in his office until the room was only lit by the glow of the artifact on his desk.

He smiled. The plan was going smoothly. Sure, the Clockwork Twins had failed to bring back the musician, but that was a minor setback. They had what they needed, for now at least. All that was left was to find a way to open the box, and unleash its magic upon the world. In the darkness, his neon red eye gleamed and his cat-like pupil glowed. A smile formed on his face.

All was going according to plan.

Author's Note:

So yeah! Your guest is the one and only JACKLEAPP! Before you flame me, I DID get permission from him to use his OC and stuff. He was real cool about it. If you don't know who JackleApp is, then look him up on YouTube. He's flipping awesome.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Again, if you have any requests, don't be afraid to comment or PM them! I do reserve the right to deny those requests, though.

Toodledoo!

Quillin Words