• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 3,283 Views, 57 Comments

The Night Of Days - Poodicus

  • ...
9
 57
 3,283

Chapter 1: The Night Of Days

Chapter 1: The Night Of Days

Capps and his men were sitting in the plane they were assigned to, getting ready for their mission. An hour or two had passed since they took off, making the men more and more nervous of the jump. They knew they couldn’t screw this up, thousands and thousands of men were counting on them to do it right. The roar of the engines was all Capps could hear from inside the plane, but he didn’t mind it. His men knew what to do and he knew he could count on them.

Another hour passed when the pilots of the plane noticed something strange. “Hey, are those mountains up ahead?” The co-pilot asked. “The hell are mountains doing here? Did we accidently take a wrong turn and go into Spain?”

“If we did, we sure as hell got there extremely fast. But it isn’t just us, look.” The pilot pointed out of the window as the other C-47’s were around them. “If we did screw up, then we aren’t the only ones to blame for it. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s too late to turn back. We’re at half on gas with this, we would barely get back if we’re lucky.”

Suddenly, a man’s voice came through the radio. “We are meeting heavy German resistance. We have AA all around us. I repeat-“ The pilots looked at each other, then decided it was time to turn on the light.

Back by the door of the plane, a red light appeared, signaling the men that they were getting close to their destination. Capps stood up and spoke to his men, as well as using sign language to get them to understand. “Get ready! Stand up!” He spoke out, and his men stood up, getting in one line. “Hook up!” They all attached a hook to a railing inside the plane, so when they jumped out, their parachutes would deploy right away. “Equipment check!” He yelled out as he tapped his shoulders. “Sound off for equipment check!” His men sounded off.

“10 okay!”

“9 okay!”

“8 okay!”

“7 okay!”

“6 okay!”

“5 okay!”

“4 okay!”

“3 okay!”

“2 okay!”

Finally it was Capps turn. “1 okay!”

As they finally sounded off, they’re plane began to meet heavy resistance. German Anti-Air and Flak began to explode all around them, causing them to lose their balance and some of them falling over.

Outside, other planes were being hit by the AA as they would start to go down. Capps was able to look outside for a second to see a C-47 get blown in half by a flak shell, causing the tail to drop off while the nose began to dive into the forest below. On the other side of them, another C-47 had gotten one of its engines hit by a 20mm, causing it to explode, burning everybody inside of it to death. As the plane was going down, you would be able to see soldiers trying to escape the flames by jumping out of the door, completely on fire themselves, falling to their deaths, just so they wouldn’t die in the fiery wreckage that had become of the plane seconds later.

“Jesus Christ, let’s go! Let’s go!” One of the soldiers inside the plane yelled out, the soldier named Henderson.

“Does that light look green to you!?” Another one yelled back, a soldier named Taylor.

“Fuck the light! I don’t want to die up here!” Henderson yelled back.

“Where the hell is the DZ?!” Danny called out.

Planes were continuing to get hit all around them as they were going down into the forest below. Finally, they had reached far enough that the pilots turned on the green light. “Alright! Let’s go!” Capps called out to his men. One by one they began to jump out of the door of the plane, their parachutes deploying right after they jumped out. Right below them was a town that they thought was just one of the towns of France. “Fuck.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minutes earlier, Twilight had gathered all the Elements of Harmony together on top of a hill so that they could watch the forest that night. The Elements, as they were called, were actually six mares, each representing a different Element of Harmony. There was Rarity, a white unicorn with purple mane and tail with three diamonds for her Cutie Mark, representing the Element of Generosity.

Next was Applejack, an orange earth pony with a blonde mane and tail, a Stetson hat on top of her head, and three red apples for her Cutie Mark. She represented the Element of Honesty.

Then there’s Pinkie Pie. A pink earth pony with cotton candy looking mane and tail, with three balloons as her Cutie Mark, two blue and one blue. She represented the Element of Laughter.

Rainbow Dash, she’s a cyan colored pegasus with a rainbow colored mane and tail, with a white cloud and a red, blue, and yellow lightning bolt coming out of that cloud for her Cutie Mark. She represents the Element of Loyalty.

Next is Fluttershy. With her yellow coat and pink mane and tail, she was accompanied with it with her three butterflies on her flank, that was her Cutie Mark. She represented the Element of Kindness.

Then finally came Twilight Sparkle. The purple mare with an even deeper colored purple mane and tail with a pink stripe in the middle of the mane and tail. On her flank was a pink six-jagged shaped star with five other white stars around it. She is the Element of Magic.

Together, the six make up the Elements of Harmony, a magic that can defeat any evil that wishes to threaten Equestria… Or so they thought…

As they were watching the forest, the one named Applejack started to yawn. “Ah’m sorry ya’ll, but Ah can’t stay up any later. I got ta get up early tomorrah to clear the southern acres with Big Macintosh.”

“Alright, we understand Applejack.” Twilight spoke. “Thanks for coming, I really appreciate it.”

“No problem sugarcube. Ah’m just glad that no evil is showin’ itself like Zecora predicted.”

“Same here, I’m starting to think that she was mis-“ But Twilight stopped as Rainbow interrupted her.

“Wait a minute Twilight, you hear that faint humming noise?”

The ponies stopped for a minute to listen, and sure enough, they could hear a faint humming noise coming from the forest. “What in Equestria is that awful noise?” Rarity asked.

“I don’t know Rarity, but whatever it is, it’s coming from Everfree Forest.” Twilight answered her friend.

“Y-You d-don’t think it’s p-parasprites again, d-do you?” Fluttershy asked in fear.

“Nah, it’s too big ta be somethin’ like a parasprite.” Applejack answered.

“I agree with AJ. Whatever it is, it’s huge. And it’s not just that, there’s tons of them.” Rainbow added.

Suddenly, the one named Pinkie looked at the forest and began to see explosions in the sky and yellowish whitish lines going up into the air, along with searchlights lighting up the sky. “Hooray! Somepony’s having a party! But why would they hold it in Everfree Forest? Wouldn’t it be dangerous there at night? Or ever?”

“I don’t think that’s a party Pinkie.” Twilight answered.

As they watched the explosions and lines of yellowish white go into the air, they began to see other things. They saw what looked like giant mechanical birds flying through the air, some of them on fire. “What in the hay are those things?” Rainbow asked.

“I don’t know Rainbow, I really don’t.” Twilight answered.

As the mechanical birds began to get closer, they could see what looked like white dome-shaped things coming out of them, falling into the forest. But it wasn’t just that, as more of whatever were making the explosions and lines seemed to get closer as well. Finally, the birds got so close that the entire town was now awake, and started to come outside to see what the commotion was.

As the ponies of Ponyville started to come out, one of the birds got hit by one of the lines being thrown upwards into the night sky, and exploded into a giant ball of fire. The bird started to rotate and come down at the same time, right towards the fields near the town. It finally hit the ground as it became an even larger explosion and destroyed part of the field it landed in.

The citizens of Ponyville began to panic as they started to run around, not knowing what to do. Some tried to put out the fire in the field from the bird that just landed, while others were running around just panicking. “Girls!” Twilight addressed the Elements. They all stood at attention of her. “We need to calm everypony down and make sure that everypony is safe, got that?”

“Right Twilight!” They all called out, and then began to scour around, trying to calm the civilians down.

As the girls began to run away, Twilight looked up at the sky once more, to see more birds right above of her, maybe a thousand feet in the sky. As they flew over, Twilight saw the same white domes that had been dropping into the forest, were now dropping into Ponyville. “Death and snow will rain down from the sky tonight…” Twilight repeated to herself, remembering the words from the letter she had gotten earlier that day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Fuck, not good, not good!” Capps repeated to himself as he was falling into the town. He had finally touched ground and with quick movement, started to take the parachute off and make sure all of his equipment was there. Luckily, nobody was around to see him, so he ended up getting his equipment and started to move right away, right into the shadows. As he ran into an alleyway, he looked up to see more soldiers falling into the town. “Damnit, why the hell did they drop us here!? Our DZ is miles away.” He began to look around to see if he could see any noticeable sightings. ‘This doesn’t look like Sainte-Marie-du-Mont at all. Where the hell are we?’ Suddenly, Capps began to hear voices.

“We need more help over here! Whatever is coming down, there were more this way!” Capps heard someone call out in English.

‘English? What the hell?’ As he heard footsteps get closer, he hit the ground and stayed in the darkness, waiting for the people to go by. He expected Germans, or French civilians, but what he saw surprised him. What had run by him were not humans, but horses, and not just regular horses, but horses who were multicolored and seemed to have markings on their flanks. ‘What the hell?’ But what happened next really shocked him.

“Come on! Over this way! I saw something drop over here!” The horse spoke! The horse really spoke! And it spoke English! Was Capps dead? Did they die in the air, and now he’s in some weird hell where they’re forcing him to do the mission in some weird horse universe?

Just then, as the horses ran by him, he heard a crack behind him. “Flash!” He called out in a whisper.

“Thunder.” A voice spoke back. A soldier of the 101st came running up into the alleyway, up next to Capps.

“What’s your name soldier?” Capps asked the man.

“Private Fred Sanders, C company.”

“Sergeant Major Michael Capps, D company. You have any idea where we are Fred?”

“No clue, I was hoping you had an idea.”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don’t think we’re in France.” Capps whispered back to Fred.

“What makes you say that?”

“Because either this is hell, or we’re in a world with multicolored speaking horses running around.” Fred looked at Capps like he was crazy. “Watch out the alleyway, wait for one to come by.” Not a moment later, another horse came by and started yelling out to some others about finding some more parachutes, but not finding what came with it.

“What the hell?”

“Same reaction I had. Now come on, we need to get out of here before they find us.” Capps got up and began to quickly move through the alleyway and through the backyards of the houses, while keeping in the shadows, with Fred right behind him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight began to run through town trying to calm the ponies down. The last of the birds had flown over and were heading south, hopefully to never come back. One more of the birds had crashed in the middle of the town, destroying some of the buildings, but luckily nopony was hurt as they all ran out of the buildings long before it crashed, but started a fire in the middle of town nevertheless.

As she was running through town, she could see ponies trying to put out the fire, using clouds and buckets full of water, trying to stop the fire from spreading. As she was running around, giving orders out to the various ponies, she had stopped one to ask him something. “Hey! Caramel!” She called out to the brownish colored pony.

The pony began to run up to Twilight and answered. “Yeah Twilight? What is it?”

“Have you seen what those things that have been coming down are?”

“No. Nopony has! Each time we go over to try to figure it out, there’s nothing there. From what we can gather, it’s some sort of cloth to help whatever was coming down to come down slowly.”

“Alright, thanks Caramel. If anypony finds out what’s dropping, come tell me right away. Also, check all the alleyways and any place that would be dark, in case the things dropping are hiding there. But don’t do it alone, take somepony along with you for backup.”

“Alright, will do Twilight!” Caramel then began to run off to tell the other ponies on what to do.

Meanwhile, while Twilight was running to tell other ponies to do the same as well, she stopped running for a second, catching something out the corner of her eye. As she turned to look, she saw what looked like a shadow of a mutated pony of sorts on its hind legs, bent over, running through the shadows. She knew she had to follow it, but as she looked around to see if anypony else was around, but nopony was. She ran after it.

As she ran after it through the alleyway, she saw the creature trying to keep in the shadows, obviously trying to hide itself. ‘What is that thing?’ Twilight thought to herself. ‘Is it harmful? Why is it here? How did it get here?’ There were so many questions running through Twilight’s head that she almost lost sight of the creature. ‘Horseapples!’ She began to run after it again, and as she was running, she accidently stepped on a branch from a fallen tree nearby, alerting the creature. She saw the creature quickly hit the ground and stayed quiet, as did she as she tried to stay as still as possible. Suddenly, she heard a click.

*click*

Was the creature trying to speak? Did it see Twilight and was trying to communicate with her? She hesitated to speak, but began to open her mouth, but was interrupted by the same clicking noise.

*click*

What was she suppose to do? Should she try imitating the same clicking noise? Again, she began to open her mouth, but was interrupted again by not one, but two clicks, farther away from the creature.

*click click*

As the clicking stopped, something happened that had surprised Twilight. “Private Quincy Henderson, D company.”

The creature speaks Equestrian!? How is that possible!? What in-‘ But Twilight’s thought was interrupted as she had seen two more of the same type of creatures run up to the one on the ground. As they ran up, they had passed a small bit of light, showing their faces. ‘What the hay? What are those things? They’re not ponies at all! Is that green bowl a part of their bodies as well?

“Henderson, good to see ya again.” Capps spoke out as he got next to his private.

“Cap’n? That really you?” Henderson asked back.

“Sure is soldier.” Capps replied, then pointed to Fred. “Private Fred Sanders, C company.”

“Good to meet ya Fred.” Henderson said quietly.

“Same.”

“Alright, what’s the situation Henderson?”

“I don’t know, I was sort of hoping for you to know Cap’n. All I know is that right before you replied, something behind me snapped a branch, so I hit the deck.”

“Is it still here?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t see anything move in front of me, and with me running around, I haven’t gotten a chance to see if it was a Kraut or not. At this point I’m guessing it’s not.”

“I can guarantee you what it is.” Capps replied to his soldier, who looked up at him.

“What Cap’n?”

“I’ll tell you later. First, we need to find the rest of our boys before they get captured. Come on.” Capps got Henderson off the ground and turned around, beginning to run in the same direction Henderson was earlier going.

“What about the thing behind us?”

“Let it follow, won’t do anything to us. If it tries attacking, we’ll kill it.” Capps replied to Henderson. Henderson only nodded and began to follow his CO along with the other private.

As the three began to run away, Twilight stayed back and thought to herself. ‘Kill me!? But I would never dream of attacking something… Should I follow anyways? It’s too late to get any of the girls…’ Finally, Twilight had decided that it would be best to follow the creatures and learn what they were up to, thinking she would be able to defend herself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour earlier, two Germans were drinking some coffee to keep themselves awake through the night, not all noticing the changes in scenery around them. “Ugh, your coffee always tastes like shit Josef.”

“I’m so glad you think so Hans, it’s the shit that makes it so delightful to drink.” Josef replied to his comrade with sarcasm.

“Enough of that, where is Dietrich and Jürgen? CP said it’s a possibility that the Allies will attack tonight.”

“They’re still out on patrol… Do you honestly think the Allies would be so stupid to attack at night? They’ve never done it before, why do it now?”

“To take us by surprise of course.”

“Yes, but even then, they would never do it after a storm.”

“Again, to take us by surprise.”

Suddenly, Dietrich and Jürgen had come running up to Hans and Josef from the forest, in a panic. “What’s the matter with you two?” Josef asked.

“T-The forest, it’s different.” Dietrich explained.

“Different? Different how?” Hans asked.

“W-We don’t know, our fortifications are all in the same places, but the entire forest is different. It’s not just that either.” Jürgen had answered.

“What do you mean Jürgen?” Hans asked again.

“Nobody is able to get a hold of CP, we went around from post to post, trying to see if anybody could contact them, but nobody could.” Dietrich answered this time, still tired of running back to the post he was stationed at.

“That’s preposterous, here, let me show you.” Josef picked up the mobile radio they had and began trying to get a hold of their Command Post, but to no avail. “What the hell?”

“I told you! Nobody is able to get a hold of CP!” Jürgen said again.

“Here, let me get a hold of the post nearest to Sainte-Marie-du-Mont and see if anybody can run there.” Josef explained. He began to get in contact with the post there and got through. “Hello? Hello? Is anyone there?”

“Hello?” A voice came back through the radio.

“Post #107, are you able to get in touch with CP at all?”

“Sorry, Post #249, you’re not the first to ask that. We haven’t been able to get in touch with CP for hours. We’re still trying to figure out what’s going, we’re wondering if it’s sabotage.”

“Alright Post #107, thanks for the update.” Josef hung the radio up and addressed the other three again. “They’re unable to get in touch with CP as well. They’re trying to figure out if it’s sabotage or not.”

“See, I told you.” Dietrich told Josef. “And it’s what Jürgen said. This place is completely different, as though we were on a different planet.”

“A different planet? Really?” Hans said with sarcasm in his voice. “You know how absurd that sounds?”

“Then what would you call it Hans? Nothing is the same as this morning, not ever since that fog rolled in.” Jürgen replied.

“I don’t know what I’d call it, but I don’t think-“ Hans was saying, but he was stopped as the noise of planes began to get closer. They all looked up to see in the distance, hundreds of planes headed their way. “Allied planes!” Hans yelled out, then ran over to the searchlights and turned them on. With the help of Dietrich, they were able to shine them upward into the air.

Meanwhile, Jürgen and Josef had gotten on the Flakvierling 38 and started to point it upwards, waiting for the Allied planes to get up above before firing.

Before the planes had gotten above them, a creature from the forest had lunged itself out at them. It was a large lion looking animal, with bat wings and a scorpion tail. “What the fuck is that thing!?” Hans yelled out as he got out his MP40 and began to fire at it. The animal dropped dead mere seconds after revealing itself to the humans, thinking it was an easy meal.

“What the fuck is that thing, a lion that had an orgy with scorpions?” Dietrich commented as he got closer to it.

“I don’t know what it is, but we can’t focus on it right now! Keep that searchlight on the Allies!” Josef called out as he began to use Flak 38 on the Allies above. With a loud constant banging noise, the Flak 38 began to fire at the planes above them, hitting one as it began to go down.

“Nice shot you two!”

“Shut up and let us keep firing!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an hour of the planes flying above them, The Germans had finally taken a break as they rested, but kept alert for any of the Allied soldiers who had fallen into the forest. Hans began to walk over to the animal to examine it closer and kicked it, making sure it was absolutely dead. “What do you think it is?” He asked as he examined it.

“I don’t know, but whatever it is, it’s vulnerable to bullets.” Jürgen commented as he began to light a cigarette. Josef knocked the cigarette out of his mouth. “What the fuck was that for Josef!?”

“Keep your voice down idiot!” Josef whispered to him in an angered tone. “Not only is it possible for more of whatever the fuck that thing is to be out there still-“ He said while pointing to the creature. “But don’t forget that there are also Allied soldiers who just dropped into the forest. So keep your mouth and shut and your eyes peeled.”

For the rest of the night, the German soldiers stayed at their post, not getting any more planes to shoot at, but heard the fighting of Germans and Allied soldiers in the air, throughout the forest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alright, decided to keep on continuing this story because people asked me to, glad I could convince you all. I’m sorry if there are some errors I’m getting about the history, but please don’t be angry, as this is meant for entertainment value, not historical value, though I will try to be as correct as possible. Just saying, don’t be surprised if I get something wrong, that’s all. Also, before any of you ask, yes, the beginning of this chapter is based on the opening of the second episode of ‘Band of Brothers’, the only show I can remember to almost put me in tears, so don’t ask. That is all, goodnight/good morning/good day.