• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 3,283 Views, 57 Comments

The Night Of Days - Poodicus

  • ...
9
 57
 3,283

Prologue: The Jump

The Night Of Days

Prologue: The Jump

It was the very early morning of June 5th, 1944. An American Sergeant Major, 6’ 2”, brown hair, wearing his uniform, was walking down to the mess hall when he heard someone call out for him. “Cap’n! Hey Cap’n.” The Sergeant turned around to face the person who was calling his name out.

“Danny, you know I’m not a Captain, I’m a Sergeant Major.” The Sergeant called out to the man only three years younger than him, a man about 5’ 11”, black hair, wearing his green uniform.

“Sorry sir.” The private known as Danny apologized as he came running up to the Sergeant Major. “But it’s just easy to call ya Cap’n cause of your name and all.”

“You mean you want to call me Captain Capps?” The Sergeant named Capps said while smirking.

“Well, it’s easier to remember than Sergeant Major.” Capps began to chuckle.

“You boys sure do love to mess with me, don’t ya?” Capps gave the private a smirk.

“Well, we’re brothers aren’t we?”

“We haven’t gone into battle yet Danny.” Capps responded to the young man.

“But we will tonight, right?”

“Don’t get too enthusiastic about jumping Danny. War is hell, remember that. As for if we’re jumping tonight, we’ll have to see if the higher-ups think it’s okay. For now, just go over your equipment, as well as the plan, it’s never bad to be too prepared.”

“Alright Cap’n will do.” Capps could only laugh at the boy’s enthusiasm.

“Come on, let’s go get breakfast while it’s still hot.” Capps wrapped his arm around Danny and the two began to walk to the mess hall together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other side of the English Channel, two soldiers of another country were having a similar discussion, eating their breakfast while they sat at their post. “Think they’ll do it today Josef?” A man in a grey uniform asked his companion.

“I don’t know Hans, but if they do, we’ll be ready for them.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In another world, in a country known as Equestria, a certain purple unicorn mare was waking up to the smell of breakfast as well. She knew nothing of the war going on on a different world, nor did she even know what war was. In the kingdom she lived in, there was never need for a war, as all races lived in harmony together. Yes, there may have been a few incidents where countries in her world have had heated debates, but they never fought over something so silly.

As she went down the stairs from her bedroom of her house, she saw a familiar purple baby dragon with green spikes coming out of his back. “Morning Spike.” She called out to her assistant. He looked up at her and smiled.

“Hey Twilight, nice hairdo.” He started to laugh as the unicorn slowly started to realize that she had forgotten to comb her mane as she woke up. She quickly went back upstairs to comb herself, then, after grooming herself and checking that everything was in order, came back down.

“Do I look better now Spike?”

Spike had stopped laughing and smiled at her. “Much better. Anyways, breakfast is ready.”

“I could tell. It smells delicious Spike.”

“Thanks, Owlowiscious helped me with some of it, didn’t you?” Spike turned to look at an owl with a red jewel-encrusted bowtie on, who was perched up on one of the bookcases, and hooted to the dragon. “You of course.” It hooted again. “You!” It hooted a third time. “You birdbrain!”

Twilight only giggled. “I think he’s saying ‘Yes Spike, I did help you’, not ‘Who’.”

“Oh…”

“So what is for breakfast?”

“It’s pancakes!” Spike said with a smile.

“Well they smell delicious, I can’t wait to try some.” Right as Twilight was sitting down, Spike had burped out some green flames, and with it, a letter. “A letter from Princess Celestia? Now?”

Spike grabbed the letter, unfolded it, and began to read it.

Dear Twilight Sparkle, my most faithful student. It has come to my attention that something strange is occurring around and in Everfree Forest. You’re friend Zecora the Zebra came by earlier, saying she was running from an evil mist. She did not explain why this mist was evil, but after looking at the forest, it has been entirely engulfed by it.

I sent some of my guards out to see what they could find, and they came back empty-hoofed. I do not know what is going on, but I trust your friend. If something is evil about that mist, and that tonight as Zecora explained, death and snow would rain from the skies over the forest. I wish for you to keep a close eye on it from Ponyville, as I and my team will also keep a watch on it from Canterlot. I have enough faith in you and your friends my pupil.

Signed, Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia.

“An evil mist? Well that sounds illogical. Mists aren’t sentient beings. And snow? It’s the beginning of June, there’s no way that it would ever snow, even over the Everfree Forest.”

“What about Pinkie Pie though? You said her Pinkie Sense didn’t make sense, and look what happened with that.”

“But that’s Pinkie Pie, anything can happen with her. Mists are totally different.”

“Alright Twilight, whatever you say…”

“I know what I’m doing Spike. After we eat breakfast, let’s go get the girls and tell them the situation.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sergeant Major Capps of the 101st Airborne and his men stood in formation as they waited for the news, late in the evening. One of the Generals in charge of the operation, Operation Neptune, stepped on top of some boxes and addressed the men. “Boys! You jump tonight!” The men began to cheer as the moment they were waiting for was finally coming. “Don’t get too cocky, just do what you need to do, and I’m sure I’ll see you all back here before Christmas.” The General smiled at the men as they cheered in an effort to boost morale amongst themselves. “For anyone who hasn’t signed a will yet, I suggest you go do that right now.” He pointed to some officers that had desks set up for the soldiers if they wanted to leave anything behind for their loved ones. “I know you boys won’t need it, but just in case, it would be nice to have something for your loved ones to remember you by.”

A few hours later, Capps and his men were in a C-47 plane, one of many, flying across the English Channel to their mission… A mission that would remembered by the world forever…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alright, Poodicus here to talk about this. Second try at a MLP:FiM/WW2 crossover fanfiction thingy. First try, I gave up on the first one for understandable reasons. This one will not have any dead ponies in it, I can promise you that much… That is unless the entire fanhood suddenly wants to see one, but I doubt that. Remember, this is only a prologue, I’ll keep it up for a while to see how well it’s received. If people like it, I’ll try to write more in-between writing my other two fics, if not, well then can’t say I tried. Until next time.