• Published 28th Feb 2013
  • 15,126 Views, 77 Comments

Ladies Don't Freak Out - paleowriter



Oneshot. Rarity panics when she thinks Spike has left Ponyville for good.

  • ...
16
 77
 15,126

Ladies Don't Freak Out

Ladies Don't Freak Out

Rarity flung her shop door open.

No. No. No no no no no no no no NO.

She tried as best as she could, but she just couldn’t hold her hooves back from running at a dead sprint towards Twilight’s library. Her feet pounded along Ponyville’s roads, and more than one head turned to stare. For once, Rarity couldn’t bring herself to spare a moment's care.

Spikey Wikey…moved back to Canterlot? Moved back without saying goodbye?

No.

She wouldn’t believe it. No matter what she’d overheard Rainbow Dash telling Mayor Mare this morning during their usual weather check-in in the town square.

“So I saw Twilight’s little dragon friend getting aboard the train this morning all by himself, with a big old suitcase. Any idea what that was all about?”

“Yeah, Princess Celestia invited him back to Canterlot. Said it was time he learned more from her about his dragon heritage or something. He seemed pretty upset that he would have to graduate from being Twilight’s assistant. But seriously, who’d want to be an assistant forever?”

Rarity shook her head in an attempt rid herself of the memory, and especially to rid herself of the cold shock that had coursed through her upon overhearing that conversation. But it was impossible to forget. Rarity’s mind raced faster than a roll of fabric unraveling down a hill, trying to make sense of it all. Princess Celestia…she took him away! How could she do that? All his friends are here now. Twilight’s here. I’m here! I…I’m here! How could he just leave?

Her breath hitched in her throat, causing her to stumble as she ran. He can’t leave. He just can’t. He has to come back. What will we do without him?

“Twilight!” Rarity cried, yanking open the library door dramatically. “Twilight, what happened? Where is he? Where’s Spike, and why didn’t he say goodbye?”

Twilight darted down the library stairs, nearly tripping over her own hooves. “What?! Rarity, what’s going on?”

“Spike!” Rarity exclaimed, shaking her friend by the shoulders. Tears flooded her eyes, making Twilight’s wobbly form swim in front of her. “He moved back to Canterlot, and nopony told me!”

Her friend managed to get out of her grip, stumbling backwards. “Rarity, what are you talking about?” Twilight said, magically pushing Rarity back from grabbing her again. “Spike’s just visiting Canterlot. He’s not moving there. Princess Celestia just wanted to meet with him and discuss the next stages of his career.”

“He’s…he’s…” Rarity trailed off, her mouth falling open slightly. She stopped all attempts to grab Twilight again. “He’s…not moving to Canterlot?” she asked, her voice far weaker than she preferred it being. He’s not moving? Spikey Wikey? He...didn't leave for good?

“No, he’s not moving to Canterlot,” Twilight repeated herself, using her magic to shelve a few books that Rarity had knocked over when she’d run in. Rarity did notice that the library was much less tidy than usual without Spike around. “I don’t know where you got that idea, but don’t worry. He’ll be back in a few days.”

Back in a few days. Relief washed through Rarity, from her horn to her hooves…but it was followed closely by a wave of crushing humiliation. “Oh.” Rarity straightened up, willing her face not to blush. “Well then.” Goodness, what a spectacle you’ve made of yourself. She coughed a bit and smoothed out a lock of her mane that had fallen loose.

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “You alright there?”

“Perfectly,” Rarity replied, her composure returned. “Whyever do you ask, darling?

Twilight stared at her. “Well…you sort of freaked out for a few good minutes.”

Rarity scoffed. “Twilight, you know completely well that ladies such as myself do not freak out,” she said, holding her head high. “I was just expressing my concern that a dear friend may have left without saying goodbye, is all.”

Twilight continued to stare, and Rarity continued to look down her nose at her, daring her friend to suggest anything else.

“So…” Twilight eventually said, after a long silence. “You wouldn’t mind then if I told Spike how…er…concerned you were?”

Rarity felt her face blanch a little. “Not at all.”

“If I told Spike how you came running in here, practically sobbing at the idea that he’d moved to a different town than you?” Twilight took a step forward, past a pile of books.

Rarity forced out a laugh. “Twilight, you make it sound like it’s odd for somepony to worry that a friend was moving away.”

Twilight leaned in a bit, narrowing her eyes. “And that’s it?”

“What?” Rarity blinked, as innocently as she could.

Twilight watched her for another moment. Then she shrugged. “Alright, then.” She turned to head back into the library.

“Er…right, then,” Rarity agreed. “I suppose I’d better head back to my shop.” Did I even shut my shop door? She winced inwardly.

“You do that,” Twilight said.

Rarity stood in the library doorway for another moment, her thoughts tumbling. “Uh…er…Twilight?” she finally asked.

“Yes, Rarity?” Twilight turned. Rarity didn’t like the knowing look she wore.

“Erm…about Spike,” Rarity began. Please…don’t actually tell him about this. “Please…don’t tell…er…”

Twilight’s smile was verging on smirk-status, and Rarity’s face flushed.

“That is…perhaps you could be a dear and let me know when he returns?” Rarity covered for herself.

“Don’t worry,” Twilight said. “I’ll let you know the moment he’s back. I wouldn’t want to keep you two apart, now, would I?” she added.

“Thank you, darling,” Rarity said, turning to leave and then stopping mid-step just outside the library door. “Wait…what do you mean…keep us two apart?” she asked shrewdly, glancing back at her friend.

It was Twilight’s turn to blink innocently.

They entered into their second staring contest.

Just what is she thinking? Rarity was desperate to know. And what does she think I’m thinking? And what is Spike going to think about all this? Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Rarity swallowed, doing her best not to let her nerves make her visibly shake.

Eventually, Twilight simply smiled once again. “Have a pleasant day, Rarity,” she said. Then she magically shut the library door, leaving Rarity outside with her own mess of confused thoughts.

Comments ( 77 )

Adorable.

This should be more than a one shot. Or at the very least get expanded on a bit. It makes it seem like Rarity doesn't know about Spikes feelings for her, but she can't be that dense.

Personally, I'd love to see another chapter or two after Spikes return, or in the lead up to it. Then again, I always want more of good stories.

Oh man that was funny. This feels like if it were stretched out more it could be an episode. At the very least this feels like it could be an animated short. :rainbowlaugh:

This was absolutely awesome for being this short. I loved it :twilightsmile:

static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/I+was+expecting+a+quot+You+like+krabby+patties+don+t+you+_20ab0ac30b975d5549a9ed42ce635a6d.jpeg

Have a pleasant day indeed...:ajsmug:

I always love how you write Rarity, and the tradition continues in this little bundle of adorable goodness.

This warrants a sequel. Please make it so.

A chuckle worthy story right here.:rainbowlaugh: How sweet of Rarity to be worried about Spike moving. :rainbowkiss:

The only way this could be better is if we saw what happened when Spike actually got home. Would Twi tell? Would Rarity tell thinking Twi did but she didn't? So many possibilities.

Well... was GONNA maybe write my first story about Spike moving back to Canterlot after finally gaining Rarity's feelings... But I guess now I'm not doing that idea, atleast not anytime soon... Oh well, nice fic. :twilightsmile:

:moustache: I like this. One day you should consider making this a longer piece.

I third the motion for expansion or sequel on this story:moustache:


2191603
Do it, Paleowriter at the moment seems to just want keep this as a one shot.
Even if he does expand it, still do it!
Go out there and go nuts with the feels!:pinkiecrazy::heart:

:raritystarry::heart::moustache: :twilightsmile:

Trollight Sparkle at work.

2191603 Go for it! I'd hate to know something I've written has stopped someone else from writing. :twilightsmile:

As far as the cries for "sequel", etc, go...

Who the hay knows. I've got my big multi-chapter fic "Of Age" to work on right now, so I restricted myself with this idea to just a one shot, but my head has it going all sorts of places. If I ever allow myself the time, I might write another scene or two from this short story. But I wouldn't hold your breath, because it might not happen. I have a lot of projects in the fire right now. We shall see. :raritywink:

And thanks to everyone who's commented, and favorited, and thumbs-up-ed-ed! It was a very exciting morning to wake up and see all the notifications. I was a bit flabbergasted, since I didn't expect much out of this little short brain explosion. But I'm glad it was well received! :moustache:

This was enormously entertaining. Thanks for writing it. Though I can't help but feel there's wasted potential here. The situation gives Rarity a fine opportunity to really spill her guts and tear her heart open in front of Twilight. It could've gone so much further, but it's understandable that you didn't have the time to run so far with it.

This. This is good. :eeyup:

this was THE BEST POSSIBLE THING!
Rarity is so cute when she's freaking out... for Spike! xDD

You should write more of these ya know, or maybe a secuel?

I don't know why but when you post a new story I fave it and give a thumb-up to it without even starting reading, of course I don't regret after I actually read it... guess why? YOU'RE JUST TOO AWESOME TO CARE. If you write something I'M SURE I will like :raritystarry:

Twilight is trolling pretty hard here, but she gets away with it because she's Twilightlicious. :twilightsmile:

Also, is Spike playing hard to get? Looks that way to me! :moustache:

lol thats awesome :moustache:

Short and so very sweet. Nice job.

I would have taken the freaking out a little further. Maybe having Rarity think about planning to go to Canterlot and take her Spikey Wikey back...
But then again, I am all about the laughs. This was still very cute and well written. And I feel curious about what happens next...

And then Rarity trotted up to Rainbow Dash and slapped her.

nice job! now i can do my english homework on this story!:twilightsmile:

This story leaves me with the strangest desire to squee or something. Awfully cute despite being so short.

You seem to be one of those authors that everything you write manages to grab my attention before I even notice who wrote it. I really ought to just finally start using the Follow function.

Nicely done. I also wouldn't mind seeing a continuation/sequel - but by all means, do deal with Of Age first! I can wait!

2194167

And Dash would be like "what was that for?" and it would be hilarious...

2194167>>2196714 I'm highly amused at this follow-up scenario you've come up with for Rarity and Dash. :raritydespair: :rainbowhuh: It's like the sequel to this one shot is writing itself through the comment section. :raritywink:

Magnificently entertaining! HILARIOUS, I do say!

:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
Have 5 mustaches, because stars are over-rated.:raritywink:

:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy: oh god this is RICH!!!
does Rarity love Spike or not?
does she like him or not?
because we all know how he feels about her:pinkiecrazy:

Hahahaha Rarity freaking out is the most hilarious thing i've ever read!:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Nice work on this, this is the good sort of one-shot, the kind where you're grinning at the end. If there is a sequel in the future, i will read it. For now, i'll just read some more of your work.

:raritycry::raritydespair: :facehoof::twilightsmile: :raritycry::raritystarry:

For some reason I read the title of the story title as, "Ladies, Don't Freak Out" and was expecting Rarity to say that at some point in the story. Then I got to the point where she did say that, but without the pause after the word "ladies."

Anyway, great little story. I very much enjoyed it! Poor Rarity!

I'm with everyone else...


SEQUEL....NOW!!!!! :flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

i also would enjoy to read a sequel :scootangel:

That's one way to see how much she care's, lol.:moustache::raritywink::twilightsmile:

short sweet and to the point. I would love a sequel for when spike does come home again :raritystarry::moustache:

Twilight is totally screwed if, when she develops a crush, Rarity finds out about it.

:) This was a really well-written short story. Maybe Twilight seemed a little too calm, but it IS Rarity. Loved how well you put us inside her head as she thought she lost little Spiky-Wikey. Then her conversation with Twilight, and trying to act normal. XD Loved it. Good work.

Brilliant short story!:raritywink::twilightsmile:

Awww, this was cute. Excellent short!

Spike's career? You mean he is going to get a promotion? What's the next career move, co-librarian?

this made me :twilightsmile::moustache:

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

This is cheesy but...

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: out of :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Adorable!:twilightsmile:
Rarity approves!:raritywink:

SHL

Cute and good ^^

Her feet pounded along Ponyville’s roads,

Her feet? You mean hooves?

Ha Ha love it. I can imagine Twilight smug look at this :twilightsmile:

I loved it. I can see Rarity doing something like this, and having to put up with Twilight smugly taking little digs at her as a result. You do amazing things with only 1000 words.

This was amazing. You kept everyone 100% in character and told a smart and enjoyable story doing so. Instant fav and like.
:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment