• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 4,766 Views, 286 Comments

Pieces of a Grey Cloud - darf



A series of moments from Derpy's life.

  • ...
26
 286
 4,766

Waking Up

Derpy doesn’t want to get up. Her stomach feels funny and the clouds feel warm and she knows that if she lies down she can go back to sleep and her tummy will feel better and when she closes her eyes she’ll have nice things behind them.

Derpy gets up. She feels scratchy and dirty and she knows she needs to take a shower and there’s things on the floor that she should have cleaned up a week ago. Derpy looks in the mirror for a second and her hair is a mess. She doesn’t have a brush. Derpy goes to the shower and the water feels warm and she wants to go back to sleep. She closes her eyes and thinks about clouds and flying away and sunshine and her wings and holding a bundle of warm things up against her chest and how loud she can hear her heartbeat in her own ears and she flaps her wings and water flies off them like a sprinkler and she smiles a little bit.

Derpy tries three times to turn off the shower but her hoof misses the thing to make the water go away. She closes one eye and tries again and she gets it, but she thinks she could see it fine anyway. She can’t be sure. Derpy is cold when the water stops and her stomach feels funny again and her eyes are still wet. Derpy looks in the mirror. She looks sad, and then her eyes get big and she doesn’t want to look anymore. She shakes her head and her hair gets water everywhere but it doesn’t matter because nothing there doesn’t want to get wet. It’s already wet, and Derpy is wet too, but she dries herself off. She wants to go back to bed.

Derpy sits down and looks at the clock. It says that it’s time to go to work, but she only knows it says that because Derpy hears the clock too fast, so Derpy knows it’s really not time to go to work yet.

She sits for a little bit and closes her eyes and thinks about fluffy things, and for some reason that makes her tummy hurt, so she stops. She opens her eyes and it’s really time to go to work. She closes her eyes.

She leaves for work five minutes late, but she knows that’s okay because she’ll make it there on time.

When she closes the door she checks her mailbox, but she doesn’t find any letters. She thinks the metal door on the mailbox sounds grumpy when she closes it. It looks a little bit like a frowny face.

The frowny face makes Derpy’s tummy hurt. She tries to ignore it. She flaps her wings and goes to work. It’s a long way away.