• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 979 Views, 135 Comments

Unlikely Heroes - Raptor



Six of you, unlikely heroes, will be chosen to fulfill a prophecy, and may ultimately save Equestria... or destroy it.

  • ...
1
 135
 979

Act I: Prologue

Day III
Canterlot Quarries, Canterlot, Equestria
Dusk

Silver Mine did what he did best when worried about something-- he worked. He swung his pickaxe with strength and precision, hitting the same mark with each swing, effectively taking away chunks of the rockface in little time. When he got a good chunk off, he paused to regain his energy, wiped the sweat off his brow, and looked at the other workers in the vacinity.

All the big, strong, tough ones put all their strength in every swing, taking away small chunks every time. However, their swings were slow and inconsistent, effectively tiring them out and making little overall progress. The smaller, less strong ones were making swift, accurate, little strikes with their picks, taking away little bits at a time. While they conserved their energy, their lack of effort simply didn't make enough progress. Silver shook his head and rolled his eyes to himself.

Accuracy or strength. Why not both? He thought to himself, as if it was the easiest thing in the world. He continued his balanced strategy, making more progress in his sector of the quarry than any other three combined. After a while of working, he noticed the shadow of a pony cast over where he was working. He turned around to see Golden Quill, a middle-aged male unicorn with a rusty-gold coat and a slightly desaturated brown mane. He looked at Silver's progress and smiled.

"Well done, lad," he said cheerfully. "You never disappoint me. Good work."

Silver nodded and smiled back. "Thank you, sir."

Quill waved his hoof dismissively. "Oh, Mr. Mine, please. If you must use formalities, please refrain from using sir. Just call me Mr. Quill." Silver admired Golden Quill. He represented all good things in a pony. Understanding, flexible, sincere, kind, generous, and above all else, he treated everypony as equals. He represented the good things all ponies needed to be during these times. He represented hope. He turned to the rest of the workers and called out: "Take five, everypony!" There were some relieved sighs and grunts of appreciation, followed by faint idle chit-chat. He turned back to Silver. "Oh, yes, I almost forgot. These letters came for you, listed as 'highly urgent'." He pulled out a pile of letters bound together out of his satchel and held them out to Silver. Silver narrowed his eyes briefly in confusion and curiosity, then took the letters. They had no titles, just numbers and an adress-- Silver's work.

"Who are they from?" he asked.

Golden shrugged, his smile now gone. "Anonymous. The messenger said they were supposed to be 'the returned rally forms'." Silver's eyes snapped to Quill's. "He said the recipient would know what it means. Do you, per chance?" Silver nodded slowly and looked down at the bundle of letters. "He also said that more could quite possibly be on the way. I'll let you know if I receive any more." Silver remained there, staring at the letters blankly. "Are you alright, lad?"

Silver looked back up to Quill, who was wearing an expression of concern. Silver nodded. "I'm fine. Would it be too much trouble for me to take the rest of the day off?" he asked.

Quill looked off to the side with a frown. "It shouldn't be that much of a problem. We're almost done for the day anyway."

Silver nodded. "Good. Because I need to look over these for a few hours. You'll be sure to forward these to the inn I'm staying in, should more arrive?" Quill nodded with an understanding smile. Silver nodded back. "Alright. Thanks."

"No problem, lad. Will you be in tomorrow?"

"Hopefully."

"Well, see you tomorrow then, hopefully!" He trotted off with a wave. Silver looked down at the bundle in his hoof. He sighed, rammed his pickaxe in the ground, picked up his saddlebags, and walked off.

Dragons, he thought to himself. Who could possibly be crazy enough to think they could stand against dragons? He sighed. He would have to pick the most elite, fearless, battle-worn soldiers ponykind had ever laid-

"Silver Mine."

Silver froze. He turned to where the deep voice had come from, and his eyes widened. Standing a good five paces away from him was none other than the legendary Star Swirl the Bearded. The old mage glared at the Earth pony with a look of deep seriousness. His eyes were shadowed by the long brim of his hat, darkening his face, yet still allowing his golden eyes to glow unnaturally. Silver said nothing. He just furrowed his brow.

"Listen to me, boy," the timeless wizard said. "I know who you think would be best for this mission- but I must advise you... you are incorrect." Silver remained silent. How had he known of the mission? How did he know what he was thinking? "I am not reading your mind, boy," he answered, as if reading his mind. "But I do know what you are thinking."

Silver remained silent for a little while longer. His eyes narrowed. "How do you know who I am?" he asked. Star Swirl opened his mouth to reply- "More importantly, how do you know what I'm dealing with?" The wizard closed his mouth and darkened his gaze, lowering his head slightly.

"What you are dealing with is severely important, as I'm sure you know already," he replied, ignoring the question. "That bundle of applications you have received," he nodded to the letters, "must be looked at with wise prejudice."

"What kind of prejudice?"

"The kind I'm about to give you." The wizard sighed and closed his eyes. "Soldiers alone will not win your war. You need morale, strategy, familiarity, perception, innovation, devotion, and above all else, cooperation." He looked back up at the miner. "When you choose your heroes, don't pick the best of the best. Pick the most unlikely. Pick the different. The odd ones out. Pick the outcasts."

Silver looked down at the letters in his hoof. "Outcasts..." he repeated. He heard Star Swirl approach him, and he looked up. The wizard's gaze was less hardened now, and more sincere.

"I understand what you're going through, boy," he said softly, placing a hoof on Silver's shoulder. "Making difficult decisions is... troubling. But I trust you will make the best choices." He looked directly into Silver's eyes, staring straight into his very mind. "You're more wise and clever than you give yourself credit for, boy. If it's any consolation, I believe in you." He took his hoof off of the miner and backed up a step. "I think you should, too." His eyes wandered to a particular bulge in Silver's saddlebag and he smiled. "I know he does." With that, his form vanished. Not in a spark like a teleport, or a fade like invisibility, but like a wipe away from existence.

Silver stood there, looking to where the notorious mage once stood. He then looked at the bulge Star had referred to, and opened the bag. There, nestled among his things, was a glowing red orb.
He's right, you know.


Day III
Canterlot Castle, Canterlot, Equestria
Dusk

Star Swirl canceled the spell, allowing his consciousness to return to his bedroom in Canterlot Castle. The old mage sighed. A knock came from his door. "Enter," he said. A royal guard cracked the door open and poked his head in.

"Are you alright, sir?" he asked. "I heard you talking. Is someone here?" He started to look around the room, but saw no one.

"No, I'm fine. No one else is here." The mage sighed and turned to his desk, which was littered with scrolls, flasks, bottles, and other magical items. "I will be departing shortly. I will be gone for a few days. how long exactly, I'm not sure. Please inform the princess of my departure, and let her know that I am at her beck and call, should she require my assistance."

The guard nodded. "Of course, sir." He paused, as he watched Star Swirl levitate things into his bags. "Does this have to do with the dragon issue?"

"It does. Please apologize to her on my behalf that I cannot protect her, and ask her to trust my judgment on the matter."

The guard's mouth curved upward slightly. "I think she already does, but I will, sir." The wizard nodded to him without looking, and the guard closed the door.

Author's Note:

Silver DID in fact receive more applications forwarded from Golden Quill. They did not disappoint.
I have all the characters I need. Thank you all!
The story will begin soon.