• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 979 Views, 135 Comments

Unlikely Heroes - Raptor



Six of you, unlikely heroes, will be chosen to fulfill a prophecy, and may ultimately save Equestria... or destroy it.

  • ...
1
 135
 979

A Journey Lost to Time

Many Centuries Later
School of Friendship, Ponyville, Equestria
Fourth Stage of Setting Sun

The late afternoon sun shined through the windows of the quietened hallway. No longer bustling with students, only the trotting of a single set of hooves echoed across the floor. The pink-coated mare smiled a bit as she glanced out the passing windows. It had been a long day, but a productive one, and she was just about ready to go home.

Until, that is, she heard murmuring coming from the door to the library on her right. She stopped, raised a brow and walked over, unable to ignore her curiosity. She stuck her head through and looked around. It was mostly empty, except for one table with piles of books, papers and scrolls covering the face of it. Sitting there was an orange and white stallion in a blue cloak, frantically scanning through the documents as he muttered to himself, occasionally adjusting his glasses or brushing aside his unkempt rust-colored mane.

The mare tilted her head at him curiously. "Sunburst?" She called over.

The stallion perked up from his papers, somewhat startled, and looked over at her. "Oh! H-hi, Starlight."

Starlight fully walked through the door, approaching him with a raised brow. "What are you still doing here? I thought you went home already." She glanced over the books and papers as she approached. A lot of them seemed to be very old documents.

"Oh, well, I... I did, but only to grab something. I came back here for some of the library's references." Sunburst resumed sifting through the papers, lifting several documents with his levitation, letting them hang in the air as he searched feverishly.

Starlight glanced up at the hovering documents, then looked back at him. "What are you doing?"

"Well, it's... kind of hard to explain," he said a bit quickly. Only now did Starlight realize he wasn't just in some deep delve of studying, he had a troubled look in his eyes.

Starlight stepped closer and looked more carefully at some of the documents. Her eyes widened. "These are from the Canterlot archives..." she said.

He nodded. "The old Canterlot archives." He looked at her, hovering several documents and books in front of him, causing her to take a step back just to avoid having them pressed in her face. "These ancient records were uncovered during the reconstruction of Canterlot castle! Centuries of records, notes, and stories from before the rule of the two sisters."

Starlight smiled, eagerly taking a closer look at some of the documents, looking them over. "That's incredible! So much of Equestria's history..." She paused, noting Sunburst's expression. He was back to looking down at some other documents with that troubled look again. "You... don't seem too excited about it, though."

He sighed, glancing away. "I-I am, it's amazing being able to discover all these records, and-and I'm honored that Princess Twilight would think that my skills would be suited for organizing them and adding them to the current archives."

"So what's wrong?" Starlight walked over to his side with a concerned expression, and he looked at her. A book hovered between them, old and bound by leather. On the cover was an emblem of a quill with a trail of fire circling it.

"This is what's wrong! This is one of the missing journals of Quill the Scribe, and..." He opened the book, revealing multiple pages of detailed notes and sketches, and at the end... several pages were missing, and the back half of the cover had decayed away. "...Most of it was lost."

Starlight frowned, looking down at the old book. "What happened...?"

He shook his head. "We don't know. Maybe the preservation magic placed on it all those years ago failed, or maybe it was damaged in some way before we even found it." He pointed at what wasn't destroyed. "This is what was left after we had someone magically restore it to its original condition. But it's just too old, or... the damage was too much." He looked at the book and sighed.

Starlight's horn glowed as she carefully turned to a few pages before the destroyed section. She quickly skimmed through it, and her eyes widened. "The... 'dragon threat'...?" she read aloud. "Canterlot was under threat of dragons?"

Sunburst nodded, adjusting his glasses. "Oh, yes. There were legends of this event, but only these records have really given us the details on what really happened. The dragons threatened to burn Canterlot, and as far as we know, Quill the Scribe left with six heroes to travel to the Dragonlands to resolve the issue." His ears flattened against his head as his expression fell saddened. "But... He was the only one who could have recorded what actually happened. He wrote briefly about each of the heroes he met, and the days before they left Canterlot..." His horn lit up and the pages flipped to where they were no longer legible. "But... that's where it ends. There's no other written record of their journey."

"There were no copies made?"

"None that we could find. We could only restore so much of the old archives, and given how long ago it was... If there were any copies made, the archives would have been the only place that could have preserved them." He sadly looked at the journal again. "This was it." He sighed, dropping his head on the table. "We'll never know what happened to them... What they encountered in their travels, the trials they had to overcome, or what they managed to accomplish... Everything they did, just... gone." He stared blankly ahead at the candle inches from his muzzle.

Starlight lifted a hoof to his back, patting him as reassuringly as she could, unable to do much more than look down at him sadly. She glanced over at the journal, thinking a moment. "Well... not necessarily, right...?" she offered, tilting her head at him. His eyes flicked up to her. "I mean... Whatever they did, they... succeeded." She removed her hoof, taking a step back to look at the table and levitate one of the documents. "Many of these records talk about how Canterlot was safe once again... and Quill's journal may not be intact, but it did make it back to the archives." She gave Sunburst a smirk and a raised brow. "Plus, Canterlot's still standing, isn't it? Pretty sure we would've known if the dragons went through with their threat way back then."

Sunburst lifted his head, adjusting his glasses and looking at her. "I guess, but... we'll never know how they succeeded. What they had to do to achieve their victory..."

Starlight glanced away. "Well, no, but... we know they did what they had to, to protect their home." She looked at him with a reassuring smile. "They could have gone through anything, and... they knew that before they left Canterlot." She pointed to the journal. "Before they knew they'd win. No matter whatever it was they went through, they won. Maybe knowing that much is... enough?"

Sunburst sighed, closing his eyes. "I get what you're saying, and... maybe." He looked up at her with a small smile. "And I-I appreciate you trying to make me feel better, but it's still a shame that we have no other records of what might've happened or... who these heroes really were."

Starlight tapped her chin with her hoof, then glanced over at some of the loose documents on the table. She levitated them over and sifted through them, scanning the words. Then, she paused, raising a brow. "Maybe we don't need other records..." She looked at Sunburst as a smile crept over her face. "Maybe we need other heroes."


Many Centuries Later
Starswirl's Temporary Study, Ponyville, Equestria
Fifth Stage of Setting Sun

"It is fortunate that I happened to be in town," the old, grey wizard mused, stroking his silver beard. He stared at the half-destroyed journal laid out on the table before him. "Though the misfortune of losing records as extensive as Mr. Quill's is... a tragedy." The dim light of the setting sun through the windows barely illuminated the pages, prompting him to ignite his horn and light a candle on the table. The room was put into a more pleasing light, shining across the books and papers stacked neatly across shelves and desks in the admittedly small study. He looked up at Starlight and Sunburst, standing at the other side of the table, saddlebags full of notes and books.

"There's no doubt about that," Starlight said, pulling out a paper and glancing it over. "But at least you had the fortune of being there, right?" She turned the paper toward him. "You were Princess Platinum's Court Wizard. You were there for the dragon threat."

"Indeed, I was..." Starswirl got a distant look, glancing out the window for a moment, stroking his beard again.

Sunburst and Starlight exchanged glances, until the former spoke up. "We were hoping you... might have some insight on what actually happened. To... fill in the blanks."

The wizard nodded. "I would be happy to share what I know..." He sighed. "But, regrettably, I do not know much more about their journey than you." Sunburst sighed, hanging his head low. Starlight glanced at him, then looked at Starswirl.

"Where were you, then," she asked, "when they went off on the journey? Why didn't you go with them?"

"I knew of the mission," the wizard said, walking over to the wall opposite of the window, "and that a team was being gathered. I was in charge of the contingency. I sought out the means to protect Canterlot from a potential dragon attack." His horn ignited again, and another candle on a nearby shelf lit up. "Specifically, sources of arcane power that could be used to conjure a barrier around the city, or to create a portal that could evacuate the city's inhabitants."

Starlight sighed. "I guess with a threat that large, it would make sense to have a backup plan like that."

"Did you end up finding them?" Sunburst cut in, taking a step closer to Starswirl. "Did you need to use the contingency? What were the arcane relics? Are they still-" He was interrupted by Starlight pulling back on him with her hoof, staring at him blankly. He gave her a sheepish grin and cleared his throat. "Sorry."

Starswirl smiled, turning back to them and walking over. "Thanks to one of my pupils, Clover the Clever," he paused to give a wry smile, "who followed me, despite my directions not to - I did manage to find a suitable conduit of magical energy, but only the one. I returned to Canterlot with only a day to spare, planning on making preparations to evacuate the city. However, when I returned, the citizens were rejoicing. The dragons had rescinded their threat."

"But why?" Starlight asked.

The old wizard stroked his beard again. "From what I understand, the Dragon Lord was deposed. The heroes did exactly what they set out to do - they traveled to the Dragonlands, and managed to force a truce." He sighed. "Sadly... any details on how would have been written by Quill the Scribe." He gestured to the destroyed journal.

Sunburst's ears lowered. "But-but, surely you must have heard something about them o-or what they did!"

The old stallion lowered his head slightly, closing his eyes. "You must understand... I was not a social fellow back then. I rarely wasted my time in revelry, listening to romanticized tales around a fire, or sharing a drink with a renowned hero." He turned away, walking back to the opposite side of the table. "It took trapping myself in Limbo for over a thousand years, and awaking in this strange new world to finally begin learning about friendship." Starlight and Sunburst looked at each other, disappointment clear in their expressions. "...However," the old wizard continued, stroking his beard. "I did get to know the heroes themselves, a little, and a few of their exploits... if by proxy."

Sunburst's eyes lit up and he grinned, eager to hear more, while Starlight raised a brow. "By 'proxy'...?" she repeated.

Starswirl nodded, staring off into space. "I met with the stallion that gathered them all - a miner, by the name of Silver. Through him, I learned about the seven ponies who would set off on the journey." His horn lit up, and a shimmering mist appeared in the air beside the table. A pink unicorn mare formed in the mist, smiling down at them. Her purple mane was pinned up and held back by a small tiara. Sunburst's eyes widened as he quickly levitated a notebook and quill out of his bag, already taking notes.

"Melody Roseshine," Starswirl said, looking up at the image. "A young mare with an unmatched talent for making ponies happy through her song. Her joy and optimism kept the group happy and motivated in the darkest times, always making the best of the worst situations. She regularly sang for Princess Platinum herself, and always brought the mood up in the palace when she was around." The image shifted to depict a much older stallion, an earth pony with a strong stature. His coat was grey, his short mane red and yellow. He wore a set of armor with a glowing amulet around his neck.

"Oathbound. A former captain of the royal guard, retired after a misfortune with protecting the princess. He was a loyal stallion, fully devoted to the protection of those around him, but was also a keen strategist. No doubt his wit, training, and sheer willpower helped see the heroes through to the end... despite the grave injuries he returned with." The two other unicorns exchanged curious glances, then looked back as the image shifted once again, this time into a pegasus mare. She had a deep blue coat as dark as night and a wavy green mane and tail that flowed behind her.

"Aurora Dancer... This one, I took an interest in because of a unique way she could harness magic. She was the only known pegasus able to touch and manipulate the aurora borealis. Apparently, with her familiarity of the lights, she was able to help traverse the northern mountains through any fog or storm by illuminating their path." He began stroking his beard. "I heard there were other ways she could use the aurora... dangerous ways, that she refused to resort to." He glanced at the other ponies, who wore curious expressions and continued to stare with unwavering focus. Starswirl hummed. "But that is as much as I heard. I wanted to seek her out for my personal study of the arcane, but could not find her. I believe she merely wanted to go back home and reflect on her powers in solitude, which, I certainly have no room to comment on." He cleared his throat. "Apologies. Moving on." The mist shimmered and shifted to show a navy blue unicorn mare with a meek expression. Her short grey mane was combed to the side and she had an old phoenix plush by her side.

"Carina was an artist - a rather sheltered individual, mostly keeping to herself and her work with sketches and paintings. She was timid, but her willingness to go out on this mission with complete strangers speaks volumes of her true bravery. She had an eye for detail, and a clever way of seeing the world that I think the others might have missed." The image twisted into a pegasus stallion with a copper coat and a red mane. He wore a chest rig that carried a variety of tools and a thick glove on one hoof.

"Bronze Feather... a tinkerer - an inventor, of sorts. He traveled the country selling his inventions, ranging from telescopes to music boxes. He had a knack for finding inspiration anywhere, and applying clever innovation to any problem that came before him. No matter the struggles, he could always come up with a solution, given enough time, and perhaps some helpful insight from his friends." The image shifted from the lankier stallion to one of a more stout build, with a dark brown coat and a messy, slightly singed blonde mane.

"Coal Scorcher. He ran a smelting business... he was a hardworking stallion with a somewhat gruff attitude, but seemed loyal enough to his friends, after he got to know them. From what I understand, his family was killed by a dragon, and he always resented dragonkind for it. He was devoted to the cause - perhaps with a vengeful heart at first, but seemed to warm up to the group. He helped keep them warm and fed on their travels - tended to them like kindling a fire. I am unsure if he truly got the vengeance he thought he wanted, but... he at least seemed... at peace, with the outcome." The image finally shifted into the form of a red unicorn stallion, mane swept back and colored like fire, a cloak and saddlebags over his back as a quill hovered around him.

"And, finally... Quill the Scribe. You seem to be familiar with some of his other journals, so I don't have to tell you much about him. I knew him better than the others, given that he was the royal scribe. I know he was desperate to get out, and chronicling this journey brought him much excitement. And, from what I understand, he played quite a crucial role in getting the group to cooperate when times were dire." Starswirl shook his head, the image dissipating back into mist. "I am truly sorry I cannot recall anything more specific, but I hope this gave some insight on the heroes themselves."

Starlight was staring at him with a raised brow. "Apart from... a couple of them, those... don't really sound like the 'hero' kind of ponies I was expecting..." she said plainly. The two stallions looked at her and she quickly glanced between them. "N-not to say they weren't brave, or... to discredit everything they did, of course!" she quickly added with a small, nervous chuckle.

Starswirl smiled, lifting his head slightly. "Quite the contrary. You're right, compared to a group of heroes such as the pillars, they do not seem like heroes of legend. However, perhaps that only makes their success more impressive, and more... profound."

Starlight smiled, looking down and away as a familiar thought came across her mind. "You're right about that..." She then looked back up, her expression shifting back to an inquisitive one. "But why were they of all ponies chosen?"

Starswirl smiled again. "They may have been mostly ordinary ponies, but there was something distinct about them - they were the ones to step up to the challenge. They were gathered together, but not before something in their hearts told each of them that something had to be done... and each of them, despite their own troubles and hesitations, had the will to actually do it." He hummed a quiet chuckle. "In truth... they are testaments to the idea that anyone could have been the heroes described in this journal." He gestured to the book in question. "All one would need is the will and unity of these seven misfits."

A silence hung in the air for the moment as Starlight nodded slowly, thinking about that and smiling. The candlelight flickered across the old pages as the afternoon sunlight slowly sank to a firey twilight.

Sunburst furrowed his brow, then carefully levitated the book and turned it toward himself, flipping through the pages. "And... what about this... 'Silver' you mentioned? His name doesn't appear in the journal... or any of the records."

Starswirl glanced away for a moment, staring out the window deep in thought. "...Yes. Curious, isn't it...?"

The two other unicorns exchanged glances for a moment before looking back at the wizard. "Who was he...?" Starlight asked.

Starswirl continued to stare. "...I am not certain," he said quietly, then eventually looked at them. "He seemed like a simple stallion, with a simple job, and yet, he had a very keen mind. As I said, he was the one who gathered all the heroes together for the mission in the first place."

"Like Stygian?" Sunburst said, lifting his quill from his notes. "How he gathered the Pillars together and planned everything?"

The old wizard stroked his beard with a hum and a distant look. "Hmm. No. Stygian sought us out because of our skills. But he... He sent out a call for help. And those seven were the ones who answered."

"Why wasn't he mentioned if he sent out the call?" Starlight asked.

Starswirl continued to stroke his beard, his eyes narrowing further as his mind raced. "There was something... peculiar about him. Something he carried. An entity, not of this world, but anchored to it. Trapped." He looked at them. "I believe, from the magical bond I could sense from them in my brief interactions, that Silver was the anchor."

"Woah, woah, woah, hold on!" Starlight exclaimed, waving her hoof vigorously. "There were otherworldly beings involved in this?!"

"Peripherally."

Starlight groaned. "Why didn't you lead with that?"

Starswirl looked down at the journal. "Because I believe Silver wished to not be remembered for this event." Sunburst paused his furious note-taking and looked up. "Perhaps he wished for the tale to focus on the heroes he gathered, not the fact that he gathered them. After all, as seen with your reaction, don't you think ponies would focus more on an alien entity than the heroism that arrived from their own people?" Starlight opened her mouth to respond, but her gaze fell as she thought about it.

Sunburst's gaze also fell as he nodded. "I-it makes sense that he'd want to hide the entity, I suppose." He looked at the journal. "He used... whatever it was he could do to get seemingly ordinary ponies to show their bravery. To get ponykind to stand up for themselves. I-I mean, there's probably a lot more at work here that... sadly, none of us will ever know, but... Sounds like he wanted this to be about the ponies and their newfound unity." Starswirl nodded with a smile. Starlight nodded slowly as well, also looking at the journal. Sunburst sighed, closing his notebook. "Still... would have been nice to know the details. B-but thank you for everything. This will help fill in as many gaps as we can."

Starswirl hummed. "I am happy to help." He then sighed, turning and walking over to the window. "If only I had known the magic of friendship all those years ago..." he murmured quietly. "Perhaps I could have gotten to know them all a bit better..."

Starlight trotted up beside him, also looking out the window for a moment. She then looked up at him. "And Silver? What do you think happened to him?"

The wizard smiled faintly, watching the sunset. "I haven't the slightest idea."


Day XXIV
Canterlot, Equestria
Dusk

The evening sunlight shined across the rooftops, peeking between them into the city square, illuminating the colorful banners and streamers strung up from building to building. For miles around, one could hear the music, laughter and cheer of the ponies' celebration. Unicorn, Earth pony and Pegasus alike, the enormous crowd was filled with joy, dancing, eating, and singing.

A grey-coated stallion stood on a terrace overlooking the square with a distant expression. Today was the day this whole city was meant to be consumed by dragonfire. And yet, here it was - the city of Canterlot and its people stood proud in the setting sun, feasting and partying over their saviors. The three races of ponies laughing and embracing each other as one - something they learned to do long before, but were once again reassured in their unity. All thanks to a few unlikely ponies who wanted to step up and do what needed to be done.

Silver held a calm smile on his face. It was a long journey, and there were many times when all hope seemed lost... but those seven beautiful souls managed to show him the way and pull it off. Together.

"I thought I'd find you skulking by your lonesome somewhere," came a playful voice. Silver glanced to his side, spotting the pink and yellow mare trotting up to him with a small smile.

Silver gave her a smile and nodded. "Hey, Jun."

"You really should join them," she said in a more sincere tone, glancing at the crowd. Silver also looked, spotting the seven heroes among the sea of celebrants.

Melody, of course, was leaping around, singing her heart out for everyone. Her sheer joy radiated among the crowd, surrounded by ponies grinning, laughing, and singing along. Aurora danced alongside her, seeming to free herself of all trepidation and just enjoying the moment. She spun around Melody as she sang, and they both laughed for a moment.

Oathbound was having a nice drink with Coal and Bronze, raising their tankards before downing the drinks. They all held looks of... peace and resolution. Whether finding contentment in upholding their duties or finding closure in old wounds, the three stallions held smiles that would last a very long time.

Quill, surrounded by scrolls and books, was enthusiastically spinning tales of their adventures to a crowd of ponies, levitating his quill - still dripping with ink - around for emphasis. His pink-coated fiancee, Ixia, sat beside him, shaking her head at his antics. She looked at him with a fondness - perhaps still frustrated with him running off, but for now just simply glad to have him back home safe.

Standing nearby in front of an easel was Carina, looking a bit shy as usual, but with a strange little smile on her face as she listened to the tale, sketching out the memory with a quill of her own. Maybe a bit uncomfortable with all the attention, but being surrounded by friends after everything they had been through made it... better.

"It's your celebration as much as it is theirs, you know," Juniper continued. "You're just as much a hero as they are."

"Hm." Hero. The word didn't stick right with him. But then again... He looked over the seven of them once more, an odd smile returning to his face. They weren't exactly "hero" material either, and yet, they stepped up to the job. They were just normal ponies who had what it took to set out and get the job done. Maybe "heroic" isn't meant to describe a person, but an action. Perhaps anyone could be a hero, really.

"Quill told me you... didn't want to be mentioned in the records of this event." Juniper tilted her head. "Why?" Silver smiled and turned his head to look at her.

"This story was never about me," he said simply. "It was about them. Their deeds." He looked back at them. They were now all gathered around Quill, laughing as Aurora circled around him in the air, excitedly talking her head off about some moment of their adventure. "It was them who stepped up to actually do something. I'm just the one who brought them together." Juniper just started laughing, earning a raised brow from Silver. He couldn't help but smile. "What...?"

"Oh, that's all you did, is it...?" She smirked. "Their strength came from their unity. They pulled through because they did it together. That was your doing."

"I'm not saying I didn't help..." He looked back at the crowd. "...Just that this... wasn't my story." Melody was doing her best to pull the whole group into one big hug, grinning from ear to ear. Silver smiled. "Besides... I didn't need to do much to get them to work together."

"Even still. Why not let your name go down in history? Even if... for the small part you played?"

He glanced at Juniper, his smile growing warmer. "You know, you helped quite a bit yourself."

"Don't change the subject, Silvey."

He sighed, still smiling, his gaze coming back to the crowd. "I don't want names to take away from their deeds. I don't want it to seem like I orchestrated the whole thing, and get the credit."

"I... think I see what you're saying? But I don't know if that would happen."

Silver shrugged. "Either way... my story is somewhere else."

Juniper sighed. "That's the best answer you're gonna give me, huh?"

"Afraid so." His smile slowly faded. Juniper quirked a brow at the shift in his mood, and her eyes flicked down to the packed saddlebags at his hooves.

"Heading out again so soon?" she asked with a smile, but also a bit of disappointment.

He looked at her and nodded. "...Yeah."

Her smile grew a bit as she shook her head. "Always disappearing and reappearing at the strangest times, Silver Mine. How long you think you'll be gone for this time?"

His face remained blank as he stared into her bright blue eyes. "...I don't think I'm coming back this time, Jun..."

"Oh." She frowned, her expression slowly growing a bit more sad. She stared at him for a while, and he stared back, the dwindling sunlight shining between them. "...Your story's somewhere else, huh...?" Silver nodded slowly. She shook her head, staring into his silver eyes as a sad, yet amused smile slowly crept onto her face. "Just as mysteriously as you arrived into my life, you're leaving. Is it... weird that I feel like I almost expected this...?"

Silver offered a small smile in return. "I suppose not." A pause. "I'm... sorry, Jun. It's just something I have to do."

"I know."

"I'll still write."

"You better." Silver smiled a bit wider and chuckled, causing Juniper to chuckle as well. After a moment, she looked into his eyes and shook her head again. "...Who are you, Silver Mine?"

Silver smiled warmly. "You know who I am."

She laughed quietly. "Always so cryptic..." She stepped closer and wrapped her foreleg around his neck, pulling him into a hug, which he gingerly returned. "I'll miss you..."

"I'll miss you too." After a long moment, He pulled away, leaned down and picked up his saddlebags, strapping them onto his back. He looked back to her. "Give my regards to Shining."

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to the others?" she asked with a tilt of her head.

Silver looked out at the crowd once more. He saw Aurora excitedly fluttering around once again, though this time Quill was also hopping around, the two of them circling around Carina and rambling on as the crowd seemed to struggle to keep up. Bronze was showing Melody some contraption he made for her, which seemed to capture all her focus and excitement. Coal and Oathbound were locked in an intense hoof-wrestling rematch, with plenty of spectators cheering them on. "I... already told them I was leaving."

Juniper quirked a brow at him. "...But not that you were leaving for good."

He shook his head, still watching them. "I'll be writing to them, too..." He felt a hoof placed on his shoulder, and he looked at her.

She smiled sweetly at him. "I hope you find what you're looking for, Silver." Silver blinked a moment, then smiled softly.

"Thanks..."

Juniper nodded, pulling her hoof away with a sigh. "Well, I'd... better get back to the festival. The Tipsy Griffon's been bustling since the celebration began, and I'm pretty sure my break ended a while ago..."

Silver chuckled quietly. "Right... good luck with that." Juniper began walking away, stopping after a few slow steps, turning her head back to him with a sad smile.

"Bye, Silvey."

"Bye, Jun."

With one last sweet smile, she turned and trotted off.

Silver let out a long, quiet sigh as he watched her go, slowly making her way down the streets to the city square. He then looked back at the crowd. It seemed that Coal had beaten Oathbound in the hoof-wrestle this time around - he was lifted in the air by several ponies, cheering in triumph, while Oathbound respectfully applauded. Melody began singing a song for Coal's victory as Bronze flew up and gave him a hoof-bump, followed by a fresh drink. Carina wandered over and timidly showed off her recently finished sketch to the group, attracting the attention of Aurora, who zoomed over to gape at the artistic rendition of the northern lights.

Silver smiled, then noticed Quill sitting a bit away from the others, writing in his journal intently. Silver watched him for a while, his smile fading. Quill then glanced up, looking around, and happened to spot Silver in the distance. He lowered the journal as they made eye contact. Silver stared. Quill offered a small smile as he stared back and gave a nod and a wave. Silver smiled and nodded back, casting one last glance at the seven heroes, then turned and headed down the street.

The sunlight dwindled further, the clear, burning orange skies revealing the deep cosmos of twinkling stars overhead. Silver climbed up to the tallest building he could find near the edge of the city, looking up at the stars for a moment. He then looked back, casting a sweeping glance across Canterlot castle, illuminated in the embers of twilight. "I'm gonna miss this place," he said quietly, a bit of moisture in the corner of his eye. He let out a shaky breath and looked out across the horizon.

"Ready?"

Ready.

His gaze traveled up, to the stars, and then he was gone.

Author's Note:

A few weeks ago, I went back and watched the series finale of MLP. It moved me so much, and was such a satisfying ending to a whole era of my life that I decided I wanted to try and finally bring it all to a close.
I know this isn't the story you or I hoped for when this all began, nor is it necessarily the ending I had planned, but the full story simply can't be written anymore. The inspiration, the plans, the adventure, were all lost to time.
I hope you guys liked this and found some semblance of satisfaction or closure reading it. After so long of not writing anything pony related, it was fun to come back to it just this once, as a sort of encore.
I am sorry that the adventure never really began... but it still felt like a wonderful journey to me. Thank you all.

-Raptor

Comments ( 3 )

Oh man...

I actually let out a tear. It’s been so long since I last thought about this story...
i.imgur.com/Adg761K.png

I never thought you’d even try to give a bit of closure despite all that happened, honestly.
It’s been an honor, gentlemen. Best adventure we never had.
gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/snake-salute-gif-7.gif

Ah yes, this old tale makes a return after all these years. While it didn't get especially far it was certainly a unique concept and it was a delight to see one of my old RPG NPCs make a much more detailed return in a slightly refined characterization.
"W-well, just knowing that someone like me could be a hero is an inspiration, even if the tale itself is lost to time. ...T-though now that I think about it, Roseshine would never let me hear the end of this for not following through with the promise for those singing lessons, but I couldn't bear to unveil Silver's secrets I glimpsed beyond the curtain. And yes Flare, it's tragic that we won't get to perform our Phoenix-song again." -Carina

Login or register to comment