• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 978 Views, 135 Comments

Unlikely Heroes - Raptor



Six of you, unlikely heroes, will be chosen to fulfill a prophecy, and may ultimately save Equestria... or destroy it.

  • ...
1
 135
 978

Prologue

Day [?]
The Great Cave, Dragon lands
Fifth stage of Rising Sun

"What news have you?" bellowed the deep voice from the darkness. Despite the lack of effort put into them by the speaker, the words were loud and shook the very cave. A young adult green dragon stood there, facing the darkness, standing half as high as the cave ceiling. Any pony that were present would see the giant beast and say he was proud and strong. Maybe even angry.

But on this big a scale, one could see that he was actually downright terrified. "The ponies have walked onto the Sacred Land, my lord."

"..." The voice was clearly waiting for more.

"...They brought the Frost with them."

A low but loud growling could be heard, causing the large dragon to take a single step back. Had any other creature caused him to do that, it would be considered an act of fearless valor. "...We must destroy the Frost."

The dragon cocked an eyebrow. "...How... how would we do that, my liege? It... it is snow..."

"It is snow that moves seemingly on its own accord. It is snow that follows creatures and smothers them in ice. This snow is not natural... IT IS BEING CONTROLLED."

"Your infinite wisdom proves itself once again, my lord," the dragon said with a slight bow. "But how will we find the controller?"

"By flying into the eye of the storm, of course."

The dragon got a look of sudden realization on his face.

"Go to the clouds above the ponies. The controller is no doubt following them directly overhead. GO- AND RETURN TO ME WITH NEWS OF OUR ENEMY."

The dragon hesitated, backing off slowly.

"GO."

On the single word, the dragon unfurled his wings, turned, and ran out of the cave, taking off into the skies.


Day [?]
Sacred Land
Third stage of Setting Sun

The sacred land looked as beautiful as it always did... at least, the southern half did. The northern half was defiled- it was shrouded by a colossal, ominous gray cloud that stretched for miles. Underneath that, the shadowed land was covered in a sheet of snow and ice. There were several gusts of wind that were visible, thanks to the tons of ice pouring down from the clouds above.

There was a particularly windy area around a small cave. It caught the dragon's attention, and he descended towards it.


Day [?]
The Great Cave, Dragon lands
First stage of Rising Moon

When the dragon returned, he was surprised to see two other dragons in the giant dark cave- a red one and a blue one. They both watched their green comrade as he flapped his wings and landed.

As soon as he did, he heard the low breathing of his master.

"Forestclaw. What news have you of the Frost?" the voice echoed.

Forest smiled. "It has already been defeated, my lord." The two other dragons shared surprised looks.

"...Is that so...?" The voice muttered amusedly. "I should either be impressed that you took care of it on your own, or amused that the enemy was so weak. Regardless... well done."

Forest was about to correct him by saying that it was actually the ponies who defeated the Frost, but decided against it. Compliments from the Great Lord came rarely, and the dragons who served under him had learned to accept them whenever they were given. "Thank you, sir," he said instead. "I barely had to lift a claw."

"Now then," the voice bellowed, moving on. "You have missed much. I have called Bloodscale and Stormbringer here because this is a matter of utmost importance. Instead of going over what I have already discussed with them, I shall simply show you. My sons... we have been blessed." There was the sound of a giant wing unfurling followed quickly by a gust of wind to the right side of the cave. Immediately, a small white orb appeared out of nowhere in the center of the cave, just out of the shadow. Wind encircled it, followed by sparks of magic and electricity. quickly, it shrunk, then expanded with a brief humming sound into a large blue portal, about as tall as an adult dragon, lined with a white glow around the swirling edges.

The three dragons before it stared in awe, jaws agape. "What magic is this?" Stormbringer asked.

"A magic well beyond our field of comprehension," the voice replied.

"Where does it lead...?" Bloodscale asked.

"Somewhere off-limits," came a new voice. Suddenly, the portal closed in on itself, leaving nothing. A low but loud growl came from the shadows. The three dragons turned to see a pony in fully plated black body armor, its chinks highlighted in red, staring at all of them with glowing red eyes. "Sorry."

The three dragons growled and snarled as menacingly as they could, but the pony seem simply unfazed.

"Who are you?!" the voice bellowed, now raised. "You dare enter my lair?!"

"Oh, you don't need to know about lil' ol' me," the pony chortled. "What you do need to know, is that you can't use this portal. You aren't supposed to have it."

"I am the Great Lord. anything I take is mine. I have taken this portal. This portal... is MINE."

The pony shook his head. "If it's not from this universe, you can't have it. Those are the rules."

"I make my own rules..."

The pony shrugged. "Too bad." The three dragons were utterly shocked at what the pony just said to their lord. "Guess what...?" The pony leaned forward. "So do I." There was the loud sound of a furious growl throughout the cave. "And as long as I'm within fifty meters of the portal controller, it won't work." He took a step forward. "So... I'll just be taking that..."

The growling increased. Then, the voice bellowed one more time:

"KILL HIM!!!"