• Published 29th Jan 2012
  • 1,595 Views, 10 Comments

Old Friends - 10000 B_C



The changing times of Ponyvillle from behind the counter of Sugarcube Corner.

  • ...
0
 10
 1,595

Not Your Line

*A/N: It's been too long since I uploaded. Some of the blame, I suppose, could go to the writer who pre-read this chapter for me. It wouldn't be as good without the changes, though, so go say hi to <a href="http://www.fimfiction.net/user/AbsoluteAnonymous">AbsoluteAnonymous</a> for me. Yeah, that AbsoluteAnonymous. Sorry for the wait.

The party had long ago stopped being for the twins.

They weren’t yet old enough to understand why so many ponies had turned up to eat a cake that was larger than an adult pony, but the twins enjoyed the attention all the same. Yet baby ponies needed sleep - this was made abundantly clear when Mr. Cake found the twins asleep in their half eaten pieces of cake, snoozing quietly. He brought them upstairs to the soundproofed nursery, an absolute must when living in a house made for parties.

When he came back downstairs, Pinkie popped up in front of him without warning, setting off another miniature heart attack in the pitiable pony’s heart. She looked upstairs, at the empty crib, at Carrot Cake, at the partying ponies, at the kitchen, and then back to Carrot. She leaned her head close, conspicuously.

“Are the twins asleep?” she whispered, again leaning her neck to the right to look past Carrot at the dark hallway above them.

“Yes, Pinkie. And the door’s closed,” he reassured, still breathing heavily.

“Perfect! Time to bring out the big guns! Or maybe it’s cannons? I’m not sure; would I just make a general statement and say weapons? I mean, I don’t want to sound like I’m gonna shoot somepony, but I don’t really have any guns, just cannons.”

Carrot blinked twice. The shellshock of another rant still affected him; his response was slow and unsure, his lips struggling to meet his mind’s crazed demands.

“What… are you… what do you mean?” he tried, closing his mouth before it betrayed him.

“Well, you think this is a party? Have you even met me, Mr. Cake? I just didn’t want to freak out the foals!” she explained, her head swaying to the notably subdued music. “Now it’s gonna be a party, Pinkie Pie Style!” she said with a flourish, spinning on a hoof and galloping towards the darkened kitchen.

Carrot wondered exactly what she had planned as he surveyed the room. Everypony seemed to be in high spirits- he could see Rarity having a drink by the punch table while talking to Fluttershy, who looked as bashful as ever; Twilight seemed to be discussing the finer points of something in a book with Applejack, who looked thoroughly uninterested; and then he noticed Rainbow, who was staring intently at a section of the wall with nothing on it except a streamer or two.

He waited for explosions to come from the kitchen, but none came. Given this calm before the storm, he decided to check on Rainbow. She was one of Pinkie’s friends, the one who was always up for pulling some pranks- maybe this was just another prank on ponies who would care to look in her direction?

But as he got closer, excusing himself as he bumped into ponies in better moods thank the dejected cyan pony, he could see Rainbow was not pulling any sort of prank. She wore a blank expression on her face and her eyes seemed hollow, as if she wasn’t focused on anything in particular.

A stallion passed by, brushing his tail against her by accident. She didn’t react to the sensations, which was shocking- tails have a tendency to produce a ticklish, goosebump-like experience, and goosebumps are hard to ignore. But she sat there, listless as he had first seen her.

He finally made his way past the final table, filling the void around the colorful mare.

“Are you okay, Rainbow?” he asked, trying to make eye contact.

She did not return the gesture.

“No.”

It was so short- one word, in fact- yet it seemed so heavy, laden with pain of some degree. She hadn’t looked like this in all the times he had seen her, and he would bet a bit none of her friends had, either. He looked at her hooves, which rested upon an empty envelope. He thought of the implications a letter could bring, and the letters that had made his life feel torn. He put a hoof around her, ready to offer his time for her comfort.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

A pause.

“Yes.”

Another pause, longer than the first.

“You can tell me, Rainbow. I won’t bite.”

“I got rejected from the Wonderbolts,” she spurted out, quickly, almost as if she could say it all before she slapped a hoof to her mouth. “…again.”

Mr. Cake was unsure of how to respond. He had seen the Wonderbolts twice in his life. Once, as a colt with his family, watching them with wonder; and the second, with Cup, and he hadn’t been all too focused on the flyers that time. He knew they were big, and joining them would mean fame and fortune for anypony who could meet their standards. They were standards that Rainbow couldn’t seem to meet, however. He was about to proffer a kind word or two to lighten the blow, but Rainbow was starting up again.

“I didn’t want to tell my friends, and I didn’t the first time…” she revealed, shutting her eyes tight against her emotion. “…if they saw me like this- and knew I wasn’t good enough for the Wonderbolts twice!” her voice squeaked at the last word, her eyes threatening to crack open and let the flood start. “…they’d hate me… I’m not good enough for them, or the Wonderbolts, or anypony…” she quietly finished, letting the tiniest of tears slip by.

Mr. Cake was going to lend a hoof to the dejected pony, but was once again interrupted.

“We don’t hate you, Dashie!”

“Pinkie?!” exclaimed Rainbow, turning in surprise. In fact, it was not just Pinkie- Rainbow was surrounded by her closest friends, each with a look of sadness and sympathy. “I- but you were all, over there, and…” she stuttered, coming to a stop as Fluttershy came forth and squeezed the breath out of her in a hug.

“Oh, Rainbow, we’d never leave just because you didn’t get into the Wonderbolts. We’re your best friends, and whether or not those silly Wonderbolts think you’re good enough, you’re more than good enough for us,” she urged, squeezing tighter. “We love you, Rainbow. All of us.” She ceased talking. One by one, the other four ponies joined the hug, surrounding her in a cocoon of friendship and warmth.

Rainbow’s dams, erected in a bitter time, were torn down, and the waterfalls could truly be waterfalls. But the waterfalls led to a smile, and, above, eyes that no longer seemed dull or lifeless. This was where she belonged.

Mr. Cake watched the hug with a warm heart, though he did not join in. This was not a hug meant for him. He might’ve noticed, if he had turned, an abandoned party cannon in the doorway of the kitchen, a half empty drink by the punch bowl, and an opened book on the floor. What he did see, without turning, was the envelope, now free from its captive plight under the cyan hooves. It was addressed to Rainbow, and under it was the letter, previously hidden by his vantage point.

He nudged it from under its paper coat, revealing a letter that seemed hoof written. He avoided looking at most of the text, sensing it was something private, but he had a very sneaking suspicion that Rainbow had not read past the rejection part of the letter. He scanned the words for sorry, rejection, or the like. He found what he was looking for halfway down:

are sorry to say you have not been accepted into the Wonderbolts. We are sorry, but remember you can always try again next year. You may not have been accepted, but you are still a fantastic flyer Miss Dash, and all that talent should not go to waste. You may think of other jobs requiring a fast flyer- perhaps a royal messenger? Additionally, the Wonderbolts are not the only flying group in Equestria- it would be nice, if you joined another team, to finally have some competition! Think about it, and if nothing else sounds appealing, train and wait until next year!
Sincerely,
Spitfire
P.S. I know you can do a Sonic Rainboom, Dash- you saved my life with it. But when you didn’t do it for the judges, that was the only reason you didn’t get in! If nerves are getting to you, I know a pony great for that who lives in Ponyville now; I think it’s Dr. Whooves? Really though, you are awesome, Rainbow, don’t forget that! Hope to see you next year.

Carrot put the pieces together in his head. Dash didn’t do the Rainboom and didn’t get in, but hadn’t seen the reassuring words of Spitfire after the rejection. And just when it seemed Rainbow had gotten into reading, too…

He turned around, seeing the ponies slowly come out from their hug.

“You girls are the best friends a mare could have,” Rainbow cried, wiping her face with a hoof. She looks around self consciously, but the other ponies were still enjoying the party. She sighed happily and sat on her rump. Carrot approached, letter on his head. He dropped it in front of Rainbow.

“I think you should read all of this, Rainbow,” he urged, pushing it to her with a hoof.

“I’m all good- I don’t need Wonderbolts when I’ve got this!” she said, proudly pointing to the mares around her.

“No, Rainbow, I know that. But, I think you stopped reading the letter after Spitfire wrote that you weren’t accepted, right?”
Rainbow looked up at him- that was uncanny, how he knew that.

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, there are more words after that, Rainbow; words that I guarantee will make the difference. Why don’t you read it?” he offered, again nudging it closer to the sitting pony. She looked at the letter, at Carrot, then at the circle of friends ready to drop everything to help her. She looked unsure, shifting a hoof back and forth.

She was starting to sweat, now- would she choose her friends, or the Wonderbolts? Love, or fame and fortune? A home, or-

“Rainbow, just read the gosh darn thing!” shouted Applejack. Rainbow sighed and started to read the letter, this time past the rejecting point. Her eyes opened more and more as she read, then furrowed, then opened again.

“She doesn’t hate me?” she wondered, looking at the message again.

“Rainbow, that’s dang near the stupidest thing you’ve ever said! Why would Spitfire hate you because you messed up tryin’ ta get in?” she questioned, leaning in and looking Rainbow in the eye.

“Because! Well… um…” she excused, lamely.

“Look, Rainbow. Why don’t we go back to the party? I mean, whatever that letter says can wait until tomorrow, right?” asked Twilight. Rainbow looked at the letter, then nodded and stood up.

“Let’s party!” shouted Rainbow as she flew into the air, full of energy.

“That’s my line!” Pinkie shouted, jumping and pulling Rainbow back to the ground. They landed in a heap, laughing and rolling towards the others like a bowling ball. The others tried to avoid it, but the tumble caught them, and pretty soon all six of them were piled on top of each other, unable to move. They laughed while other partygoers looked on with amusement. The tangled mess of ponies slowly untangled itself except for two: Pinkie and Twilight.

“Pinkie, your hoof’s caught around my back, and I can’t get up,” the purple unicorn said, struggling against the pink pony.

“I know! Isn’t this fun?” she asked, snout to snout with Twilight. The lower pony looked extremely uncomfortable with this, blushing and trying to scoot backwards.

“Pinkie, this isn’t really the time for this-“

“I’ve always got time for my marefriend!” Pinkie chirped happily, cutting Twilight short. Twilight’s eyes opened wide, and her pupils flicked around the room at the ponies closest by. She didn’t see anypony, and sighed in relief- but she couldn’t look behind her at one Fluttershy, who seemed to get the message.

“Oh, I’m so happy for you!” she said, clapping her hooves together, louder than she usually was. Rarity, having been close by to the pegasus, turned an ear.

“What was that, Fluttershy? Who’s happy for whom, here?” she asked, looking at Pinkie, a hoof around Twilight, still on the floor. “Oh!” she squealed in a high pitch voice. “You two! Why, I never thought that you would be the ones to get together, no offense dears, but I must say I thought one of you had a thing for Rai-”

“She meant marefriend like a mare who was her friend! Right, Pinkie?” she asked desperately, poking a hoof into Pinkie’s side. “Right?”

“No, Twilight! We went over this last night! Like this!” she said, closing the gap between their muzzles.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Twilight’s eyes opened wider, which seemed impossible given the relative size of her eyes to the size of her head, but they did. Maybe being around Pinkie made the laws of physics bend a bit? She didn’t know, but all she could think about were the laws of physics while being kissed on the floor of the bakery, surrounded by her friends and random ponies from town.

How much air does Pinkie even have? she wondered, letting her eyes shut and hoping for the best. She couldn’t hold out for much longer, and began trying to let Pinkie know with her hooves. But that did nothing but make Pinkie giggle against her lips. She had to do something or she would pass out! Maybe she could signal one of her friends to knock Pinkie off, or possibly tap out some Horse code with a free hoof?

But her fears were unfounded- Pinkie let their lips go at the last second, letting Twilight take big gulps of air. She dove for a second round but was instead kissing a purple hoof. She looked at Twilight, confusion written on her face.

“Pinkie!” she whispered urgently. “Get off!”

Pinkie rolled off Twilight, slipping her hoof out from under the mare. Twilight stood up shakily- Pinkie had never kissed her quite like that before. It was frightening and exhilarating at the same time. She heard a slow clap of hooves from behind her. Rainbow was hovering above the pair, apparently the source of the noise.

“I have never seen anypony kiss for so long! Jeez! Maybe you broke a record!” she said, obviously impressed. Only then did she realize what she had done. “I mean, I’ve kissed longer, of course- twice as long! Yeah, sorry Pinkie, you’re no match for the Dash!” she bragged, switching her tone and extending her hooves.

“I am too!” rebutted Pinkie, grabbing Twilight.

“Pinkie stop!” shouted Twilight, a hoof in front of her face again. Pinkie stopped, confused again.

“I thought you wanted to be my marefriend Twilight,” said Pinkie, dejectedly.

“I do, Pinkie, I just wanted to wait to tell everypony else…” she said, looking around. All of her friends were there, and none of them were telling her to leave Ponyville forever. Princess Celestia wasn’t here, ready to banish her to a dungeon on the moon. Maybe, just maybe, she was being as paranoid as Rainbow. “But it looks like it all worked out, I guess… well, girls, me and Pinkie are together. Huh. How about that,” she said, looking at all of them. She then grabbed Pinkie and swung her into a kiss, deeper than the first. It was Pinkie whose eyes went wide this time.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Mr. Cake cheered for the two ponies with everypony else, and somepony- maybe that one who liked all that classy music- turned on a slow song. Twilight broke the kiss, looking at Pinkie and nodding. They started dancing, neck to neck, eyes closed. Mr. Cake dimmed the lights.

Couples of all shapes and sizes came out to dance. Rarity nudged Fluttershy, who blushed and shook her head, but was soon dragged out by the white unicorn to the dance floor, where Rarity gently taught the yellow mess of nerves how to dance. Rainbow continued hovering, unsure of what to do. She felt something grab hold of her tail, however, and soon she was on the ground.

“We can dance, Rainbow. As a friendly thing. Ah’m sure I’m a better dancer, anyhow- ah could teach ya,” she said, picking up the pegasus with a smirk.

“No way, AJ! I’ll be a better dancer than you ever were, or ever will be!” she challenged, racing to the floor. Applejack chased after her, disappearing behind the crowd now assembled on the dance floor.

Mr. Cake could see Pinkie with Twilight, eyes closed in happiness; he saw Derpy- when did she get here? - dancing with Doc. All seemed well at Sugarcube Corner, right then. But, as it turned, he still had a problem to solve. Big Macintosh rounded a group of three giggling mares who eyed him as he passed, but he stoically ignored them. He made a line for Carrot, making eye contact from halfway across the room.

He reached him as the song made its crescendo. Another track was flipped on, however, and the dancing went on. He looked nervous, now that Carrot could see him better. He finally got within talking distance and began speaking in a measured tone.

“Carrot, I want to dance with a certain pony, but I’m too darn nervous whenever I get close to h- that pony.” he explained. Carrot thought for a moment, putting a hoof to his chin.

“Well… I could help… I’d need you to give me my discount back that I gave you for blackmailing me about reading Ponies.”

“Anythin’, Carrot. This may be mah only chance.”

“And I want free apples for a month-”

“Carrot, that’s-“

“Or I’ll tell everypony you still play with dolls.”
Big Mac’s red face turned redder. He looked hard at him.

“One- they are action figures, not dolls. And two, who told you this? AJ? Pinkie? I bet it was Pinkie, that loudmouth pink pony always taking mah action figures-“

“That’s enough, Mac. Just give me the apples for a month, and I won’t tell everypony you still play with dolls. And, as an added bonus, I’ll help you get that special somepony.”

Big Mac thought deply for a moment- how would losing the apples given to Sugarcube Corner affect business? He could see numbers flashing inside his head, complex mathematical equations floating by, and he came to a conclusion- he would simply need to sell more apples and have less in storage for the winter.

“Deal, Carrot. Now talk.” he demanded.

“Alright, Big Mac- imagine that pony is just your best friend, and you want to have somepony to dance with so you’re not alone, but nothing romantically important about it.”
Sure worked for Applejack, he thought.

“But the pony is mah best friend!”

Carrot stopped. This would be a bit more difficult than he thought it would be. He thought for a moment, while Big Mac shifted his hooves.

“The song’ll be over in a minute, Carrot. There’s nopony at tha’ music stand- no more songs.”

“Don’t worry, Big Mac! I’ve got this. Give me a second… ah ha! I know, Mac! Pretend you’re just teaching your sister how to dance- just grab a hold of the pony, say, ‘it’s time to dance’, and pull them out. If they don’t know how, it’ll be perfect, and if they do, after you’re done you can explain how nervous you were because you liked them! That ought to work, eh Big Mac?”

But the stallion was gone. Carrot looked for the guy- he shouldn’t be that hard to spot, he was practically taller than Celestia- and finally got a track on him. He was by those three mares again. He was stopping… and now he was talking to them! Was Big Mac trying to dance with all three of them? Carrot nearly went up and socked him in the jaw, but he controlled himself- Big Mac was digging his own ditch there.

However, his assumptions were wrong for the third time that night. Big Mac pushed past the mares, which seemed to be pulling at him to stay. He worked his way through the dancing couples and finally stopped in a corner. He couldn’t see the pony of interest, at first- Big Mac wasn’t called Big for nothing, after all.

But then, he saw the pony being pulled by Big Mac to the floor. It was one of the farm hands from the Acres, the name he couldn’t recall. However, when he thought of what Big Mac had almost let slip, he remembered- Caramel was the name. The stallion seemed surprised at being pulled to the floor, but he got the rhythm quickly, dancing side by side with the red pony. When he turned, Carrot gave him a wink, which was returned with a glare.

Now, all was well. No pony was left without a partner or at least friends, and he leaned against the wall, content. Or he would’ve, except somepony poked him in the back. He groaned inwardly, as yet another pony needed his help that night. Couldn’t he just relax?

But it was not just another pony- it was his wife.

She pointed to the dance floor.

He went with her.