• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 6,981 Views, 100 Comments

Cowboys and Angels - RecklessRush



A ranch-hand finds himself in Equestria, how will he survive knowing that the animals he once raised are now sentient?

  • ...
10
 100
 6,981

Showing Up

Chapter 1

Friday, the final workday of the week. Tomorrow was going to be Saturday. The weekend would begin and all the farm-hands would be home with their families. Working at Lucky Stables was a good job, and it gave good pay. That is, if you worked diligently enough. For most, this was no problem. But for a certain man, this was a bit harder than usual.

For 34 year old Terrance, working hard was not on his agenda. At this point in his life, he had hit a rut. He felt alone... not that he didn't have friends, his co-workers all liked him enough. As it was, he didn't have anyone to come home to. Sure, he was good looking: shoulder length brown hair, hazel eyes, tall, broad shoulders, well muscled, deep voice, but he was also very shy around women. Whenever one approached him with 'that' look, he would always find some excuse to get away from them. They intimidated him for the most part, and to be honest... he had never really felt attracted to any woman he had seen.

Terrance felt more at home with animals than he did with people. They calmed him, made him happy. The animals he loved the most, were the horses he had raised. “Buttercup”, “Rosey”, and “Mikey” were Terrence's horses. The boss had allowed him to raise them from the moment they had been born, and Terrence had done so with love and care. They had known him from the beginning, and they always trotted up to him when he called, happy to see him again. The three of them always put a smile on his face whenever he saw them. They meant to world to him.

On this day however, his smile felt forced. Seeing one of his colleagues getting picked up by their wife had really hit home for him. They had seemed so happy, so carefree, so joyful to be in each other's presence. So feeding the horses had him in a lack luster kind of state.

“Now... why can't ah find someone like that?” he muttered to himself.



Pushing open the door to his home later that day, Terrence let out a sigh. Maybe some music would get his mind off things. Traversing his messy living room, Terrence found his guitar and tuned it. Sitting on the couch, he started strumming an old tune his pops had taught him when he was only a kid. Letting the sound wash over him, Terrence's eyes began to droop closed, his day's work causing him to succumb to the sweet embrace of sleep.


Silence. Terrence stood in nothing. Nothing but a black abyss of solitude and calm. He was standing, that much was certain, but on what he couldn't say. No noises, no sensations at all. Until he saw a light, like one you would see at the end of a tunnel.

Well ain't this just frightenin'... iffin I didn't know any better... I'd say I was dead. Well, t'ain't nothing to do 'cept follow it I guess...

Taking a couple steps forward, Terrence felt himself getting lighter. It was as if his body was returning to his early 20's in condition. Wherever he was going... he felt better. Lighter, healthier, all around stronger. And he was beginning to feel happy, like he hadn't felt in years.

Guess I did die... kinda wonder how though... last thing I remember I was playin' mah guitar, then I fell asleep... Now less see here, white light, Ahm feelin' better than ah have in years, and... huh?

Stopping for a second, Terrence realized he was still holding his guitar by the neck. What happened to no worldly possessions in Heaven?

Shrugging, Terrence kept walking. Pretty soon he found himself at the precipice of the light. One more step, and he would be inside the blinding brilliance.

Guess this is the end of mah road. Kinda weird that ah died, but what the hell, might as well accept mah fate.

Taking a deep breath, Terrence stepped forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bright... and... fluffy?

Terrence's eyes shot open, then had to squint due to the brightness. Shaking his head to clear the glare, he heard a gasp. Opening his eyes again, he found himself face to face with an angel. Feeling overwhelmed by... something... Terrence fell to his knees, tears welling in his eyes. His guitar fell to the ground with a wooden clatter, and his hands clasped together in silent prayer. After a few moments, Terrence looked up at his holy apparition.

“Yer beautiful...” he whispered. At this the angel... blushed? Yes, that was a reddish hue adorning it's cheeks. And then Terrence got a better look at his angel. Pure white in color? Check. Impressive wings? Check. Horn, four legs, fur coat, large colorful eyes, with rainbow hued hair, and generally resembling a horse? Wait... what.

“That is... nice of you to think so?”

AND IT TALKS!

“AAAGGGGHH!”

Terrence screamed, then fell backwards. Landing hard on his back, he looked back up.

“Yer a- you look like a- why're you a- HORSE?!? Angels ain't suppose' tah be talkin' horses!”

Looking around, Terrence got a better layout of where he was. It seemed to be a bedroom of sorts. A large circular bed was in the middle of the room with a chest of drawers in the corner. Large double doors leading to what Terrence could only guess was a balcony, and a great many of decorations littered the room. It was shiny, glittery, sparkly, and VERY fancy looking. Not to mention his... equine... acquaintance was wearing golden horseshoes... kinda. They wrapped around her hooves like a shoe for a human, not just on the bottom like an actual horse's shoe. There was also a golden tiara, and a golden breastplate that adorned her.

“What did you call me?”

His attention drawn back to the horse-like creature, Terrence cringed. Her face (at least Terrence assumed it was a she from “her” voice) was twisted in confusion, and was looking at him.

“Well, it just seemed weird to me that angels would be horses Ma'am... Ah mean, not many religions ah seen that wershipped talkin' horses...”

“I'm not a horse... I'm an alicorn... a pony. I'm also a Princess, and I believe you need to explain a few things. One of which would be telling me how you got past my guards and into my room, only to appear out of thin air on my bed.”

This time it was Terrence's turn to blush.

“Beggin' yer pardon, ma'am, but ah don't rightly know HOW ah came to die... Last thing ah remember ah was playing mah guitar and fell asleep... And ah also didn't mean tah disrespect yah... Please don't send me tah Hell miss angel... Ah swear ah been good all mah life, been treatin' horses and the like very well for ah good couple years now...” Terrence drifted off, contemplating his predicament. On one hand, if he was dead, then maybe he would be able to get past his issues. But on the other hand, if he wasn't... he was in an... existence that included colorful talking horses... He wasn't sure if he could handle that.

“You... fell asleep... and woke up here...?”

“Ah know it don't make much sense but that's all ah know ah swear...”

“Well... sounds like you have been through... something. In any case, you look tired and confused. Perhaps you would like to rest? We can discuss this more in the morning?” The creature asked with a smile.

“Thank yah kindly, Ma'am. Maybe this is all just a dream... and ahm still sleepin'...”

“Maybe...” she said with a giggle. “And please, call me Celestia...”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equestrian Archives, Equestrian Archives...

Celestia was galloping through the halls, twisting and turning her way through the castle. When she had crept out of her room in the dead of the night, then preceded to run full-tilt towards the Equestrian Archives in a cold sweat, her guards were naturally concerned. They followed her, not saying a word, but curious all the same. Arriving at the Archives, Celestia paused and composed herself.

Ok... calm down... look refined as to not cause alarm...

Taking a deep breath, she reached forward with a hoof and pushed the door open. At the same time, Luna had swung the doors wide open in a frantic haste. She had a manic look in her eyes, one Celestia had seen before.

Her sister was freaking out.

Noticing Celestia's presence, Luna looked up with a bit of a whimper.

“Sister! Hast thou felt it too?”

“Felt it? 'IT' is sleeping in my quarters!” At this, Luna cocked her head to the side, confused.

“A temporal anomaly is resting itself in thou's bedroom, dearest sister?”

“He just... appeared... and he was...” Celestia then turned a light shade of pink. Luna leaned forward.

“'He'?” Celestia's eyes widened, then she shook her head, clearing the blush.

“The voice would indicate that he is male, and he was very...” Celestia wandered off, remembering how he had nuzzled her wings. “...Gentlecoltly.”

“Sister, forgive me... but thou simply LET a strange creature stay in thine own room? Tis... an odd decision, We must admit...”

“Which is why I was coming to the Archives to look up information until I had a better idea on what he is. Yet I see you have beaten me to it.” Luna nodded.

“Indeed, however until We have a better grasp on the type of anomaly, We cannot find any proper information. However, thou says it is a 'He', and that 'he' was... nice. That means it's sentient, and we have never had a sentient anomaly in Equestria before! Sister! This is something new!” Luna's excitement was very noticeable at this point, and Celestia could only giggle.

“Oh, Lulu. You remind me of Twilight sometimes when you're given something that interests you. The only thing that's missing is her 'Yes Dance'.” At this, Luna giggled too.

“Well, it has been a while since We have had a chance to try out something new. To expand Our horizons a bit.”

Celestia's face became glum at that. “Lulu I just want to say that I'm-”

“Sorry? Again? Sister, We have long since forgiven thou for what thou did. It was necessary at the time and We are back now, and better for it thanks to young Twilight Sparkle and her friends. There is nothing to be sorry for, Sister,” Luna interrupted. Celestia gave a small smile.

“I know, but I still feel bad about back then.”

“Now, now, Sister. Enough with this glum atmosphere. Time for research! Now tell Us, did 'he' say anything else?”

Brought back to the current issue, Celestia shook her head to clear it.

“Well, he did call me an... 'angel' I think it was. And he seems to not know how he came here. Says he fell asleep and just woke up here.”

“He knows Equestrian?”

“Yes! However he does sound like one of Twilight's friends. Applejack?”

“The country pony?”

“Yes, that one. Oh, but he was very confused when he saw me. He even called me a...” Celestia trailed off.

“A what?”

Celestia stayed silent.

“Sister?”

“He called me a... a horse.”

Luna's jaw dropped. Her face slowly turned into one of rage. A temporal anomaly had the GALL to call her sister a HORSE?!? That was just... crude! Not to mention racist! That little... that little....


“HE WILL REGRET THE DAY HE EVER-”

"Lulu! Hush! Ponies are trying to sleep!”

Luna stopped using her Royal Canterlot Voice and took a breath.

“But Sister! That is just unforgivable! Calling thou such a thing!”

Celestia shook her head.

“I don't think he actually knows what that means here, Lulu! He seemed very confused...”

Luna breathed for a couple seconds, calming herself.

“We shall ask him ourselves what he does and does not know. Then We shall judge him accordingly. Sister? Please lead the way.”

“Very well, but please, remember that we are Princesses first, Judges second?”

Luna nodded, agreeing. “Understood, Sister. But one wrong move, and We shall not hesitate to protect thou.”

Celestia nuzzled her younger sister. “I couldn't ask for anything more.”

Author's Note:

This is my first fic, so please let me know if I did anything wrong in your eyes. If it's just a clashing of head-canons, then please don't go crazy on me.

BIG THANKS go to tallestbrony for helping me out with this. Go to his page, read his stories, give him lots of love he earns it.

And yes there will be more obviously. 2nd chapter coming hopefully soon, schedule permitting!

Oh, and I would appreciate anyone willing to find/make me a cover picture. My art sucks and I'd rather not blind people. :rainbowlaugh: