• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 7,181 Views, 93 Comments

The love of three - Shadymist



Spike ends up finding himself the object of affection for the cutie mark crusaders.

  • ...
14
 93
 7,181

How it Began

Chapter One

How it Began

Maybe I should have seen this coming. Though it wasn’t one of the most likely things that could have happened today, I should have realized this might have been an outcome. In the end, I probably brought this on myself when I think about it. Why didn’t I just ignore these three? Not like anything good ever happens when I’m with them. I think back to this morning, when I was relaxing, how could things have ended up like this.

It started out as a good day: I was alone in the library reading the latest Mare-do-Well comic. Since Twilight was in Canterlot with her friends doing something for the Princess, I finally had some time off to myself. The books were organized, the floor was spotless, the shelves were dusted, and for this purple and green dragon, that meant I had the day off. I was happy for the time to myself. Ever since Twilight had become a princess, I seemed to be working harder than usual because, for some reason, becoming a princess meant more studying. So the moment of relaxation was much appreciated.

I was reclining back comfortably in rocking chair reading the latest Mare-do-Well comic. Nobody seemed to be coming in to check out any books today, so I thought I may have had time to finish this issue without any disturbances. That of course couldn’t happen, now could it?

The sound of the library door being violently opened tore me away from my comic. I dropped my comic book and jumped up quickly standing to my full height, which was, after last winter, just above the height of an adult stallion, Along with my newfound height my scales had become ever so slightly darker, my build had become slimmer though I was still very strong, my spines became rather sharp which makes sitting down a pain, and best of all I had sprouted two wings. If what Rainbow said was true, I will have some serious power behind them after I build up my muscles. My head snapped towards the disturbance quickly. My eyes were met with the last ponies I wanted to see today, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Why in Equestria did they choose the day I finally get to relax to come barging in?

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t have anything wrong with the three. They’re quite nice when they aren’t off causing mayhem and utter destruction to Ponyville while trying to get their cutie marks. Knowing them, though, and those haunting smiles that were plastered on their faces, they couldn’t be up to any good.

I stared at each of them with accusing eyes, noting the fact that they had each grown a bit in the last few years, though not enough that they were unrecognizable. Scootaloo stood in front of the group with her orange coat and short, wild purple mane. To Scootaloo’s left was Sweetie Belle, who was sporting white saddle bags that matched her coat perfectly and her purple and pink mane flowed beautifully, showing how much work she put into keeping it up. Lastly, there was Apple Bloom, who had a yellow coat and red mane which had her signature pink bow on it.

Scootaloo of course was the first to speak, pushing out her chest with confidence. “Spike, you have been recruited for an official Cutie Mark Crusader operation!” she said proudly, her purple eyes brimming with excitement, and a matching smile that spelled only pain, and tree sap.

I looked at her for a long moment before turning around and walked across the room where I picked up my comic book, then processed in dropping back into the rocking chair, and saying a plain and simple “No.”

A few seconds later, I found my comic being ripped from my claws by Apple Bloom. “Why not?” she asked.

I crossed my arms before saying, “Because I don’t want to get grounded for the rest of the summer for burning down another building”

“The one time! and don’t forget that If you hadn’t been so busy with gawking at Rarity, it wouldn’t have happened in the first place,” Sweetie Belle muttered as she walked over Apple Bloom’s side

I rolled my eyes at the comment but didn’t say anything only because it was partially true. its not his fault Rarity had a nice flank

“Besides, we just want to go to Zecora’s house,” Sweetie Belle continued.

“Why do you need me for that? You three know how to get there just fine.”

"Because we aren't allowed to go in the Everfree Forest by ourselves, and Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash are in Canterlot with Twilight, so we need someone to take us, so we thought who better than a big brave dragon?" Apple Bloom explained.

“I see,” I said slowly. “I still say no. Can I have my comic book back now?”

Scootaloo sighed “It’s not working, girls! I think it’s time for plan B!”

“Plan B? Why do I have the feeling you three are about to fight dirty?” I asked with narrowed eyes.

Sweetie Belle’s horn began to glow and her saddle bag opened. Out came floating a white box wrapped in a light blue aura.

I scoot back into my chair “What’s in the box?” I asked, looking at it warily.

“Oh just, you know, gem cupcakes!” Scootaloo yelled before flipping open the white box, revealing an assortment of different types of gem cupcakes.

My jaw fell at what I saw. There were a dozen different flavors: sapphire, emerald, diamond, quartz, apatite, topaz, ruby, turquoise, amber, calcite, amethyst, and beryl, all in one box! I reached for the cupcakes, mouth drooling with anticipation. Right before I could touch the box, though, it snapped shut by Sweetie Belle, who promptly put it back into her bag.

“So Spike, will you do it for these delicious cupcakes?” Scootaloo asked with a sly smile on her face.

I eyed Sweetie Belle’s bag and licked my lips hungrily.

“I’m probably going to regret this, but yes. We have a deal.”



“Spike, watch out!” Apple Bloom screamed frighteningly

I came out of my reverie just in time to fly out of the way of another tree. Oh, how could I forget that I’m flying through the Everfree at high speeds, trying to get away from a pissed off manticore that was now chasing us! I silently thanked Celestia that I had grown wings.

I was holding the Crusaders tightly in my arms, one of whom was passed out from fear. I made sure not to drop them, no matter how much I wanted to.To make matters worse, I was bleeding badly from getting hit by the manticore multiple times. I could feel the blood sliding down my face and could clearly see the claw marks that had ripped left arm open. Worst of all though was my wings, which luckily wasn't broken, but every time I flapped they sent pain shooting through my body and keeping me from getting any kind of lift.

"I knew this was a bad idea! Why couldn't you have really been going to Zecora's? This wouldn't have happened if you would use your freaking brains for once! This is EXACTLY why I stopped hanging out with you three!" I yelled furiously at the Crusaders.

"We said sorry, geez." Scootaloo said, rolling her eyes in an uncaring manner.

That only pissed me off even more, but I said nothing about it. "When we get out of here, I want nothing to do with you three anymore!"

"B-but what about the cupcakes?" Scootaloo said.

"Keep 'em," I said, not wanting anything they could give me by this point. "What the hell kind of plan would need you to catch a manticore, anyways?"

Apple Bloom gulped and said in a small, quiet voice "Cutie Mark Crusaders Monster catchers."

My response was a smokey growl, trying not to say something I might regret. I put my focus back into flying around through tree after tree, trying not to get caught or hit. Luckily I was a good enough flier, having been taught by Rainbow Dash since the time I obtained my wings.

I easily started out-flying the beast without much difficulty other than the trees and extra weight. But with the amount of blood I was losing and my endurance failing rather quickly, I could feel myself starting to slow down. The manticore was quickly catching up with us.

The trees began to thin out, signaling that we were reaching the edge of the forest. I could even see the light of the sun up ahead.

“Just a little further.” I thought to myself. I knew it wouldn't follow me out of the forest, or at least I hoped it wouldn't.

I beat my wings harder and faster than I ever had before, ignoring the pain it brought. I could feel myself slowly slipping from consciousness, but I clung to my last bit of it to get the girls out safely. I pushed myself as hard as I could, pain wracking my body even more intensely than before. I was nearly there, I just needed a few more flaps of my wings. With me working so hard, I didn’t even notice the thick branch which, thanks to me flying so fast, shattered over my head as I collided with it. That was just enough to take away the last bit of consciousness I had left in me. The last thing I saw and heard was the green grass at the edge of the forest, the deep roar of the manticore, and a scream before I blacked out.

Author's Note:

I hope you guys like it and as always comment, like, follow, and berate me on my horrible writing. Expect chapter two out as early as late next Monday and as early as Saturday.

I thank my editor The Accursed One and pre-reader Fox-Sama

APPLAUD THESE BRAVE SOULS FOR THEY MAKE THIS STORY READABLE!