• Published 3rd Oct 2011
  • 5,275 Views, 32 Comments

Children of the Sun - Vanner



What happened to Equestria after Nightmare Moon is banished and Celestia is nowhere to be found?

  • ...
2
 32
 5,275

Where Loyalties Lie

Chapter Five: Where Loyalties Lie

Red Chase was right to assume that it would take a day to make their way north to the farms. Patrols of Lunar Rebels were covering the hills that lead into the forest with some frequency, and the only marked path was heavily guarded. What was more disheartening that some local ponies seemed to have joined the fight against their own region and were actually helping the patrols. Quill dismissed them as a bunch of cowards who were only loyal to whomever seemed to be strongest at the moment.

Still, the fact that the locals were offering support to these invaders meant that the Picks and the Chases were both losing support in light of the incident at the wedding. No matter. A few ponies supporting a failed group of rebels would mean little in the big picture. Quill had to guess that there weren’t too many Lunar Rebels left, and that this particular operation was a sort of last ditch effort for them. He felt guilty for wishing the entire incident on another family.

It took the two ponies a few hours to creep past the wood line and into the Bridleburg Valley. Red Chase had the genius idea of cutting reeds from the river banks, and using them as breathing pipes as they swam up river. By the time they got out of the water, the two ponies were freezing and sopping wet. The last of the summer’s warmth had left and the chill of the river did nothing for the mood of the ponies. They had made it past the patrols, but they were wet, freezing, and still ten miles from where they needed to be.

As night began to fall, the soggy ponies knew they weren’t going to be able to get back to the farm that night. Not without drastic measures, at least. Cold, tired, and hungry, Quill Pick and Red Chase were in no mood for heroics, and instead searched for a place to spend the evening.

They managed to find a fishing shack on the edge of a calm spot in the river. It wasn’t much, as there was little room for two ponies. Still, they were exhausted, and there wasn’t really anywhere else for the two to rest.

The shed was unlocked, and the inside stripped bare of everything but a tattered blanket. It was enough to cover the two earth ponies, if they slept close together. Quill said something about impropriety. Red reminded him that survival trumped manners any day of the week. The two ponies huddled together under the ratty blanket for a few minutes before Quill drifted off into the near sleep of exhaustion. Tired as she was, Red couldn’t fall asleep. She was worried about her future, and about the world around her.

“Quill?” asked Red Chase. The blue earth pony woke up enough to turn the young mare lying at his side. “Do you think we’re going to be okay?”

“I really don’t know,” said Quill. “A lot of nasty things have happened in just the two days we’ve been gone. I know between you and Apple Chase, you’ll be able to manage your farms just fine.” He fell silent for a moment before speaking again. “I wish I had your confidence, Red. If something were to happen to my father, I don’t know if I’d be ready to take the reins of the business. I mean, I can do paperwork, sure, but Silk was the brains of the family.” He sighed, and laid his head back down on Red. “I miss him already.”

“He might still be out there, Quill,” said Red with a reassuring smile. “Maybe we’ll find him, and he can help us. Don’t give up hope. It’s like Auntie Heart always said ‘You can find strength in anything.’ Sometimes life is all just a test to see how strong you are.” Red looked around the tiny shack bleakly for a moment. “I guess we’re pretty darn strong if you ask me.”

“You’re right,” said Quill. “I’m sure it’ll all turn out for the best.” Quill and Red closed their eyes, and finally drifted to sleep. Red really hoped that Aunt Heart was faring better than her.

“It is highly improper,” said Ridgeline. “The ladies may take this shelter, I will make my own.”

“You do realize that ponies are herd animals right?” asked Bard.

“Quit yer fussing, and lay down,” said Heart Chase. “Ain’t no one gonna try and take yer virtue in the night. And if yah start comin’ on to me, I’ll wallop yah.” Ridgeline grunted in disapproval.

“M’lady, I insist,” said Ridgeline. “Bard and I will construct our own shelter. You mares have a good night’s rest.”

Heart Chase shrugged her shoulders and laid upon the leaves that she and Constance had piled together. The pegasus trotted over a few minutes later and laid nearly on top of her. Constance cuddled up close to Heart Chase, insisting that they keep warm together. Heart had a hard time ignoring the mares strong scent. Even after a say of walking and fleeing from ships, she still smelled of licorice. It was distracting, to say the least.

“So, uh…” stammered Heart Chase. “Yah sure smell nice…”

“Ancient family recipe for perfume,” said Constance, and she rubbed against Heart Chase. “Mmm… you’re soft,” she purred. “I wouldn’t expect a working pony to have such a soft coat. How do you do it?

“Uh… nothin’ special,” stuttered Heart Chase. “Must be all that swimmin’. Heh.”

“My dear you’re shivering,” said Constance. The pegasus wrapped a wing around the earth pony. “There, that’ll keep you warm.”

Constance laid her head on Heart Chase’s shoulder and immediately fell asleep. Heart Chase found herself trapped in a velvety hell of licorice scent and downy wings. There was no way she was getting any sleep this evening. On the other side of the campfire, the two stallions were erecting their own shelter amid Bard’s annoyed protests.

“You’re really a dunce, you know that?” asked Bard. “We could be warm and asleep right now, huddled up with other ponies, just like nature intended. Instead, we’re over here, making our own shelter where we’re going to be cold and miserable, and still tired when morning comes around.” Bard floated the last of the branches into place, and began weaving them with his magic. “I realize you’ve got this whole ‘Celestia’s Code’ thing you’ve got to keep to about chastity and purity and all that happy nonsense, but would it kill you to just relax for a moment?”

“A commoner such as myself should never share a bed with ladies such as them,” said Ridgeline. He bucked a tree, and rained leaves upon the shelter. “To do so would be improper, and I would risk my knighthood.”

Bard only sighed. His part was done, so he lay beneath the shelter in the leaves that Ridgeline had kicked down. He looked across the fire to see Constance draped over Heart Chase like a blanket. Heart Chase was lying perfectly still, with her eyes open wide in what looked like terror. What could possibly be wrong with her? Was the poor mare in some sort of trouble? He let his magic wander to read Heart’s surface thoughts. He snapped back a moment later.

“Luna’s mercy!” whispered Bard. “No wonder she’s so wound up.” He found himself chuckling at Heart’s pseudo misfortune as he laid his head down to sleep. Ridgeline joined him a moment later, and sat as far away from Bard as possible.

“You do realize the point of shelter was so that we could sleep close and conserve heat, right?” asked Bard. “It’s like you don’t know anything about survival.”

“Shut up,” muttered Ridgeline. “You do nothing but talk.”

“It’s part of what I’m good at,” said Bard, as he moved to Ridgeline’s side. “You sleep on my flank, I’ll sleep on yours. It’s like having a warm pillow.” Ridgeline only grunted. Bard settled down and put his head on the earth pony’s hip. It was like sleeping on a rock. Still, they were both warm enough, and that’s what really mattered at the moment. Bard felt himself drifting off to sleep when Ridgeline spoke up again.

“I should stand guard,” he said. Bard picked up his head and turned to look at the earth pony. His horn sparkled with a soft blue glow and a cloud of shimmering light surrounded Ridgeline’s face. The earth pony collapsed into slumber, and a moment later, he began snoring. Bard buried his head in the leaves and tried to sleep. These ponies would drive him crazy if he let them.

“Thank you,” said Iron Pick. “We’ll lay his body to rest in the morning. Have the quartermaster ready the new armor for myself and the troops. We shall leave for the mountains as soon as my son is buried.” The pony bowed to Iron Pick, and walked down the hall. Iron watched for a minute, and then closed the door behind him.

Iron Pick smiled as door clanked shut. His face hurt, but the good doctor had taken excellent care of him. So much to do, so little time to do it in. He would have to leave ponies here to watch for others, but it was of little concern. If they were still alive, by the time they made it back here he and the army would be long gone, having taken the fight to Celestia’s meager forces.

They would descend from the hills with the thundering of Hell at their hooves. The army of Bridleburg was a thousand ponies strong, new armed, armored, and ready for battle. Though they faced veterans of the Lunar Rebellion, Iron Pick wasn’t concerned. He outnumbered them three to one, and with the reinforcements he had secured, the fight would be brutal and short. He turned round to face Apple Chase, who had sprawled upon his bed in a seductive pose.

“Well, my dear,” he said. “It seems everything has gone according to plan.”

“Pity about Silk,” said Apple Chase. “If it weren’t for him, the Remnants wouldn’t have gotten the best of ‘your’ guards.” Iron Pick had to chuckle as he curled next to Apple Chase.

“A lucky accident,” said Iron Pick. “It’s not like I was aiming for him. Still, it’s just one less way to split the prize.” He smiled at Apple Chase and wrapped his arms around her. “And that worthless husband of yours…”

“Wasn’t even smart enough to run the farm,” said Apple Chase. “I’m glad he’s dead. Now he can’t instill his lessons of failure on my children.” Iron Pick chuckled again.

“I do apologize for having to use this body,” he said. “Once we crush Celestia’s Knights, poor Iron Pick will have to meet with some sort of painful tragedy.” He put a hoof to chin to contemplate. “I’m thinking a landslide. Maybe a cave in where he can smother and consider the error of his way.”

“Prolonged,” said Apple Chase with an approving nod. “Really gives you time to contemplate your failures.” She tossed her arms around Iron Pick. “I’m so glad I met you, Glaive. You’re everything a mare could wish for.”

“And I thank Nightmare Moon for guiding me to you from her prison,” replied Glaive. “Our queen couldn’t let such an apple of opportunity go unpicked. Your ambition and ruthlessness will make you a princess, my dear.” He kissed Apple Chase. “And until our queen returns, we shall rule over Equestria in her stead.”

It was morning before too long. The fog had dissipated quite a bit, but still hung in the early morning air as if to keep away those who would seek out the ponies. Heart Chase was dead set on staying in bed for as long as possible, considering how long it took for her to fall asleep the previous evening. Constance took the opportunity to take an early morning flight above the fog bank, and verify their location. Luckily, they were a lot closer than they had previously guessed, and it knocked a full day off their expected trip.

Bard had floated Heart Chase’s satchel away from her, and was busy shuffling through what gear they had: a couple dozen bits, some gems of various grades, a rudder, a log, an astrolabe, and a glowing stone. It was all a bit disappointing, though it was the stone that interested him most. It had some sort of magic to it, obviously, and the spell attached to it had something to do with the weather. Bard was completely baffled by it, as weather magic was something so far out of the scope of his talents as to be impossible. Still, it might be useful, if they could figure out what the heck it was for. He floated the satchel back next to Heart Chase when she snapped awake.

“And what the heck do yah think yer doin’ goin’ through my stuff?” she asked.

“I needed to see what we had,” said Bard. “If it weren’t for me, you’d have none of that anyway.” Heart Chase glared at the unicorn for a minute before throwing the satchel over her shoulders.

“Don’t go rootin’ through my things,” said Heart Chase. “And don’t’ go rootin’ through my head neither. I got a right to privacy, yah know.” She pointed to the still sleeping Ridgeline. “I saw what yah did to him last night. You pull that sort of stunt again, I’m gonna lay yah out, yah hear me?” Bard only raised an eyebrow at the yellow earth pony.

“Missus Chase, if you so much as look at me the wrong way I’ll have you dancing a jig,” said Bard. “I’m not a pony to be trifled with, and I am here at my own behest. If you want to start getting snippy with me, I’ll simply teleport home and be done with your merry band.” Heart Chase just shook her head.

“If you can teleport, then why didn’t yah mention it last night?” asked Heart Chase. “Take me home, and I’ll make sure yer rewarded fer yer trouble.” She nudged Ridgeline with a hoof. The copper coated pony shot to his feet.

“SIR, YES, SIR,” he barked. He blinked, then looked around. Heart Chase stared at him a moment with a slack jaw. She looked back to Bard, who only shrugged. “Sorry about that, m’lday,” said Ridgeline. “Old habits and all.”

“So, about that teleport?” asked Heart Chase.

“Oh, he can’t do that,” said Ridgeline. “He always said he could just pop off the ship anytime he wanted, but he never did.” It was Bard’s turn to growl at Ridgeline. “Turns out he can’t really do that sort of magic without candles and circles and a whole bunch of other things. Bard isn’t half the magician he boasts that he is.”

“Will you shut up?” demanded Bard. His horn sparkled for a second and the cloud of sleep rolled around Ridgeline’s head. A yellow hoof knocked Bard to the ground with a meteoric punch. After a moment, Bard’s eyes stopped rolling long enough to see Heart Chase standing over him.

“I told yah,” said Heart Chase. “One more spot of magic out of yah against any one of us, and I’ll have Ridgeline buck yah through a tree. Now, if yer gonna come with us, yer gonna play by my rules.” Bard rubbed his jaw in pain.

“Who died and made you Princess?” asked Bard.

“You want this little party to be a democracy?” asked Heart Chase. “Tough. I’m callin’ the shots here, and if yah don’t want any part of it, then yah can just git.” Bard only glared at Heart Chase.

“Fine,” said Bard, as he got to his feet. He started reading Heart Chase’s mind to expose her deepest secrets, but her mind was busy humming a catchy and irritating song that immediately got stuck in Bard’s head instead. She apparently knew more about psychological warfare then she let on. Constance fluttered back to the camp site as the morning fog continued to burn off.

“We’re only about ten miles away from the river,” she said. “Once we hit that, we can try to either book passage upstream, or hike north until we hit a different settlement.” Bard levitated the regional maps from the satchel and looked them over. The nearest settlement on this side of the river was Hackney Cove. They might be able to find river pirates willing to take them that far, or they might all wind up shanghaied again. Either scenario was likely, but with no choice other than walking, they set out toward the cove.

The fog finally lifted as the ponies set out that morning. Heart Chase led the herd with her commanding presence, as Constance flew above checking for landmarks and threats. Bard walked in silence beside Heart Chase, and Ridgeline took up the rear. He was carrying much of the food that they had gathered the previous evening in a makeshift basket that Bard had created from the woven shelter roof. Hopefully, they could spend the evening in a hotel, or even just a stable. Anything was better than sleeping on the ground.

Heart Chase took the time walking to examine what she had with her. She had enough funds to book passage back to Bridleburg, the maps, and other sundries and she could probably sell the brass instrument for a good price as well. They could be back in Bridleburg by tomorrow afternoon. the clouded quartz stone is what concerned her the most. It was obviously magical, but it wasn’t glowing anymore, and when she started to look at it, Bard wouldn’t shut up about it.

Heart Chase almost looked forward to getting rid of Bard; his mouthy arrogance really began to grate on her nerves after the third hour of walking. After shedding his sullen pouting from that morning’s rebuke, Bard was endlessly chatty about the coast, the pirate cove, and anything else he felt he could expound upon at length. As it turned out, he had been sailing since the end of the Lunar Rebellion, and he had visited nearly everything along the southern coast of Equestria. His ability to read minds and implant thoughts had come in handy getting him the easiest jobs aboard ships, and out of any real work. It wasn’t until he had run into Einhorn that his inability to show any sort of respect to authority got him in trouble. As it turned out, his power didn’t work on those who weren’t ponies.

The morning of walking came to a halt a mile or so outside of Hackney Cove. Heart Chase decided it was best to eat lunch out of town so that they could make a quick break for it if trouble arose. Ridgeline passed out the berries and apples they had saved from that morning’s breakfast, and the ponies ate in silence. It was a nice change from Bard’s endless prattling. Constance finished her lunch first and walked to a small puddle that had been left from the high tide. She was fixing her hair.

“I’ve got to look my best,” she said with a wink. “Hackney Cove is where I work, and my friends will all be dying to hear my latest tale of adventure.”

“Miss Constance is a landless noble,” said Ridgeline. “She’s raising an army in this… disreputable city to retake her home.” Ridgeline rolled his eyes. “Really, she should have just asked Celestia’s Knights to help her, but I can see how her noble pride prevents her from doing that.” Heart Chase shot a questioning look at Constance. She flashed a sly smile.

“Oh, Ridgeline,” she said. “You are truly the only pony who understands me. Be a dear, and head into town to announce my arrival at the Swan’s Head.” Ridgeline bowed to the pegasus, and started walking toward the city. Heart Chase only shook her head.

“And what do you really do?” she asked.

“I bring the dance of my people to the areas outside of Stalliongrad,” she said. “I’m a steward of the message of peace and grace from the Gypsies to those who would otherwise never know it.”

“She’s a prostitute,” said Bard with a flippant wave. “She may dance, sure, but it’s for money, and often in the private rooms of those who pay for her company.”

“Consort!” protested Constance. “And what I do for a living is at least honest work, unlike you, you charlatan. If it weren’t for your spells and puppeteering, you’d have blisters on your hooves like the rest of us.” Bard was chastised into silence at the remark.

The trio walked in silence toward the town of Hackney Cove. In the loosest sense of the word it was a town. It had hard packed dirt streets, homes, and ponies living there. It even had shops and businesses. What it lacked was any sort of real government. Weather there just did whatever it pleased, or whatever the pegasi felt it should do that day. Leaves stayed on the few trees that were there, and if there had been snow, it would have melted whenever the sun got around to it. Still, it was full of ponies, a wide variety of other species inhabited the town as well. Ponies walked from place to place, hawking their wares, and. Griffons nested on rooftops, and Hamites roamed the streets looking for things to do. Zebras speckled the crowds, as did donkeys and mules.

Heart Chase was taken aback by such a sight; she had never seen such variety of creatures in her life. At most, she had seen a donkey or two, but they were such pariahs in Bridleburg that no pony ever actually approached them. It was dizzying to realize that she had thus far lived such a sheltered life. Perhaps this trip out of her comfort zone would do her a world of good, especially if she were going to try to rule over creatures that she knew nothing about. She drank in the experience and tried to smile. She began to take in the details, and watched how these non-ponies lived.

They were pretty much like ponies: they worked, they played, and they relaxed. She was sure they wanted the same things that ponies did too: a place to live, food to fill their bellies, and some bits in their pocket. It was what anyone wanted. How they got to that point was what started to cross her mind as they arrived at the Swan’s Head. Ridgeline stood at the door, and opened it for the mares. He walked in behind them, and let the door slam in Bard’s face.