• Published 3rd Oct 2011
  • 5,276 Views, 32 Comments

Children of the Sun - Vanner



What happened to Equestria after Nightmare Moon is banished and Celestia is nowhere to be found?

  • ...
2
 32
 5,276

Where it All Ends

Chapter Two: How It All Ends

To those who didn’t know, the whirlwind romance between Heart Chase and Iron Pick seemed like something out of a fairy tale. They met one night at a fancy dinner party, fell madly in love, and were to be married in the fall. For months, all the town of Bridleburg could talk about was the love that had blossomed between the two ponies, and how the union of the two most powerful families in the region would be nothing but a boon. Congratulations poured in from all corners of Equestria on their impending marriage, and political deals were struck long before vows were ever made.

For those who did know, the reality of the situation was far less fairy tale, and far more horror story. The two ponies knew at once that any relationship between them would be a farce: Heart Chase preferred the company of mares, and Iron Pick was a curmudgeon who had few interests in any pony but his family. Still, they were both family ponies at heart, and they knew that their union, despite being a lie, would bring both of their families the prosperity they deserved. They could agree to disagree on most things, and spend as little time together as was publicly acceptable.

The planning of the ceremony had become a boondoggle all its own. Heart Chase found herself talking with ponies that had jobs she hadn’t known existed. Florists and planners and servants of the Pick house would ask her questions she simply had no idea how to answer. Calligraphers and scribes would ask about invitations and things Heart Chase had never even remotely cared about. She was happy that Red Chase was by her side to help deal with some of this nightmare that her life had become.

Red had taken to the upper crust lifestyle with the same practical efficiency she approached business of the farm. She quickly became accustomed to the ways of the city ponies, and found herself thrust into the plans and dealings of the ruling class. The filly had even garnered herself the attentions of a Quill for her shrewd dealings with the silver tongued snakes that resided at the top of the political heap. Despite their age difference, a fast friendship had emerged between them, and both Iron Pick and Heart Chase found themselves wishing that they could put those two together rather than themselves.

Still, the politics of the region dictated that there was no escaping their union. They were to be married, and the bond forged between them would unite the Bridleburg Valley into its own state. Everypony in the valley stood to benefit from the declaration, but Canterlot would not let them go peacefully. Already an army was being raised to fight the inevitable civil war. Canterlot’s tattered forces would attempt to move into the area and restore their Equestrian rule. Bridleburg, rich in pony power and resources, would easily crush the forces, and start their own sovereignty. And it all started with this wedding.

Heart Chase stood and stared into the mirror before her. She hadn’t ever expected to see herself in the whites of a bride, but it looked good on her. Her orange mane had been braided and adorned with white flowers, then wrapped in a crown of hair around her head. New sandals made from polished steel adorned her yellow fetlocks, and a veil of finest gossamer hung before her blue eyes. Today was the day it all happened. Today was the day she became a traitor to Equestria, and a hero to those who would be her subjects. She looked back at her bridal party with a concerned glance. Red Chase was there, as was Apple Chase, both wearing the subtle pink of a bridesmaid.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” asked Apple Chase. “I know you don’t love him, and that you’re doing this so we can all live better. I know you’re doing the right thing, but you’re putting yourself in terrible danger.” She looked around with an apprehensive glance. “I’ve heard that war will come to us if we secede from Equestria and that our biggest threat won’t be Celestia’s knights, but the Lunar Republic.”

“That‘s not for yah to worry about,” said Heart Chase. She nuzzled her sister with a smile. “Yer job is to take care of your children, run the farm, and keep every pony happy as best yah can. Yah let me handle the big picture, Apple. I’ll take care of us all, just like I promised Daddy.”

“I certainly hope so,” said Apple Chase. “I never thought that I’d see you married, let alone to a Pick.”

“It’s a sham, and you know it,” said Red Chase. Her pretty red mane had been done up in a bouffant that irritated the young mare to no end. “Quill and I can just get married. That’ll solve everything, and you won’t have to crawl in bed with that old stallion. I don’t mind Quill, he’s a real nice pony. I might even grow to love him some day.” Heart Chase had to snicker at her niece. She put a hoof around Red’s shoulder.

“You go ahead and do that if you still feel that way next year,” said Heart Chase. “But this is what needs to be done here and now to assert our independence from Equestria. Iron Pick isn’t a young stallion and his line of succession goes right through Quill. If that’s what you want, then you’ll make a wonderful queen someday.” Heart Chase kissed her niece’s cheek with a smile. “But it’s on my shoulders to be start this revolution, my dear Red. You’ll just have to wait your turn.” Music floated in through the open windows to signal the start of the wedding. Heart Chase looked out of the rectory and toward the chapel. It was now or never.

Along the shores of the Dame River, the preparations continued for the reception. Tents had been set up to house the hundreds of guests that were arriving from all of Equestria, and tables had been lined with the bounty of harvest from the year. Dozens of members of both the Pick and Chase families worked together to ensure the arriving guests from both near and far would have the spectacular food and accommodations they had come to expect.

Ponies had begun to arrive earlier in the day from as far as Stalliongrad bearing gifts and tiding of joy from their far away locales. Others were coming in from far less distant places, though their journey had been hampered by the creeping progression of the Everfree Forest. Still, the mood at the reception festival was that of peace and joy. Though the undercurrent of worry was still present, ponies were willing to put aside their feelings of unease to celebrate the union of two ponies who would bring to each other a life of joy and completion.

Back at the chapel, Heart Chase, flanked by her sister and niece, walked toward the chapel amidst the melodic chords of the pipe organ. It was a beautiful day for a fall wedding; the last hints of summer heat nipped at the heels of autumn chill. Celestia’s sun shone in the sky as if to offer it’s blessings to the union of two families, though Heart Chase was sure that did not.

As Apple Chase and Red Chase sauntered up the aisle toward the altar, Heart thought she heard what sounded like the clanking of metal scales. Metal scales on chain. She perked her head up and looked around. None of the stallions that stood guard at the entrance seemed to have heard it. It might have just been a figment of her imagination. Heart Chase had to chuckle to herself. Here she was, so worked up about her wedding that she was hearing ghosts. Familiar chords began blaring from the pipe organ, signaling to Heart Chase that it was time to make her own journey down the aisle. She took a deep breath, and stepped into the chapel.

The chapel was a magnificent fusion of form and style that Bridleburg construction had become famous for. Carved from solid sheets of limestone, the walls towered two stories into the air and inlaid on the stone were filigree edgings that spiraled up the walls to the edges of the ceiling. The ceiling itself was half covered in a fresco of Celestia raising the sun while the other half was conspicuously blank. Dustings of purple plaster hinted at what may have once been there. Stained glass windows that depicted ponies working in the mines and fields lit the chapel as the morning sun rose over Bridleburg Valley and the far wall was covered in a stained glass rendition of Celestia raising the sun as ponies bowed before her.

Heart Chase found it ironic that a ceremony that was such an insult to the Princess’s reign should be held in such a place that glorified her name and visage. It almost made her reconsider the whole thing, until she reminded herself that this was all for the greater good. Everypony would benefit, including herself. She came at last to the altar where Iron Pick stood waiting for her.

Iron Pick was an imposing unicorn, and not just physically. He stood nearly a full head taller that Heart Chase, and though his charcoal coat had grayed around the edges, he stood in command of the entire room without saying a word. His grey mane fell around his horn in a short styling the meant business, and the unadorned pick on his flank was a symbol of his pure power. He was clearly not a pony to be trifled with.

In front of the two ponies stood Sound Cloud. As the pastor of this cathedral, he was obligated, despite his protests, to conduct the ceremony. He only hoped that his worst fears were unfounded and that the union of these two unlikely ponies was the product of true love and admiration rather than some shady political dealing. He briefly remembered a conversation shared with a traveling monk about the union, and how the monk had assured him that such a relationship wouldn’t last. Since Sound Cloud was the only pony in Bridleburg able to grant a divorce, they were stuck with each other whether they loved each other or not.

“Dearly beloved,” began Sound Cloud. “We are gathered here today in the sight of our princess and goddess Celestia to request these two ponies be joined in the sacred and unbreakable vows of matrimony. Take not this journey lightly, ponies, for what Celestia may put together, no pony but Death shall tear apart.”

The ceremony and homily continued in the same heavy hoofed style for nearly an hour. It wasn’t that Sound Cloud truly believed that the marriage of these two ponies was the harbinger of destruction for the kingdom; he had always preached that way. Still, by the time the service had wrapped up, every pony in attendance was desperate for a drink. As they got into their carriage, Heart Chase was kind enough to share the flask concealed in her garter with her new husband.

“Well that was certainly an interesting hour,” said Iron Pick, as he took a swig from the flask. “I don’t seem to remember the last wedding being quite that preachy.”

“Well, you know ol’ Sound Cloud,” said Heart Chase. “Can’t help but hear himself talk.” She put her head out the window to breathe deep the crisp fall air. The scent of leaves and sap filled the perfect day with cheer of harvest that was soon to come.

The sounds of the carriage were drowned out the noise of celebration as it drove through the city of Bridleburg. Throngs of ponies threw rice and flowers at the couple as they passed. Ponies of all stripes cheered the new couple, and the dawning of a new era for the region. Ponies in armor stood at every corner to clear the way for the carriage, and already ponies were beginning to bow. The reality of it all began to sink in as they crested the hill overlooking Chase Family Farms.

In the valley below was a city of tents. A massive tent had been erected in the southern field to house the festivities; clearly the barn kitchen wasn’t going to cut it for the hundreds of guests. Surrounding it were other tents made for drinking, relaxing, reception, and whatever else it was that one did at a wedding of this magnitude. Heart Chase was a bit flummoxed at the size of it all, and found a small part of her wishing that this entire wedding hadn’t just been a scheme to better the lives of every pony in the region.

The carriage came to a halt outside of a small white tent. The driver opened the door for the newlyweds, and ushered them to the booth where a unicorn wearing a smock awaited them. The unicorn arranged the couple a moment before he levitated a piece of charcoal.

“Perfect!” he announced. “Please hold still, this will take a few moments.”

Ten minutes later, the sketch of the couple had been completed, and they were allowed to relax. With great flourish he began to paint, pausing occasionally to gaze out at the happy couple. Only they didn’t seem too happy; they seemed nervous. Wedding night jitters, perhaps? The unicorn chuckled to himself. A nervous couple on their wedding day was always the sure sign of a happy marriage in the making. The artist finished his portrait in the span of an hour, and presented it to the new couple with a bow.

“For you, Mr. and Mrs. Pick,” he said. “May it hang in your home for years to come.”

The two ponies left the tent under the escort of several armored stallions. They had been nervous earlier as they both heard the rustle of metal scales on the wind. Despite Iron Pick’s age, his senses were still sharp enough to pick out a threat from a mile away, and there was definitely trouble afoot. Still, it was to be a happy occasion, and there was no reason to cause panic among the guests. Pick set his ponies out to patrol the edges of the festivities, and to raise alarm should they find anything.

By this time, the afternoon of cheer had faded into an evening of celebration. It seemed as if a thousand ponies had gathered here on the Chase Family Farms to congratulate the happy couple. Many were there simply to deliver well wishes, while others were there simply to be seen at the social event of the year. Heart Chase barely recognized most of them, and inexplicably wished to be back in the fields. She looked at her steel clad hooves and realized that she was in her fields.

This was her life now. No more digging; no more planting. There were politics to be played for the betterment of all those who were willing to work for it. As the sun set on the reception, so rose the moon of the new regime. It would take months to draft the papers, to play the politics, and truly become that which the ponies had come to expect of her, but it all started here. Heart Chase looked to the rising moon and smiled as she and Iron Pick walked toward into the grand tent. Spread before them were the happy faces of family and friends, dignitaries and diplomats, all eager to applaud the dawn of a new era. Sound Cloud stepped forward ahead of the couple, and cleared his throat.

“Announcing for the first time,” called Sound Cloud, “Mr and Mrs. Iron Pick.” The ground rumbled with the thundering stomps of a hundred approving ponies as cheers and well wishes sprang forth from the gathered crowd. Iron Pick and Heart Chase could only smile as they moved toward their tables. Quill, Silk, Apple, and Red were already awaiting them. The brothers greeted their father with a bow and their new stepmother with a kiss on the cheek. They sat at last to enjoy the meal that the families had prepared for them.

Dinner itself was filled with the joyous conversation and the thoughts of the romance that had blossomed between the happy couple. The clanging of horns of glasses forced the two to kiss far more often than they would have liked, but they were here to give to the dignitaries and their families a reason to celebrate. The true political posturing would come after the honeymoon.

In the Dame River, a ship awaited to take the happy couple to out to sea and around the coast to the lands of the zebras. There, they were to meet with others who would begin the revolution, and scatter the already tattered remnants of the Canterlot forces. Within the year, Stalliongrad, Bridleburg, and Equestria would all be their separate countries with their own separate destinies. It was a brave new world out there; they simply had to make it through the night to be the catalyst that the world needed to change. But lurking in the shadows were those who sought an entirely different change.

Just up the river, a barge floated toward the reception in darkened silence. A hundred soldiers were aboard, earth pony, pegasus, and unicorn alike, all dressed in the blue leather plates of the Lunar Rebellion. There was no discussion, no prayers for battle; only the grim silence of focus. As the barge rounded a bend in the river, the unicorn standing atop the bow waved his horn, and filled the river banks with a fog. A pony cloaked in the shadows of evening saw the signal and ordered his score of troops forward.

In the fields outside the reception lie the bodies of the guards that had gone out to investigate the noises that Iron Pick and Heart Chase had heard. Their armor had been stripped and taken as disguise from the creeping forces of the Lunar Rebels while their bodies were left to rot in the fields of wheat beyond. Now, as the evening of celebration wore on and the free flowing wine clouded the judgment of every pony, the forces of opposition placed themselves among the crowd, and waited for a signal. Those in the tent had only vaguely been aware that guards had moved up to surround them; they were instead focused on the speech of Quill.

“And finally to Heart Chase,” said Quill. “I don’t know you as well as I should and I’m sorry for that. I’m glad to have met you, and I believe that this marriage is the herald of a great new era for our families. I’m proud to call you my step-mother, and I welcome to chance for us to grow as family and as friends.” The audience stamped their feet, and filled the tent with applause. Heart Chase walked over to Quill, and hugged her step-son.

“Thank you, Quill,” she said. “I glad that you’re family now.” She hugged Silk as well, and kissed both their cheeks.

“And now,” announced Iron Pick, “If my wonderful wife will join me for our first dance?” Heart Chase trotted from the platform to meet her husband on the soft earth floor of the tent. They stood face to face as the band behind them struck up a slow waltz.

A dance between ponies was always a thing to behold and the dance between two lovers even more so. Quill Pick and Heart Chase were both excellent dancers and they moved with the grace of the winds as they waltzed around the dance floor. They stepped together in perfect harmony, as if they were made to be together. It made Heart Chase sad that she could never love Iron Pick the way he deserved. He may have been gruff and seemingly cold hearted, but underneath it all was a soul that wanted the best for his family. In that way, Heart Chase and Iron Pick were perfect for each other. Were they closer in age, or indeed even if Heart Chase could give her love to a stallion, this wedding would have been more than a show. It would have been real love. Iron Pick stepped forwards a moment and whispered into his wife’s ear.

“We’re going to be attacked,” he said. As if one of the false guards saw him whisper, the tent descended into chaos.

Explosions rocked the tent as the false guards struck first with magic. The tent began to burn as one of the earth ponies took torch to the fabric and in a moment, the tent became a wall of flame. Iron Pick dashed in front of Heart Chase and shot a bolt of magic from his horn that blasted aside the false guard ponies from the exit. Quill and Silk were at their father’s side in a second, ready to defend.

“Get Red and Apple!” demanded Iron Pick. “Meet us at the ship. Let no one stand in your way!” Heart Chase and Iron Pick dashed for the opening made by Iron’s magic as the tent burned around them. Outside the main tent, fires burned throughout the farm and from the river came the charging herd of soldiers clad in the night blue armor of the Lunar Rebellion. Heart Chase’s eyes went wide with shock.

The field had become a slaughterhouse. Ponies lay in the dirt, killed by the magic and bladed hooves of the army that advanced on them. Some guests struggled valiantly with the creeping army, but found themselves stabbed in the back by those ponies who were supposed to be protecting them.

Iron Pick and Heart Chase galloped through the fields and over the bodies of their friends and relatives. There was no time to mourn their loss; now there was only survival. Iron Pick blasted his way through a group of soldiers with another explosive spell when a face among the soldiers caught his eye.

Standing at the rear of the herd of soldiers was a towering stallion of sky blue. His white mane had been cropped close, and his body was covered in steel blue plates of the Lunar Rebellion. Emblazoned upon the rear of his armor was a pole axe. The stallion turned to stare directly at Iron Pick.

Iron Pick nearly froze in terror. How that pony managed to survive the Rebellion was a question best left unanswered. He shook off his fear and turned to see Quill, Silk, Red, and Apple charging through the line toward the boat. He slowed to let them catch up.

“Dear goddess, get them out of here,” said Iron Pick. “There is no saving our family now; Death has come to us, and his name is Glaive.” As if his name were taboo, the stallion turned to face the herd of fleeing ponies. He simply nodded, and charged for them.

With the squad of ten armored stallions bearing down on them, the bridal party doubled their speed. The closer they came to the boat, the closer the chasing squad closed on them. Iron Pick turned and lobbed a bolt of magic at the onrushing squad. The horn of a Glaive flared and captured the bolt in a slow spin around his horn. The bolt of magic flared with a massive light and fired back at Iron Pick.

The bolt of magic struck the ground in front of Iron Pick, and hurled the bridal party through the air. Most of them landed in the river; Heart Chase crashed through the deck of the ship. From his vantage in the sky, Iron Pick saw where every pony landed and prayed they would be safe.

He fell to the ground with a sickening crunch of bone before the on rushing stallions. They slowed to a halt and encircled the broken pony. Glaive stepped forward with a grin. His smile was filled with pointed teeth.

“You didn’t send me an invitation, old friend,” said Glaive. He kicked Iron Pick in the stomach. The charcoal unicorn could only gag and sputter. “I helped you get where you are today and you didn’t even think to invite me to your wedding? Without me, you’d have just been part of the nameless rabble of the war. Bad form, Commander Pick. Bad form.” Several of the other armored stallions dragged Iron to his feet so that Glaive could look his ‘friend’ in the eyes. “You think that just because the Rebellion failed that we disappeared? You’re not as dumb as that, Commander. You could have come to me; I would have supported your bid for royalty.”

“I would sooner die than have a traitor like you by my side,” spat Iron Pick.

“Oh, but you too are a traitor,” said Glaive. “I saw through your plan; every pony in Canterlot did. Not very clever marrying a girl like her. You just couldn’t make it less obvious could you? Had to go for the spectacle; had to have everything now. You always were a brash pony.” Glaive chuckled and waved over another pony. “The forces of Celestia are coming here now to put an end to your little coup. It would be a shame were they to simply march through unopposed. I want you to be alive to witness the magnitude of your failure. Your pretty wife, well, maybe not so much.” Glaive pointed his horn at the boat and fired a blast at the mooring lines. The side of the ship caught fire as it pin wheeled downstream.

The pony that Glaive had gestured to came forth. His coat was white, but spattered with blood. In his mane were tangled the instruments of a doctor, but with him, they looked to be horrible implements of torture. The maniacal grin plastered across his face said more about the pony’s mental health than any pony would care to admit.

“Bonestitch,” said Glaive. “See that Iron Pick is well taken care of. He will be useful to me shortly.” Glaive stopped, and looked out onto the slaughter that had beset the field. An idea struck him, one that required Iron Pick be alive and well. “Shadow Box, call back our forces.”

“Sir?” asked the dark coated earth pony. Glaive turned to his lieutenant and smiled with his pointed teeth.

“The Lunar Republic shall rise after all,” said Glaive, “and with it, the return of our queen. Hail Nightmare Moon, children of the night. Today begins a new era, and we have Iron Pick to thank for it.”