• Published 3rd Oct 2011
  • 5,276 Views, 32 Comments

Children of the Sun - Vanner



What happened to Equestria after Nightmare Moon is banished and Celestia is nowhere to be found?

  • ...
2
 32
 5,276

Brother Against Brother

Chapter Sixteen: Brother Against Brother

As the caravan walked into the sun rise, Iron Pick stopped to doff his helm and really look at the city of Canterlot. Untouched by the Lunar Rebellion, it stood as a glorious monument to the arts and architecture of ponies from all over Equestria. From the Hoofswell marble spires, to the Bridleburg granite walls, the city seemed to sing with the harmony of a united Equestria.

Underneath the glamour and beauty of the city were the dark undercurrents of political dealings that had brought Iron Pick and indeed the entire civil war to its doorstep. Inside the city’s walls were the ponies that decided that path of Equestria. Ponies who wanted to be Celestia, and rule the country in their vision. Iron Pick used to be one of those ponies; now he just wanted the fighting to stop.

Surrounding the outside gates of Canterlot were half a dozen Knight of Celestia, each armored in the crested bronze helms of the sun goddess. As the donkeys approached, they formed a barrier into the city. Iron Pick stepped forward, and bowed to the soldiers.

Upon seeing the distinctive armor of Glaive, the ponies immediately surrounded Iron Pick and called for reinforcements. Within seconds, a dozen more ponies of all races had arrived and stood threatening the donkeys with their bladed boots. Iron Pick only held up his hooves in surrender.

“I come bearing news of grave importance,” said Iron Pick. “The army of Bridleburg marches toward Canterlot as we speak. As a sign of good faith, I have brought weapons stolen from Bridleburg in order to defend Canterlot. I will speak to General Cherry Snap about what I know, and I will speak only to him.”

“General Cherry Snap is dead,” spat one of the ponies. “And I know who you are; I’d recognize that armor anywhere. You’re Glaive, the butcher of the Everfree Castle.”A murmur ran through the guards ponies that sounded a lot a suggestion to just kill him where he stood. He raised his hooves in surrender again.

“I am not who I appear to be,” said Iron Pick. “If you’ll just…”

A hoof to the back of the head sent Iron Pick to the ground in a heap. A massive grey earth pony slung the unconscious unicorn over his back, and marched off into the city with his prisoner. The remainder of the Knights secured the donkeys in irons, and marched them toward the city prision for questioning and processing. The few that were left lifted the tarps on the wagons to reveal pieces of siege engines, and ammunition.

“You think he was telling the truth?” asked one of the knights.

“Hell of a thing to lie about, don’t you think?” asked the other.

The basement sighed with a rush of arctic air as the four ponies popped into being. Bard sparked his horn to shed light on the basement. He looked around a moment at the cobwebbed walls of the root cellar; they had grown thick with roots, and spiders as large as a hoof scurried away from the appearing ponies. Bard walked up the stone staircase to the rotten door

The house was nothing like he remembered it. Long gone were the fineries of the home that once he knew, only to be replaced with the incursion of the Everfree Forest. What little sun there was filtering through the trees shone through the shattered glass of the north windows. Covering the floors and stone furniture were a fine layer of moss that deadened every sound the ponies made as they came into the home. Bard looked around for a moment, and walked outside.

Around the home were the depths of the Everfree forest. Tree that had been saplings but a year ago stood full size, and dared anyone to try to encroach on their territory. Vines grew about the outside of the house, and roots pushed up the stone walk that lead to a small path through the forest. The sounds of the forest echoed around the ponies as they began to walk.

“I grew up here,” said Bard. “Just outside of a tiny town called Ponyville. We’ll be passing through it in about an hour, but there’s really nothing there of interest. Unless you count my mother.”

“I thought your dad was a diplomat?” asked Constance. “Why didn’t you live in Everfree City?”

“Because this was halfway between Canterlot and the Everfree Castle,” said Bard. “Now it’s inside the Everfree forest, and soon to be reclaimed by the land.” He looked back to the home as a swath of shingles fell from the roof. “Going to have to find a new spot to teleport to.”

The ponies walked in silence for a half an hour till they came to the edge of the woods, and into the clearing above the village of Ponyville. Below them were the dozen or so houses that made up the town, including one that Bard said he needed to visit before going on to Canterlot. The ponies agreed, and they trotted into the town.

Ponyville was a simple village, really. Dirt roads, simple farms, a single inn that served as a general store for the ponies of the village were all that occupied the hamlet. The town had no claim to fame other than its annual Winter Wrap up event. That a pony from the outside world could be from here was surprise enough, but that ponies like Bard and Glaive came from such humble beginnings seemed impossible. The herd walked through the streets till they came at last to a tiny house along the road to Canterlot. Bard knocked, and let himself inside.

Curled napping in a rocking chair was a mare who’s sky blue coat and grey mane were distinctly familiar. To anyone looking at the two unicorns, it was obvious who the elderly mare was. Bard again knocked on the doorframe to awaken the mare. She sat up and blinked at the ponies.

“Huh? Who is…” she squinted a bit as her eyes came to focus. What she saw was a sky blue unicorn flanked by a pegasus and two Celestian Knights. She jumped to her feet as every loose object in the room levitated off the floor. “I knew this day would come! Equestria’s falling apart and all you have time for is harassing an old mare for being a cook?”

“Mom, no!” said Bard. “Put that stuff down. These are my friends. They’re not really Knights; they just borrowed the armor. Heart Chase, Constance, Ridgeline; this is Glittershine, my mother.” The elderly mare glared at Ridgeline and Heart Chase for a moment before setting the room back in place.

“Friends, eh?” asked the Mare. “Well, come on in then. Have you dears had lunch yet?” With the stiffness of arthritis slowing her walk to just short of a shuffle, she walked into the kitchen to prepare carrots and tubers for the ponies.

“I’m afraid we can’t really stay,” said Bard. “I just wanted to stop by and say hello since I was in the area.”

“And what are you doing here?” asked the mare. “Picking up the act again? Your brother will be so happy to hear that. I think I still have your cape and hat in storage. Oh, it’ll be so wonderful to see you two together again performing for ponies the world over.” She beamed with delight as she filled plates with food. “And these ponies are part of your troupe?” She spotted Constance’s bandanna and distinctive earrings. “And a gyspy! Oh my stars and garters, I haven’t seen a gypsy in almost twenty years. I thought your kind was all but gone from Equestria.”

“No, ma’am,” said Constance. “We’ve taken to the seas and the tropics since the war, but we’re still around.”

Bard’s mother ushered the ponies into the kitchen against their will and heaped food in front of them. She peppered them with questions about how their travels were going, and what sort of act they were putting together. For the most part she ignored their insistence that they weren’t a troupe, and told them at length how wonderful it was that her sons were getting the show back together. She regaled the ponies with embarrassing stories of the brother’s misdeeds, and of Bard’s accident prone childhood. The unicorn stood there in angry silence as she talked for nearly an hour about how much the brothers loved each other, and how, even though they always roughhoused, they still made a great act together.

Bard eventually excused himself from the table, and walked outside to his mother’s garden. When he didn’t come back after a few minutes, Constance followed him outside to find the unicorn pulling weeds with his teeth. Constance blinked a few times at seeing Bard do anything by hoof. She trotted up to him with a reassuring smile.

“It’s not that bad,” said Constance. “We’ve all got embarrassing parents. Did I ever tell you the time…”

“It’s not about that,” snapped Bard. “She’s just so blind sometimes. Every one of those funny stories, every tidbit about Glaive and I getting into trouble? Nine times out of ten Glaive was trying to kill me. He always got away with it because Dad was too busy trying to make ends meet, and Mom is just… well she’s Mom. She doesn’t want to see that her sons has become a murderer.” He tore another weed from the garden. “You know she was with us in the early days of the Rebellion? She cooked for the troops. Not because she believed in Nightmare Moon’s message, but because she wanted to make sure every pony to have a warm bed and a hot meal. I sent her home once the fighting started because I knew that the war was going to change us all. I didn’t want that for her. She loves everyone, no matter what they believe, or who they are, or even what they’ve done.” He grabbed at another weed and tore it from the ground. “I love my mom, but that she can just gloss over what’s Glaive’s done with his life…”

“That’s what a mother’s supposed to do,” said Constance. “That’s actually what all ponies are supposed to do. You said it yourself: we’re herd creatures, we need each other to survive. It’s kind of sad that our generation has lost sight of that and we revel in killing each other instead of being friends.” Bard stopped pulling weeds and listened to what Constance was saying. “I don’t know how this is going to end, and I know Heart Chase and Quill and Iron Pick all want to see Glaive dead for what he’s done, but there’s always a chance you can save him.” Bard shook his head with a defeated sigh.

“I don’t know,” said Bard. “He and I traveled together for years, but I couldn’t tell you what happened to change everything. We got along when we were kids, but he just started hating me after a while. Sure, we were a good act together, and so long as we stayed away from each other outside the shows, we were fine.” He shook his head. “But when we learned of the Lunar Rebellion, he jumped at the chance to fight. He seemed so proud that he was going do something other than being a stage magician.” Bard just sighed. “I just don’t know. Maybe he had something to prove. Maybe he thought dad wasn’t proud of us. Maybe my brother really is a lunatic. Whatever it is, I’ve got to stop him.”

“You mean we’ve got to stop him,” said Constance. “Didn’t Muffins teach you anything? We’re friends, and friends stick together.” She ruffled his mane with a wing. “Besides you still owe me money.”

“I suppose you’re right,” said Bard as he looked into the sky. The sun was just past noon, and the chill of September was picking up in the winds. “We’d better get going if we want to make Canterlot by dusk. There’s no telling how far away Glaive’s army is, and that’s about the last thing I want to run into on the road.”

They left Glittershine’s cottage after thanking the mare for the lunch and stories. With Canterlot in sight, the ponies cantered along the mountain roads that lead from Ponyville to the capital. They were about halfway there when they came upon another group of travelers headed to the capital. The ranks of that herd were made of two dozen mules and donkeys that had gathered up their farm tools, and donned whatever protection they could find in order to march to the capital. Bard slowed to a walk, and approached the mule leading the herd. His name was Cabrera.

“Where are you going with this herd?” asked Bard.

“There’s an army approaching,” said Cabrera. “I met a unicorn last night that told me about it. Come to think of it, he looked a lot like you, but he was wearing this dark armor. Looked like a Rebel if you ask me. He could have been your brother, actually.”

“It probably was,” said Bard. “Where was he headed?”

“Same place we are, but he had a dozen donkeys hauling carts,” said Cabrera. “I gathered up who was willing to fight and assembled a militia. Ponyville’s not going to be a target, so I figured we might as well aide the capital while it’s still standing.” Bard only nodded, and the ponies joined the herd of militia headed to the capital.

The city of Canterlot came into view as the herd rounded a mountain pass. The city had been built along the edge of a cliff of marble and stone from all over Equestria. The high city walls stood as a barrier to the world as the knights lining the parapets stared into the valley below. Behind the walls were the spires and towers of the city, all teeming with the life and commerce that made Canterlot the spectacle of unicorn engineering praised the world over. Further still at the edge of the cliff lay the palace where Celestia had locked herself away from the world. The herd slowed to a halt as the city gate closed, and a rank of Knights approached the herd.

“What is the meaning of this?” asked the unicorn. “You there, Knights. Why are you traveling with this rabble?” Ridgeline and Heart Chase turned to look at each other. Was he talking to them? He was, and they both fumbled for answers a moment before Heart Chase took charge.

“These here irregulars have volunteered to fight against the invadin’ army coming in from the east,” said Heart Chase. “They’re from Ponyville and the surroundin’ areas, and they ain’t willin’ to let Canterlot to fall.”

“This is the second report of an army approaching from the east,” said the Knight. “I thought Bridleburg forces had stopped at Everfree City, but apparently they mean to take the capital.” He looked up at the troops, and spotted Bard among their ranks. He pointed a hoof at him. “Who is that unicorn?”

“His name is Bard,” said Heart Chase. “Used to be a magician, now he’s travelin’ with me. Why?” The knight looked again at Heart Chase, this time with a far more skeptical eye. After a moment, he looked at Ridgeline.

“Wait a minute, I know you,” said the Knight. “You’re that berserker. Who’d you kill to get that armor?”

“I didn’t kill anypony,” said Ridgeline. “I was loaned the armor by…”

“A likely story,” said the Knight. “Seize these ponies. Take the irregulars and integrate them with the milita and the donkeys that were taken into custody last night.” The knights moved in to surround the four ponies. “Put them with Glaive. We’ll have to bring in the Inquisitor.”

The army of Bridleburg rolled through the Everfree forest like a boulder down a hill, cutting through the dense forest in a massive swath fueled by fire and unicorn magic. Every pony was tired of marching, but as the sun began to set, they came at last to the edge of the forest. Glaive signaled a halt, and the troops happily came to a stop inside the woods.

As he looked out into the sloping plains of Ponyville, Glaive caught sight of Canterlot Castle in the atop the mountain in the distance, and smiled. Ahead lie the prize of a nation, just as Nightmare Moon promised all those years ago. Tonight they would rest. Tomorrow the city would fall beneath the hooves of the Lunar Rebellion.

Truthfully, he was looking forward to being done once and for all with the fighting. So many wars over the years had drained Equestria’s spirit and ponies everywhere were at each other’s throats for the most petty of things. With the rise of the Lunar Republic and a strong leader like Glaive, the fighting would end. With no more fighting. Celestia would return from her exile. Then would come the hard part. Glaive felt a shudder of terror roll down his spine as he thought about what awaited him.

Even if he was the most powerful mage in Equestria, taking on Celestia head to head would be dangerous, and there was no guarantee of success if she was prepared. What Glaive really needed was his body back. This old stallion’s frame wasn’t really up for such a draining task, and he was growing tired of waking up every morning in pain. He stared out of woods and into the city of Canterlot.

If he knew Iron Pick at all, he’d be there, though if he’d been dumb enough to go in like the diplomat he was, he was probably under arrest. Glaive had to chuckle. Even with all the aggravation of this old form, at least this body wasn’t a wanted criminal. Not yet anyway. He almost didn’t hear the pony coming up behind him.

“Sir,” said the caramel coated earth pony. “I’ve received a message from Daisy Lane.” Glaive floated the scroll to up to his face, and read it quickly. He smiled, and began to laugh. Just as expected, Iron Pick had gone in like a hero and tried to save Equestria. Glaive sighed with joy at the message, then turned to the earth pony.

“I am headed to Canterlot to change things up, if you know what I mean,” said Glaive. “You have full control of the army, Caramel. If Stalliongrad forces are on time, they should be ready to converge with our troops at dusk tomorrow.”

“Understood,” said Carmel Snack. “What shall I ask to make sure it’s you?” Glaive thought for a moment as he stared out at the hamlet of Ponyville below. A glimpse of a small cottage caught his eye.

For a moment, it was twenty years ago. Two brothers stood atop this same hill staring into the valley below. They had stayed out late to watch the meteor shower, and catch flakes of the falling stars that fell upon them like snow. All seemed at peace for the brothers as they fell asleep together on the hillside. In the morning, Bard had awoken his brother, and together, hoof over shoulder, they watched the sun rise over the mountains. Mother had been angry at them for not coming home, but even after all the added chores, it had been worth it to see it all. It was right before Father had become a diplomat, and everything changed. It was the last time he remembered being happy with his family. He still carried with him those flakes of star metal that had fallen from the heavens. Glaive shook his head to drive out the memories.

“Sir?” asked Carmel Snack.

“Oh, right, the question,” said Glaive. “Ask me ‘Who is your mother?’”

“And the answer, sir?” asked Carmel Snack.

“Her name is Glittershine.”

The rough cut limestone walls glistened with moisture as the early morning sun poured in through the slits that could generously be called windows. The basement of city hall had been hollowed out into a dungeon of sorts to hold the criminal scum of Canterlot, but since ponies weren’t given to criminal tendencies, the jail was empty save for its five recent guests. The ponies sat in two cells across from each other, the mares in one, the stallions in the other, and Iron Pick occupying his own cell. Heart Chase punched at the wall in frustration.

“This is a buncha horse apples!” she complained. “Here we are tryin’ to save Equestria, and they throw us in jail? Where’s the justice?”

“No good deed goes unpunished,” sighed Bard. “I wonder what their plan is here.” Iron Pick only groaned. Again, he’d suffered a beating at the hands of his captors, and again, he lay upon the floor of his cell. He had never really thought about how terrible it was to be a wanted criminal, and he was glad that he’d lived his life on a fairly straight and narrow path. He rolled into the sunlight and tried to keep warm. Heart Chase continued her tirade about the Knights until the rattle of keys sent her into silence. The clopping of two sets of hooves came down the stairs at the far end of the hallway. Bard reached out with his magic to see who was coming. His mind touched the mare first. She was thinking about how old Glaive looked in that old body he had borrowed.

Bard nearly jumped out of his skin. He waved his horn and with a shimmer of sunlight, he and Heart Chase faded from view. Daisy Lane and Glaive, still in Iron Pick’s body, walked past the cells. Glaive gave them a cursory glance but he saw only Constance and Ridgeline. He paid them no mind as he walked past them and to the cell of Iron Pick.

Heart Chase, don’t move. It’s Glaive. I’ve made us invisible, but it only works if you don’t move. Just stay still, no matter what happens.

“You just couldn’t stay where you were put?” asked Glaive. “This all would have been so much easier if you had just stayed home. Now I’ve got a whole bunch of your loose ends to clean up, in addition to all the other things I have to do to bring peace to Equestria.” He nodded to Daisy Lane, who unlocked the cell door.

Glaive and Daisy Lane stepped inside the cell. With a wave of his horn, Glaive lifted Iron Pick from the floor, and pried open his eyes. They locked eyes for a moment as Glaive began muttering in what seemed like nonsense. Iron Pick felt himself slipping away, and suddenly he was looking at Glaive’s body again. He blinked in surprise. Sure he was old again, but he was back in his body and that’s what really mattered. A hoof to the back of the head sent him to the ground.

“Ugh…” groaned Glaive. “I thought I told you to keep this body in good shape.”

“Sorry, sir,” replied the earth pony. “I’m guessing some of the veterans got wind that you were down here and gave him a working over.”

“No matter,” said Glaive. “Bonesaw will fix me up as he always has. As for this piece of filth…” Glaive again lifted Iron Pick, and slammed him against the wall. “I’m thinking I should kill him before he causes any more problems. Blame it on that massive stallion in the next cell. What do you think?” He turned to Daisy Lane who was staring into space. “I said what do you think?”

Without replying, she lashed out with a jerky but powerful swing that knocked the unicorn off his feet. A kick to the head later, and Glaive lay unconcious on the floor of the dungeon cell. Daisy Lane walked as if on puppet strings to the other cells and unlocked them.

“Ridgeline, I know you’re loathe to hit a woman,” she said to the copper coated stallion. “But if you’d make an exception for this one?” Ridgeline nodded and clobbered the mare with a right hoof that sent her to the ground. Bard stepped from his shroud of invisibility, and shook his head.

“Well that went better than planned,” said Bard. He levitated her keys, and unlocked the mare’s cell. Heart Chase pushed open the door, and shoved her way past everypony to see Iron Pick getting to his feet.

“Iron Pick?” she asked. The charcoal unicorn turned to look at his wife.

“I’m glad to be back in this body,” he said. Glaive groaned on the floor as he tried to get up. Iron Pick wrapped him in a blanket of telekinesis, and slammed him against the wall. “As for this asshole…”

The clatter of a door slamming open broke Iron Pick’s concentration long enough for Glaive to push away with his own magic. He dropped to the floor, and in a flash of white, he disappeared from the cell. Bard cursed loudly as the tromping of hooves filled the corridor. With no time for a plan, Bard reached out and puppeted Daisy Lane from the floor of the cell. She stepped into the hall to confront the four knights that had come barreling down the stairs.

“What is the meaning of this?” asked Daisy Lane.

“We want Glaive,” said a pegasus Knight. “Give us that bastard so we can string him from the city walls. I want his head mounted on a pike.”

“You just missed him,” said Daisy Lane as she rubbed the side of her head. “He clocked me and teleported out of here when I tried to question him. He couldn’t have gotten far. Sound the alarm and notify the guards. I want him found.”

“Yes, Captain Lane,” replied the knight. “You heard the mare, move out! Find that unicorn before he gets out of the city.”

As the knights clattered back up the stairs, Bard stuck his head out to check on the situation. He spun Daisy Lane around, and marched the mare back to the cells the other ponies were hiding in. He let go of his magic, and she snapped into a fighting stance.

“What in the name of the moon was that?” she demanded. Heart Chase tackled the mare to the floor, and pinned her head to the ground with a hoof.

“You traitor!” snapped Heart Chase. “How could a Knight of all ponies work for some pony like Glaive?”

“Like you’re so loyal,” shot back Daisy Lane. “It’s thanks to your army that the Lunar Republic will rise again. You two are far more guilty than I could ever be.”

“Well that’s one more for the gallows,” said Iron Pick. “But we need her to get out of here. We’re not going to be able to just walk past the guards without her.” He looked to Bard. The unicorn nodded and took control of the mare again.

Daisy Lane lurched out of the cell as Bard took control of her again. The herd gathered their belongings, and marched up the stairs to find a knight staring intently at the wall. Rather than ask questions, they walked past the guard, and through the granite lined hallways of the city hall. Everywhere they looked there was evidence of erasures and reliefs that had been chiseled off the walls. It was a sad reminder of the events that plagued the memories of the ponies to this day. Putting the war behind them all would again put the world at peace, but for right now, there was an army to stop. The herd marched out of the city hall and into the alley beside it. They emerged from it a minute later, fully armored again, with a large sack slung over Ridgeline’s back. Daisy Lane was nowhere to be seen; Bard shifted uncomfortably under the mare’s armor.

“I feel like an idiot wearing this,” said Bard. “You sure you don’t want this get up, Constance?”

“It won’t fit my wings,” she said. “Besides, why do you even need that? With Iron Pick back in his body, he can stop his troops. Sure Glaive got away, but that’s it. We’re done; no more fighting.” The realization filled her face with a smile. “We did it. We stopped the war.”