• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 6,152 Views, 76 Comments

The Only Human - BigD



Is being the only one of your kind a curse...or does it make you special?

  • ...
16
 76
 6,152

Chapter 8

“So now what, girls?” asked Twilight, sipping from her glass of water. All the dancing and games and general merrymaking were now over, and the six mares were all relaxing in their booth.

“Whaddya mean ‘Now what’, egghead?” asked Rainbow Dash, taking a long chug of her Apple Cider. It might not have been on the level of Applejack’s home-made stuff, but it was still a good drink for her.

“What about Mark?” she replied, scowling at Rainbow. The human and his potential citizenship had only been the center of their attention for the past month and Rainbow was already forgetting about him?

“He’s a citizen now, sugarcube, and he’s got a place ta hang his hat and plenty o’ work ta let him pay fer what he needs. And he has all of us as friends, so what else is there?” asked Applejack, smirking at Rainbow Dash and taking an even bigger swig of her own drink, missing Twilight’s face hoof.

“Oh come on, girls, we all know it’s not that easy. Yes, he’s a citizen, but that doesn’t mean everything’s suddenly a-okay,” she grumbled, her friends all turning to face her, surprised at her behavior. After stressing over this event for months, they all figured she’d be gleeful it turned out good.

Seeing she had their full attention, she said, “He’s the only human in Equestria, girls. Try to imagine if one of us were the only pony in the Griffon kingdom, with the odds of ever leaving slim to none, and then think of what it must be like for him.”

She watched their faces turn thoughtful, then solemn, the full weight of Mark’s situation finally dawning on them.

“Yes, he has us as friends, and he has a place to live and a means to support himself…but he doesn’t have anypony he can relate to, and he’s probably going to have to give up all he knows about his world and learn about ours so he can try and fit in. And no matter how much he tries to fit in, he’s probably always going to be an outsider in one way or another. I highly doubt even Princess Celestia’s blessing will make everypony trust him,” she said, her ears drooping at her own depressing observation.

After a few moments of silence, Rarity was the first to speak up, saying “Well then, I say it’s on us to help make him feel as welcome as possible. If he has to give up what’s important to him, then let’s make it because he has things more important to replace them with.” That got an emphatic nod from all and smile from all, though Fluttershy was soon frowning again.

“How do we do that? You just said he doesn’t have anything to share here,” she said quietly, though for once, she wasn’t hiding behind her hair when talking. Her words got everypony looking at each other again, hooves going to chins as they all tried to figure out ways to help their new citizen.

“Well, for starters, we need to do something to make him…er…appear normal to everypony. More normal, anyway. While I can understand his desire to keep to himself, Ponyville needs to see him more often and get more used to his presence,” she said, eyes moving up as she thought hard. “A steady job might be best. Something that would expose him to more ponies, require him to stick to a schedule, things like that.”

She had to ponder on that, though. It was probably the best way, but at the same time, the very thing she was trying to help him overcome might also prevent him from getting such a job. Who would hire him?

“Oh oh! I know!” cheered Pinkie Pie, making Twilight jump as the pink pony suddenly bounced up into the air, foreleg waving in the air. Twilight waited for her to go on…only for Pinkie to keep waving her hoof, as if…in class. With a sigh, Twilight pointed to her.

“He comes to the Cakes’ bakery a lot, and he’s been asking a lot of questions about how they make everything. Maybe they could take him on,” she said with a big grin, clearly proud of herself for seeming to solve their problem. The other mares looked thoughtful, Applejack in particular pursing her lips.

“Now that ya mention that, Pinkie, he has helped me and Granny Smith bake the usual fritters, dumplings and whatnot, so he does have good baking skills. And boy howdy, ya’ll should see what he can do with them hands of his,” she said with a chuckle, remembering how both her and Granny’s mouths had dropped open the first time he’d helped.

“Sounds good, but how do Mr. and Mrs. Cake feel about him, Pinkie?”

“Oh, they…well, they don’t mind him, but they aren’t as fond of him as I am,” she said with a bit of a frown. This brought out a chuckle from Rainbow.

“Pinkie, you’re super fond of everypony, so don’t worry about that,” she said, turning to Twilight. “He had to earn my trust when he first came here, and if he can get mine, he can get anypony’s. And we all saw how he got Luna to warm up to him,” she said, getting emphatic nods all around.

“Well girls, sounds like we have a plan for that problem. Anypony think there’s anything else we can do to help him get more comfortable here?” asked Twilight, not able to think of anything herself.

“W-what about…what about a special somepony?” came Fluttershy’s soft voice, the butter mare peeking out from behind her mane. She blushed when everypony turned to look at her, but she also had a pleased smile on her face.

“He’s so shy and lonely, it-it would do him good…to find a soul mate. It…it’s done wonders…for me,” she said, a giggle bubbling from her and her cheeks turning even more crimson.

“Oh, indeed. How are you and Big Mac doing, by the way?” purred Rarity, reaching over and placing a hoof on Fluttershy‘s shoulder. News of her and Big Mac becoming an item had been the gossip of Ponyville for weeks now, and all could see the effects it was having on the Pegasus.

Fluttershy didn’t answer for a moment…then held up a foreleg, a glittering gold band around it. Every mouth at the table dropped open, wondering how they’d missed it until now.

“He-he proposed…and I accepted,” she all but squealed, her smile spreading until it nearly split her face. There was a moment of complete silence…then cheers all around, the poor butter crème pony squeaking as she was group-hugged.

“Oh my, congratulations, dear!” cried Rarity, taking Fluttershy’s hoof and squeezing it.

“Whooie, it’s ‘bout time that big lug finally asked ya,” said Applejack, reaching around Rainbow and patting Fluttershy on the back. “When’s the wedding?” she asked, chuckling as that question made Pinkie Pie lean in even closer, rapidly going through what would have to be there.

“Oh dear, I’ll have to get a list started and rework my schedule,” said Twilight, biting her lip for a moment before smiling along with everypony else.

Fluttershy squeaked and giggled as her friends group-hugged her, answering the relevant questions and giving sly hints to some of the more naughty ones. After several moments, the other ponies pulled away, Rainbow Dash loudly calling for more drinks to celebrate.

Upon hearing that, Rarity cleared her throat, making her way out of the booth and getting to her hooves.

“Terribly sorry, darlings, but I must go visit the little filly’s room if we’re going to be indulging in more drinks,” she said, trotting off on her merry way. Applejack watched her for a few minutes, then got up herself.

“Ah might as well take a visit mahself. All that there cider just ran right through me,” she said, though her exit was a bit more rushed, as if trying to catch up to the seamstress pony. Her friends were too focused on Fluttershy and her news to notice.





Rarity went into the ladies room and did her business. As she was washing up, Applejack came in…and propped herself on the wall next to her. The look she was giving the seamstress said it all, a coy smirk and half-lidded eyes. After she finished her task, Rarity sighed and turned to her, jerking her head at the door and leading the way out into the hall.

“I suppose there’s no use beating around the bush, Applejack. We’re both thinking the same thing,” she said calmly, making sure they were both far enough back to be out of the way and couldn’t be easily overheard.

“Eyup. We’ve both got feelings our new citizen. Feelings that go beyond friendship,” the apple farmer replied coolly, keeping a calm face even as she felt her heart beat a little faster.

“And Fluttershy’s talk about a special somepony and marriage have made us realize a few inconvenient facts.“ Rarity’s own heart was fluttering, and she could feel her face heating up despite her attempts to remain calm. This would hardly be the first time she talked about somepony she had a crush on, but it was certainly the first time she revealed it to a competitor.

“Well, there’s two of us, and only one of Mark…so how do we go about settling this in a ladylike fashion?” she asked, settling on her haunches, as she could tell this would be a lengthy discussion.

“Well, fer starters, one of us needs to explain why she’s forgetting she already has a special somepony,” said Applejack, fixing Rarity with a very cross look. “Ah’d hate to see a nice boy like Mark end up with a gal who can’t be loyal.”

Rarity huffed, returning Applejack’s look as she retorted “For your information, Applejack, I’ve not forgotten who my heart belongs to first. I’m simply showing affection to somepony I care about, and you should know by now how I do so.”

“Yeah, well yah could’ve made that clear earlier,” said Applejack, her face softening some as she moved up and gave the fashionista a gentle nuzzle. “Ah’m sorry, Rares. Ah just don’t wanna a good thing crash and burn.”

“Quite alright, dear Applejack. I appreciate your concern, and I’m sorry for giving the wrong impression,” replied Rarity, returning the nuzzle before pulling away and leaning against the wall. “Though I must ask: Are you jealous because your mare is flirting with somepony else…or because she’s flirting with somepony that you also have your eye on?”

Applejack’s head shot back, the cowpony biting her lip and looking around for a moment, her cheeks doing a good impression of her favorite fruit. She bit her lip for a bit, actually at a loss for words…then sighing.

“Oh ponyfeathers. Yer right, Rares, and Ah am a bit jealous of that…but Mark is just that special,” she said, Rarity nodding with a giggle.

“Indeed he is, darling. Which is why it’s imperative we both make sure a relationship such as this works out for him.”

“Well, Ah think a good start would be chatting about why we’re both attracted to him. Perhaps one of us has is only feeling puppy love?” AJ suggested, her smirk returning as she reminded herself that out of all ponies, she’d spent the most time around him and had the best understanding of him. What she felt for him now certainly wasn’t puppy love.

“Oh my, where to begin? He’s charming, polite, adorably silly at times, and quite handsome. And while it was surely an accident, his taking a blow for me from that ruffian, well…it was so magnificent. Like a prince out of the fairytales of my youth,” she said, her eyes shining as she seemed to look into the distance, adoring something only she could see.

“Well, Ah hope Ah ain’t bursting yer bubble, but ya should know Mark’s not some fancy smancy prince, all prim and proper. From what Ah’ve seen working with him, he’s very hard-working and doesn’t seem to mind getting dirty and sweaty. We both know how ya feel ‘bout that,” said the farm pony.

The seamstress, rather than looking uneasy, simply returned Applejack’s smirk, moving a bit closer to her.

“Oh, but sweating can be quite nice, when done under the right circumstances,” she purred with half-lidded eyes, giving the apple farmer a wink.

“Tch, slow down, girl. No need to jump the fence jest yet,” the apple farmer retorted, giving Rarity a very light punch to the shoulder. Rarity grunted a bit, but then leaned in close.

“Your turn, dear Applejack. What’s got you so enamored with our guest?” she asked, having a few good ideas. Though she and Applejack differed on a few things, they’d long ago learned and acknowledged that they shared the same values and ideals about life, which in turn extended to those they were attracted to.

“Well, ‘bout the same reasons as you, Ah reckon. Plus he’s hard-workin’, strong, and ‘taint the least bit ‘fraid of getting dirty. Ask him to do anything on the farm and he does it, no muss, no fuss.” Many a helper, even some of the good ones, had been let go for refusing to do some of the less pleasant jobs on a farm, but Mark…Applejack honestly wondered if he was a machine under all that flesh.

“Well, I think it can be said we both love him out of more than just his looks, so now the question is…er…who gets him,” said Rarity, sticking her tongue out as if a bad taste were on it. She truly didn’t like talking about other ponies as if they were prizes to be won.

“Don’t forget we gotta take inta consideration how he would feel ‘bout this. Fer all we know, he’s got his eye on somepony else…like a certain Princess,” she said, her face going hard for a moment, Rarity’s following.

“Yes. She’s not fooling anypony with her “Wanting to learn about you” routine. I’ve read enough romance novels to see the signs of an infatuation. Still…he is special, so one can‘t fault her for being drawn to him like we are,” she said, face and voice softening. Leaning in close to Applejack, she purred, “We could start a herd,” half lidding her eyes again and smiling very warmly.

“Hmm, a herd, eh? Well, not like we’d be the first ta do that,” she said, returning Rarity’s sultry gaze as they began to rub their bodies against each other. “Think there’s enough of him for three ponies?” she asked, the two starting to nuzzle each other.

“Wellll…I doubt we’d both be interested in him if he didn’t have values we already hold in high esteem. Same goes for Princess Luna,” she said, bringing a hoof up and gently pulling the farm pony into a kiss, both mares closing their eyes and murring softly. They spent a few moments exploring each other’s mouths with their tongues, tasting each others lips, and stroking each other’s neck and mane. They were panting when they finally pulled away.

“Hmm, how could Ah possibly say no to being able to enjoy that with another lover or two,” purred Applejack. Rarity’s eyes twinkled and she hugged her mare friend for a moment before they pulled away.

“It’ll be nice to have more playmates.”




The girls were still congratulating Fluttershy when they came back, the butter crème mare having lost some of her shyness and happily answering their questions and sharing ideas for the wedding. The drinks arrived and were passed around, more than a few of the mares tippsey by the time they were done.

“Alright girls, *hic*, I do believe it’s time we head back to the castle *hic*. Got lots more things to do today,” said Twilight, her words slurring, the young unicorn a bit unsteady on her hooves. She never could hold her alcohol very well.

Granted, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the only two who didn’t stumble too bad once everypony got up. Poor Fluttershy needed both of them to move, the normally shy Pegasus giggling and purring, her cheeks flushed and her eyes a bit glazed. A Hangover Spell would definitely be in order when she woke up later.

The streets were mostly empty as they made their way back to the castle, the last call of just about every bar having come and gone. Canterlot was a bit more dangerous at night than Ponyville, but few street thugs had the nerve to tangle with the Mane Six, so there were no problems between the bar and the entrance to the castle.

“Alright girls, let’s go make sure Mark got back to his room okay, then get some shuteye ourselves. Our vacation’s still young,” said Twilight, starting a yawn that soon carried on to the other five mares, all of them making their way down the hall to the human’s room. AJ and Rarity glanced at each other and half-grinned, both idly wondering if there was a chance of making a good excuse to sleep with their crush.

Reaching his room, Twilight did her best to quietly open the door, though she was willing to bet Mark would be out cold after such a hard night. Fortunately, the hinges were well-oiled, so there was no creaking as she opened it enough to peek her head in, ears raised for the sound of Mark’s usual steady breathing…and not hearing anything.

“Mark? Mark, are you in here?” she said in a raised whisper, trying to see the bed in the darkness. Hesitantly lighting her horn, she looked at the bed again.

It was not only completely void of Mark…but it was still made!

Pulling back out, she turned to the other mares, trying to keep her face straight as she said;

“Girls, we have a problem.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, folks. New job, a bit of writer's block, and some general laziness kept me from this story for a while, plus I keep getting other ideas I just have to put down on paper before they slip away. Hopefully, the next chapter won't take quite as long.

As usual, constructive criticism only.

Comments ( 12 )

Hope twilight gets in mark un expected herd. Also take your time. Life happens so no need to say sorry.

Ehh, I'd say this is an okay story. Aside from that utterly disgusting third chapter, and the fact the human is somewhat acting like a doormat (more of a pet peeve of mine, really); this is a harmless fic. As you said you aren't that experienced as a writer, the fact you can actually press the publish button makes you more courageous than me :ajsleepy:.

But I digress, not really worth a favorite or up vote in my opinion, but not really bad enough for a down vote.

Ya the third chapter is one that still doesn't make sense. The only thing I could say is maybe they were already dating hmm. That could make sense.

6207570
That's the idea. There's plenty of signs of them potentially being an item in the show, so I rolled with it.

6207593 hah, I was thinking of twilight and the MC . Maybe that's why he was fine with being ties up, they were already a couple.

Meh, never was a fan of Rarijack but it seems like it could be okay.

I am pulling for Mark to be with them, lucky duck.

Is this dead? Cause you can't leave it like that. Seriously...I need more. I'm unfulfilled, narratively.

HEY!

Don't ignore me!

7775490 Nah, not dead. Just gotten busy IRL and trying to get some affairs in order. I'll hopefully start work on it again after the new year starts.

7785778 I get it, and I appreciate the considerate response.

I look forward to the new year and the possibilities...of a three way—I-I mean...nope, no recovery from that, bye!

Any word on an update?

Ever an update comin?

Erh...more please? :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment