• Published 28th Jan 2012
  • 2,105 Views, 138 Comments

PonyFable - Omega_code

  • ...
9
 138
 2,105

Chapter 10: A Taste of Doom

“I can’t believe he knew we were coming,” Rainbow Dash said as she flew near Jack and the others.

“I can believe Celestia didn’t tell us she knew him,” Jack said. Shortly after Jack got the helm Flare’s father, whose name was Fireplate, told them that he received a letter from Celestia about Jack and some missing ponies were coming over to see him to negotiate for the helm. It would have been helpful to known about this, but less fun would have come from this. Kind-of reminds me of mine Celestia, Jack thought, like that one time she send me on just to get some tea from The Red Dragon. “Anyway, we got the helm, and the plan went smoothly.” Rainbow Dash got the clouds for Wistala fight and Twilight charged them up for Wistala to unleash, and Applejack did her role as backup for Jack, just in case he needed it. The helm, thankfully, went into Jack’s backpack without any problems from its resistance to magic. They were heading back to the forest where they park the chariot, where Fluttershy was anxiously waiting for their return.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” The scream came from the same direction they were heading.

“Fluttershy,” the girls all said together, and in a flash they ran as fast as they could.

“Wait,” Jack shouted out, “it could be a trap.” Jack, Wistala, and Spike tried to catch up with the galloping mares, but with no avail. In the sky, Jack could see smoke rising above the tree line, bringing back bad memories from the Fire War. Jack increased his running speed and reached behind him for a random weapon. Trees blur by as Jack got closer to the source and the smell of burning wood fill the air. Once there Jack saw that everypony was in bounds, and they were struggling trying to break free of their bonds. Sudden Jack's vision went spinning as something hard hit him at his side. Jack sailed through the air and slammed hard into a half burnt tree, dropping the sword that he grabbed out.

“Not so tough now are ya,” a familiar voice spoke. Jack struggle to stand up, and looked to see familiar faces, Flare and three others dragons. They were wearing some sort of burning earth golem armor, twice the size of Jack’s height. Jack could see that Flare and the others were wearing a red gem stone amulet. Flare walk up to Jack and hold him up against the tree, “You did said that I need to get better, so I got better.” He grabbed one of Jack’s legs and flung him a few feet in the clearing that he and his friends made. Jack hit the ground and rolled around a couple of times. Jack’s body screamed of pain as he tried to get back up, but stopped when he heard trotting hooves. He looked up to see Obsidian looking down on him.

Obsidian chuckle softly and whisper, “You should’ve known better to hurt a dragon’s pride. It’s so easy to convince them to do my bidding that way.” His horn glowed and Jack’s backpack float towards Obsidian. “I must thank you though, for retrieving my helm, save me the trouble of building mindless golems to retrieve it.” He opened the main flap and looked inside, and frowned when he saw nothing inside. “Where is it,” he angrily asked.

“It’s in the backpack genius, where else,” Jack smuggle answered.

“I’ll show you…,” he stopped midsentence and cast a shield around him and a ball of energy crashed into it.

“Leave him alone, you monster,” Wistala voice boom out. She came out of the tree she was hiding in and flew at ramming speed towards Obsidian.

“I been expecting you,” Obsidian said and four rings came out of nowhere and held right at Wistala. One attach to her neck causing her to stop flying, another clamp down her wings making her fall to the ground. The last two pinned her two front legs to ground, immobilizing her. She struggled to get her claws free of the rings, trying to pull them out. When that failed she open her mouth to unleash...nothing…she couldn’t release any sort of spark out of her mouth. “Those collars are design to prevent you to use your magic, and are strong as the finest steal, so don’t try to break them.”

“Watch out,” one of the dragons shouted.

Obsidian turned around to see Jack swinging down an axe at him. He cast his shield again and the axe made a loud ringing noise as strike hard against shield. “You shouldn’t have done that.” An orange flame soon engulfed Jack, smoldering his exposed flesh.

Jack quickly raised his barrier and flame passed over it, blocking his vision. The barrier could stop the fire, but not its heat. The temperature quickly rose, making Jack sweat and breath heavily to stay conscious. The fire stopped and a white dragon stood right in front of him. He bashed one of his golem fists at Jack’s barrier and broke it instantly. With his other fist he hit Jack square in the chest, sending him fly a couple of feet back, hit the ground hard on his back. The blond purple dragon put one of his feet on Jack’s chest, pinning him to the ground. “Now,” Obsidian said, “give me the helm, before I have to hurt somepony.” He set Jack’s backpack near Jacks reach. Jack look at Obsidian, trying to think for some way to get out. Sighing Obsidian said, “To prove my point,” Obsidian horn glowed again and Fluttershy was levitated to them. She had a collar around her neck and she was shaking, frighten of what happening. She yelped in pain and closed her eyes as the gem in the collar glowed and started shirking. “I just activated the collar; soon it will block her air flow and then blood flow. She will black out and die if you don’t give me the helm.”

Jack furious looked at Obsidian. He reached out with one hand and grabbed his backpack. He opened it reach inside and pull out the helm. He tossed it at Obsidian and said, “There, you have it. Now release Fluttershy and everyone else.” Obsidian went to the helm and put his horn on the diamond. An orange glowed went out from his horn into the helm and caused the helm to bust out in an orange light. The glow went back into Obsidian and he left the helm to his saddle bag. “OBSIDIAN,” Jack shouted. Obsidian look at Fluttershy and the collar gem stone ceased glowing. Fluttershy took rapid breaths and open her eyes as the pain left her.

Obsidian continued to hold Fluttershy in the air; he looked at the other captive ponies and left them up in the air as well. He started to walk away, bring the four ponies with him. “What are you doing Obsidian,” Jack asked.

“I’m taking them to the other side of the mountain, to release them. You, however, are going to be a problem for my plans. I promise these dragons that they can have their revenge on you and your dragon. Fare well hero, and don’t worry, I won’t harm anyone else as long as they stay out of my way.” Obsidian walked into part of the forest that hasn’t burn down yet and disappeared. Soon a stone dragon golem rose above the tree line and took off in the horizon.

The blond dragon put more pressure in his foot to remind Jack of his presence. “So Flare, how should we deal with this human,” he asked.

“First I want to make sure that his dragon has a clear view of the show,” Flare said. He walked over to Wistala and grasp her in one the huge golems hands. With a strong yank he pulled her out of the ground. She struggle to escape but the grasp was too strong for her. “You know, it’s funny that we are the ones with power now,” Flare said as turn to face Jack again. “You walk right in my home and challenge my pride and insulted me right in front of my father. Now I have all the power to do the same thing to you now.”

“Power,” Jack slowly said with his eyes closed. The toned of his voice quickly darken and a shadow fell across his face. “If power is what you seek then power you will get.” He opened his eyes, both darker than they used to be, and raised one of his hands clutching it at the air. Shadow burst from the ground and ensnare the purple dragon in solid black tentacles. The dragon was ripped out of his golem armor and pull to the ground. Jack got up and with his right and reach for amulet to pull it off and his left grab the right side of the dragon’s head.

“What’s going onaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh,” the dragon screamed as crimson color energy left his face and into Jacks left arm. Part of the dragon blond hair slowly turn white and was now mourning as if his life was being drain. Jack, however, was grinning in delight. He felt his wounds were being healed and his strength returning to him. In a few seconds Jack tossed aside the barley alive dragon to the ground and was fully healed. He walked to his backpack to grab a suitable weapon.

The others watch in disbelief, and Wistala softly said, “No, Jack…don’t do it.”

Jack reach inside and grab on a handle made out of bone, and pull out the Necrotic Sword of Doom. The black reddish color blade ate any light that was cast on it, and the presence of Doom filled the air. “Who’s next,” he mocking asked. The white dragon rushed forward in answered to Jack’s question. He swing forward one of his arms with all his might. Jack unnaturally dodge it and gave a swing of his own at the incoming arm. The sword slice through it like it was nothing, and Jack gave another quickly slash at one of the legs. The dragon fled face down to the ground, he tried to get back up but scream as a sharp pain shot through his right shoulder. The dragon looked to his right shoulder to see the sword pricing deeply through his armor and scales and Jack’s hand reaching for the amulet, before he passed out.

Jack pulled the amulet out of the dragon’s neck and the rest of the armor fell apart. He pulled his sword out and small spurts of blood came along with it. Jack then turn to face Flare, who was still in shock what was going. Boulder step in front of Jack and released another roaring flame storm. Jack hold up his sword and the flame part into two streams, not even touching Jack. Boulder stopped his fire breathing and Jack lowered his sword. Jack raised one of his arms and a black column of light engulfed the brown dragon. The column diminished and dragon stood there unharmed. The dragon smile and was about to release another fire storm. He open his mouth but sharp pain shot through his neck instead of fire. The dragon shook his head, and Jack was slowly walking toward Boulder. Boulder tried again, but the pain came back, painful than the last one. Jack got closer and closer to Boulder, as Boulder tried to breathe fire. Frustrated Boulder raised an arm to smash Jack, but pain shot through his shoulder preventing him to move. Jack made his move; rush forward and he leapt in the air grab the amulet and gave a backlash with sword. Blood spurt in the air and Jack land firmly on the ground while Boulder and his armor felled to the ground.

Jack looked at his last opponent who was now shaking in fear. Jack raised a hand waved his index finger, taunting Flare to attack him. Flare’s response was to drop Wistala turn and run. “Can’t run from me,” Jack said. He grab the handle with both hands and gave a might swing downwards. It created a rip in space with soon formed a portal right in front of Jack making a mighty crackling sound. Flare stopped a looked back, and saw what was inside the portal. Darkness at first, but soon several small red lights glowed inside. Dreadful laughter filled the air and screaming laughing skull zoomed out of the portal head towards Flare. The skulls smash into Flare’s armor and scales breaking them in several pieces. The barraged of skull stopped and Flare’s body in intense pain. He started to fell to the ground, only to be stop by a solid shadow. “No, I want you standing for this,” Jack said as he moved Flare’s body standing up straight at eye level. “It’s a sham and also really funny of this situation. You got all this power thinking you could defeat me, only to be defeat by me again.” Jack chuckle as he clenched his hand making the shadow tighten around Flare making him wince in pain.

“I give up, you win,” Flare said.

“Far too late that,” Jack raised his sword to make the final blow.

“Jack, don’t do it,” Wistala said as she tried to get the collar off her neck.

“SHUT UP LIZARD,” Jack shouted. He raised the sword high in the sky, rage in his eyes. A small green flame hit Jack’s back, barley making Jack move forward. Enraged Jack looked behind him to strike the fool who dare attack him…and saw Spike standing there, frighten to the bone but stand his ground to face Jack.

“I thought you weren’t this type of hero Jack,” Spike said.

“You’re right Spike, I normally not, but not this time. He crossed the line and went too far, he now must pay the price.” Jack was about to strike again, but Wistala voice spoke out.

“No you’re wrong Jack. You’re not the type of person who kills for fun, or kill an enemy who has surrender. This is not you, it’s the swords. What would your friends or everyone else think about this cold blood murder? You won, now put the sword down. ” There was a small clicking noise and a thud as the collars somehow came off of Wistala. Looking at Jack she said, “Don’t make me fight you.” Jack look at Flare, who was begging with eyes for his life to be spared. Screaming in rage Jack raised his sword for a stabbing blow to the chest. “Jack!” Flare closed his eyes waiting for blow; he felt the sword pass by but no pain came. Flare opened his eyes to see the sword stabbed into the ground.

Jack released his grip on the handle and placed his hands on Flare’s shoulders looking deep in his eyes. The shadows that were holding on to Flare and over Jack’s face disburse and Jack told Flare, “Run…get help for your friends. They’re hurt but alive, and if you decide to fight me again I won’t show mercy a second time.” Jack released Flare who took off, getting far away from Jack. Jack watched Flare flee, then he turn his attention to the sword. He wished he could leave it there in the ground forever, but that was only foolish thinking. He grabbed the handle pulled out the sword and quickly put it in his backpack. The power of the Necrotic Sword of Doom was his burden to bare and his alone.








Dragonfable is copyright to Artix Entertainment, LLC.
MLP: Friendship is Magic is copyright to Hasbro and whoever else has the rights.
All charters that belong to their companies are rightfully theirs. This writing is for fun and nothing else.
Next Chapter: Echoes of the Past



Image from AE forums.