• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 10,011 Views, 445 Comments

Awakening - solocitizen



Lumina embarks on a journey of exploration and self-discovery after crashing on an uncharted world.

  • ...
21
 445
 10,011

Special Thanks and Dedication

I may be the author of Awakening, but just as they say it takes a whole village to raise a child, it takes an entire team of editors, prereaders, proof-readers, reviewers, critics, and cover artists to make a novel happen.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank those people, for without their help, Awakening would not have been possible.

Nathan
Gold Vision
WhatTheMoo
Garnot
CSImadmax
And a legendary warrior who I am sure would wish to simply remain Anonymous

I, of course, cannot forget about all those in the fimfic community, who lent their support and help and feedback and were there throughout the long posting process. Thank you all!

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this work of fiction to my friends: an owl, a tramp, and a man in a white suit. You were, and still are, there when I need it most.

Comments ( 114 )
Sadie #1 · May 3rd, 2013 · · ·

The best story endings, are the ones which make you feel like anything can happen.

This is one of those endings.

Woo! Good run!

I look forward to reading from you again.:twilightsmile:

Is the next part is coming this September?

Thank you for creating this wonderful world! I have really enjoyed it, and can't wait for more.:twilightsmile:

i.imgur.com/LORn0bh.jpg

I have to say I've really enjoyed this story since you first posted it. I've never had much to say about it, until the last chapter reminded me of one of the few MST3K's I've never finished.

I should go watch that episode now and actually finish it...

So the bad guys are changelings, huh. I wonder if Chrysalis is still alive and kicking. Also, what is the release date on the next part of the story?

A new day, a new dawn, a new beginning...and with every beginning, there is an end...

...but not all ends are happy. And I don't know what this one will be...

...but I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

You finished the story. Congratulations.

Absolutely great. Can't wait for more.

Ī”Ī“

So glad I never took this story off of the read later list. It's a masterpiece. You're a great writer.

Awesome story. Truly original and enjoyable. I look forward to the next story to come in what will be one of the great stories of the fandom I think. Up there with Past Sins and FoE.

I also have to say I think I know who's going to be the Element of Loyalty. Maybe.

One of the best stories I have read and an awesome ending. Keep up the good word!

When I first read this I thanked you for putting it on Authors helping Authors sot that I was able to find it. I thank you again for writing this. I enjoyed every single letter of it and I cannot wait until you return with the next part, I know itā€™s only going to get better and better.

This is one of the best stories I have ever read. :twilightsmile:

I eagerly await when you finish the next selection. There is going to be a sequel, isn't there? :fluttershysad:

Great story. But your editors need some training, I often see spelling errors that could have easily been fixed by someone like me. Your editors need to try harder.

Well, I guess this is the end of this road. You're story's really come along since I first reviewed the first chapters, and I'm very impressed with the way it's played out. I look forward to seeing future stories from you, it's been a fun reading. :twilightsmile:

Don't stop now your on a roll. Your story is one of my favorites :heart:

Equestria Daily, why u no read my emails and grant Awakening Completed status? I was really looking forward to its Completed blog post. :applecry: See what you did? You made use that emote.
Anyway, I can't believe these responses I've been getting; they're all so positive and encouraging and frankly, I never expected it to mean so much to so many people, and it means so much to see that it has.
2533513 2526210 2523053
Tentatively, I'm aiming for some time this September, but I'm not 100% on that and it may very well change. Best possible scenario, it will come out September, but worst case scenario it will be after season 4 concludes (but I don't think that is very likely). I'll have a better idea as the project progresses.
2530929 2527391 2524356 2523872 2523429 2524057 2523115 2523064 2505819 2522990
Thank you all! I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to share this with you all, and I can't wait to do it again!
2522996
Thank you, and fixed!
2525302
How come you always know exactly what's up with each of my chapters? I'm just glad you've got my back on the next one.
2528598
I was kinda going for this, but that works too.

2525411
That would just make my day if someone took the time to do that. Although, there is a link on my user page to a guy who has been producing a lot of really cool fan art of Lumina.
2506525
I'm glad to hear you're on board! Believe it or not, Authors helping Authors was a major turning point in this fic's development, and you and Educated Guess were the ones got me involved in that group, so thank you for your advice and encouragement throughout this fic!
2531554
Rest assured, I have no intention of stopping :coolphoto:

2534064
If so when is the next story coming out?:pinkiehappy:
also i made you one of my fav's so please:applecry: make it as quick as you can, but don't rush! :scootangel:

Not a bad little Novella, I'm glad I gave it a read. It's a neat idea, very space opera in feel, with a lot of room to continue on.

That said as a standalone it works fairly well. It does leave a lot of unanswered questions (such as what happened to make everypony deny their magic in the first place) but not enough questions are unanswered that it detracts from the story. Then again, you clearly have a universe to build upon for the sequel. I'll be keeping an eye on your account, congrats on completing it.

And I am very curious to see exactly how both her employers and her father react to her new abilities and Animus now being mobile.:pinkiecrazy:

yay :yay:! EQD updated Awakening to complete status! All is right in the world.

You have been faved, on the condition that there is moar of this. :twilightsmile:

SO MOAR. :flutterrage:

I loved the story and I look forward to the next!

I'm not a big fan of Sci-fi mixing with my strictly Fantasy diet, but you managed to pull this off quite nicely. I do hope you expand on this in the future.

2554007
Fantastic!
But I like coffee more

2555463
All this has happened before, and will happen again.

I'd had this one on read-later for a while, waiting for it to complete. Then I read it all in one go. I really enjoyed it, as it felt like really classic sci-fi at points, then others felt just like warm/fuzzy MLP. The alternating main-plot/flashback chapters were kind of an odd choice, as the flashback chapters didn't always directly relate to upcoming (or just seen) events in the main plot. That said, I found I actually enjoyed the flashbacks more in a way, as they were each almost a standalone snapshot story (and pure sci-fi.) I think I feel that way as, from the moment we see that young Lumina thought she could do magic (in a world without it) the resolution of that plot line was kind of self evident, and so the main plot arc was a bit of a train ride. We know where it's going, but it's still nice to enjoy the scenery on the way.

Anyway, great job on doing far-future SF in MLP... even if it did leave me with more quesitons than answers.

2570842
The first fanfic I ever read cover to cover what the Thessalonica Legacy, and I read the entire thing on a long car ride up to Canada with my family. I wrote Awakening so it could be read in a day, with the intention that somebody on a long road trip could have something to read on their journey to someplace else, much like I did with The Thessalonica Legacy.
I'm glad I could provide you with that experience, as it truly was a important one for me.

Solocitizen, thank you, I had a wonderful time...

Here's a song to end the awesome:

Alternately

2599371
I'm glad you enjoyed it :twilightsmile:; as there is nothing quite like a good read, and I'm happy to hear that my work provided you, and so many others, with that experience. As for some of your other comments, no, not quite like the ideal plane. More like just another plane the works differently, and that's an entirely different experience. In the universe Awakening is set in, there are many planes, with Lumina's and Twilight's just being two of them.

2606873
Yeah, the ending isn't as strong as it could have been, but that's a lesson I learned and that I'm carrying with me into my other projects. As for if there is a sequel in the works or not, I'd like to direct you to my blog post, "Awakening, Planet Hell, and the Cycle of Eternal Return," for plenty of info on that topic.
2600508
Just wait until you get a little further on... she has some interesting interactions with it.

please continue this...

2608693
Whatever is giving people the impression that I'm not?

Please waiting on the next element earth pony?

2653489
Thank you!
Changes have been made where appropriate.

Hellu again, I'm sorry for taking so much time (and I will take some) before showing some results, but here it is (sorta) you can read the rest in the description :raritywink:

http://therustyhawk.deviantart.com/art/Unfinished-Lumina-in-Spaaaace-375632120?ga_submit_new=10%253A1370253236

Mist nova and Luminas departure... ;~; it was quick, but... wow... This has a lot of potential for sequals. I really really really liked this story.

Great story I look forward to the next one this is going to be epic!

2669799
Oh man, she looks so floaty and adorable! I can't wait to see the final product. Lumina during one of her happier moments.

One's back, five more to go.

Please oh please make another! How she finds the next element and everything! I can see this being a saga, one story per element starting with Awakening and going through all six plus one or two after they are all together or something. This story was beautiful and I'm glade to have read it.A stache and a smile for this work of art! :moustache: :twilightsmile:

I have started to read this as an audio-book! Here is what I have done so-far:

2750690
This is actually really exciting! You've got my attention, and my support, if you're planning on continuing the project!

2757280 Thanks! I will continue to make it... but there will be large gaps between uploads. (there are others in the house most of the time and it's to loud to record...) So it's going to be weeks or more before an update. :facehoof:

This is definitely one of those stories that I will keep looking at in hopes of new chapters or sequels. Hopefully, writing opportunities will be generous!

Of course, it makes a very fine novella, and I was genuinely sad at the point where a tragic loss seemed to have occurred. I mean, I was going NOOOOOOOOOOOOO and then I was like PHEWPH and then I was like OH SNAP but you probably don't need the transcript. :}

So in the hopes that whether or not it will be a continuation of this story, I hope that you will be able to write.

And if you want to reduce the above to two words, just go with

MOAR!
Please?

2795370
By the end of the series, I'm sure people will be saying the same thing about the other three tribes, too.

Just an update about the audio book recording... I am nearly done with the first chapter! It will be up on my youtube sometime...

2750690 Well chapter 1 is done!

There is a lot of potential overall, specially with the relationship between Lumina and Animus, and the backstory of Equestria. Elements of Harmony in space is also very interesting. Your descriptions are interesting, Lumina is an interesting character, and the whole "magical realm" thing, while very strange, might work if done right.

However, this story hits just about all of my hate buttons. I could go into great length about those grievances, but suffice to say that you had Electroshock Therapy in space because of evil/misguided adults that can't accept that children are magical. This kind of stuff simply blows my BS-o-meter right out the roof, and took me completely out of the story.

Login or register to comment