• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 1,737 Views, 73 Comments

Breaches of Peace - CalmNQuiet



A collection of short prompts meant to tease and explore the world of writing. Slice of Life, Dark, Sad, Romance, and more.

  • ...
7
 73
 1,737

Tranquility [Saddish] (AppleDash)

Tranquility
Applejack felt wonderful. Surrounded by the sweet scent of apple blossoms, she trekked her way through Sweet Apple Acres on her last chore for the day. Then, she could spend some time with Rainbow Dash before tending to their little filly. Little Dashie was always overflowing with excitement and energy, much like her namesake mother, so, Applejack tended to save the most relaxing chore for the end of the day.

She wound her way through the rows of apple trees and swept her gaze across the innumerable blooming trees. Her practiced eyes more than capable of spotting the slightest irregularities after years of bonding with her orchard. A gentle breeze carried the delicate scent of the flowers through the air and filled her face with a smile. Springtime was so beautiful, so alive, and Applejack loved it.

Her hour-long trek eventually led her to the edge of the farm. She glanced up at the sky, it was clear and beautiful. She couldn’t help the touch of pride which swelled in her heart at the thought of the pony she knew was responsible. A final cursory glance over the trees was more than enough. She quickened her pace to her meeting spot at the end of each workday. Rainbow would probably be sleeping quietly waiting for her.

She trotted up the hill, a little out of breath, and paused beneath a magnificent apple tree. Their tree. She settled down in the cool shade below the vibrant green foliage of the tree and looked up to the sky. “Hey Rainbow,” she started softly, not wanting to disturb the resting pegasus. “It’s a beautiful day again today. I know I’ve told you that you don’t have to do this for me every day.” She paused and smiled, “But, that’s not going to stop you is it?”

Glancing back at the beautiful expanse of pink flowers behind her, her smile widened. “The apple trees are blossoming wonderfully. The weather team is really doing a great job. I think this year’s harvest is going to be the best yet.” She chuckled as the breeze ruffled her mane and carried the sweet scent of the apples to her once more. “And, to think I was worried and you had to assure me the crops would only get better.”

“Mommy!”

Applejack turned her head and saw her little pegasus filly galloping toward her. She opened her forehooves and wrapped her daughter in a warm hug the moment they made contact. “Hey there sugarcube, have a good day at school?”

“I did, I flew a little today! What are you doing mommy? Talking to mama again?”

Applejack closed her eyes and squeezed the filly tight with one hoof while ruffling her mane affectionately with the other. “I was, I bet she’d love to hear about your day too.”

“I can talk to mama too?”

“You sure can. Just think of mama until your heart feels warm and look up at the sky.”

Little Dashie nodded and looked up at the sky with her hopeful eyes. “Hey mama. I know you’re far away, but mommy says you’re always there for me. I was thinking about you today and I flapped my wings really hard and flew just a few seconds! I’m going to be just like you when I grow up.”

Applejack sucked in a quick breath of air and squeezed her daughter tight.

A gentle tranquil breeze washed over them both.

The little pegasus filly giggled in delight and buzzed her wings in the breeze. “I love you mama!” She leaned up and kissed Applejack lightly on the cheek. “I love you too mommy.”

Applejack nuzzled her back gently. “I love you too, my little Dashie.”

Author's Note:

This is a continuation of my previous prompt "Fairytale". I love the cuteness of little Dashie and the strength of Applejack as a mother, so I figured I would write another one for them.