• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 1,735 Views, 73 Comments

Breaches of Peace - CalmNQuiet



A collection of short prompts meant to tease and explore the world of writing. Slice of Life, Dark, Sad, Romance, and more.

  • ...
7
 73
 1,735

Glass [Sad] (AppleDash)

Glass
Rainbow Dash stirred fitfully as the bed shifted. Still soaring through the heights of dreamland, she rolled over and curled up next to the warmth beneath the covers. Her contentful rest jolted away from her with the crash of a chair against the floor. Startled, she bolted upright and rubbed her eyes blearily in the dim light.

“Mighty sorry about that RD. Don’t let it bother you none and get yourself some more rest.”

Stretching her limbs, Rainbow Dash yawned and looked out the window. The slightest hint of dawn trickling over the horizon in a thin gleaming line. Awake before dawn, some habits never change. Her eyes swept across the room and found Applejack sitting in front of the vanity with a mane-brush strapped to her hoof.

By now, the warmth of Applejack’s body had long departed the blankets they shared moments earlier. With no further motivation to stay in bed, Rainbow eased herself out and touched her hooves to the cool wooden floor below. The chill bit through her body and drew an involuntary shiver from her wings.

Wordlessly, she padded over to Applejack and smiled at the reflection of her lifelong companion in the polished glass mirror. She was always amazed by how brilliantly Applejack’s green eyes shone even in the dimmest of lights—a shining beacon in her life. Not taking her eyes from their shared reflection, she reached forward and gripped Applejack’s hoof within her own.

“Let me do it Applejack. I know how difficult it is for you.”

A moment’s hesitation, but it quickly passed. She gently eased the mane-brush from Applejack’s hoof and strapped it to her own. Lovingly, she stroked the bristles through the golden mane she had grown hopelessly attached to. She watched in the mirror as the dull morning expression upon Applejack’s face grew to a smile and she smiled back.

Mid-stroke, Applejack’s hoof intercepted her own, and their wedding bands clinked melodiously against one another. Her face in the mirror twisted to a slight frown, but Applejack’s expression did not change.

“Rainbow... Why are you still here?”

Her hoof fell languidly to her side.

“I can’t see none. I bumble around in our home like a lost filly.”

Rainbow bit her lip as the polished glass captured the dimming of those eyes she loved so much. She wrapped her hooves around the chest of her beloved and nuzzled into the soft mane which hadn’t changed since the first day she tumbled into it. “Because I made a promise. To be here for you, for better or worse, through sickness and health, until my last moment.”

The tears formed at her own eyes, reflected plainly in the mirror, but Applejack couldn’t see them. “And, I intend to keep that promise.”

“I’m sorry RD.”

A hoof pulled her down and brought her face to face with her love. No glass could capture the beauty she saw now. Tenderly, they came together and shared a kiss.

The kiss parted, and Applejack whispered to her: “I never should have forgot.”

“I’ll never stop reminding you.”

Author's Note:

Prompt: Glass
I've wanted to try a semi-third-person-limited story involving a mirror and the interactions between two characters. This gave me the perfect opportunity. I know it is a little sad, but I'm fairly certain Applejack will recover.