• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 1,740 Views, 73 Comments

Breaches of Peace - CalmNQuiet



A collection of short prompts meant to tease and explore the world of writing. Slice of Life, Dark, Sad, Romance, and more.

  • ...
7
 73
 1,740

Sunrise [Dark/Adventure] (TwiDash)

Twilight’s hooves thudded against the ground at a rapid pace. The thick grass muffled her hoof-falls and threatened to steal her grip. Panting heavily, she turned her head back to tighten the straps on her saddlebag. It would be a tremendous loss if she lost its precious contents now.

She glanced to the horizon. How much time did they have left? She momentarily dimmed the magical headlamp strapped above her horn to get a better gauge of the level of ambient light.

The first trickles of morning light teased at the horizon.

This was bad. “Rainbow! We’re running out of time.” She struggled to keep pace as she yelled into the dawn. “Sunrise is coming. If we don’t make it to the compound--”

“I know!” The reply was harsh and heated. “Just run!”

Focusing on the tail in front of her, she put forth an extra burst of speed. She wasn’t going to die out here. And, she wasn’t going to let the ponies depending on these herbs to die.

They crested over the last set of hills together just as yellow started to fill the sky. The faint light gleamed across the metal structure in the distance. The paved concrete which extended several hundred feet from the tall walls held back the encroaching wilderness. It also represented the safe zone they desperately needed to be within.

She allowed herself a sigh of relief. They were going to make it.

Lustrous reds, oranges and yellows painted the canvas above as her hooves clacked onto the reinforced concrete. She smiled at her good fortune.

Snap. Crash.

Her back hoof shot sharp needles of pain up her leg and she collapsed at the edge of the threshold. In a panic, she looked back and found her leg bleeding. An early riser latched onto to her flesh and sucked away viciously. She screamed in agony as the blood seeped from her body.

In a flash, Rainbow was beside her. A sharp pair of jaws shredded the green vine and splattered its owner with crimson. “Common Twi, just a little further.”

Twilight strained to her hooves, but collapsed several feet into the safe zone. Her fluids oozed from the open wound and the tranquilizing chemicals in the jaws of the plant robbed her of her senses.

Rainbow glanced at the compound and back at the mass of green slowly coming to life with the early light. “Damnit Twi... I can’t just leave you here.” She cursed inwardly and looked at the wound. She needed something to staunch the wound. Lifting her wing, she buried her muzzle in the soft down feathers at the base and tore them from their sockets. She fought back the pain and pressed the fluff against the wound. It would have to do for now.

She lowered her body and slid the unmoving body of her partner onto her back and painfully crossed the last hundred feet to the compound door. She slammed her hoof against it. “Let us in! Twilight’s been hurt! She needs a detox now!”

The doors swung open and Rainbow trudged inside. She dropped Twilight carefully on the waiting stretcher and kissed the forehead of the feverish unicorn. “It’s okay Twi. You’re going to be okay.”

Beautiful colors graced the land as the compound was sealed away from the overgrown environment outside. The dawn of a new day.

Author's Note:

Prompt: Sunrise
I wanted to do something beyond the cute watching a sunrise together. So, instead I threw Twilight and Rainbow into a world of murderous plants which are triggered by the sunrise. Insanity right?