• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 13,505 Views, 552 Comments

Discord's Daughter - Speedy Quill



Discord finds out that he has a daughter from his one and only romance.

  • ...
25
 552
 13,505

Remember

Discord, Twilight, and Pinkie sat in silence as they ate breakfast. After his dreams last night, Discord was content with the quiet. The opposite was true for Pinkie.

She looked from Discord to Twilight and back. "What's with the silence? Aren't we going to talk about anything?"

Twilight gave a look that said 'be quiet', but the pink pony didn't take the hint.

"What about you Discord? How are things with you and Derpy?"

Discord glared at Pinkie. He had heard that a unicorn had once made her mouth disappear. He was tempted to do it to her now.

'Knock Knock Knock'

Three sets of eyes turned to the door. Who could be here so early in the morning? Pinkie smiled at the prospect of somepony who would actually talk with her, so she jumped up to answer the door. She pulled it open and gasped in surprise.

Discord froze in his seat as he spotted Derpy standing in the doorway. What was she doing here?

Her eyes were focused as she looked at Pinkie. "Can I see Discord?"

"Sure!" Pinkie stepped aside for her and Derpy walked in.

It was a moment before anypony could move. Twilight slowly stood. "Pinkie, could you help me in the kitchen?"

"Right! We've got cupcakes to bake!"

Twilight was ready to correct her, but Pinkie was already in the kitchen. She gave one last glance to Discord before walking away.

Discord turned his head to find Derpy in the same spot. She was staring at him. He smiled. "What can I help you with?"

"What was she like?"

What? Was she talking about... No. She couldn't be!

"Who?"

"My mom."

Discord felt his heart skip a beat. She remembered! "You... You remember your mother?"

She nodded and stepped closer. "She showed me some pictures. They were of you and her."

He had guessed as much. Startail wouldn't have thrown those cheesy photos out. They were good memories.

"What was she like?"

Discord stared down at the mare for a moment. How could he answer her? Where would he even start?

He motioned to the couch. Derpy went over and sat down.

He sat in his own chair and sighed. "You look just like her. Just as beautiful. Yes. I knew your mother. A long time ago."

Derpy narrowed her eyes. "How long?"

"Long enough. I met her before I was imprisoned by Celestia."

She tipped her head to the side. "Wasn't that like, a thousand years ago?"

He nodded. "A little more than that, but close enough. She got caught in one of my pranks. She thought it was funny. Nopony ever thinks my jokes are funny."

"What about the pictures? You two looked....happy."

Was it possible for a heart to split in two? Discord decided it must be. That's what it felt like right now. "Yes. We were happy. We... We loved each other."

------------------------------

Loved each other? Discord and her mother? Derpy tried to wrap her head around the concept. She felt like she should be shocked, angry even. She closed her eyes for a moment.

And that's all it took.

She was back in the old house. There was her mother. She held up the photo strip and smiled.

"I know I've never told you much about your father. I thought it was time you knew. This is him."

Derpy shook her head of its own accord. She realized that she was reliving her memory. This must be what she had actually done. "Who is he?"

"His name... His name was Discord."

A scream caught in Derpy's throat. Her voice cracked. "But he's the one that did so many horrible things! Princess Celestia and Luna turned him into stone! I've heard ponies in the village say how evil he was! How can he be my..."

She couldn't say it. Her mother put a hoof under her chin. "You must understand my dear, he wasn't like that when he was with me. He was kind. He was gentle."

Derpy found herself stepping backwards. "How do you know he wasn't pretending?! What if it was all a trick?!"

"It wasn't honey. He loved me. And I loved him back. We would have been together if he hadn't been discovered."

Derpy could feel the anger that was boiling in her mind. She had never been so angry before! "How could you choose to be with a...a.... A monster?"

Something was sparking in the back of her head. It felt foreign. It felt powerful.

"Please, try to understand. I knew what he was and still loved him."

The new feeling filled her entire being. "How?! How could you love him?!"

"Because I saw what lies beneath."

Everything faded to white as Derpy felt her entire body explode. Her vision cleared and she was on a grassy hill overlooking a town. Her eyes rolled up and she collapsed.

Derpy opened her eyes. She was looking at Discord. How long had it been? A minute? A second? It didn't matter. She felt the tears coming to her eyes.

"Dad."

------------------------------

Discord felt a tear roll down his cheek as he heard Derpy, his daughter, call him that. He wanted to embrace her, but she beat him to it. She flew up into his arms and held on tight.

"I'm sorry."

Discord put his arms around her. "What for?"

"I called you a monster. I yelled at Mom. I never got to tell her I was sorry!"

She cried into his shoulder. Discord smiled as another tear appeared. "She would have forgiven you. Just like me."

------------------------------

Twilight peeked out from the kitchen door to see Derpy hugging Discord. What had they talked about? Why was Derpy crying? Why was Discord crying?

"Oh my...."

She smiled as her head connected the dots. It had finally happened. And they were both happier because of it.

------------------------------

Discord set Derpy down and smiled at her. "Are you angry with me?"

The tears were still flowing, but she shook her head. "I don't know. I just found out I have a dad. But...it's you. I'm just happy right now to have a family."

He sat down next to her. "I am too."

Derpy smiled at him. "The last thing Mom said was that she had seen what lies beneath. I guess she saw something besides the Spirit of Chaos."

Discord thought for a moment.

Is it true Startail? Is there something in me that's good?

Yes. There had to be. He wouldn't be sitting with his daughter otherwise. There was good in him somewhere. And it was starting to show.

Of course a few jokes now and then wouldn't hurt.