• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 2,337 Views, 55 Comments

Rainbow Dash's Hidden Power - Mudkipman98



Over the years of her life, Rainbow Dash has come across all kinds of magic, from the elements of harmony to transdimentional crossings. But now, a new challenge awaits her. Will she awaken a new power within to save her universe, or die trying?

  • ...
11
 55
 2,337

More Magic and Rainbow's Hidden Potential

Everypony woke on the day after the coronation with the understanding that life would never be the same for their dear friend. They feared that she would move on and leave them behind, and their hearts were heavy with the idea. Applejack went into town to visit Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy at Sugarcube Corner while Rarity finished a new dress for a customer and went to the lake to sunbathe. Rainbow Dash was already there, flying high overhead and performing new aerial tricks that she insisted would "impress the wonderbolts" beyond what they had witnessed at the academy. As they tried their best to enjoy themselves, they were interrupted by letters from Twilight.

"Come to the library immediately. I have urgent news to give you."

And that's all the letters said. No mentions of what the news could be. Not even a ghost of a hint. Never the less, each pony reported to the library without hesitation. Twilight was at the door to greet them.

"Girls, I've been informed by Princess Celestia that a dark presence is approaching the planet. She has a terrible feeling about it, and wants us to use the Elements of Harmony to defend Equestria. She says that there powers may have grown now that I've become an alicorn. The ability allows us to use the Elements as some kind of tuning forks, helping us to track down some of the lost treasures used the defend Equestria in the old days before the Elements were discovered."

"But how will we know where to look in the first place, seein' as how there were tons of magic items in Equestria?" Applejack threw in. "I mean, which ones will be useful against this new force that we don't already have?"

"I'm not sure, but if the Princess believes we'll need them, then I trust her completely," said Twilight. "I'll need everypony's help on this, and that means you five. I don't want to involve any other ponies unless we have to. Rarity, we'll need some sort of traveling gear; something that will be light enough for Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and I to fly in."

"I shall start drawing up the patterns now," said Rarity as she ran off toward her shop.

"Pinkie Pie, we need some sort of weapon. If this new threat arrives before we find any weapons, we'll need a method of defense. If these invaders are as strong as the Princess believes, we'll be in serious trouble without some extra firepower."

"Do cupcakes work as weapons?" asked Pinkie, her eyes lighting up with ingenuity.

"It depends on what they're made of," said Twilight. "If you can find that Doctor and Derpy Whooves, they may be able to help." Pinkie nodded before running off toward the Town Hall, ready to begin her search.

"Fluttershy and Applejack, we need food, preferably something that can keep us traveling for a few days until we stop at another town."

"But, what about my animals? I can't leave Angel bunny without his carrots. He needs me," whisper Fluttershy with deep concern in her voice.

"Don't worry sugar cube," said Applejack as she put a hoof around Fluttershy's shoulder. "I'll ask Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo to take care of yer friends, okay?"

Fluttershy turned to her friend and smiled as she said, "Thanks you, Applejack."

"No sweat," said Applejack, already thinking about what kinds of apple treats she should bring for the ponies. "I'll get some pies and corn bread for the trip, Twilight. You can count on me." She sped off with Fluttershy close behind, begging her to slow down.

"What about me?" said Rainbow Dash. "What can I do to get ready?"

"I need to talk to you in private, Rainbow. Something's been bothering me, and I think you're the key to figuring it out." Twilight led Rainbow Dash inside and asked her to sit down at the table in the center. She then walked over to a shelf and pulled out a dusty, ancient-looking book. Blowing the ten layers of dust off of the cover, she brought it over to the table and opened it up.

"Long ago, when Discord attacked Equestria and Princess Celestia and Princess Luna stopped him, the Elements of Harmony were full of energy. Too much energy, in fact," explained Twilight. "To help drain the energy to a safe level, they charged certain families of pegasi with the excess energy, granting them extreme powers. The sisters reasoned that only the pegasi where wise enough to control the power without abusing it. As those families progressed, the powers that were granted to them began to die out and the number of family members with these unique powers decreased greatly. Now, no pony has those powers anymore. They've all seemed to die off. However, it's rumored that some pegasi still show potential in using them. I believe that you may house that potential, Rainbow, but you have no way to unlock it. When I said that we were searching for magic tools and weapons left behind in the old days, I actually meant that we'd search for some of the ancient ruins depicting how to unlock this secret power. If we happen to find any magic tools along the way, we'll definitely use them, but they won't be our true focus."

"So you're saying that I might be one who still has that kind of ability? To use the energy from the Elements of Harmony?"

"It's a definite possibility, but I can't be certain. I believe that the reason the Elements of Harmony's energy was rainbow colored when we fought Nightmare Moon was because the Elements resonated with the energy inside you, changing their appearance. If we can find those ruins, we might be able to use them to reawaken those abilities."

"Well then, what are we waiting for?!" shouted Rainbow Dash. "If I might be able to use this 'secret energy' or whatever to protect Equestria, then I'll do anything to get it."

"That's what I like to hear, Rainbow," said Twilight, beaming at her friend's enthusiasm. "Let's gather the others and get ready to leave. The Princesses know my true intentions and support me 100%. They'll help if we need it."

/)*#*(\

After finding Applejack and Fluttershy, then stopping by Rarity's to get the adventuring gear, the hunt began for Pinkie Pie. If she found the Doctor, she could be anywhere in time and space. Thankfully though, she was found in the town square only an hour after the search began.

"Hey guys! I just had the greatest adventure EVER with the Doctor and Ditsy. We went to a cotton candy planet with chocolate rain. It was the best! Also, the Doctor found out how to turn cupcakes into weapons! If they're made of sodium instead of bread, and you get them wet, they make one heck of a bomb! Only problem is, you can't eat 'em," frowned Pinkie as she finished.

The thought of Pinkie Pie having a bomb scared the tar out of everypony in the area, even the ones who didn't know the full extent of possibilities.

"Pinkie Pie, you are SO random," said Rainbow Dash absentmindedly. Everyone chuckled and prepared to move on. Only Rainbow Dash and Twilight knew the gravity of the situation. And, in the end, only they could guess what would happen if they found the relics in time.