• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 6,494 Views, 202 Comments

The Queen Is Dead, Long Live the Queen - Diamond Sparkle



Rarity finds out that she is not who she thought she was at all...

  • ...
36
 202
 6,494

Explaining the Situation

"You will find this hard to believe, I know, but I always was a changeling, I just didn't know it. My hive was attacked when I was a little helpless grub, and my parents sent me away disguised as a unicorn foal to keep me safe. And also to give me a chance to grow up unspoilt and learn what my own talents were. So that's why I longed to be a princess when I was young; because I really was one without knowing it. And that must be why I loved being loved so much, because it was providing me with so much of my food. I know you probably think that I'm telling you the tallest tale that you have ever heard, but it's the truth. I'm offering you a real chance to make peace with the changelings, or at least my hive. I'm not the only Changeling Queen out there, and some of the Queens may have very different ideas to mine and see ponies only as tasty love sources. But if you and me and my Hive can make peace, and prove that our races don't have to fear and prey on each other, then other Hives may slowly come out into the open. I may be a changeling but I am still the Rarity that you know and enjoy being with, and I am still loyal to you and to Equestria. "

Celestia was silent for a long while. "Then she spoke. "You transforming in front of me is a little like if a pony was found with a blood-stained spear beside a dead pony, and yet still saying that he or she did not murder the pony and just found it lying dead with a spear stuck in it. However, I admire your courage in coming to speak with me all alone like this, especially given my views on Changelings after they made a fiasco of my niece's wedding by attacking during it and very nearly killing me. I'm going to give you and your Hive a chance and allow you to speak to the nobles of Canterlot, and then to allow at least some of your Hive into Canterlot, with certain conditions. No starting any fights, no abductions of my subjects, and your subjects must clearly identify themselves, either by staying in their changeling forms or by having a clear R as a cutie mark on their flanks. It won't be easy. Changelings are feared and hated in this city more then any other. Queen Chrysalis's Hive damaged and plundered the city, and there were several pony deaths caused by them. But not all Changelings are the same, there are good and evil changelings just like there are good and evil ponies. And I refuse to give in to ignorant stereotyping. I will do my part if you do yours. Now change back into Rarity-shape and I will send my Royal Heralds to summon the nobles together."

With a flash of green flame Rarity resumed her pony-form. It took some time for all the nobles of Canterlot to get the royal message, but by sunset they were all gathered together in front of the royal palace wondering what their Princess wanted from them. Princess Celestia and Rarity appeared together upon the Royal Balcony. Celestia spoke slowly and clearly to the crowd below. "O Lords and Ladies of Canterlot City, today I discovered that the bearer of the Element of Generosity, Rarity, is and has always been a changeling." There were panicked cries from down below, and several of the noble ponies tried to flee in terror, only to find that the exits had been sealed off by the Royal Guards to prevent a stampede. At a nod from Celestia, Rarity changed into her true shape and said "I know what this looks like, you think that the real Rarity is dead or cocooned somewhere in some hidden changeling hive. But that is not the case. I have been a Changeling Princess all my life, I just never knew it. I am now a Changeling Queen, but a friendly one. I'm not like Queen Chrysalis at all, I have no desire to occupy all of Equestria and enslave the pony race. I want to make peace between the changelings and the ponies, as both our races have a lot to offer each other, and it would be a waste of time, money and lives to go on fighting each other."

The fear down below quickly lowered, and a noble that she recognised, Filthy Rich, shouted up to her. "How can we ever trust the changelings? The last time I saw them,, was when they were trying to take my precious Diamond Tiara away from me."

"All changelings are different, and there are plenty of different Hives as well. Chrysalis's Hive didn't guard it's central love store properly and let greedy changelings consume the love that was meant for the whole Hive. They attacked Canterlot because they were just days away from emptying their remaining love reserves and watching their little ones starve. Adult changelings can survive without love for weeks without serious harm, but the very little ones and the unborn eggs will starve to death without love. They did it for the future of their hive, and they are hated and detested by the other changeling nests and hives all over Equestria and the nearby lands because of it. Our hive is not like theirs and we are willing to trade and earn love rather then just stealing it by guile or brute force. Give us a chance, that's all we ask for. We have jewels and plenty of other things that you ponies and griffins would want to buy. Also, if for example a couple had lost their foal or chick to illness or murder, in exchange for the love that we need, they could have time with a willing replacement and lessen their grief. Think about it. Would you rather have friendly changelings behaving themselves or unfriendly changelings kidnapping ponies and behaving badly in general?"

Rarity sensed the fear and hatred down below slowly dissipating as if blown on the wind.

Princess Celestia said "In a couple of days, a few changelings will be allowed in from Rarity's Hive; if they behave themselves, her Hive as a whole may visit Canterlot and other Equestrian cities and towns. But it's a two way thing, any hate crimes against peaceful changelings will earn jail time for those caught committing such crimes. I really want this to work. In time, if Rarity and her Hive give permission, well-behaved ponies will be allowed to visit her Hive. Go back to your duties, subjects."