• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 723 Views, 11 Comments

Apocrypha - Somepony New



When Twilight Sparkle appears before Alex White during a storm, their lives begin to change. As the machinations of unknown foes begin to unfold, her faith is tested. One storm ends, another begins. Will they be able to overcome this foe?

  • ...
3
 11
 723

Chapter 4

Twilight gaped in amazement as the cars continued to drive by. Her head would turn to follow each of them as they passed, only to reverse as another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction would grab her attention. Alex attempted to smile as he watched her, but something had been weighing down on him; something he had been too afraid to ask.

“Are you sure that humans can’t do magic?” Twilight glanced at him as she sat down on the bench beside him. “This all seems pretty magical to me.”

“I am quite sure, Twilight. This is all done with science. I’d try and explain it to you, but to be completely honest, I am not fully aware of how they work.” He scratched his head. “I have a basic understanding of it all, but I couldn’t answer your questions in enough details to do it justice.”

When he noticed her frown, he added, “But when we get to the library, I am certain there are books on the subject. More books than you would ever need.”

“I hope so.” She grinned at him before turning her attention back to the passing cars. After a few moments, when she noticed Alex wasn’t saying much, Twilight decided she should break the silence. “So, do you have any family? Like brothers or sisters? I hope you don’t mind me asking.”

“Not at all. I’m an only child.” He inhaled slowly for a few seconds before continuing. “At least, as far as I know.”

“As far as you know?”

“I was an orphan. My parents couldn’t have children, so they adopted me when I was very young.” Alex couldn’t recall the last time he had thought about it. His foster parents had been forthright with him, never hiding the fact that he was adopted, so he never really questioned it. They had loved him, and that was all that mattered to him. “My mother died when I was sixteen. My father... he passed away last year.”

Twilight’s grin had vanished. “I’m so sorry.”

Alex shook his head and dismissed it with a wave of his hand. “Don’t be. They lived a good life, and are in a better place now.”

“But I should have been more considerate with my questions.” She lowered her head and stared at the ground.

“You had every right to know. Especially after all I’ve learned about you without your permission. I’ve already mourned enough for my parents.” When she looked back up at him, he gave her a small, reassuring smile. “My father used to say, ‘you shouldn’t walk into the future backwards, or you’ll miss everything around you that’s worth living for.’”

Her smile returned. “That... is pretty wise advice.”

Alex nodded his head silently before turning away and gazing out into the street. “Twilight, there is something that I need to ask you, and it is going to sound awkward. I don’t want to upset you either, but...”

Twilight stared at him cautiously. “Okay, what’s wrong?”

He shook his head and sighed. “Nothing’s wrong. It’s just when I saw you upset before, it became the furthest thought in my mind. But now, I can’t help but think about it.”

“Oh, alright. What’s on your mind?”

“Well, to be completely blunt,” Alex turned back to her, “are you real?”

“Am I real?” Twilight’s mouth widened and her brow furrowed as she looked at him in disbelief.

“I mean, are you really real? When I saw you before I thought I was dreaming, or hallucinating, or that I had died.” He felt his voice begin to crack, so took a second to collect himself before continuing. “What I really want to know is, am I going crazy?”

They both sat speechless on the bench a few moments. Cars passed by, the sounds of the busy street filling the long silence between them.

And then Twilight suddenly burst into laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Alex felt his face flush with embarrassment.

“I’m sorry... I’m sorry.” It was all she could manage to say between laughs. When she finally calmed down enough, she went on. “You just looked so serious, it was too hard to keep from laughing.”

“I was being serious.” He half-frowned.

She wiped a tear from her eye. “Alex, as far as I know, you are perfectly sane and I can say, without a doubt in my mind, that I am definitively real.”

“But how can I be sure?” He looked away once more.

Twilight placed her hand on his arm. “You’re just going to have to trust me.”

Alex turned back to face her. The way she smiled at him, and the way she so matter-of-factly brushed off his concerns had started to ease his mind. He smiled and nodded his head appreciatively. Even if he didn’t believe her, he would know shortly when they got on the bus; he would have to pay for her. That proof wasn’t necessary though since he already knew. Twilight was real. Equestria was real.

Magic was real.

The screeching of air brakes snatched up both of their attentions. At the intersection nearby, a large blue bus had stopped at the corner, and was slowly beginning its turn towards them.

“What in Equestria is that?”

“That,” Alex took in a breath before finishing, “is the bus.”

Twilight’s head snapped back toward him. “We are going to get in that thing?” Her eyes were filled with a mixture of excitement and fear. “I’m not so sure about putting my life in the hands of some machine.”

Alex laughed. “I’ve seen you riding a chariot being pulled by pegasi, through the sky with no form of securing strap, and not so much as blink. I find that far more dangerous, and that’s before I take my fear of heights into account.” He shuddered at the idea.

“Really?” She placed a finger on her chin. “I never believed it to be as treacherous as you make it sound.”

Alex nodded. “There’s not enough liquor in the world to get me to even step foot on that sky chariot. When it comes to this, there’s nothing to worry about, Twilight.”

Her eyes darted back and forth from the bus to Alex. “I don’t know, that bus sounds... hungry.”

He stood and turned to face her with his arm outstretched. “You’re just going to have to trust me.”

She hesitated, unsure of what to do, and looked up at him. He nodded his head slightly, and grinned reassuringly at her. Uneasily, she reached up and put her hand on his. He took it and helped her to stand. When the brakes of the bus let out their familiar squeal again, he could feel her tense, but she did not shy away.


Sunlight poured through parted red velvet drapes, illuminating the office. Countless books filled the shelves lining two of the walls in the room, along with a few antiques. The dark oak floor was accented by a pair of earthen brown, leather chairs which sat facing an elaborate bloodwood desk. The rich earth tones of the decor seemed to radiate warmth, making the room feel inviting.

A statuesque man sat behind the desk, his elbows resting upon it with his fingers entwined as he watched the door to the office expectantly. His short, straight ebony hair was styled and gelled. He was dressed in a black Armani suit that perfectly framed his blood red shirt and tie.

“Sir, Mr. Teger is here to see you,” said a voice over the intercom.

“Send him in, Rebecca.”

A few moments later, the door to the office opened. A pudgy man entered wearing a cheap gray suit and a dull blue shirt. His hair was combed over the top of his head in a futile attempt to hide a clearly visible bald spot. As he waddled his way over to the desk, the door closed behind him.

“Mr. Isham, thank you for seeing me.” The man offered his hand.

He shook the outstretched hand and smiled. “Charles, I’ve already told you. Call me Malcolm.” His voice was powerful, but seemed cordial enough. He let go of his hand and motioned to the chair. “Please, sit.”

“Thank you... Malcolm.”

He waited for Charles to be seated before he began. “Now, what brings you to my office this fine autumn day?” He returned his hands to their folded position and smiled.

“Well, you see, I have run into a bit of a problem.” Sweat beaded on his forehead as he rubbed his hands together nervously. His vision was focused on the floor and then the window; he seemed to be making it a point to not look Malcolm in the eyes.

“But of course you have. I don’t believe you would be here if it were otherwise, now would you?” Malcolm stared at the man, his icy blue gaze seeming to pierce through him. He had little patience for small talk, and even less for those who dawdled around subjects instead of getting straight to the point.

“Yes, I suppose you are right.” He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat. “There is this girl–”

“A girl, hmm? I suspect not the missus?” His eyes shifted to Charles hands, whose stubby fingers were fidgeting with a worn, gold wedding band.

“She claims she has pictures!” Charles blurted out, his hands balled into fists, slamming down the armrests on the chair, punctuating his sentence. His moment of anger caused him to forget that he wanted to avert his eyes. When Malcolm’s gaze met his own, he sunk back into the chair; he needed no further warning. “If those pictures get out, it will ruin me.”

There was a pause as Malcolm contemplated. “Yes... I suppose that would be a problem now, wouldn’t it?”

He nodded. “Clearly you can see the predicament I am in. That’s why I need your help.” Sweat was practically seeping out of his pores. “I have nowhere else to turn.”

“And I suppose it would be too much to ask for you to restrain your extracurricular activities.”

“You’d forgive a man for his vices, wouldn’t you?” He pressed his lips together, feigning an attempt at a boyish smile.

The emptiness of it only served to further test Malcolm. He wanted to throw the man through the window of his office. He wondered if he would repent on the way down? Would he bounce from all his excess mass or just splatter against the pavement? Most likely he would leave a mark of filth that no amount of scrubbing would clean. The man practically oozed wherever he went. The leather chairs would undoubtedly need to be cleaned after he departed.

“Will you help?”

He was broken from his daydream by Charles’ plea. “You may go.” He motioned with his hand as if to shoo away a pest.

“But will you do it? Will you take care of–”

Malcolm interrupted him. “Yes, I will deal with your problem. You needn’t worry, Charles. Everything will be all better by tomorrow.” The corners of his mouth turned up slightly, smirking at the distraught man’s plight.

“Excellent!” Charles clapped his hands together, a wave of relief washed over him. “Her name is–”

Malcolm held up a hand to silence him. “That won’t be necessary.”

“Oh, right. No need for names.” He cleared his throat once more before continuing. “Well, she’s the blonde that works at the library.”

Malcolm lowered his hand and leveled a contemptuous glare at his guest. “I said that it will not be necessary, Charles. I do not like repeating myself.”

He looked at Malcolm, perplexed. “What do you mean, that it won’t be necessary? How will you know who I am talking about without her name, or what she even looks like?”

“You have your methods, I have mine.” Malcolm pressed a button on the intercom. “Rebecca, please draw up the paperwork for Mr. Teger. He will be right out.”

“Yes, sir.”

Malcolm turned his chair away from Charles and gazed out the window. “Rebecca will see to everything. Good day, Mr. Mayor.”

Charles stood from the chair. “Thank you, Mr.–”

“Malcolm.” he preempted.

“Right. Thank you, Malcolm.” He turned and as swiftly as a man of his stature could, headed for the door.

Malcolm sat in silence for a few moments after Charles left before speaking. “Misery, get in here. Now.”

A silhouette of a man stepped from one of the bookshelves. The shadows that clung to him faded into black vapor, slowly dissipating into nothingness. The hood of his grey sweater concealed most of his face, save for a scar that crossed his right eye. His ripped blue jeans were covered with various stains, some of dubious origins.

“What do you want?” His tone was flat, as if he were just saying the words out of an obligation. He didn’t seem to care at all about the subject or the answer.

Malcolm disregarded his despondency. “Something is amiss, Misery.”

“So.”

“I believe our wait is almost over. The veil has been breached.”

Misery harrumphed and lethargically waved his hand in a circle, as if to tell Malcolm to get to the point. “And that is important to me because?”

Malcolm spun his chair around to face him. “Because, you morose bastard, there are only two ways the veil could be breached. Either someone from here managed to cross over, which up until now hasn’t been possible.” As Malcolm’s grin grew wider, his tongue licked his lips. “Or, something which is infinitely more likely: one of them has crossed over to my side.”

Malcolm stood from his chair and walked over to the window. “They won't be able to keep me out much longer, Misery. Starlight's magic will fade." He could see Misery's slow smile growing in the window's reflection. It seemed there was one thing that could excite the man. "Soon we will be able to go home, and then... we can have our revenge."

Author's Note:

Pre-read by: NotSoSubtle
Edited by: FrontSevens