• Published 6th Jan 2015
  • 718 Views, 4 Comments

The Letter - Shawnzy



Twilight Sparkle is awoken in the middle of the night by somepony pounding on the door to the library.

  • ...
0
 4
 718

1 - A Letter, and Its Contents

The sounds of hooves pounding the ground and ragged breaths pervaded the bleak night's silence. While most of the town slept, one mare ran with everything she had toward the Ponyville library.

*********

Sleeping soundly, ever-faithful dragon assistant nearby, the last thing the resting librarian expected was to be awakened before the morning. She didn't expect anything, in fact, for she was asleep.

BANG BANG BANG

Loud knocking on wood echoed throughout the hollow tree that was the Ponyville library, stirring the sleeping librarian. She slowly raised her head, face conveying the annoyance she felt at being woken up in the middle of the night. Hearing nothing more, she lay her head back down on the pillow, a smile growing on her face as she thought of going back to sleep.

BANG BANG BANG

The dragon at her bedside murmured in his sleep, kicking at his blankets soundlessly. The young mare raised her head, sighing in resignation. It seemed that whoever it was visiting the library was not going to leave until their knocks were answered.

BANG BANG BANG

With an unflattering growl, she prepared a long lecture about the rudeness of waking a pony up from their sleep in the middle of the night as she walked slowly downstairs, toward the entrance of the library. Taking a glance at the clock on a nearby wall, she noted that the time was barely past 2:30 in the morning.

BANG BANG BANG

Returning her angry gaze at the door, she barked, "Hold your horses!" just loud enough so that she didn't wake the young dragon upstairs. Hoping it was loud enough for whoever was behind the door to hear as well, she quickly and quietly trotted the rest of the way to the door.

BANG

Recoiling at the sudden, final, knock on the door, she regained her composure with a sigh, reaching out for the door with her telekinesis, her horn glowing a deep, bright lavender--the anger showing itself through her magical aura. Teeth grinding, she forced the door open and prepared to give the lecture of her lifetime.

Sticking her head outside, and taking a preemptive deep breath, she noticed there was nopony at the door. She looked to the left, right, and to the sky, but there was nothing to indicate the somepony that had just assaulted her door in the middle of the night.

"Really?!" the practically burning librarian half-shouted into the night. With an ultimate, "Ugh," she telekinetically grabbed the door once more.

Under the glow of her horn, she saw something she hadn't before: a single envelope, sitting in front of the door. Her previous anger and tiredness all but disappeared as her gaze settled upon the envelope. Grabbing hold of it with her magic, she lifted it up to eye level, subconsciously walking inside and shutting the door behind herself as the envelope took over all conscious thought.

The envelope itself was plain and clean, except that it had crude writing on the front that could have been mistaken for a foal's scribbles. Focusing her still-tired eyes on the letters, she was able to make out what it said:

TWILIGHT SPARKLE
TREE LIBRARY

"...Tree library?" she softly inquired upon the letter, an eyebrow raising in disbelief. Receiving no answer from the inanimate object, she moved on to inspecting every other visible detail of the envelope as it floated quietly above her living room table.

Though clearly addressed to her, there were no markings except for the writing. Not even any dirt from the ground. No stamp, no return address, nothing. Which means it had to have been delivered personally. Especially with a recipient address like that. Question after question invaded her mind as she stared at the letter, still floating in her magical grasp.

Who was it from? Why the address if it was dropped off personally? Why wasn't it delivered through the regular mail service? Why was it delivered so late at night? Why did the knocking have to be so loud?

Her inner monologue was interrupted by a yawn, reminding the young mare of the rest she was forced from thanks to the mysterious door-assailant. Her magic fading from her horn, the letter fell silently.

As she quietly returned to her bed, the unanswered questions about the letter were miles from her mind. She tucked herself in, falling back asleep as soon as she released the magic required to do so.

Downstairs, the letter silently sat on a table, waiting for the mare to whom it was addressed to open it.

**********

The morning sun shone brightly through the open window of the library. Its warm embrace was soon felt by the sleeping mare, who stirred and finally woke up with a quiet, content, yawn. Getting up slowly, the young librarian went about her normal morning routine in no hurry.

Make bed, brush teeth, brush mane, wake up Spike, and wait for breakfast. A simple list compared to the mare's countless other ones, but a list all the same.

When Spike finally woke up, Twilight made sure he wouldn't be going back to bed by magically whisking away his blanket. Before he could protest, she shot him her best grin in hopes that he would give up hope of going back to bed. Luckily for her stomach, it worked, and Spike begrudgingly walked down the stairs and into the kitchen to begin working on their breakfast.

"Good morning, Spike! Always nice to see you get up so early." said the lavender mare to her assistant.

"You only say that because I make the waffles around here," the dragon responded as he tiredly puffed his chest and pointed a claw toward himself.

"Oh come on, Spike," she began, doing her morning stretches as she spoke, "You know I love you just as much as I love your waffles!"

The dragon quietly replied, stifling a yawn, "So I mean as much to you as waffles?"

Pony and dragon shared a silent stare for a few moments before bursting into laughter at their own banter.

"Never gets old, does it, Spike?" The dragon responded only with a nod and a grin as he went back to work on their breakfast.

Finishing her stretches, the mare walked to the door and opened it, looking around outside. Spotting what she was looking for, she levitated the morning's newspaper in front of her as she walked back into the library.

Opening the newspaper and taking a seat at the table, the mare got ready to enjoy another (probably) peaceful day in Ponyville. It wasn't until she saw the envelope on the table that she recalled the events that transpired the night before.

Curiosity overtaking her once more, she dropped the newspaper and replaced it with the letter. Staring intently at it, she began inspecting it in the same manner as before.

As far as she could see, it was just a normal envelope, save for the fact that it was delivered with no stamp or legitimate address.

Wait, thought the mare, envelope levitating closer to her face, it's in perfect shape! No teeth marks, no dirt... That could only mean it was delivered by a unicorn! Which would also explain the phantom knocking on my door... Even with this revelation, there came only more questions. There were only so many unicorns in Ponyville, after all.

Which means, she began to think, focusing even more on the letter, this was delivered on hoof, by a unicorn, and judging by when it was delivered, he or she is unaffiliated with the local postal service.

"Now the question is: who would deliver a letter by hoof in the middle of the night... to me of all ponies?" the young librarian asked herself quietly. Just how important was it that I receive it, if it were delivered at such a time?

The mare was so enraptured by her thoughts that she didn't notice the movement behind her, closing in quickly and carefully.

"Waffles are done!" Spike shouted from behind Twilight, breaking her concentration. She jumped from her seat and her magic cut off, letting the envelope once more slip from her grasp and fall onto the table. "Oh, a letter! I didn't see the mailpony come by. Say, what time is it anyway?"

Twilight, still visibly shaken from the sudden shouting, turned to him, staring daggers. "Spike," she began, breathing in and out deeply, "please don't sneak up on me like that." With a sheepish grin and a nod, it was clear that Spike understood his mistake and all was forgiven. "And the mailpony hasn't come yet. This letter was delivered last night."

"Oh," the dragon began, curiosity finding its way into his words, "but why would somepony deliver it at night? What does it say?" Moving the waffles from one hand to the other, his gaze shifted constantly between the letter and Twilight.

"That, Spike, is precisely what I plan on finding out." Picking up the letter, again, she seemed to puff up with excitement as she was finally preparing to open it. "Oh, and you can put the waffles down. I'll get to them in a minute."

"Sure thing, I want to see what's up with this letter, too." the young assistant placed the waffles onto the table and hopped up onto a chair. "Oh, can I open it, Twilight? Please? You know I love a good mystery!"

Mulling it over in her head, she rolled her eyes and floated the letter over to the young dragon, who greedily grasped it in his claws. Reaching up to the seal, he made quick work of tearing it open.

BOOM

A small explosion rang through the library as Spike was thrown back with his chair as large amounts confetti and sparks flew from the envelope, some popping into fireworks as they struck the small dragon's body.

"Spike!" Twilight shouted for her assistant, standing up and moving quickly around the table. "Are you okay?!"

The only response she received was a moan from a pile of confetti that covered the small dragon. Lifting a curled-up Spike out of the confetti with her magic, she placed him on top of the table. As his side connected with the sturdy wood, he winced and groaned, sending the already-distressed mare into a panic.

"Spike, hold on! I'll be right back!" Twilight's horn shone brightly for a moment before she disappeared in a bright flash of lavender.

Appearing in front of her friend Fluttershy's cottage with a burst of magical energy, she rushed up to the door and knocked frantically. The small, humble, cottage was bustling with activity even at such an early hour, but when she knocked the noise inside hushed noticeably.

"Fluttershy?!" the distressed mare yelled through the door, "Please, I need your help!"

"Twilight?" a soft voice responded from the inside of the cottage, "Need help? Oh! Angel, get the door!"

The pitter-patter of small, padded, feet running toward the door was barely audible as the increasingly anxious mare leaned from hoof to hoof in rapid succession. The door opened, revealing the small form of Angel Bunny looking up at Twilight, a wary look in his intelligent eyes.

"Oh, Twilight, are you alright?" Fluttershy's voice came from behind the door, which now opened further to reveal the butter-yellow pegasus mare with two medical kits designed to resemble saddlebags hanging at her sides.

"Fluttershy! I'm fine--it's Spike that needs your help!" Twilight spoke quickly, worried more and more about her young assistant by the second.

"Spike?" inquired the pegasus, "What happened? Where is he?" She poked her head out of her home to search around for the aforementioned dragon.

"No time to explain. He's back at the library," the unicorn responded. "Grab hold of me, I'm going to teleport us."

Nodding, a strong look in her eyes, Fluttershy quickly wrapped a hoof around her friend's withers and held on, shutting her eyes tightly.

The unicorn's horn shone with magical energy once more, and the pair of mares disappearing in a flash. Appearing in front of the library, the unicorn opened the door and ushered Fluttershy inside in a hurry.

Fluttershy's well-trained eyes immediately went to the groaning dragon curled up on the table. She quickly rushed toward him, saddle-kits already being opened by her wings.

"Oh, my!" she gasped, bringing a stethoscope to Spike's chest. "What happened to him?" she inquired of her friend as she began searching her bags for what she needed to help the injured dragon.

"He opened a letter, and it exploded with confetti and fireworks. Both hit him from point blank range, and he fell into that pile," Twilight explained, pointing to the confetti pile with a forehoof. Her hoof lowered slightly as she realized how odd her explanation sounded, even if it was the truth.

Fluttershy's gaze never left Spike, her concentration unbreakable. Her friend's explanation hadn't even fazed her, it seemed.

"I see," she stated simply, applying medical herbs to Spike's injuries. "Well, the good news is that he's just a little hurt from the explosion." Applying bandages on top of the herbs, she elaborated, "Thankfully, his scales are resistant to fire, so the fireworks didn't cause any burns, and the confetti only hurt because of the force behind the explosion that shot them into him." Finishing her wrapping and picking up the dragon in her wings, she said, "All he's going to need is a little bedrest, and he should be fine in a day or two."

"Oh, thank you, Fluttershy! You have no idea how relieved I am," Twilight responded, releasing a long breath she didn't realize she was holding. Fluttershy picked up the young dragon with the help of a wing and placed him gently on her back.

"Of course, Twilight. That's what friends are for!" Marching up the stairs, dragon kept still through the use of her wings, the pegasus mare placed him in his bed, tucking him in with a motherly touch. "The poor dear. Thank goodness dragons are so tough."

Gliding back down to her friend, she pulled her into a tight hug with her forehooves. "He'll be better in no time, Twilight. Don't you worry that big brain of yours."

"Thank you, Fluttershy," Twilight responded softly, returning the hug in kind. Releasing the hug, Fluttershy packed what things she had left on the table and said her goodbyes. Reminding Twilight to let Spike rest again, and giving her one more hug, she quietly left.

Sighing heavily, Twilight sat down in front of the table, staring at the letter that mocked her as it lay open--the edges where Spike ripped it open now dark with explosive residue.

That was meant for me. I let Spike open it, and now he's hurt, she thought with a sigh. Lifting it up in her telekinetic grasp, she decided that whatever else this envelope contained would only be allowed to hurt her.

Opening it from the now-present tear, she pulled out a single piece of plain folded paper. With caution, she unfolded it at hooves-length magically. When nothing exploded and it was opened completely, she moved it closer to her face to read.

Twilight Sparkle,

I realize it must have been quite a shock opening the letter to the shower of dazzling magic that only few unicorns could possibly enchant such a small envelope with, but I assure you that the show is over. Fear not as you continue to read, for no other magic will be interrupting.

Now, receiving a letter from me, the Great and P

Twilight stopped reading the letter. She knew who sent the letter, and who had, apparently inadvertently, hurt Spike. It was Trixie. Trixie had enchanted the envelope to put on a show for me? What's she playing at? She turned her attention away from her thoughts and picked up where she had left off.

Now, receiving a letter from me, the Great and Powerful Trixie, might come as somewhat of a shock to you. Fear not, though my apology at the end of our last encounter may have seemed half-hearted, I assure you that I have become a completely different pony since that time.

I am no longer living in the shadow of Twilight Sparkle, for I have come to realize that I am the only Great and Powerful Trixie! That I cast my own shadow for others to live in! Yet, it feels wrong.

Since only you will read this, I'll be honest with my words. I can't seem to enjoy my line of work since I came to this realization. I no longer want ponies to feel inferior to me, but rather to enjoy my shows. Yet ponies still show resentment toward me for my previous showboating. I still have a hard time keeping entertained, without showing off, those who know not of my prior indiscretions.

I'm at an impasse, Twilight Sparkle, and I need your help.

I will be leaving this letter on your doorstep sometime within the day of writing this. I am currently staying in my trailer, which I have parked near the edge of town opposite the Everfree. Please come to me, Twilight Sparkle. I'm afraid of how the ponies in this town will respond to seeing me for a third time.

I'll be waiting,

The Great and Powerful Trixie Lulamoon

Author's Note:

This was rewritten once or twice when I was still in high school. A few years old, but still the most creative writing I've done in a long time. I don't know how to save edits made in-site.

Comments ( 4 )

2168641
Thank you so much! :)

Very well written

I demand to know why such a wonderful piece of writing is unfinished! :pinkiegasp:

Seriously though, it's well written and very intriguing. Good job!

Login or register to comment