• Published 9th Mar 2014
  • 1,783 Views, 135 Comments

Valley Of Rainbows: Seeking Solutions - Sparx



Rainbow Dash must seek out the lost Elements of harmony to aid in the potential threat of coming war, with the aid of some strange allies

  • ...
5
 135
 1,783

Of Sacrifice, Loss, And Reward

“We shouldn’t have left them!”

“Well what choice did we have?!” Applejack shouted in return to Rainbow’s outburst.

The two of them and Gilda stood above the beach within eyesight of the dogs, Fluttershy, and Lyra.

“We could have helped them! Stayed and fought!” Rainbow insisted.

“How? That dragon wants you, Rainbow, and he was willin’ ta take down everyone and everythin’ around him ta do it!”

My crew is my problem!” Gilda jumped in. “Why was I brought along? I am captain of my ship, and if it goes down, I go down with it!”

“You should be thankin’ us for bringin’ you along!” Applejack snapped.

“Why? I didn’t ask for it! I was fine!” Gilda spat back. She approached, standing breast to breast with Applejack, staring viciously into her eyes.

“We abandoned them, Applejack!” Rainbow Dash added. “Were they only a distraction for us to get away? How is that going to help? You heard the lizard; he traveled a long long way to find me. He’s not gonna give up after that!”

“So ya would have preferred we leave you to die there on that ship with everyone else an’ let Equestria get run over by some war hungry hybrid mutant?” Applejack roared, pushing Gilda away from her.

“What the fuck did you call me!?” Gilda roared. “I don’t give a shit about Gallows, but don’t insult my kind!”

“Why the hay not?” Applejack huffed. “Seems all ‘yer kind’ ever do is try an’ start trouble! You may have gotten us around, but don’t think Ah don’t remember the way you behaved when we first met! Hell, why do Ah even have to? Let’s take a look at what you were doin’ back against Owayix. Ya went and lost yer damn mind!”

“Keep goin’, hick! I’m more than willing to lose it again!” Gilda grabbed a hold of her Morningstar, ready to make a move as she snarled.

“Would you both shut up?” Rainbow intervened. “This conversation isn’t about the war, it’s about the fact that we just left dozens of creatures to die just so we could get away! Knowingly!

“It is about the war, Rainbow! That’s why yer here!” AJ huffed. “An’ you need ta get outta mah face while you still have one.”

Gilda grabbed ahold of Applejack by the throat, breathing heavily.

Gilda!” Rainbow brought her hoof down on Gilda’s talon, pulling it away. “I don’t agree with what they pulled either, but we can’t start turning on one another just because we’re pissed off!”

“An’ there’s nothin’ else we can do about it! It’s done!” Applejack dusted off her chest, still glaring at Gilda. “So how about we start puttin’ it aside an’ focus on what we should be doin’ now?

“Just sweep it under the rug then?” Gilda growled.

Applejack let out a sigh and took a deep breath. “No. Ah can’t ask that, or really want that. Ah’m only askin’ that we put the issue on hold until we have a better time ta discuss it. We can’t simply let this go unspoken, but we ain’t in the position ta speak about it right now.” Gilda seemed to calm down, backing off as her breathing returned to normal. “We can sit here an’ yell about the sins we’ve done, or we can continue with our job, an’ prepare for when that big lizard eventually finds us again. If’n yer still wantin’ ta yell at me after that, Ah’ll take it. Ah’ll even fund whatever sort of memorial services you believe they deserve when we get back home, but first we have ta get there.”

Dash and Gilda stood quietly, looking down at the ground. Gilda let out a sigh, stowing her weapon on her hip once again and rubbing at the top of her beak. “I don’t know if I wanna beat the absolute fuck out of you for abandoning my crew, taking me with you, talking shit, or for actually making sense among all the shit going on… I’ll figure it out later… but you’re right. So what do we do?”

The tension in the area dispersed, the three of them finding it easier to breathe and feeling like a pressure was lifting off of their backs. As Rainbow looked back down on the beach though, she felt a familiar, heavier weight pulling at her. “We do what we can, figure out our next course, and hope we take it together.”

Gilda and Applejack nodded in agreement.


She was painted cream with strawberry pink and blueberry mane. My sweetest darling ne’er did me wrong. She was short of temper but warm of heart. Let my story tell of her continuing inspiration and the strength she gave me, the reason I fought for our land, the reason I had given up my original journey. Even now, in death, I think only of you, Bon Bon…

Lyra’s eyes fluttered open. Or perhaps the gods will see me returning to you yet. She shook her head, taking in her surroundings. “I see I got us out of there just in time.” Her tone didn’t have the usual giddy excitement it normally did. “What’s the situation?” She remained on her stomach, unable to walk or exert herself.

Lyra was ignored, however, as she noticed the dogs and Fluttershy were putting all their focus into an unconscious Rover. Memories of the moment right before the teleport rushed into the forefront of her mind. “Right… bad.” She groaned and tried to get up onto her hooves, legs wobbling while she rose. “How can I help? We need him up and ready to go as fast as possible. We have a dragon on our tails.”

Fluttershy didn’t take her eyes off of Rover, motioning a hoof towards Fido as she continued to apply herbs and salves to Rover’s open chest.

Fido walked over to Lyra; a thick, violet leaf in his paw. “Miss Fluttershy requires silence and concentration if she is to have even the slightest chance of saving Rover’s life. We understand time is vital, but we cannot be rushed.” He held out the strange plant. “This should allow you to walk and perform minor spells again, but do not exert yourself. Find our destination, make a plan with the others, and please give Miss Fluttershy her space.”

Lyra understood and grabbed ahold of the leaf between her teeth. It tasted absolutely rotten, but she wasn’t about to doubt Fluttershy’s knowledge. Chewing the leaf was similar to chewing on gum if it were flavored like spoiled milk and sandpaper. The unicorn struggled to keep the plant down, heaving as she attempted to swallow. When it finally downed, however, it seemed to take effect almost instantly, strengthening her legs enough to let her stand without trouble.

She looked up the beach and saw Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Gilda standing around, all very unpleased in appearance. With a sigh, knowing that Dash and likely Gilda wouldn’t have approved of what she did, Lyra began making her way up to them.

Sure enough, she caught a sharp glare from Gilda.

Applejack brought the griffon’s attention back to her though. “Ah told ‘er ta do it, Gilda, be upset with me.”

Lyra felt grateful for Applejack’s support. With a sigh, she turned to Rainbow. “I know you don’t approve either, but I was thinking of Bon Bon. I want to save her, return to her, and I know you feel the same way. In my situation, I believe you would have done the same.”

Rainbow Dash looked back to Lyra, pausing in thought. As much as she didn’t like to think it, she would sacrifice any number of others to help Spitfire. She returned Lyra’s answer with a confirming nod, still upset, but understanding.

“You got enough energy in ya to get us going in the right direction?” Dash asked.

Lyra nodded. “You know who we’re looking for next?”

“Rarity.” Applejack jumped in. “After all the magicky junk we’ve been havin’ ya do, Ah think it’ll help to have somepony who can help ya out.”

Dash nodded. “Makes sense to me. Would using the water be suitable?”

Lyra took a moment to turn her neck, popping her neck and letting out a sigh of relief. “Yeah, I can do that. Fluttershy’s miracle leaf has me feeling almost reborn.” She stretched her back legs outward, groaning in satisfaction as her body was reinvigorated. She then brought the front half of her body down, stretching out her back and popping it like her neck. “Come on over and we’ll figure it out.”

Dash followed Lyra as the two of them walked over to the edge of the water. Lyra took a breath and let it out, bringing her lyre before her and playing the first notes of her song. As the water began reacting to the spell, Dash spoke, “Rarity.”

The ocean reflected a wasteland of white, frozen winds dropping flakes of ice, a blizzard in an arctic landscape.

“The Frozen North,” Dash determined.

Lyra nodded as the spell faded. “We’re back on Equestrian shores. We head northeast as soon as we’re ready. Pray we all can make the journey.”


Fluttershy’s hooves and mouth worked quickly, applying powerful healing herbs over Rover’s open chest like a blanket, smearing sap and curative salves between them all in a way that made them behave like glue. The leafy quilt kept the dog’s blood within him and protected the seared flesh from infection.

Fluttershy’s eyes shifted, narrowing as her ears seemed to shrink slightly, curving so that they formed a cup shape. She pressed her ear against the leaves, burnt fur and skin assaulting her nostrils. She ignored the scent though and began to feel her own heart race when she couldn’t hear Rover’s.

Spot and Fido looked at her nervously; ready to help should she need even the slightest bit of aid. She wished she could tell them that everything was going to be fine, that she wasn’t going to lose him, but she didn’t know that. She had spent a long time in Reject’s Garden, learning about its exotic and unique plant life; their healing properties and life extending potential becoming the focus of her studies. Though they were magnificent and incredible flora, they couldn’t stop the inevitable.

She hoped it wasn’t at that point yet.

She had to get his heart pumping again. “Fido,” she started. Fido was quick to snap his head in a nod; ready to do anything he could to help his leader. “I need you to do some compressions for me. Do you know how to do this?” Fido nodded and brought his beefy paws onto the plants. He pushed in a timed pattern.

Fluttershy’s body began to shift again, taking on a form she was more familiar with. Fangs stuck over her lower jaw as her ears retained their look, wings shifting from soft down to a leathery membrane. She went cross eyed, looking at her nose as it began to mold into something more snout like in appearance. Almost at once she picked up what she was looking for, the heat of Rover’s blood catching in her nose.

‘He’s still warm,’ she thought, trying to take some comfort in that fact. She motioned for Fido to ease up for a moment, taking another moment to listen. Still nothing. “Take off the herbs, but keep them close,” she ordered. “Spot, I hope you’re good with your paws. We’re gonna have to get his heart pumping manually.”


The moon had risen as Dash, Gilda, Lyra, and Applejack all sat around a fire.

“So… what’s the plan?” Gilda asked, holding her head in a talon and drawing images of herself fighting monsters in the sand.

Applejack was looking into the fire absently while Lyra played soothing music. Dash sighed, feeling the weight of leadership fall right back onto her shoulders.

“We let Fluttershy do what she can for tonight, help her if we can, but I can’t see us staying here… we leave in the morning.” Dash felt a pain in her heart as she finished her thought, disgusted by the thought of leaving her comrade behind. Everything within her screamed at the thought, it wasn’t what she symbolized and stood for, but they couldn’t just sit around and wait to be destroyed by Owayix.

Applejack looked up at Rainbow, picking up on the disturbed pang in her voice. “Comfort her, you love her… show her you are worth her attention,” a voice whispered in her mind, one unfamiliar to her. It made sense to her however, in a strange way.

“Whatever call ya feel is right, Rainbow, Ah’m behind ya,” Applejack said. “If ya think it’s what we need ta do, what Equestria needs us to do, then Ah trust yer judgement.”

Dash felt calmed at the reassuring words of her friend, but the flooding sensation of discomfort didn’t leave her stomach. It felt wrong to simply say such a thing, to imply she would ever turn her back on a friend. “Let’s just hope that it doesn’t come to that.” Rainbow rubbed at her temples.

Everything fell quiet again, the only sound around the fire being the crackling of the flames and the strumming of Lyra’s lyre. It seemed like it dragged on for hours, just waiting for an update on Rover’s condition, none of them able to sleep due to stress, fear, and other various anxieties gnawing at the back of their minds.

“Welp, I’ve had worse campouts,” Lyra’s voice broke the silence.

“That seems a bit difficult to buy,” Gilda jumped in.

“Not when you’ve been through stuff like this before,” Lyra countered, her song seeming to gain some energy and tempo.

“I’m not exactly new to it. The sea is pretty fuckin’ harsh.”

“Gets worse as years go by… better too though. Ups and downs, that’s what life is all about after all. This is just one of the downs.” Lyra looked up at the stars in thought.

Really down,” Rainbow agreed.

“It’s the not knowing that’s the worst,” Lyra continued. “Will it work out in the worst possible way, or do we have a chance for the better? Are we wasting time or improving odds?” The unicorn’s words rang in Dash’s head as echoes of her own thoughts. “I don’t envy you.” She brought her gaze to meet Rainbow’s.

“Just what exactly have you ‘been through’ that gives you this grand know-it-all behavior?” Gilda shot back, annoyed.

Lyra only flashed a grin back at her. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Yeah! I would! That’s why I asked!” Gilda slammed a fist into one of her sand drawings of a large fish.

Lyra sighed and continued to play, looking to the night sky once again. “Tell ya what, when we’re able to do this again without the stress of one of our own dying… I’ll tell you.”

This caught the attention of Applejack and Rainbow Dash as well, getting them to glance over to Lyra.

Gilda seemed slightly disappointed with that answer, but sighed and nodded in agreement anyway. “Fair enough.”

Again, conversation dropped and gave way to wonder and worry.

Applejack turned her focus to the brim of her hat, where the worm she had picked up was leaning over and looking at her again, or at least it seemed he was. The way her little bug friend swung and dangled from her hat brought a grin across her lips, also bringing her gaze to Rainbow rather consistently. At one point, the worm’s tip pointed towards Dash’s element like an arrow.

“Say, how do y’all suppose the big lizard found us anyway? Ah know he’s a dragon and all, but they don’t just up an’ know where anythin’ is, do they?” Applejack’s question brought everyone’s brow to furrow in thought.

“That’s… a good question.” For the final time that night, everything fell silent.


Morning came, but nobody felt rested. Fluttershy had been up all night with Fido and Spot, trying their best to keep Rover going as Dash wrestled with her own thoughts on the whole situation. Even Applejack, Gilda, and Lyra, who had gotten sleep, didn’t feel rested at all.

Dash stood above the beach, looking down at Fluttershy and the dogs, exhausted and fearful.

“Ya want me ta get ‘em?” Applejack asked quietly.

Rainbow opened her mouth to speak, but couldn’t produce any noise. All she could think of was fighting side by side with the dog. He had become a close friend, almost a brother to her. He was her guide at times, her comrade in arms at others, and he even went out trying to help her succeed. He didn’t have to come with her, and a small part of her wished he hadn’t.

Lyra and Gilda stood facing the direction they had all agreed to take, looking over their shoulders, patiently awaiting the order to head out.

Applejack could see the tears welling up in Rainbow’s eyes as the pegasus choked on the words she couldn’t manage to speak. It brought pain to her own heart to see her struggling so hard, a pressure welling in her mind, focusing her attention on relieving that stress in her friend. She began walking down to the sand as the first tear ran down Rainbow’s cheek.

“Wait… Applejack, wait!” Dash cried out desperately, not ready to leave.

AJ knew though that she would never be ready and kept going.

“Applejack! We’re staying… just a little longer,” Rainbow ordered, though her voice seemed more like she was pleading.

AJ stopped. “… Alright.”

Dash let out a mild sigh in relief, but felt none of her stress deplete. “Thank you.” She looked up to Rover once again and saw Spot walking over towards them, his paws soaked in blood and eyes looking down in the ground. With a glance to Fluttershy, Dash was given a clear answer from her returning gaze. “… Let’s go.”

Author's Note:

And tensions run high while the dragon pursues. Fatal injuries have been dealt and it seems like madness is becoming a problem as well.