• Published 9th Mar 2014
  • 1,783 Views, 135 Comments

Valley Of Rainbows: Seeking Solutions - Sparx



Rainbow Dash must seek out the lost Elements of harmony to aid in the potential threat of coming war, with the aid of some strange allies

  • ...
5
 135
 1,783

Part Two: Only The Brave

In all my travels, there were few places I would not go. I grumbled with goblins, matched wits with wyverns, mingled with minotaurs, sang with satyrs, and danced with dragons. Though what always confounds me is the sheer number of beasts that live off of fear, and in their homes I wished not to go.

As a bugbear would creep like the bogeymare, or the burning nightmares would choke out their prey with deadly smoke, these monsters all inspired terror and dread. We hear legends of how these creatures take a sadistic passion in their destruction and killing. Their reputations can often bring about more fear, making their work all the more pleasant to them.

It’s easy to hear all of the accounts that we give on the horrifying things that there are in the world, to feel as if hope is a foolish notion that only the most naïve of ponies put faith in. But there are those that put that fear aside, and dare to test the truth of the legends.

Our leader was well aware of the pain and death that hung over a place like Reject’s Garden, but if she was afraid I didn’t see enough of it to believe it. Where the rest of us grew weak in the knees, she laughed and ran faster. She would break the weak tales that stood before her and leave her own lasting legend, proving that the bold nature of heroes was worthy of song and story. Whether it was bravery or stubbornness that drove her into the cursed home of the trolls, it will be remembered that if it weren’t for her, we would have never went in ourselves.

Even under my optimism I could feel my skin shudder in the toxic swamp, but if it had been Tartarus itself, I still think I would have followed her. She had bravery to spare when the rest of us had it in short supply.

Let my fellow bards tell of her unending courage, and become inspired themselves. Throw her friends into hell itself and she will overthrow the demons, alone if she must, and drag them back out. I believe she could do it too, flying them all out on her back if she had to.

But of course, as her friend I would praise her. What pains me to say though is that, while her valor was unending, she is still a mortal being as ourselves, and has her own faults. Confusion and doubt proved to be powerful enemies for her, and the memories of her pain put me through my own agony. The fogs of the marsh’s poisons paled in comparison to the green-eyed envy that walked among our own. Perhaps her genes knew this day would come.

It didn’t take pause within that forsaken forest however, as even the stinging gust of the northern land brought less distress than the emotional affair. Too many times do the folk forget that the dangers outside their home do not make way for the unneeded drama of our common life. Petty jealousy and anger exist everywhere, and cause just as much trouble as a fiend or a rockslide, sometimes even more so.

It takes more than bravery and a blade to stand up to issues such as these, but the creatures don’t stop hunting either. We must keep our wits, our blades, and our senses sharp, even when our own problems attempt to dull them. If we don’t, then we can only hope to be remembered as some slightly painful troll shit.

-Lyra Heartstrings