• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 10,651 Views, 965 Comments

I.D. - That Indestructible Something - Chatoyance



Gregoria Samson awakens transformed into an Equestrian pony - yet no other human being can perceive her new body in any way. What is the incredible, monumental truth behind her impossible change?

  • ...
 965
 10,651

7. Splendor Forever Lies In Wait

I.D. INJECTOR DOE
That Indestructible Something

By Chatoyance

═════════════════════

7. Splendor Forever Lies In Wait

“Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness,

but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile,

not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name,

it will come.”

- Franz Kafka


Pandit Ramsamooj had spent the entire day praying to Hayagrīva, but nothing had come of it. Pandit was still a horse. Or rather it was to be said that he was horse-like, though no earthly horse that he knew of had ever been bright blue, nor had possessed such wings as he had. Likewise his proportions were wrong for a true horse - he was tiny, with large hooves and a huge head bearing truly gargantuan eyes. His irises now were the color of rubies, and when he looked into them, in his reflection in the water, he somehow saw himself within them.

Pandit had not yet dared to fly, but he had wandered the streets of Khajuraho. Not one person, not even those claiming siddhis or Abhijñā, appeared to perceive his true form. If even the enlightened were blind, then there was only the gods to turn to, and of those Lord Hayagreevar, white, horse-headed, and the most excellent divinity of knowledge and wisdom was surely the obvious choice. Was not Pandit himself now a horse, even if a strange one? Surely Hayagrīva would count him as one of his own. Since a camatkāra had clearly happened overnight - Pandit, a man, had been transformed into a divine steed of some kind - then without doubt Hayagrīva would answer and explain his new role and place to him.

Just not today.

Pandit turned from the ancient monuments and trotted away from the crowds that had come to see them. The sun would set soon, and Pandit was hungry. Fortunately, life as a horse was very easy - there was grass to be had everywhere and water to drink besides. The needs of the body of a horse were easy to satisfy, and Pandit even found that the tastes of the grasses differed from area to area and kind to kind, and in them he found a banquet of delights. He would never go hungry in his new body, and without doubt he was of the most superior health.

It was, he had found, to his best interest not to be seen eating, because to others he still was somehow a man. But this to achieve was not difficult, and when he fed he gave thanks for the blessings of his strong new body, and the supreme ease of its keeping.

One day Lord Hayagreevar would surely answer. Until then, Pandit would pray, and wander the temples, and not need for alms or work or the concerns of Man. He would enjoy this most bountiful and splendid time of grace, before his task or purpose was finally revealed to him, and perhaps one auspicious day, he would teach himself the use of his wings.

──── ∆ ────

Marguerite stared at the Palais de Justice, gawking at the colors. Normally white stone, the Justitiepaleis had become a fairy-castle of pink and purple swirls, curious stripes and elaborate golden decorations. The dome that capped it now was an astonishing sight, even more ornate than before, and possessed of a spiral stripe. The ancient building stuck out now amidst all other buildings in Brussels, no longer because it was grand and old and exquisite, but because it was alien.

How could no one see this? Marguerite walked down the Rue De Wynants and occasionally stopped a passerby to ask them what they saw when she pointed to the Justitiepaleis. In every case, the answer was mundane - they saw the Palais, they saw a column or a window or the original white stonework from before the palace had changed, or whatever else it was that they assumed she was trying to indicate. Not one seemed able to grasp that the proper Palais de Justice had been removed in the night and replaced with a very dissimilar building of the same size which appeared, for all the world, as if it had come from the realm of fantasy.

Weary after another fruitless effort to understand the mystery of how ordinary citizens could completely fail to see the massive alterations of their city, Marguerite decided to make her usual long trek to one of the many scattered parks. Last week she had frequented the Parc de Forestier Bospark, she thought instead to travel to the much larger and more splendid Parc Duden to the south. Duden was near the Gevangenis St. Gilles where she had once enjoyed some lovely potato dishes, but best of all it had many shielding trees and wide, green lawns.

When the night came, and the park was finally deserted for the most part, she could take her supper in peace, grazing long and well as the pony she now was. Margurerite could almost accept that others saw her as an ordinary woman, after all she was but one individual in a vast and populous city. But the entirety of the Justitiepaleis? "Hangt hier de pot!"

──── ∆ ────

Rachel worked intently, hand stitching the last bit of the false shoelace to the hoofcover she had made. Gregoria stood still, careful not to interfere. It was easy to stand - she had learned the trick of locking her pony legs after Rachel had explained that it was possible to do so. Truth be told, Gregoria had nearly drifted off to sleep, and felt slightly embarrassed when Rachel patted her cheek to get her attention.

"Walk around a bit, gently at first, and let's see if it holds, 'kay?" Rachel smiled - she was clearly enjoying making clothing for a real live Equestrian. It was understandable, Gregoria supposed. Rachel did love the cartoon, and getting to play the part of the character who liked to make dresses... 'Rarity' was the name, yeah, 'Rarity'... was probably living out a personal fantasy for her. But it was more than that, Rachel had clearly been very lonely, and there was no doubting she was grateful to have Gregoria keeping her company at all - in pony form or not. The remaining human part of Gregoria found herself occasionally chafing at the sometimes obvious desperation in Rachel, even as the dominant pony part felt drawn to help and fill the emptiness in her friend.

The hoofcovers were a clever invention. They were like cuffs, easy to wrap around a rear hoof, the flaps held together with velcro. Gregoria had quickly learned to sit on her flank, curve her body and bend her long neck to attach the cuff to her hoof. That was how she had ripped the false shoelaces off - she was still learning just how strong her new pony jaw truly was.

Rachel's creation mimicked sneakers. The cuffs looked like running shoes, with the same pattern and even a little machine-embroidered Nike swoosh on the side. A simulation of tied laces was stitched to the front, and the bottom of the cuff used a thin rubbery material to simulate a sole. Seen from a short distance, they made for reasonably convincing costume running shoes that fit perfectly the smaller, rounder profile of Gregoria's equine hooves.

Gregoria, still wearing the denim pony dress that Rachel had spent the previous night and day sewing on her little machine, stepped gingerly about the apartment. Her falsely shod rear hooves clopped over linoleum and wood and carpet, but for all the world it looked as if she were wearing small, round pony Nikes. The velcro held, the simulated laces remained in place, and best of all, the costume cuff did not flap or dance about on Gregoria's leg.

"Pick up the pace a bit." Rachel moved to the couch and flopped down. "I want to make sure they don't fall off easy."

Gregoria moved to a faster walk, and tried raising and lowering her legs in an exaggerated fashion. She even gave a few stomps to make sure the hoofcovers did not fall off. "They're amazing, Rachel. They really work! I have to say... I'm impressed."

Rachel beamed. "yay!" Her voice was soft, almost a falsetto whisper. She was mimicking her favorite character from the cartoon, a yellow pegasus with some kind of social anxiety disorder. Rachel had been working very hard to solve the problem of decent clothing for her friend, and with this clear success, Gregoria found herself grinning back.

Gregoria stopped her parade and looked out the window. It was getting dark, the sun was setting again. This was her third day staying with Rachel, and she had to admit... it had been a lot of fun. Gregoria felt surprise at the thought - since that horrific morning when she had awakened as a beast, even the idea of using a word like 'fun' had been utterly unthinkable. She had felt herself a monster, the victim of a terrible catastrophe, doomed to a possibly neverending nightmare. But the truth was - the last three days had been... well, they had been fun.

The notion was mad, utterly mad of course. There was no question that this strange form into which she had been changed was a disaster. Gregoria still felt desperate to regain her proper, human body - and her proper human brain as well. It was terrible to imagine being stuck for life as a refugee from a barnyard, not to mention that in this form she could never have a boyfriend, never marry, never have children - sweet Luna! That was a thought! - and never hope to have a normal life. This situation was the enemy, and it had to be defeated, the sooner the better. Before she lost all sense of her former self and started to... Celestia forbid... begin accepting it. Or even, far worse, liking it.

Her situation had in fact become even more urgent to her the previous night. They had both thought it wise to watch the entirety of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic in order to try to more fully understand what being a pony meant, and also to see if there were any clues in the show that might explain Gregoria's transformation.

They had watched several episodes in a row on Rachel's computer - she had downloaded every episode just as most fans apparently did. One episode in particular struck Gregoria hard. "Family Appreciation Day", by a writer named Cindy Morrow, told the story of the elder Apple family grandmother, 'Granny Smith'. In the show, the character was depicted in her youth as a member of a group of settlers that had ultimately founded the town of 'Ponyville', the main location for much of the cartoon.

Starting with nothing but a few wagons of supplies, the settlers were shown to be responsible for clearing out a portion of the vast Everfree forest so that the wide, rural landscape of Ponyville could eventually develop. These flashback sequences were done in sepia tones, in order to indicate great age.

And that is when it had hit Gregoria. A previous episode, "Winter Wrap Up" had made as its central concern the fact that earthponies - the very type that Gregoria now was - had built Ponyville without the use of magic, by hoof and muscle. The episode was very clear that it was Ponyville's deepest tradition that the season of winter - ponies apparently controlled every aspect of nature in their world, including the weather itself - should be cleaned up entirely by personal effort. This left out the central character of the episode - Twilight Sparkle, a unicorn - because all she knew how to do was magic.

The tradition was stated to be hundreds of years old.

That meant that Granny Smith had to be at least two hundred years old at minimum. A quick check on the internet by Rachel revealed that some clever wag had used statistical analysis to measure the population and size of Ponyville from the images on the show, and had made an estimate of how long it would take a town to grow to that size. It was most likely that Granny Smith was more like three hundred years old.

Three hundred years old. And there was nothing whatsoever to suggest that Granny Smith was in any way atypical. Indeed, she was a common earthpony, living on a farm, as average as could be. So average, in fact, that the primary conflict in the "Family Appreciation Day" episode was about how every character assumed that Granny Smith had nothing interesting to say. Her own granddaughter was embarrassed through much of the show at this thought.

Gregoria had been transformed into an earthpony from that very television program. She had no reason to assume she was somehow special in any regard. Her transformation into a pony had done more than merely steal her human form from her, or change her brain in ways that drove her to be a better person than she normally would be. The nightmare transformation included the most insidious, horrific, disturbing and nasty trick it was possible to inflict on her.

Vastly more life.

Eighty some years was the average life span for a human woman. Two - more likely three hundred years was apparently the average life span for an Equestrian pony. More than three times more lifespan, the majority of it apparently in very good health. Granny Smith was ancient, yet she could dance, move well, and her single greatest problem was a bad hip from kicking trees for hundreds of years.

If she hadn't abused her hips, she'd probably be completely fit.

Gregoria had seen plenty of seriously messed-up fifty and sixty year olds in her life, and only a handful of people in their eighties that were in truly decent physical shape. She'd met two ninety-somethings, one very spry, the other barely mobile at all. Meanwhile, at three hundred and something, Granny Smith, the earthpony, occasionally had to use a walker. Sometimes. Not on every show. Oh, and her knees looked ugly. Three hundred years of life.

The transformation was ruthless. Heartless. Cruel beyond comprehension. Earthly ponies were fortunate to make it to thirty years. That would be a dire motivation to get her human body back. But a three-hundred year lifespan - two hundred at the very least - it was a temptation beyond measure. Maybe if she had been a religious fanatic, sure of an afterlife, certain that death was nothing but eternal pies and cake - but death was scary to Gregoria, very scary. She was not convinced that death meant reward - or punishment. It nagged at her that death could be just what it appeared to be - permanent termination. Oblivion. And that frightened Gregoria more than anything.

Even hell still meant you still existed.

Three hundred years instead of eighty. It was as if whatever had changed her had deliberately done everything possible to make her suffer for any attempt to undo it.

No, that was not entirely true. If she'd had a choice, Gregoria would have rather been a unicorn or a pegasus, if she had to become a pony at all. Magic or flight would have made things a lot easier in countless ways. No, this change couldn't be a personal attack on her - if it had been, they'd screwed up on which kind of pony to make her.

The revelation that, as a pony, she could expect to live as long as three centuries, far beyond any recorded human lifespan, made her determination to regain her humanity much more desperate. Such a generous bounty of additional years of existence was a temptation that would only become increasingly difficult to fight against accepting. It would become worse as the years went on, as people she cared about - such as her mother, her sister and Rachel - grew old and died around her. The horror of watching humans die right and left of their short lifespans would make the effort to regain humanity seem more and more like a fool's errand and...

"Their short lifepans" - had she really thought that? Gregoria shook her head, her mane swirling over her back and falling to the side. Her traitorous pony brain was increasingly thinking that way. Seeing humans as an 'other', and herself as not among them. "Our short lifespans!" she thought fiercely to herself - but the words in her mind felt hollow in her heart.

"Greggy?" Rachel was off the couch and squatting in front of Gregoria, staring intently at her face. "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

Gregoria focused her eyes, and tried to look happy again for her friend. "I... was just thinking of... stuff. About the change, and the future." Rachel looked worried, apparently the attempt to look more cheery hadn't been very successful. "It's okay, I'll be okay. Sorry. I'm sorry. Kinda drifted off there."

Rachel lifted her arm from her knee as she squatted, and scratched behind Gregoria's left ear. For a moment pleasure took her, and Gregoria found herself smiling despite her previous thoughts. Luna, that felt good. Oh, there, yeah, right there.

When Rachel had pulled her hand back, and Gregoria regained herself, she was almost ashamed to feel so much better. If she wanted to fight this thing, she needed to keep focused and not enjoy it too much. There were too many temptations already. Food, senses, mood, lifespan, health, and little pleasures just like that one. "Uh, Rachel? Maybe... maybe it's better if you don't do that."

Rachel looked utterly crushed. "I'm... sorry. I... I mean, I just..." She looked like she might cry.

"Oh... ponyfeathers... Rachel, it was good. Great. I loved it, OK?" Rachel looked really confused now, halfway between sad and befuddled. "I liked it too much, understand? Stuff like that makes it hard to fight being a pony. There's so many temptations and it just makes it really hard to focus on... on getting back, you know?"

Rachel wasn't confused anymore, but the sadness was still there, locked down, but present. "I... guess I understand. It's just so fun to scratch your ears, and you looked so down and... sorry. I'll try to not do that anymore."

Gregoria stood in her denim pony-coat-dress thing (it was pretty darn cool, truth be told. Rachel had done an amazing job of it, and it looked like something that could have come from the show itself) and groaned. Her emotions warred inside her. She needed to get her human life back but Rachel was only being affectionate and kind and it really did feel so muffin good and it meant so much to her to show affection and Celestia knows that any kindness was everything right now and why did it have to be so hard, and why did this have to happen and what if Rachel became fed up an didn't want to help anymore and...

"Greg? Greggy?" Rachel had reached out and then suddenly pulled her hand back with an odd look on her face. "Listen, maybe I'm just making things more difficult for you. Maybe I'm not helping and..."

Gregoria stepped forward and pressed herself into Rachel, who nearly tumbled over from the unexpected bump. Rachel sat the rest of the way down and Gregoria found herself pressing her chest into Rachel's sitting body, while curving her long pony neck across and down her friends back. It was a strange sort of hug, but it was a hug. A pony hug, Gregoria assumed, instinctual, perhaps. Rachel raised her arms and wrapped them around Gregoria's neck and withers.

"You're the only help I've gotten, Rachel." Gregoria hugged tighter. "Until I came here, selfishly forcing myself on you, I was completely lost. You're helping. Oh, sweet Celestia, you are helping. Please, please don't think you aren't helping because you are. You absolutely are. I'm just... I'm just afraid."

Rachel couldn't help herself, she had begun automatically stroking Gregoria's soft coat, as she doubtless would any animal. "This must be really scary for you, I keep forgetting because you are so awesome as a pony and I wish that I cou... I'm sorry. I keep forgetting how hard this is for you."

Gregoria noted how Rachel had caught herself. "That's the problem, Rachel. It's less and less scary. The real problem is that all of this is... it's seductive. Oh, Luna, if only you knew. Food tastes better, smells are better, my eyes are better - everything feels so muffin good that its really hard to fight it. At first it was completely scary. But I keep getting used to it!"

"Then that just means you're still human."

Gregoria pulled back, away from Rachel and sat awkwardly down, tilted on her right flank to protect her tail. "What??"

Rachel adjusted her legs, tailor fashion, and leaned back on her arms. "It means you're still human in there. Seriously."

Noticing that her muzzle was open, Gregoria closed her mouth. "How... does getting used... to being a pony... mean I'm still - in any way - human?"

"Humans adapt, Greggy. That's the one thing that defines humans, I think. I mean, gorillas and chimps can talk - sign language, but sign language is still speech, and lots of animals can make and use tools, and all animals care and feel and even squirrels can solve puzzles and crows can do math problems and..."

Gregoria startled "Crows can do math problems?"

"Yeah! It's in New Scientist! They did this experiment with crows where..."

Gregoria tapped a hoof. "Wait, wait... back on topic. How is me being a pony somehow me being more human? Huh?"

"Other animals can pretty much do everything humans claimed - for a long time - that only they could do. That's all been proven to be totally false. So what makes humans human then? It can't be speech, or thought, or emotion, or tools or problem solving or even math, so if it isn't any of those things what's the one thing that humans do better than any other animal?" Rachel settled down onto her elbows, and stretched her legs out past Gregoria.

Gregoria decided to give up on trying to sit upright, and lay down like a pony, legs folded under her. It took a little fussing about to reposition herself, but it was worth it. It felt so much better than having her flank go to sleep while her tail ached.

"I give up, Rachel. What makes humans special?" It was early evening now, outside. They had been talking for some time.

"Humans can adapt to anything!" Rachel seldom wore shoes inside her apartment, she pressed her left foot against Gregoria's barrel, across her leg and hoof. For a moment she wiggled her toes in the soft yellow coat, clearly enjoying the feeling. Not nearly as embarrassed as she should have been, (or at all, Gregoria thought) Rachel smiled. "Out of Africa, through the ice age, into every climate, in the middle of deserts, or the arctic, or jungles or grasslands or mountains or islands in the sea - humans adapt to everything, Greggy. That's what humans are - the animal that adapts."

"But -" Gregoria wanted to argue, but she couldn't think of what to say.

Rachel continued... enjoying... Gregoria's coat. The denim outfit had wide, short sleeves, so that it was easy for Rachel to stick her toes under the fabric. "Humans evolved on earth, right? But they can go into space, into a totally weird environment, no gravity, no up or down, and that astronaut, the Canadian guy, he can play the guitar and sing Bowie songs and be on television and do science and stuff! It's like it's no biggie to him at all, it's like he's loving it, and everything up in orbit is like totally alien to all human experience. Humans adapt to anything! Humans make everything their bitch!"

Gregoria, pony Gregoria, winced at the last word. The 'B' one. Swirl that pony brain, she thought to herself. Still, Rachel's little speech did make her feel better. Humans could adapt to anything. If that really was what made humans special, if that was what made humans... human, then maybe it was silly to say that adapting to life as a pony was a defeat. Maybe it was just proof that Gregoria was still herself. Could a chimpanzee cope with suddenly being a completely different animal? Could a dolphin? Could a crow? It was more likely, Gregoria thought, that such animals would just freak out and stumble about smashing into walls in mindless panic until they broke their neck.

The thought of innocent animals breaking their necks made pony Gregoria shiver and feel very sad. With effort, Gregoria shook off that feeling and regained herself. Just a thought, not real. On top of everything else, her new pony brain was very, very good at mental visualization, and had strong emotions about what she imagined. There were a lot of things to juggle in this new body, a lot of things to...

...to adapt to. To adapt to. She'd had to deal with this, and she hadn't panicked (maybe just a little) and she was adapting, and she was staying on top of it. Body, brain, emotion, everything. Gregoria grinned. Rachel had a point. There was something irrepressible about humans. Something unconquerable. And she, Gregoria Samson, had to still be truly herself, and still human in some deep way, because she was not bashing herself against walls in panic, like another animal might. She was adapting to the strange, the alien, the extraordinary, because that was what humanity did best.

Gregoria considered this for a moment. Rachel... she was really pretty intelligent. Huh. Gregoria looked about at her four legs, and began moving them, trying to figure out how to crawl while laying down. She managed to scoot herself closer to her friend. Her best friend - she was fully willing to admit that now, to appreciate what that truly meant now. She lowered her long neck and wiggled her tall, curving ears.

"Scritchies?"

Rachel positively glowed, and happily began scratching behind her dearest friend's pony ears.