• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 10,643 Views, 965 Comments

I.D. - That Indestructible Something - Chatoyance



Gregoria Samson awakens transformed into an Equestrian pony - yet no other human being can perceive her new body in any way. What is the incredible, monumental truth behind her impossible change?

  • ...
 965
 10,643

17. A Gift From Within

I.D. INJECTOR DOE
That Indestructible Something

By Chatoyance

═════════════════════

17. A Gift From Within

"Anything that has real and lasting value is always a gift from within."

- Franz Kafka




Michel cautiously scraped the sandstone away until Gregoria assured him that the distance was three inches. The diamond dog crouched in the tunnel, his right forepaw raised over his head, deep in the rock above. Using only one sharp claw, Michel cut through the last of the stone to the air above. The perforation to the external world was only two inches wide.

It had been too long since the last patch of stone, so the three decided to sit for awhile, and allow Damon to become a living air pump. Damon's horn grew slightly brighter as he focused on driving air through the hole in the sandstone down to them. Gregoria felt the hot breeze blast from above, warming the cool underground space. The air felt good, but more importantly, it smelled and tasted fresh.

Michel lay flat, rubbing the muscles of his forelimbs with his massive, dextrous paws.

"How you holding up?" Gregoria studied the dust drifting through the tiny shaft of sunlight from the hole above. Considering how small the carefully dug, narrow shaft was, the sun must be at its zenith in the sky. A tiny spot of day glowed on the stone floor she lay on.

"I'm sore. Tired. Not too thirsty. Yet." Michel began rubbing the upper muscles of his powerful limbs. "How long you think it's been?"

"I can tell you exactly." Gregoria squeezed carefully past Damon, who was in his usual 'circulation trance'. Pumping air around was somehow difficult to do. He'd tried to explain it - it was easy to lift an object within his silver glow, but air had nothing to 'grab' on to. So, instead, he had to constantly imagine some construction of telekinetic force and make it work. He had started with making fan-like blades, but now preferred a sort of peristaltic effect - disks of force rippling down, pushing air along between them. It took deep concentration on the unicorn's part, because he had no idea how to make it into an actual, automated, 'spell'.

Gregoria tried to stretch her legs as best as she could while she walked back to the supply sled. The 'sled' was an eight-foot long strip of material coated on one side with a slippery but durable, teflon-like coating. Piled and tied to this carpet was what had been a huge collection of sacks and canteens and packs. The massive pile was significantly less impressive than it had been when they had started their long, difficult dig, the missing contents having passed through their bodies over time.

She gripped the harness in her teeth and tossed her head to flip it over her neck. Turning, she shook the harness until it settled properly, and began to pull. Gregoria hauled the sliding, scraping mass forward for a bit, stopped, counted to three, and pulled again. She counted to five, then pulled for a shorter time. Then two, and a longer time, mixing up pulling with waiting as randomly as she could. Shortly she had returned to her teammates.

"Hmph." Michel was rubbing his claws now, and picking out stone and dirt from the impossibly sharp nails. "Gimme a mint. My breath smells like shit."

"Mints don't help, but sure." Gregoria unbridled herself, and followed the scent of peppermint to the zipped pack that contained the Altoids. She nibbled at the zipper, caught it and pulled. Digging around with her muzzle, she found the tin and pulled it out. A flip of her head tossed the container to Michel, who caught it expertly with one paw in the dim light.

"Nmm. Not many left." Delicately pinching a candy between two nails, the diamond dog slid it into his muzzle, and began sucking on it. "Whoo. Stings."

Gregoria turned her attention to the largest pack which contained their special iPad. Crown had some fancy toys in his collection, and the special iPad was a donation to the cause. The device could not be tracked, was shielded against passive and active detection, and it had a special interface with extra-large icons and buttons. Normally, it never contacted the outside world. The large buttons made it possible to be easily used with pony lips. Gregoria stared down her yellow muzzle and lipped her way to the page with their mapping app. She noted the time and date.

"This is day eleven. I thought it was twelve. It's eleven." Gregoria studied the special map and used her lip to continue the line that approximated their overall progress.

"Shit." Michel sucked on his candy for a while. "How much further?"

They had been making reasonable progress, but not as much as Gregoria had hoped. It hadn't helped that the push on day eight - or was it six? - had forced them to lay low for a day and a half doing nothing. The sand had been loose, and Michel's special powers were not enough. The tunnel began collapsing behind them, despite Damon's brave efforts to support it through sheer telekinetic power. Michel had been forced to dig quickly, and if they hadn't found a large zone of sandstone, they may have been forced to the surface to avoid being buried alive.

The surface would have offered no salvation - while they hid within the edge of the sandstone region, no less than three, and possibly four (Gregoria wasn't sure about whether one group was actually two groups or not) squads of men swept the area immediately after their perilous dash. This had proven beyond all doubt that even the very earth was being constantly monitored for unusual vibrations or movements. The level of security being applied was nothing short of incredible.

Then again, what such an effort was working to hide was itself even more incredible by far. If only what was hidden away within the Majic facility was merely flying saucers and little Gray men. No wonder, Gregoria had mused, the government didn't just open up about extraterrestrials - they couldn't, because there weren't any. There never had been. The real truth, which was indeed 'out there', just a little bit farther in fact, was very possibly beyond the ability of most humans to even comprehend.

Compared to trying to wrap the mind around living inside a tiny, mutable simulation of reality run for some unknown purpose, the notion of space aliens was positively mundane. Crown had said the secret somehow kept itself. It might simply be that it was too mind-mangling to cope with for most humans, Gregoria often wondered. It was hard enough for her, and she had been changed by errant cosmic source code into a real-world representation of a cartoon pony.

Gregoria studied the line she had just drawn, then used both lips to move the map on the iPad screen slightly. "Two more days and we have a decision to make. Highway or defense wall."

Damon opened his eyes and sagged. His horn ceased its labors entirely, leaving them all in darkness save for the tiny shaft of dusty light from the surface above. "The underground highway. We have to cut through there. It's got to be the weakest point, they're going to have the actual walls of the facility seriously hardened!"

"Michel can cut through solid rock with a finger, Damon." Gregoria, after replacing the special iPad, decided to have a candy herself.

"No... not hard, hardened." Damon lay down, exhausted from his telekinetic efforts. "It's a... military styled term. I mean that there is probably going to be traps, sensors, and yeah, super-hard alloys and stuff too. They're not going to do that for thirty miles of underground highway tunnel."

"Howdya know that?" Michel scraped some dirt out of his left ear in the dark. "For all you know, they did the highway tunnel too."

Damon sighed. "Yeah, okay, I don't know. For sure anyway. But come on - doing sensors and traps and stuff is expensive, and trying to cover a thirty mile long tunnel just seems ridiculous."

"You're forgetting the big problem, pony." Michel sat up, because his back was getting a cramp. "We pop out in the tunnel, we still have to get past whatever big door and defenses they have. We come in through the wall, and we're in. No checkpoints, no big doors. I say breach the fuckin' wall."

Gregoria thought for a moment. "Hey, what if we dug down. Way down. Say... four stories down. Go under the wall, defenses, sensors, traps and whatever. Come up from below. They can't be expecting that! We come up through the floor of their basement. I bet they wouldn't even consider that."

"Unless they read old superhero comics." Michel chuckled.

"Huh?" Gregoria was baffled.

"Mole men from inside the Earth's core?" Michel didn't need to see the shrugs to know they happened. "Kids. Never appreciate the classics."

──── ∆ ────

In the dark sea of the lithic world, the buried nets of metal burned like incandescent bulb filaments. The Majic complex stood out like a beacon because of the protection it used, and Gregoria was able to guide Michel with ease. The steel nets were electrified, and doubtless were intended to block the efforts of any who would dare to tunnel their way in from the side. There was no doubt in the minds of any of the three Equestrians that beyond those grids were even more perils.

As Michel dug them down, farther and farther into the ground, his guess about the base construction was shown to be true. The bottom-most layer of the installation was protected only by solid, nearly impenetrable rock. The engineers who had designed S-4 in the fifties could not have imagined the capabilities of an Equestrian diamond dog.

It was slow going, with Michel digging in erratic bursts. There was no doubt that the bedrock was being monitored for vibrations, and all were sure their approach had been noticed and was likely being studied. By keeping their efforts as random as possible, the hope was that the humans would be unable to define whatever their instruments were perceiving as a deliberate action against them. With luck, they might consider Michel's erratic scrabblings as a natural phenomena of some kind.

Michel had carefully widened the chamber he had made below the ceiling of concrete and rebar. Their ceiling was the lowest floor of the secret desert base. Gregoria pressed her hooves against the stone walls of Michel's chamber, and the concrete above, trying to sense anything that might help them.

"I... there is thrumming. You know, like wum-wum-wum-wum... like that. And some kind of really faint grindey thing. It feels like machine stuff. I wish I could hear it, but... I have to interpret what my hooves are telling me." Gregoria was struggling to remain upright on only her back legs, as she raised her forelegs against the ceiling. She staggered to the left a few feet. "I think... augh... my flanks... I think this is an open space. I think." With a groan, Gregoria dropped to all fours and bent her long neck back and to the side, so she could nibble at her own flank. The muscles quivered from the strain of standing on two legs for so long. They almost itched from the painful effort.

"So... right here, I should dig here?" Michel tapped a claw to a portion of the gray surface above them.

"Yeah. As best as I can tell. I don't do so well on concrete and stuff." Gregoria stretched her hind legs, grimacing at the soreness. "I think pony powers prefer organic stuff. Pony powers are 'Green' powers I guess."

Damon brought his glowing horn closer at a wave of Michel's massive paw. Michel began scraping with a single nail, in seconds he had dug out a hollow, which he proceeded to slowly and carefully widen. Occasionally he had Gregoria try to estimate the distance left before he breached the upper surface of the concrete foundation. Each time, Gregoria had to stretch herself up on her hind legs farther and farther.

"Hey, how are we going to climb up there, once you break through?" Damon could easily picture the diamond dog pulling himself up with his finger-like claws, but it didn't seem very easy for a pony.

"Watch." Michel went to the stone wall and began carving out a zig-zag shape. He was very quick, to him the hard stone was soft as peanut butter. When he had finished, it required all three of them to push his impromptu stairs into position. "Should... have cut... bricks... and piled them... instead." Michel panted, sitting for a rest.

"Pretty impressive though. You can build my summer castle when Rachel makes Equestria." Gregoria grinned in the silver light.

"...and the... you... you rode in on." Michel grinned back.

"Do you really think she's going to rewrite the world?" Damon ended his magical light, since nopony was using it. All had gotten used to sitting in utter darkness when resting, to allow the unicorn to regain his energy.

"It's... a possibility, I suppose. Frankly, it scares me." Gregoria spit a bit of gravel out of her mouth. That too was something they had all gotten used to - sand in everything, everywhere. "I'm worried that if she tries something like that, and they find her before she can do the job, they won't just try to capture her. I'm also afraid that she might lose herself and not be Rachel anymore."

Damon rested his head on his forelegs. "Like Sunny, like how he turned into Winona - you're worried she'll go full Celestia? Lose herself in the role?"

"Yeah." Gregoria lay on her side in the dark and focused on relaxing her overworked hind legs as best she could. "Crown said the world has changed several times, right? Complete rewrites, only all we know about it are myths and stories. What if reskinning reality also changes all the data, right down to everypony's minds? Maybe none of us would remember the world or our lives anymore."

Damon blew out air in something that was less a whistle than a sigh. "I hadn't considered that. Maybe we would end up thinking the world had always been Equestria, and all we would ever know about the human world would be half-remembered fantasies and stuff. Whoa. That would be a nightmare, wouldn't it?"

"Fuck... you ponies, Jesus." Michel laughed, a curious, bitter laugh. "What about the poor anthropomorphs that lived before the last change? A whole world of magic and animal people, probably had amazing powers. Pixies and elves and shit. Whole fucking 'Lord Of The Rings', 'Dungeons and Dragons' world, and some capitalist, greedy, dope-pushing bastard erased it so we could have A-10 Warthogs and third-world poverty." Michel snarled. "You pansy-ass rich-bitches think everything is just peachy, don't you? All iPads and big screens for everybody, huh? Fuck you. I've seen the world, the real world, and most people - real people - live in shit and die hungry. That's the human world, that is real. That is a fact. So, you going all liberal guilt about the plight of robber-baron humans and permanent death - you remember that part? Clockwork Victorian universe, you die and you don't come back? - Fuck you whining about 'the poor humans'. Tell it to the animal people before them!"

Both ponies were speechless for some time. Finally Gregoria dared to break the silence. "I... I didn't know you felt that way."

The diamond dog growled softly. "You ever seen the world, the real world? You ever leave your little suburban neighborhood?"

Gregoria shook her head in the blackness. "No. I... I haven't. I didn't have the money to..."

"Didn't have the money... you know what most humans live on? A dollar a day. Or less. That's most humans, the majority of humans. The money you spend going to fucking Mickey Dee would feed the most common human family for a week, maybe a month. That is human life, right there, taken on average. You think you are poor, 'oh, I can't get a job' - bullshit! You are part of the elite, privileged pony. Like all of us." Michel grumbled to himself. They could hear his claws scraping the rock. "Humans killed the fairy tale world. I don't have any pity about the loss of their take on things, because their version of life sucks."

Neither Damon nor Gregoria knew what to say to that, so they just sat in the dark, waiting for the next shoe to drop. It did occur to Gregoria, though, that they didn't know anything about Michel's human life, only that he had worked at Apple once. Gregoria had just assumed that Michel had been an upper-class, white, American computer geek. Maybe... maybe that wasn't his background at all.

"Damon. Party's over. Let's rescue us a pony princess." Michel growled the words, still upset.

Damon's silver light revealed the diamond dog already at work, standing on his stone steps, digging cautiously in the hole above him. Chunks of concrete fell to the stone floor of the chamber as he worked. "Okay, this is it. Any idea what to do if alarms sound?"

Gregoria looked around at the chamber, the pile of supplies, the tunnel that led away and eventually up... to a wall of collapsed earth. "We make it to Rachel somehow, no matter what. We free her - they must have her bound somehow, or she would have gone Celestia on them already. And then we let her take it from there."

"Your plan sucks ass. But I was dumb enough to follow you, so fuck me. Let's do this." Michel stuck a claw through the concrete and revealed darkness above. They waited, breathing quietly. No alarms - that they could hear. Michel widened the hole.

They had come up between two very large, metal, boxy chambers, from which led thick conduits. Whether it was plumbing or wiring, none of them could say. Everything was painted battleship gray - the concrete floor, the conduits, the metal structures, everything. Around them, the sound of machinery pulsed and thrummed and ratcheted. "It's like a cargo ship in here." Michel was whispering. They were all whispering.

"Where do we go now?" Damon kept his silver glow very low, very dim.

"We find Rachel. You try to scan for magic, I guess, and I'll do what I can with my hooves. Stay together, and search." Gregoria sniffed the air, hoping for a guiding scent. Only old dust, lead paint, metal and concrete presented themselves to her.

The entire room was bank after bank of blocky metal cases with conduits leading up and across the ceiling. Occasionally the monotony was broken up by a panel of controls that looked like something from World War Two. The basement was old-tech, and it felt like a museum, but apparently everything was doing the job, whatever it was. As they crept along, constantly on the alert for anything that might set off an alarm, they finally came to a large, half-open vault door.

"This place looks like the Fallout games, you know?" Damon studied the doorway. No sound or light came from beyond it.

"It was probably built during that time." Gregoria peeked around the corner of the door and into a room filled with pipes and handles and pressure wheels. Another, smaller door was visible on the far side. It was closed.

After they entered the next room, Gregoria put her hooves against the far wall and floor and door, alternately, trying to use her earthpony senses to tell anything about what was on the other side. Damon and Michel were busy reading the signs they discovered on the walls - apparently there were rules about overloads and various conditions, as well as warning signs about not messing with electrical boxes, but the only thing that might indicate where they were amounted to a string of letters and numbers. "S4B-PRT-H4" Damon read out loud.

"Shit For Brains, Perfect Retard Trap, Holds Four." Michel intoned.

"At least we're not over the limit." Damon grinned.

"Will you shut up! I'm trying to concentrate!" Gregoria pushed her mind as hard as she could into the concrete, metal and paint, but she was getting nothing useful. Only the buzz of electricity, somewhere, and the distant vibrations of slowly turning fans... again, somewhere. The substance of the facility was not like living soil, or natural rock. It was hard for pony powers to work through. "I can't sense anything beyond. We might as well try it."

Michel and Damon walked to the sealed, metal door. Michel took the round, wheel handle and tried turning it. One direction worked, and something inside the heavy door unlatched. Michel pulled the door open, and dim light spilled into the room.

Michel, Gregoria, and Damon walked carefully out onto a wide balcony walkway. The wall behind them led left and right to more doors like the one they had just passed through, and then to doors at either end of the massive chamber they had just entered.

It looked, at first, like a huge warehouse store, or a strange supermarket. The lighting was dim, apparently deliberately so, and below them, some two stories down, were what looked like endless multicolored backlit racks and displays of ice cream, fish, and frozen foods. As they tried to make sense of what they saw, an uneasy feeling came over them.

A large set of stairs led to the floor below. The racks and displays were glass-fronted containers. Some were boxy, others round, some looked like caskets with domed, transparent lids. These were arranged prone, or upright. In the upright position, they resembled fancy frozen food refrigerators. The contents were not ice cream at all.

The jaguar-man was very clearly dead. He had a hole through his spotted, fur-covered chest. His hands were part paw, and part human-like. He was upright, preserved in some reddish liquid, lit from below and above within the case. "Animal man." Michel spoke the words reverently, quietly. "Anthropomorphic cat man. Some... must have survived the rewrite. I wonder how?"

"He... he doesn't..." Damon was having pony problems dealing with the dead being "...he isn't old. I mean he isn't... Victorian old."

Michel gently laid a paw on the glass-like front of the casket. "No. He survived to our time, or close to it. Somebody shot him, with a gun."

"How... how come..." Gregoria was also having her pony sensibilities offended by the dead humanoid in the glowing fluid. "...how come we can see him. For what he is?"

Michel slowly pulled his paw back. "Crown said some changed people don't ever get the benefit of that blindness thing. Grays, Sasquatches, things like that. Things in the culture. But I think this guy's different. He's from a previous version of the world. I bet there's no magic blindness to protect something like that. I'll bet only brand-new injector stuff is invisible to normals. Someday, it will probably stop for us, too."

Gregoria studied her hooves. Looking at the dead anthropomorph was difficult. "What... eventually normals will be able to see us clearly?" The thought was terrifying. The perceptual blindness was the only way she could walk around unharmed.

"Yup. Once we're old news." Michel took one last look at the proud, fanged Jaguar face. He noticed small holes in the tall ears. "This guy wore earrings, once. Probably clothing, too. Fits. Once, his kind were probably the real Incas and Mayans and whatever. Now, everyone is hairless and boring. Fuck Victoria."

As the three moved on, in silence and awe, they found the cases and racks contained an endless selection of impossible creatures. One very large case held a Yeti, another what must be a Sasquatch, each preserved in a different color of translucent fluid, lit from behind. A rack held glowing, lit-up tanks that were filled with bizarre, tiny animals. At least Gregoria thought they were tiny animals, until Michel pointed out that several were Jaguar-man babies, with fingers and toes. Yes, they were animals, but they were animals in the same way humans were.

There were far more than Jaguar-people. There were shaggy monkey-people, a large buffalo-humanoid, and a strange, shriveled, unwrapped mummy with the head of a Jackal, all preserved in brightly lit, multicolored fluids. Most of the exhibits had clearly been dead for centuries, but some were as new as the Jaguar-man.

"Stop." Michel's voice was calm, but authoritative.

"Why, what is..." But it was too late. Gregoria had caught a glimpse, just the tiniest glimpse, yet it was enough, more than enough. There was no question. Michel couldn't stop her from being certain, and then they had to wait while Michel and Damon held Gregoria and fought to keep her as quiet as possible. She couldn't help crying. Neither could Damon, despite his best efforts. Even though she had betrayed them, Gregoria had known her personally.

The freshly installed case with the lemon-yellow fluid held the body of a partially dissected Equestrian pegasus pony. Not long ago, it had been Joanna.