• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 17,484 Views, 1,159 Comments

Defender of Justice, King Sombra! - VashTheStampede



King Sombra wakes up in the forest with a pounding headache and horrifying memories of what he had been. Now, he sets out not to change his past, but brighten his future.

  • ...
31
 1,159
 17,484

Chapter 22.5: The Nightmare of Sombra (April Fools' Day Bonus Chapter)

When I see what I want, I’m gonna take it

Sombra awoke, a deep, low hunger burning in his stomach. It was a Sunday, right? Sundays mean going to Twilight’s. Sundays mean dark magic. He rolled from the bed, momentarily confused at the coloring of the floor, the dark, bluish wooden planks more distinct that one might have thought. A brief flash of magic and he tugged at the chain hanging from the lamp, and looked behind him, finding a much larger than usual white form in the bed beside him. That was right – he had spent the night at the orphanage, not at Redheart’s as usual. He grunted to himself and stood up, hastily heading out the door to get home. After all, he had promised he’d go back as soon as he could.

If it’s against the law, you can bet I’ll break it

He stopped in Sugarcube Corner. A few minutes couldn’t hurt, and besides, he was hungry. The sign on the door read ‘Closed,’ but Sombra either didn’t notice or didn’t care, he wasn’t too sure which it was. Nopony was behind the counter to greet him, and when he shook his mane he found no bits inside it. It’s no big deal, certainly they won’t miss a single donut, he thought. After all, he was rather hungry. He magicked a donut out from behind the counter and bit into it. It was yesterday’s stock.

My need to feed gives me the will to survive

Stepping back out into the morning, he looked into the sky. Dreary, overcast. It looked as though it were about to rain. He looked forward again, surprised to see Twilight Sparkle scurrying across the square. He was about to call out to her when she seemed to sense his eyes upon her, and she turned her head to meet his gaze.

“Sombra?” Twilight questioned as she trotted over to the stallion, “Where’d you get that donut? I thought Sugarcube Corner was supposed to be closed today. The Cakes are out of town and Pinkie went with them…” the purple Alicorn trailed off and took another glance at the donut. “That’s definitely from Sugarcube corner. Sombra, you can’t just go in and take things like that.”

“Twilight, isn’t it Sunday? Shouldn’t I be meeting with you in just a few minutes?” Sombra asked blankly, ignoring the accusation and taking another bite from the donut.

“Sombra, it’s Friday. Are you feeling okay?” Sombra wasn’t really looking at her so much as through her. Twilight felt a little unnerved to say the least.

I gotta find it fast to keep me alive

Sombra locked eyes on the princess, his irises shifting and stretching as he focused on the mare before him.

“As a matter of fact, I’m feeling a bit light-headed.”

“Here, come with me to the castle, let’s get you checked out.”

I can’t believe my

The two hurried across town, Sombra absent-mindedly gnawing on the donut and watching Twilight’s mane sway in time with her steps.

Hunger

Sombra dropped the donut as Twilight pushed open the door to her castle home. He became acutely aware of how his mouth was watering, and it wasn’t from the stale pastry.

I want it so bad I can taste it

His horn bubbled and gurgled with a sickly green glow and he slammed the door shut behind him.

It drives me mad to see it wasted

Twilight Sparkle jumped.

“Sombra, what is wrong with you today? What are you doing?” The mare was angry now, eyes slanted and head lowered aggressively. Her horn began to glow, preparing a spell to subdue the bigger unicorn if it became necessary.

When I need it so bad that it’s burnin’ me

“Is Spike home, Twilight?”

The mare relaxed, glow fading from her horn and posture rising, loosening, becoming less… prepared. “No, he’s not, he’s with Rarity.”

“Good.”

I’m hungry

---

Sombra gently pressed the door open, back into the damp morning air. It was raining now, not too heavily, but enough to make the ground soggy and give beneath his large, heavy hooves. He swiped a foreleg across the corner of his mouth, enthusiastically examining the dark red smear. He held the leg out, letting the rain wash the evidence away, watching as the red liquid mixed in with the muddy puddles on the ground.

I’d do anything to get it, and feel no regret

Sombra looked down at the puddle and cast a brief spell, smoothing the surface of the puddle. In the glassy reflection he saw his face, eyes full of fire and hatred, mouth hanging slightly open, his horn returned to its smooth, red, curved shape. He smiled at his reflection and looked up, across the town, towards the square. Towards Redheart’s home. His stomach growled and he instinctively brought a hoof to it.

Time’s runnin’ out and I ain’t found it yet

Sombra found himself at the door to the quaint little home he’d grown so fond of. Well, the home itself didn’t really mean all that much to him, it was more the pony that inhabited it. He smiled. Nurse Redheart was kind, smart, caring, beautiful, all the things that would be required of a queen, a queen of the New Crystal Empire. Much further south this time, no more pesky ice and snow. Sombra raised his hoof to knock on the door – but he did not need to knock, this was his home, for now.

I can’t believe my

He was inside the house now, looking at his beloved. She looked back at him, her eyes bright and happy for just a moment, before shifting, widening. She looked at him with fear – no, not fear, concern.

“Sombra? Your horn, it’s… are you okay? Is that blood?”

Hunger

Sombra walked over to her.

“I’ve never felt better,” he said, placing a hoof under her chin and drawing her face close to his own.

I want it so bad I can taste it

Redheat blushed, and pulled away from his touch.

“What’s gotten into you? You’ve never been this… forward with me before,” she breathed, inching backwards on the couch.

It drives me mad to see it wasted

“I see no reason to beat around the bush with my future queen,” Sombra said slowly.

“What are you talking about? Sombra, you’re not a king anymore, I thought you-”

“I will be again, soon!” Sombra’s voice boomed, growling, echoing on itself, “You and I will rule together, over a New Crystal Empire!”

When I need it so bad that it’s burnin’ me

“Sombra, you can’t do this!”

“I can and I will,” he growled, once again feeling that fire in his stomach.

“Then you won’t do it with me,” Redheart said, eyes set, hard. Fear hid behind them, and hid well, but not so well as Sombra could not see.

Dark magic welled from his horn and lanced towards the earth mare.

I’m hungry

Author's Note:

Alright folks, I've had my fun.