• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 17,497 Views, 1,147 Comments

Defender of Justice, King Sombra! - VashTheStampede



King Sombra wakes up in the forest with a pounding headache and horrifying memories of what he had been. Now, he sets out not to change his past, but brighten his future.

  • ...
31
 1,147
 17,497

Chapter 17

“Ma’am,” Sombra called softly as he hurried quickly across the street to the mare, “Ma’am, do you need any help?”

“Actually sonny, I would greatly appreciate the help,” the green-apple colored mare replied, her southern accent perking up in thanks. Sombra took the saddlebags from her and slung them across his own back, surprised at how heavy they were – it took a conscious effort to support them, and he could hardly imagine this mare was anywhere near his physical strength. With the weight lifted from her back, she took off at a surprisingly quick pace, and Sombra had to jog for a moment to catch up.

“My goodness ma’am, these are quite heavy. You were not intending on carrying them far, were you?”

“Just to the outskirts of town, I was heading home to Sweet Apple Acres,” she told him as they walked, “If you’re gonna complain about it I can do it myself though.”

“That was not exactly what I meant, ma’am,” Sombra said, a bit embarrassed, “I merely mea-”

“I know what you meant, sonny,” she replied, “I was just givin’ ya a hard time. Now, my eyesight ain’t what it used to be, but I can tell you’re a big ‘un. Only two other ponies I know as big as you, and neither of them is black. Would you be so kind as to tell me your name?”

“I am Sombra,” he explained.

“Sombra, eh? My name’s Granny Smith. It’s nice to meet ya.”

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance as well, ma’am.”

Granny Smith giggled. “Not many ponies as polite as you nowadays. Are you from around here?”

“No ma’am, I am from… the north,” he said hesitantly, not quite feeling comfortable enough to tell a stranger his true origins.

“I said my eyesight’s bad, not my ears,” the old earth mare said to him, a touch of frustration in her voice, “I heard that pause, but it’s ok if you don’t really want to tell me exactly where you’re from. You’re not my granddaughter after all.”

“Your granddaughter, ma’am?”

“Applejack! Element o’ honesty!” Granny Smith proclaimed rather loudly, scaring Sombra to pause in his stride, “Savior of Equestria several times over! Celestia sonny, you been livin’ under a rock?”

“In a manner of speaking,” he said sheepishly as he shuffled to catch up

“Oh,” Granny Smith’s bravado vanished, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”

“It is alright, ma’am, do not worry. You did not know. Well, if you have a granddaughter, why is she not carrying the groceries, it seems as though…” Sombra got quiet, leaving the rest of the sentence implied as he was not exactly sure how to finish it.

“Ah, that’s the thing, sonny. I’m too old and frail to work in the fields anymore, and Applebloom is in school all day, so while Applejack and Big Macintosh are out in the orchards, I’m left to go run errands. Even if it takes me a while.”

The explanation made sense to Sombra, but it still didn’t feel right. He didn’t respond for a moment, until Granny Smith prompted him for one.

“You still there sonny? Tongue fall out?”

“No ma’am, I was ju-”

“I’m just teasin’! Lighten up a little, it’s alright. And call me Granny, not ma’am.”

“Yes ma- yes, Granny,” Sombra corrected himself.

“Here, let me tell you a story while we walk, a story about how Ponyville came to be…”

---

Granny Smith’s story ended with perfect timing as they reached the front door of Sweet Apple Acres’ house. Sombra was left fascinated, and wondering just how old this mare actually was.

“Thank you kindly for helping me carry my groceries, sonny. Would you like to come in and have something to drink?”

“Oh no, Granny, I could not impo-”

“I insist,” she said again in a tone that made it clear it was not an offer. Sombra swallowed and nodded, and followed Granny Smith inside. The house was old, but in good condition, and very nice. Well-loved, but beautiful, hoof-carved furniture and cabinets were arranged in the rooms and against the walls. Family photographs dating back to before Ponyville existed were scattered around, and apple-themed paraphernalia filled the rest of the flat spaces. He followed the green mare into the kitchen, and gently set the saddlebags on the table.

“Now, what would you like to drink, Sombra? We got milk, home-made apple tea, home-made apple juice, home-made apple cider,” Granny read from the labels in the refrigerator, “home-made hard cider,” she added after a brief pause.

“Some apple juice sounds amazing, thank you,” Sombra accepted her offer, and was promptly given a glass of the gold-colored liquid. He took a sip, surprised at how crisp and sweet it was. “This is delicious. You said this is all home-made?”

“Yes siree,” she answered, “You see all those apple trees outside? What else do you think we do with them?”

Ah yes, that does make sense, Sombra thought, and continued sipping at the juice. Before he even realized it, the groceries were stored in the appropriate areas and the bags tucked away… and his juice was gone.

“Would you like to come sit and chat for a while?” Granny offered, this time her tone less commanding.

“Actually, I do think I should get going. Thank you very much for the apple juice, Granny.”

“And thank you for helping me with the groceries. It was nice to meet you, Sombra. Please feel free to drop by again sometime.”

“I will, Granny. Thank you,” Sombra said with a smile, and began to turn for the door.

“Granny! Granny are you ok? He hasn’t done anything to you, has he? I swear to Celestia, Sombra, if you lay a hoof on her…” A bright orange, and much younger, earth mare burst into the room, panting.

“Applejack, what are you on about?” Granny Smith said, a hint of anger in her voice, “This nice gentlecolt just helped me carry the groceries home. He’s a perfectly nice stallion.”

“Granny, you can’t trust him,” Applejack said, still slightly out of breath, “He’s evil!”

“Applejack, dear, you have always been a terrible liar, and we both know why.”

“Celestia, Sombra what have you done to her mind?”

“He ain’t done nothin’ to me!” Granny Smith yelled, “Girl, you are my granddaughter and I love you, but sometimes you just don’t get it. I’m fine. He’s fine. There’s nothing wrong here.”

“Actually, there is one thing I do have to question,” Sombra pointed out as a thought entered his mind, “You are cursing to Celestia and swearing to Celestia. What of the Great Creator Faust?”

“Faust?” Applejack and Granny Smith answered in unison.

“Yes, the Great Creator Faust, Mother of the Six Immortals. Your Princesses are two of those Six, in fact.”

“Sombra,” Granny began, “I’m afraid I’ve got no idea what you’re talking about.”

“You were never taught history in school?”

“Yes, we were,” Applejack answered this time, “but I ain’t ever heard of a ‘Faust.’”

“How can you have never…” Sombra’s voice died in confusion. “I need to go, I need to talk to Twilight. Granny Smith, thank you kindly for your hospitality,” he said, then turned and ran out the door, leaving the dumbfounded mares alone in the kitchen.

---

Sombra had not run so far or so hard in a very long time. Onlookers might have thought he was about to drop dead from how hard he was wheezing. He knocked on the crystal door, and soon enough Twilight Sparkle answered.

“So-”

“Who is-” another gulp of air, “Faust to you?”

“I… don’t know anypony named Faust,” Twilight answered, shying away from the gasping stallion. “Are you alright?”

“I just… ran all the way… from Sweet Apple Acres…” Sombra continued to breath heavily, inhalations punctuating his sentence. “Because Applejack… said she didn’t know… who Faust was, so I thought… that maybe a pony with more reading experience… would have a better idea,” the pauses became less frequent as his breath came back to him.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t know of anything or anypony named ‘Faust,’ fictional or not,” Twilight answered slowly, trying to remember anything she might have read about, even in her fillyhood days, “Would you like to come in?”

“Yes, please,” Sombra took one more great inhalation, and stepped into the giant crystalline structure. Twilight lead him over to the sitting area, and he took a seat on the couch when offered to him.

“So who is this Faust,” Twilight began, “To you, that is, that it has you so concerned over them?”

“The Great Creator Faust, Mother of the Six Immortals,” Sombra replied as casually as answering a simple arithmetic question, “Surely a pony as well-read as you has read or at least heard of the Story of the Six Immortals, yes?”

“I can’t say that I have, actually,” Twilight said apologetically.

“The two great spheres? The brothers Tirek, Scorpan, and Discord?”

“I know those names, but I don’t know anything about ‘two great spheres,’” she answered.

“The loss of, and search for, the Gifts? None of this rings any bells?”

“No, it really doesn’t.”

“Faust’s creation of the world, the disappearance of the changelings from the Crystal Empire? Nothing?”

“I told you, no. Sombra, what in Celestia’s name are you talking about?”

Sombra was dumbfounded. Twilight did it, too. She called the name of Celestia, not that of Faust. “Miss Twilight, who created the heavens and the earth and all that fills them?”

“The Princesses.”

“Miss Twilight, who created ponies?”

“The Princesses.”

“The only ponies your Princesses created were the Crystal Ponies and the Changelings,” Sombra replied with a laugh not meant to be mirthful.

“Created the Changelings? Sombra, that’s insane. You’re insane, none of this happ-”

“‘From a shed fragment of her youngest sister’s crystalline wings, Celestia created the Crystal Ponies,’” Sombra quoted, not once breaking eye contact with the younger Alicorn.

“What are you talking about?” Twilight’s voice was rising beyond disbelief and was now bordering on anger.

“‘From a lock of Celestia’s flowing mane, Luna created the changelings,’” Sombra continued, “‘And so the new ponies spread through the land – the changelings and the Crystal Ponies going to the north.’”

“Sombra, that never happ-”

“Don’t you dare tell me what did or did not happen, Twilight Sparkle! You were not there! You did not watch them leave! You did not watch her leave!” Sombra roared, all pretenses of politeness dropped. He had gone beyond confusion and exasperation, this was anger now. Twilight took a couple steps back – both shocked that the typically meek stallion was yelling and genuinely intimidated by the fury in his eyes. She had no response to his outburst, and the two stared at each other for several moments. When Sombra spoke again, it was through gritted teeth.

“Twilight Sparkle. Your mentor has been hiding things from you. I want you to write your mentor a letter. Right now. Just a simple question. ‘Who is Faust?’ That is all you need to write. Write this letter and send it, and await the Princess’ response.”

Twilight nodded and took a piece of parchment and a quill from her desk, and penned the three words, before calling to Spike and having him send it.

A tense silence followed, only interrupted when Spike belched out the response letter.

“My dear Twilight,” the purple Alicorn began to read aloud, “I am afraid I do not know of anypony by that name. Perhaps they were a character in one of those novels you loved so much as a filly? With love, Princess Celestia.”

“What? What is she talking- she was there!” Sombra sputtered, “Has she forgotten? Have the millennia taken their toll on your Princess?”

“Don’t talk about Celestia like that!” Twilight admonished him, “She must have a reason, if anything you’ve said is true.”

“Send another letter.”

“Why?”

“Send another letter. Ask Celestia if we can come. I need to know what is going on, Twilight, please.”

The mare nodded and grabbed another piece of parchment, upon which she asked her second question, and again passed it to Spike. Another few moments passed after the first letter was immolated, another appeared from the mouth of the baby dragon.

“I suppose you can, I had nothing important scheduled for this afternoon anyways. I anticipate your visit with happiness,” Twilight read.

“How soon can we get there?”

“I can teleport us, but I usually only do one po-”

“Then do it.”

“It will be extremely uncomfortable… or so I’ve read, at least.”

“Do it.”

Twilight nodded, and the pair disappeared with a pop.

Sombra felt as though his very existence was being torn apart – flesh separated from bone, bone from spirit, and spirit from reality. As soon as the experience ended, it reversed, and when his body was whole again, and the world rushed up to meet him. He was in the halls of Canterlot, no, not just the halls – he was in the throne room. Celestia sat upon the golden chair, a small smile on her face. Sombra looked around and found an empty vase, ran to it, and vomited into it.

“‘Uncomfortable,’” Sombra panted, “My muscular flank that was ‘uncomfortable.’”

“Princess,” Twilight began, “Sombra is spouting some nonsense about how you and Luna are not the creators, about some Story of the Six Immortals – I tried to explain to him how I have read every book in the Canterlot Library, even those held back from the public, and have never heard of that book, but he is insisting it exists.”

“Allow me to bring in my sister on this matter – memory has never been my personal strong point, perhaps she will remember the story he speaks of,” Celestia responded calmly, that small smile still on her face. Her horn glowed yellow for just a moment, and seconds later Luna appeared.

“Good morning, sister. I trust you have a good reason for waking me at this hour?” Luna questioned with a cute yawn, before seeing Sombra. “What is HE doing here?” The Lunar Princess’ voice rose to room-shaking levels.

“Princess Luna,” Sombra had recovered enough to show his deference, “It is an honor to meet you on less hateful terms. I apologize for the troubles I have cause you in my past and I swear to you and to Faust that I have changed, and I am not that stallion anymore.”

YOU are the reason I spent one thousand lonely years on the moon, with no one to guide me save the hateful, violent, anarchic messages your dark magic left i-” Luna’s fury subsided as soon as it began, and her voice grew soft again. “Did you say Faust?”

“Yes, princess.”

“So that is why you are here.”

Celestia gave her sister a quizzical glance, but said nothing to her. Instead, she turned to Sombra, opening her mouth to speak gently. “It seems you have raised this question of Faust in my star pupil’s mind, Sombra. What about it bothers you so?”

“Do you no longer teach the Story of the Six Immortals? Do you no longer teach history?” Sombra asked in disbelief, completely taken aback by Celestia’s obliviousness. He did not notice it, but Princess Luna sat up a little straighter and opened her eyes a little wider at the name.

“Sombra,” Celestia replied, accenting her pause with a sip of her tea, “I do not know of any story or book by that title.”

“Would you deny your own Mother?”

Everypony at the table noticed Luna’s reaction to this question – or they would have, at least, had Celestia not abruptly stood up, her teacup still held in her magical grip. She said nothing, but the anger in her was apparent.

“‘In the beginning, there was Faust,’” Sombra said defiantly, gaze not wavering from the great white Alicorn’s face, “‘Faust saw the emptiness around her and strove to fill it, creating the first of the two great spheres. The sphere of Earth, contai-’”

His sentence was interrupted by the sound of a teacup shattering, the delicate ceramic drinking cup exploding into a thousand tiny shards as it dropped to the table. Shortly after it, Celestia dropped to her haunches, finding she suddenly lacked the strength to stand as memories rushed back to her.

“Princess!” Twilight cried, rushing to her mentor’s side. Luna looked lost, glancing quickly from one nothing to the next, searching for something inside her mind, before disappearing with a blue pop.

“The Story of the Six Immortals,” Celestia breathed, eyes unfocused, “I… I had every copy destroyed shortly after Luna… after I…”

“Not every copy, dear sister,” Luna said as she reappeared, a very, very old book held delicately in her magical grasp. “It seems your orders to leave my room untouched since my banishment inadvertently spared my own personal copy. Have you truly forgotten?”

How could you have forgotten?” Sombra interjected before Celestia could respond, “How could you deny the existence of your Mother and declare creation your own?”

“Because it hurt less to deny my mother than it did to remember my sisters and my brother!” Celestia yelled, her voice quavering as though on the verge of tears, “My baby sister was lost to me, and shortly after that I had to banish my only brother and my remaining sister. How could I remember what I had done? I wanted to forget, I wanted everypony to forget…” Celestia trailed off and stared sadly at the fragmented remains of her teacup. “I wanted to forget…”

“Sister…” Luna began, then paused, searching for the words, “You have not lost us. I have come back, even brother Discord has returned, with much of his sanity restored,” the blue Alicorn paused again as Twilight attempted to interrupt her, but the purple mare silenced herself quickly. “I too mourn for Chrysalis every day-”

This was too much for Twilight. “Discord I can believe,” she began, “He acted like he knew you, and, while he caused havoc en masse, he never attempted to kill you. Chrysalis wanted you dead! As much as it pains me to say it, she overpowered you and imprisoned you. How could Chrysalis be your sister?”

“She overpowered me because I was holding back, Twilight. If I had truly unleashed my power, Canterlot would be but a smoldering crater, and everything and everypony in it destroyed. I also held back at the shock of seeing my baby sister for the first time in so long… we thought she was lost and had vanished from this world, and when she came back, I was overjoyed, but to see her in such a state…” Celestia’s voice betrayed her, and Luna rushed to embrace her elder sister as the tears began to fall.

“I can’t… I don’t…” Twilight’s mind was refusing to process the information presented to her. Discord, Celestia’s brother? Ok, sure, it made some vague amount of sense, but Chrysalis as her younger sister? That was beyond belief.

“Twilight, you should read this, the first chapter at least,” Luna said, still hugging her crying sister, and floated the decaying book to the younger mare. “Be careful with it, it is from the time before my rebellion.”

Twilight gingerly opened the (surprisingly thin) tome, and began to read quietly to herself. The more she read the less she could believe.

“This is crazy! Celestia, you never taught me any of this. You never taught anypony any of this. Why have you gone through such lengths to hide this? And Chrysalis is your baby sister? Then why did she try to kill you? What is going on? Why did Sombra know about this?”

“Because I lived it, Twilight,” Sombra said flatly, “The loss of Chrysalis was during my reign before my fall, and I was still ruling when Discord was imprisoned. I was sealed before Princess Luna… before the rebellion, but this book is historical fact. I watched the changelings leave my Empire to never be seen again. I watched her… I watched the brilliance, the life, the wonder in her eyes disappear and fade forever. I saw her leave, and I never saw her again. It happened, Twilight, do not question it.”

“But-”

“It is true, Twilight,” Luna cut her off, “It is all true. Why Celestia hid it I do not know, but it is true.”

“I coul-dn’t bear to remem-ber the fa-family I lost,” Celestia broke through her tears, “It was e-easier to forget tha-n it was to accept m-y own failures.”

“Shhh… sister, sister,” Luna consoled her, “I have returned, as has Discord. Our family is becoming whole again. Perhaps one day Chrysalis too may return. Do not lose faith, sister, we can always have hope.”

Celestia sniffed deeply and buried her face in her sister’s mane, bringing her hooves up to hug her tightly. “I missed you so dearly, sister, I am sorry I was not strong enough to save you.”

“I missed you more, sister, and I am sorry for what you had to do.”

Sombra shifted awkwardly on his hooves, with the distinct feeling this was a moment not meant to be shared with anyone besides the sisters. Twilight opened her mouth to ask if they should leave, but Luna caught her before she spoke and nodded her approval. Twilight and Sombra stood quietly and moved to the door and out into the hall.

“So that’s why she never taught me about Faust,” Twilight mumbled to the floor when they were out of the throne room.

“Yeah. That got… I did not expect that reaction. I expected to be angry with the Princess, but now I just feel… I do not want to say pity, but I feel pity.”

“Yeah. Let’s go home, Sombra. Should we teleport again?”

“Not unless you want a mess in your house.”

“Fair enough. I like the train more, anyways.”

“… Miss Twilight?”

“Yes Sombra?”

“How do I make a reservation?”