• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 2,933 Views, 16 Comments

The Elements of Nature, Book 1 - The Avenger



Seven continents, 100+ countries, five ponies, one destiny.

  • ...
5
 16
 2,933

Chapter 6, Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku

The Elements of Nature, Book 1
Chapter 6, Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku

Fire’ is now packing some water and food for the tripe, and is nerves to go, due to the island being in the Fire Nation. “Please don't go Fire.’” Twilight desperately said. “The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation. Neither can I.”

“But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means!” Fire’ said as he gets into the chariot. “I need to get to the temple before Celestia sets the sun on the solstice. That's today!”

“We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation, Fire.’” Luna said, causing Fire’ to stare curiously at them.

“At least not alone.” Rainbow said as she and the other Wonderbolts put on the harness to the chariot as the others get on with Fire.’

“It's a long journey to the Crescent Island.” The mayor said as he hands Fire’ a map. “You'll have to fly fast to have any chance of making it before sundown. Good luck.”

“Thank you for your-”

Go!” The mayor sharply interrupted Celestia, while yelling and pointing toward ocean. Rainbow and the Wonderbolts then fly off, leaving behind a multicolor and multi-pattern trail in the sky.

==================================================================

Later that morning, the mayor leaves his home, yawning, but stops when he sees Zuko is standing directly in front of him, terrifying him. “Having trouble sleeping?” Zuko said as he strikes the Pegasus, knocking him back through the door. “Seen any Avatars lately?”

==================================================================

Day has come as the Pegasi soar over the ocean, with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo all watching the ocean fearfully. “Come on guys, we've got a long way to go. Faster!” Fire’ said to the Pegasi.

“Tell us something we don’t know.” Rainbow snapped at Fire.’ Unfortunately, they do not notice Zuko’s ship not far behind.

“Sailing into Fire Nation waters ... of all the foolish things you've done in your 27 years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!” Iroh said to his hotheaded nephew as he scans the sky with binoculars.

“I have no choice, Uncle.” Zuko defended.

“Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you?” Iroh angrily said. “What if you're caught?” He fearfully finished.

At this, Zuko stops looking at the sky for a second. “I'm chasing one of the Avatars! My father will understand why I am returning home!”

“You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type!” Iroh pointed out, but Zuko just ignores him.

“There they are.” Zuko said when he sees the chariot. “Helmsmare! Full steam ahead!”

“Guys, we got trouble!” Scootaloo said as Pinkie looks back at Zuko’s ship.

“Yeah! And it's gaining, fast!” Pinkie said, her mane loosing its curl due to fear.

On his ship, Zuko orders his crew to set up a Fire Nation, loaded with a steaming projectile. “Uh, really Prince Zuko, couldn't you shoot them down with something more fragrant?” Iroh said as he waves a fan in his face.

“Who’s idea was it to go with tradition?” Zuko said as he takes a torch and lights the projectile. “On my mark! ... Fire!” At this, a guard beside him slices the rope holding back the catapult, firing the flaming projectile towards the group.

Fireball!” Fluttershy screamed.

“We’re on it!” Rainbow said as she and the Wonderbolts move the chariot out-of-the-way just in time to avoid the fireball, but not the stink. The smell is so bad that it makes Rarity faint and the rest to cover their noses. “We have to get out of his range, before he shoots another hot stinker at us!”

“Cain't yo' guys hoof it enny faster?” Applejack asked them.

“Yeah.” Spitfire and Rainbow arrogantly said.

“We can, but there’s one little problem.” Misty Fly said as she points ahead of the group.

“A blockade.” Zuko said when he sees a two-row line of Fire Nation ships stretching across the ocean as far as the eye can see, with most of them having numerous missiles and other projectiles prepared to fire.

“Technically you are still in international waters. Turn back now and they cannot arrest you.” Iroh suggested.

“If we fly north, we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade! It's the only way.” Fire’ suggested.

“There's no time!” Celestia pointed out.

“This is exactly why I didn't want you to come! It's too dangerous!” Fire’ said.

“And that's exactly why we're here.” Twilight said as she takes his hoof.

“Let's run this blockade!” Scootaloo boldly said, to which the other Pegasi speed up.

“He's not turning around!” Zuko said upon seeing this.

“Please Prince Zuko! If the Fire Nation captures you, there's nothing I can do! Do not follow the Fire Avatar.” Iroh begged.

“I'm sorry, Uncle.” Zuko sorrowfully said before he thrusts his hoof forward commandingly. “Run the blockade!” He ordered.

On one ship, Commander Zhao is looking at both the chariot and Zuko’s ship with a telescope. “The Fire Avatar. The three princesses of Equestria. And the banished prince of the Fire Nation. This must be my lucky day.” Zhao said as he puts the telescope away.

“Commander Zhao. What are your orders?” A captain asked.

“Shoot the chariot down, captain.” Zhao ordered.

“But there's a Fire Navy ship out there, sir!” The surprised captain said. “One of our own! What if it's hit?”

“So be it.” Zhao said as the captain backs up in shock. “It belongs to a traitor.” Zhao continued coolly. “Launch!” Zhao commanded, which causes the sky to become littered with flaming fireballs and rockets fired from the blockade.

The group, even Celestia and Luna, scream as the Wonderbolts manage to evade numerous projectiles, some exploding midair. The team flies directly through one that exploded before them, and Rapidfire screams in pain. He’s quickly taken into the chariot and gets some ointment for the burns on his wings. “Fluttershy, here, now!” Rainbow called to an unenthusiastic Fluttershy, who somehow manages to put on the harness and keeps up with the others.

On the ocean surface, Zuko's ship is narrowly missing many falling projectiles. Sheets of ocean water crash over the ship, and crew members run for safety. A single missile explodes on the aft side of the vessel. “Prince Zuko! The engines are damaged! We need to stop and make repairs!” An engineer yelled.

“Do not stop this ship.” Zuko ordered as Zhao lunches more projectiles. Just over the clouds, fireballs burst through everywhere and smoke fills the air. The Pegasi dodge many fireballs before two collide and explode in front of them, causing Scootaloo to be thrown off plunge for the ocean, screaming.

Scootaloo!!!!” Rainbow screamed as the group turn around and catch Scootaloo, who was trying to fly her way to safety. “I really need to teach you how to fly, pipsqueak.” Rainbow said as they head straight for Zhao’s ship.

“Ready...” Zhao said as he holds up his hoof, issuing his command. “Fire!” Right when he said that, an extremely large fireball is lunch straight at the chariot. Fire’ then jumps on each of the Pegasi’s backs and, using a powerful firebending kick, and the flaming boulder explodes in a large smoky blast. The blast is so strong, that is sends Fire’ back, but luckily, Applejack and Twilight grab him as the Wonderbolts soar safely over the blockade, passing them.

“We made it!” An ecstatic Fire’ said, while both Celestia and Luna are grimacing in terror.

“We got into the Fire Nation. Great.” Celestia meekly said.

“Where do you think the Fire Avatar is heading, sir?” Zhao’s captain asked.

“I'm not sure.” Zhao said as he turns aside and gazes at Zuko's smoking ship. “But I bet a certain banished prince will know.” He said when he sees that Zuko's ship is approaching two ships in the blockade. These two ships sail opposite directions, in a moment they will close off Zuko's ships path.

“We're on a collision course!” Iroh said.

“We can make it.” Zuko said with much confidence.

On Zhao’s ship, the captain stands ahead of a squad of nine soldiers. “The boarding party is ready to apprehend Prince Zuko, sir.” He said.

“Wait!” Zhao swiftly said. “Cut the engines, and let them pass.” Each ship in the blockade halts, allowing Zuko's ship to glide by beneath their deck, untouched. Zhao stands high, sharing an interlocked gaze with the banished prince below. Zuko and Iroh look behind them in silence as they sail safely through, while Iroh strokes his gray beard curiously.

==================================================================

Several hours later, the sky has changed to a darker, sunset-filled evening. The Pegasi are visibly tried. Everypony has collapsed into the chariot. The only exception is Fire,’ who is barely awake, that is until he sees the island. “There it is!” He nearly shouted, waking everypony. “The island where Roku's dragon took me.” Fire’ said as the others see the volcanic crescent moon shaped island.

The pegasi land at the base of a stone bridge leading up to the island's mountain. The bridge ends at an elegant, multistory Fire Temple. Lava is flowing beneath the bridge and the air is thick with steam. “I’m not sure if I can fly another meter even if I wanted too.” Rainbow said, lying on the ground.

“You stay here and rest.” Celestia said to the Wonderbolts as she and the others head for the temple.

Once they cross the bridge, the go behind a rock and check for any guards. “I don't see any guards.” Applejack said.

“The Fire Nation must have abandoned the temple when Avatar Roku died.” Twilight said.

“It's almost sundown. We better hurry!” Fire’ said as he heads inside.

“Celestia, why can’t you just stop the sun?” Rainbow asked.

“It’s not that simple.” Celestia answered as they walk into the temple.

“Oh, this place is so beautiful.” Rarity said as she admires the enormous chamber with fire-decor columns.

“Wait. I think I heard something.” Fluttershy said as Pinkie gets a pinchy knee and a frizzy mane, meaning someone is following them.

“Ugh...” Sweetie said with a point, which the others follow and see 5 old Earth Ponies in red robes and with tall hats.

“We are the Fire Sages. Guardians of the temple of the Avatar.” The oldest one in the middle said.

“Great! He is the Fire Avatar!” Rainbow said while pointing toward Firebrand.

“We know.” The sage in the middle said as he and the other four take out some flamethrowers and fire at the group. But Fire’ stops the blasts.

“I'll hold them off. Run!” Fire’ shouted to the others, who head for the nearest hallway. Fire’ then sends the ball of fire back at the sages, the blast knocking them off their hoofs. Fire’ then takes the opportunity to flee after his friends.

“If the Fire Avatar contacts Roku, there's no telling how powerful the colt will become!” The lead sage said. “Split up and find him.”

In one of the halls, Twilight and her friends are running down, trying to find Fire,’ which they do when he bumps into Twilight. “Sorry.” Fire’ said as he helps Twilight up and runs down the hallway.

“Do you even know where you're going?” Rainbow asked.

“Nope!” Fire’ said as he turns a corner, but before the others get to it, Fire’ comes running back the way he came. “Wrong way!” Fire’ fearfully said and he goes past them. The reason is a Fire Sage is there, the youngest one, which causes the others to run also.

“Come back!” He called out as they run down another hall, but run into a dead-end. They turn around and face the sage, who holds his hoofs up in peace. “I don't want to fight you! I am a friend.”

“Fire Nation folks ain’t our friends!” Applejack said as Fire’ steps ahead of his friends, assuming a fighting stance. The sage then steps toward the Fire Avatar, before dropping to his knees and pressing his head to the floor in submission. This startles the others, especially Rainbow, who was eager for a fight.

“I know why you're here, Fire Avatar.” The sage said, slightly surprising Firebrand.

“You do?” Fire’ asked.

“Yes.” The sage said as he rises from the floor and stands up. “My name is Shyu. You wish to speak to Avatar Roku. I can take you to him.”

“How?” Twilight skeptically said. At this, the sage slides back a lamplight on the wall, which opens a secret passage.

“This way.” Shyu said. Just then, they all hear some hoof-steps heading for their location. “Time is running out! Quickly!” Fire’ is the first to enter, followed by Twilight and the others, until Shyu enters and closes the passage.

==================================================================

Meanwhile, out in the ocean, Zuko is at his ship's bow, talking to his uncle. “What's he up to, Uncle?” Zuko asked, wondering ... “Why didn't Commander Zhao arrest me?”

“Because he wants to follow you.” Iroh answered. “He knows you'll lead him to the prize you're both after: one of the Avatars.”

“If Zhao wants to follow a trail of smoke, then that's exactly what I'll let him do.”

==================================================================

Back on the island, the sage is leading the group through a large cavern that has a river of magma just next to them. “Avatar Roku once called this temple his home. He formed these secret passages out of the magma.” Shyu explained.

“Did you know Avatar Roku?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“No. But one of my ancestors knew him.” Shyu said. “Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Fire Temple long before me. We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place.”

“Is that how you knew I was coming?” Fire’ asked.

“A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred. The statue of Avatar Roku; its eyes began to glow!” Shyu said.

“That's when I tried the revilement spell of Fire.’” Twilight said.

“At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world.” Shyu said as he leads the group up some stairs.

“If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?” Fire’ asked.

“Things have changed.” Shyu answered. “In the past, the sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return. But he never came.”

“Guess I'm a little late.” Fire’ said as he stops for a second, but continues on.

“They lost hope the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin began the War, my ancestor and the other sages were forced to follow him.” Shyu said as he shake his head sadly. “I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other sages.”

“We'll reach the sanctuary at the top of these stairs.” Shyu said as the take another pair of stairs. “Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar Roku's statue. Only then will you be able to speak with him.” Shyu said as he slides back a secret tile and climbs into the outer sanctuary. Massive columns with dragon statues on top of them line the room, along with an immense door before them with a device holding five openmouthed dragons. “No!”

“Shyu, what's wrong?” Fire’ asked as he walks up to the door.

“The sanctuary doors, they're closed!” Shyu said.

“Can't you just open them with some hidden switch? Like you opened that other door?” Rarity said.

“Won’t be a problem. Twilight, Celestia and Luna can just pull the doors apart.” Rainbow said.

“No. That won’t work.” Shyu stated.

“Why?” Celestia asked.

“The doors are made from anti-magic metal.” Shyu pointed out. “And besides, only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open this door alone. Otherwise, the sages must open this door together, with five simultaneous fire blasts.”

“Five fire blasts?” Sweetie Belle said as Scootaloo thinks.

“Thats it!” Scootaloo said when she gets an idea, accidentally hitting a lamp, turning it on.

==================================================================

Back to Zuko's smoke-billowing ship, near the bottom, of the stern, a small vessel that’s holding Zuko is being slid into the water. “Uncle, keep heading north. Zhao will follow the smoke trail, while I use it as a cover.” Zuko said to his uncle, who just grunts in doubt, stroking his beard in deep thought as Zuko's boat settles on the ocean's surface and disappears in the smoke.

==================================================================

Back at the temple, Scootaloo is busy pouring some oil and black powder into s a bag. “This is a little trick my older brother, Lance, taught me when he came back from the Royal Guard Boot Camp. I seal the lamp oil inside a leather casing, Firebrand lights the oil soaked twine and, ta-da! Fake firebending!” She said when she finishes the last bag.

“This isn't you worst idea, Scootaloo.” Apple Bloom said. “Defiantly better then the zip line and cannon.”

“This might actually work.” Shyu said as Rarity places the last bag in the dragon's mouth. “The sages will hear the explosion, so as soon as they go off, you rush in!” Shyu said to Fire’ as they hid behind a column.

“It's almost sunset. Are you ready?” Twilight said to Fire,’ who ignites the twine.

“Defiantly.” Fire’ said as he hides behind another column. There is an intense explosion, producing a lot of smoke. Fire’ then bursts forward and runs for the door and strains to open the them, but it wont budged. “They're still locked!” A surprised Fire’ said.

“It didn't work.” Shyu said.

Fire’ then gets angry, really angry, to the point that he’s blasting the door, scaring everypony. “Why ... won't ... it ... open?!

Unable to see him like this, Twilight seizes Fire's arm. “Firebrand! Stop! There's nothing else we can do...”

“I'm sorry I put you through all of this for nothing.” Fire’ said after Twilight lets him go as Scootaloo looks at the scorch marks left behind.

“I don't get it.” She said. “That blast looked as strong as any firebending or flamethrower I've seen.”

At this, Rainbow gets an idea. “Scootaloo, you're a genius!” She said.

“Wait. How is Scootaloo a genius?” A confused Firebrand said. “Her plan didn't even work.”

“Don’t ruin the moment!” Scootaloo hissed, more than excited that her idol called her a genius.

“You're right. Scootaloo's plan didn't work. But it looks like it did.” Rainbow pointed out.

“Is the definition of genius different in Equestria?”

==================================================================

A bit later, the other Fire Sages run toward Shyu in front of the door. “Come quickly!” Shyu called out. “The Fire Avatar has entered the sanctuary!”

“How did he get in?” The Great Fire Sage asked.

“I don't know. But look at the scorch marks! And down there!” Shyu said as he points to a shadow visible at the bottom of the door.

“He's inside!” A slightly scared Great Fire Sage said. “Open the doors, immediately! Before he contacts Avatar Roku!” The five sages then reach for their flamethrowers and fire at each of the dragon’s mouths, opening the door. What they didn't notice is that Fire’ is actually hiding behind a column a few meters away, ad that the shadow belongs to ... “It's one of the Fire Avatar's filly friends.” The Great Sage said, referring to Scootaloo, who’s covered in soot. “She must have crawled through the pipes! We've been tricked!”

“Peekaboo!” Scootaloo said as she jumps the Great Sage as the others charged forward, capturing the other sages.

Shyu then grabs the last free sage and hauls him into his grip, pinning him. “Now, Firebrand!” Shyu called, but Fire’ does nothing.

“Fire’! This is your chance!” Twilight called, only to become horrified as Zuko steps into sight, Firebrand trapped and having an anti-magic collar.

“The Fire Avatar's coming with me!” Zuko said as the captured sages each reclaim the upper hand, pinning their captors down and placing anti-magic collars on the Unicorns and Alicorns. The Great Fire Sage, due to hatting fillies, throws Scootaloo through an open window, which horrifies Rainbow Dash to the point of speechlessness. “Close the doors! Quickly!” Zuko said as he takes Fire’ down the stairs.

Walking down steps, Fire’ glances over his shoulders to see Twilight being chained to a column. He manages to break free, spinning behind Zuko to send him down the stairs and runs for Twilight. “Go!” Twilight said, turning her head toward the closing door. Fire’ listens without hesitation, turning to charge for the door guarded by two sages.

He leaps into the air to avoid the Great Fire Sage's punch and bounces off his hoofs from each of the two sage's heads before sailing through the door just as it closes. “He made it!” A very happy Twilight said. Just then, a bright white light appears, coming from the sanctuary, causing everypony to look away.

==================================================================

Inside, Fire’ is kneeling and looks up to a tall statue of Avatar Roku as a beam of red sunlight enters the room and strikes a glistening red jewel held by the statue. “The light hits the statue and I talk to Roku. So why isn't anything happening?” A confused Fire’ said as he stands up.

==================================================================

Outside, Zuko and the four sages fire their flamethrowers into the door's locks. But nothing happens this time. “Why isn't it working? It's sealed shut!” A frustrated Zuko said.

“It must have been the light.” The Great Fire Sage said. “Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside.”

==================================================================

Inside, Fire’ is now standing in the middle of the room, exasperated. “Why isn't anything happening? I don't know what I'm doing! All I know is firebending! Please Avatar Roku, talk to me!” Just then, Roku's statue turns red as sunlight engulfs it.

Its eyes are now glowing white. Fire’ is slightly surprise as smoke fills the room. When the white smoke dissipates, Avatar Roku is standing before him, and the two are now on a mountaintop and only clouds are visible below. “It's good to see you Firebrand. What took you so long?” Roku said as Fire’ respectfully bows.

==================================================================

Outside ... “Why did you help the Fire Avatar?” Zuko firmly asked Shyu, who's kneeling before Zuko.

“Because it was once the sages' duty. It is still our duty.” Shyu said sadly but proudly.

“What a moving and heartfelt performance.” At this, Zuko turns around quickly and sees Commander Zhao and severely soldiers following. “I'm certain the Fire Lord will understand, when you explain why you betrayed him.”

The Great Fire Sage then bows before ... “Commander Zhao.”

“And Prince Zuko. It was a noble effort, but your little smokescreen didn't work.” Zhao said as Zuko scowls sharply while two soldiers seize his arms. “Two traitors in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased.”

“You're too late, Zhao!” Zuko snapped. “The Fire Avatar's inside and the doors are sealed.”

“No matter.” Zhao said as he grins confidently. “Sooner or later, he has to come out.”

==================================================================

Inside, Roku is beginning to explain to Fire’ the reason he’s here. “I have something very important to tell you, Firebrand. That is why, when you were in the Spirit World last, I sent my dragon to find you.”

“Is it about that vision? The one of the comet?”

“Yes.”

“What does it mean?”

“Two-thousand years ago, Fire Lord Sozin used that comet to begin the War. He and his army harnessed its incredible power, and dealt a deadly first strike against the other nations.” Roku said.

“So the comet made them stronger?”

“Yes. Stronger than even one hundred Secretariat Comets can do.”

“But that happened two-thousand years ago. What does the comet have to do with the War now?”

“Listen carefully. Sozin's Comet will return by the end of the summer in three years time, and Fire Lord Ozia will use its power to finish the War, once and for all. If he succeeds, even the Avatars won't be able to restore balance to the world. Firebrand, you must find the other four Avatars and defeat the Fire Lord, before the comet arrives.”

“But I haven't even started looking for the other Avatars!” Fire’ countered anxiously. “Not to mention that I haven’t even mastered my firebending!”

“Mastering the elements takes many years of discipline and practice. But if the world is to survive, you must master fire, find the other Avatars and help them master their elements in three years.” Roku said to a shocked Firebrand.

==================================================================

Outside, Zhao and his crew, circle around the door's perimeter, assuming a stance so they can use their flamethrowers at full power. They begin to wait patiently for the door to open. “When those doors open, unleash all your firepower!” Zhao shouted.

“How's Fire’ gonna make it out of this?” A worried Twilight asked her friends.

“How are we gonna make it out of this?” Rainbow said.

==================================================================

“What if I can't master my element and find the others in time? What if I fail?” A terrified Fire’ said to Roku.

“I know you can do it Firebrand. For you have done it before.” Roku said, causing Fire’ to smile. “The solstice is ending. We must go our separate ways, for now.”

“But I won't be able to come back to the temple. What if I have questions? How will I talk to you?”

“I am a part of you. When you need to talk to me again, you will find a way.” Roku then closes his eyes, providing Fire’ a vision of Fire Navy ships surrounding the island. “A great danger awaits you at the temple.” Roku said through his mind to Fire’ as he provides a vision of the awaiting Fire Nation soldiers on the other side of the door. “I can help you face the threat, but only if you are ready.”

At this, Firebrand’s mane, tail, hoofs, and eyes begin to glow, but instead of orange, there glowing white. “I'm ready.”

==================================================================

Outside, the door glows bright white once again. Smoke streams come through into the room as the door unlocks itself, beginning to open. As it opens, a blinding white light forces all present to look away. “Ready...” Zhao said as the light fades, revealing a pair of glowing white eyes in the darkness.

No! Firebrand!” A terrified Twilight called out as the others try to free themselves, to no avail.

Fire!” Zhao commanded as he and his guards cooperate in blasting fire onto the unseen target.

Twilight actually begins to cry when. “Look y’all!” Applejack said as he face has shock written all over. Twilight looks into the inferno and sees that the fire amasses, circling its new host, which horrifies Zhao. It’s not Firebrand however, but instead an Alicorn with a white mane and a midnight blue coat with a fireball for a cutie mark, eyes aglow, who's untouched.

“Who’s that?” Fluttershy asked.

“Avatar Roku.” An awestricken Shyu said as Roku draws the circling fire together in one motion and sends it forward in one powerful wave that sears the room, blasting the offenders off their hoofs and melting the chains binding the main six, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Celestia, Luna, Shyu and Zuko with precision, as well as melting the anti-magic colors on the Unicorns and Alicorns. The blast is so strong, it creates a giant hole in the wall. Zuko takes the opportunity to escape as a ghostly Avatar Roku turns his glowing glare upon the offending sages, who panic and run from his wrath.

“What is he doing?” Luna asked.

“Avatar Roku is going to destroy the temple! We have to get out of here!” Shyu implored.

Not without Firebrand!” Twilight said as Roku kneels into a forward strike, melting the floor with a molten firebending trail. He then steadily lifts his hoof, causing the stream of lava below to erupt into maddened explosions. The lava soars through the temple, tearing it apart. Zhao and his soldiers flee for the temple's exit.

The destruction ceases momentarily as Roku lowers his hoofs, exhaling soundly. “Now might be a good time to stop the solstice.” Rainbow suggested to Celestia, who complies and casts her spell. The solstice' beam of sunlight leaves Roku’s statue; its eyes no longer glowing. As this happens all smoke in the room draws in upon Avatar Roku, his form disappearing to leave behind a weary Firebrand, who collapses.

“We got your back.” Applejack said as she and Pinkie help Fire’ up.

“Thanks.” Fire’ weakly said. “Where's Shyu?”

“We don’t know.” Twilight said as the temple begins to collapses. “Let’s just get out of here!” The temple begins to lean due to the destruction caused. The group stare in horror upon seeing the stairwell leading to the exit filled with lava. They quickly turn to the only exit; the hole in the wall Roku had created. There is no escaping for some, as they are on the top level of the temple.

“How are we all gonna get out!” Rarity said, starting to panic a little.

Just then, the Wonderbolts fly up to the hole, with Scootaloo in the chariot. “Maybe we can help.” Scootaloo said as the others jump in, getting a big hug from Rainbow.

“I thought you were a goner.” Rainbow said with a slight tear. “How did you...?”

“I landed on a cloud.” Scootaloo said as they take off, with Zhao watching from his ship.

“No Prince, no Princesses, no Avatar! Apparently, the only thing I do have is five traitors!” Zhao snapped at the sages.

“But Commander! Only Shyu helped the Fire Avatar.” The Great Fire Sage interjected.

“Save your stories for the Fire Lord. As far as I'm concerned, you're all guilty! Take them to the prison hold!” Zhao ordered.

==================================================================

Later that night, after most the group have gone to sleep, the Wonderbolts fly through the clouds back to the mainland, as a mourning Firebrand has his head hung. Twilight then approaches her friend, kneeling behind him to support him, putting her hoof around Fire's shoulders.