• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 7,151 Views, 600 Comments

Just an Everyday Princess - Wages of Sin



Twilight tries to go back to everyday life, but when your the newest alicorn princess, things are a little more complicated than that.

  • ...
20
 600
 7,151

Hoofmaidens' Development

"The new princess seems nice." Brush noted as she ran a dust cloth across the tops of the librarian's personal collection of reference books.

"I'm just worried she'll get as upset with us as Princess Cadenza did... That was horrible..." Bristle remembered as she made the bed.

"I'd rather have another Princess Cadenza than another Prince Blueblood." Breeze said, trembling as she walked in to the bedroom, still wearing a kitchen apron.

"Didn't Princess Cadenza turn out to be the Changeling Queen? I can understand why she was so terrible... Blueblood was still so much worse, though." Cloud shuddered as she swept in the corner of the room.

"Regardless, I like the new princess." Brush said once again.

"Yes sister, she does seem like she'll be a nice mistress."

A round of nods and musings of agreement went around the room.

"And her friends are even throwing us a party!" Cloud added.

"No, they are throwing the princess a party first and foremost, and as such, we should go help set up. We want to make a good impression on the townsfolk." Brush said as she finished up the last of the chores.

"Speaking of the party, do any of you know where we are supposed to go for it?" Cloud looked from pony to pony for a response.

"I believe the unicorn said it was at 'Sugarcube Corner'" Breeze added as she watched Brush walk over to the window.

"We should probably leave soon if we are to find this establishment and help prepare." she turned back to the group, "Bristle, I see you've made the bed and collected the trash from in here, is the rest of the library's collected as well?" Bristle gave a nod. "Good. Breeze, did you finish everything in the kitchen?"

"Of course!"

"Good. Cloud, you done sweeping yet?"

"Almost, just give me a second."

"Ok, well when you're done we'll get tidied up and try to find this 'Sugarcube Corner' place."

-------------------------------------

Cloud broke the awkward silence, "We need directions." The mares had been blindly wandering around Ponyville for close to half an hour now.

"Were not lost, Cloud, we'll be there soon. This town isn't that big." replied Brush with an indignant huff.

"Uh... I think we should ask someone too sis... If it's not too difficult, the ponies around here seem nice enough." Bristle was quite thrilled that they had been walking for so long and not one pony had stopped them to yell at them, in fact some even smiled and waved!

"We are not asking directions until we absolutely have to! It makes us look like were ignorant, and that reflects poorly on the princess."

"I think having her whole serving staff on parade through the middle of town reflects even more poorly on the princess than just asking someone for directions."

"I said we're not..." Cloud's logic was slowly seeping into Brush's head "Well..."

-------------------------------------

"Excuse me ma'am could you direct us to 'Sugarcube Corner'?"

"Sure! Do you know where- whoa!" the blue maned DJ did a double take as she turned from the stall she was patronizing, "I need to get my glasses checked! Seriously! It's like I'm seeing in double again! Quadruple!" she lifted her sunglasses and rubbed her eyes animatedly, "You all look exactly the same! Did you all mess up your coordinating when you got up this morning? I know this pair of ponies that could have you all straightened up in a jiffy!"

"I'm sorry, but we really can't, we've got to get to Sugarcube Corner soon."

"Oh come on! They have a hot tub! I can see the dirt on your coats, you all could use some spa time if you're going to a party next!"

"I'm really sorry but could you just-"

"Oh come on sis, we have like two hours until the party starts, and we don't HAVE to help set up anyway." Bristle laid on pleading the act thick.

Brush couldn't resist her sisters puppy-dog eyes for long, "Oh all right, but only an hour! Tops!"

"Come with me!"

-------------------------------------

The DJ had dragged them to Aloe and Lotus's spa and had them relaxing before they knew what hit them. After a short time Brush had made her way to the deeper spa room and found the jacuzzi.

"So where are you all from? Are you all, like, sisters or something? Is that why you all look so similar?" the DJ asked Brush as she joined her in the steaming water. (The hot tub being the only part of the facility the DJ frequented.)

"No, to answer your last question, we're not related. Well, Brush and I are, but Breeze and Cloud are of no relation to us or each other."

"So what are you all doing looking so similar? Seriously! That's pretty coincidental!"

"This is the standard appearance of Royal Palace Hoofmaidens." said Brush with no lack of confidence in her words. It was easy for anyone to see she took pride in her position.

"Whoa, you work at the palace! I've got a friend who performs at the palace all the time! Her name's Octavia, ever met her?"

"Well, we don't actually work at the palace anymore, we moved in with the new princess here in Ponyville."

"New princess? OH! You mean Twi! Ha! That means you're all living in the library now? Well I guess I should welcome you to Ponyville! I'm actually kinda shocked Pinkie hasn't thrown a party for you yet."

The new resident's eyes widened as she remembered the whole reason they had left the Library.

"The Party!" She sprang from the water, splashing everywhere as she ran to collect her associates.

Vinyl was left alone in the tub. "Nice girl, but too high strung. Kinda reminds me of a certain librarian.“ Vinyl noted as she laid back in the tub, "she could also stand to take a bottle of chill pills like a certain librarian."

-------------------------------------

Brush had separated from the group very soon after arriving to wash up and find the hot tub, her associates however had mysteriously never joined her in the bath. She feared that they had left without her. She became more concerned when she found the mare from the morning's excitement in the library wandering around the shop.

"I'm sorry miss, but do you know where my associates are, I seem to have lost them and we really must be going."

The mare turned first with a look of surprise, then shock, a smirk, and finally she held her head high refusing to look directly at the mare "You look simply dreadful! I can't believe that a princess would keep such dreadful company!"

Brush was stunned. This mare had seemed so nice before, but to go so far as to challenge the honor of the princess! "I- I-"

"Gotcha!" The purple maned white coated mare couldn't hold back her laughter.

Brush recognized that laugh "Cloud! Your mane! Why did you dye it? To work as an attendant of the palace you must follow the dress code!"

"Pshhh! We were all thinking about what the crazy one who dragged us here said, and seriously, it does kind of suck to all look the same doesn't it? Nobody calls us by name because they can't tell us apart!"

"While I agree it is an inconvenience, we MUST look the same! Breaking dress code is grounds for dismissal!"

"-From the PALACE! If you didn't notice, we aren't in the palace anymore. And besides, this will be fun! Live a little! Don't worry we'll dye them back later."

"We?" Brush dared to ask, fearing the consequences of that word.

Her fears were realized as double DJs walked in.

"Oh hey sis... You like my new mane?"

"I can't believe you would... Oh Celestia. Dare I even ask what color Breeze dyed her mane?"

"Oh don't worry, she didn't dye her mane" Cloud could barely contain her mirth, but Brush was too busy examining her sisters new "style" to notice.

She did notice, however, when another pony entered the room.

"Princess!" Brush hid the ground in a deep bow, "I'm sorry for the violations of code amongst... Um, princess? Where are your wings?"

Cloud exploded in laughter, even Bristle let out a small snicker, but Brush was not happy.

"You didn't."

"We did!"

-------------------------------------

Preview: "Twilight walked into Sugarcube Corner anticipating the usual friendly greeting from the Cakes. Instead she was met with what distinctly instilled thoughts of what it would look like if pre-reformation Discord and the Changeling army decided to attack the humble bakery at the same time, namely it was pure chaos."

Author's Note:

Give those mares a little development why don'cha?

BTW: That previewed chapter might not be next, I think there might be a chapter in between this one and that one. If I do put a different chapter next, I'll change the preview accordingly.

Question of the day: If Gilda is part lion and part eagle (as griffons are), and both are relatively strict carnivores, what did she eat when she attended flight school with Dash?