• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 7,139 Views, 600 Comments

Just an Everyday Princess - Wages of Sin



Twilight tries to go back to everyday life, but when your the newest alicorn princess, things are a little more complicated than that.

  • ...
20
 600
 7,139

Delayed Dinner

Unable to begin the meal without the guest of honor, Braeburn, his parents, and the guard troupe all just sat around in awkward silence until Honey-Crisp spoke.

"We'll be eatin' right as soon as the princess is back, so while her majesty's gettin' cleaned up, how's about y'all go wash yer hooves up too?" The elder mare recommended before a thought apparently struck her, "Oh, silly ol' me! We don't get many unicorns around here, I suppose ya don't really need ta wash do ya?"

"We should probably wash up anyway." Blue Blaze said, rising from his seat, "Come on boys."

The stallion pack smiled and rose, calmly exiting the door. As soon as they were out in the hall though, the smiles dropped.

"What's the plan sir?" Bastion whispered.

"We're just going to make sure the princess is alright. We'll sneak to her bathroom, knock, and if we hear her voice we'll pull back."

"... And what, dare I ask, do we do if we don't hear her?"

"We- Shh! Somepony's coming!"

The squad dove around a corner fast enough to avoid Braeburn as he hurriedly made his way down the hall.

"Quick!" Blue Blazer commanded, "Follow him!"


"Just a little bit more princess. I can't get this last spot out." Brush said as she re-lathered the Princess's already pristine mane.

"Are we almost done? I just wanted to rinse the coffee off..."

"Now just let your mane soak for a few more minutes and you'll be set."

"I'd much rather not stall dinner any more. Besides, I'm sure that my mane is just fine right now. It's not like it really needs to be perfect or anything."

"Now princess, on that I simply must disagree! One of your station must always exude the proper image expected of royalty!"

"I really don't think that the Apple family would be offended if I came to dinner without a perfectly styled mane."

"That's the kind of thing that you precisely can't do! A princess cannot compromise her standards for anything! You are a pillar of faith for our entire nation! You must be held to a standard no less than that of perfection, and any deviation therefrom disrupts the very faith of our nation!"

"Well..."

"Just imagine how you'd feel if Clestia had bed-mane in court!"

Twilight sat in awe of the image, "I hadn't thought about it like that..."

Not able to argue, Twilight remained in the tub as the mares left her to soak.


"Quick thinking Brush!" Cloud whispered as soon as they were out of earshot.

"Not to burst your bubble, but what are we going to do now?" Bristle asked quietly, "Your little speech kept her in, but now she defiantly won't come out until she's good, ready, and dry! Our wonderful wet-mane plan will be ruined!"

"Oh don't worry, everything is going even better than expected! Now we just need to get our little- And there's just the pony I wanted to see!"

"You ladies alright up here?" the perpetually anxious farmer asked.

"We were actually just looking for you! The princess needs some towels, and we couldn't find any!"

Taking her cue, the others followed.

"She could really use them soon..." Breeze said as she nudged him forward slightly.

"Oh, here, let me get them for you." he said, trying to turn them around towards an adjacent closet but was stopped by a shove forward from Brush.

"No time to stop! Please get her some towels!" she said as she continued to push.

"Uh, sure- but they're-" the struggling stallion tried to explain.

"Please! She needs them NOW!" Cloud said as she gave a final hard push to the unsuspecting stallion, sending him right through a doorway.

"Braeburn!?!" a familiar feminine voice shrieked.


"What are you doing!" Blue Blazer all but yelled as he saw the mares shoving the potentially dangerous stallion into the room where presumably the princess was bathing.

They slammed the door behind him, and a feminine shriek from within only served to confirm the stallion's suspicion.

Without second thought, Blue Blazer and his stallions charged for the door.

"No don't!" he heard Brush shout as she and the other mares blocked their path.

Now, even though they were well trained unicorn guards, they were still unicorn guards. Just as pegasi supply air cover and earth ponies are great in close-combat, unicorns fill the role of ranged fighting and defensive shielding. They prove a great force multiplier in a mixed unit, when each tribe covers the weaknesses of the others, but left alone, pure unicorn units have one major weakness. One that Blue Blazer should have taken into account before trying to push past the objecting mares.

...unicorns are naturally weak...

...and earth ponies are naturally strong.

Before he could even recognize what happened, he was bouncing right off of the Earth-pony wall, and in the next instant, he was being held to the ground.

"What!"

"Just relax! We've got this under control!" Brush commanded from on top of him.

He lay in shock for a moment before his surprised expression hardened as realization washed over him. "You're in on it aren’t you! Ever since we got here you've all been setting this up, haven’t you! Don't think that I didn't see though you're 'performance' downstairs!"

"Go!" he yelled to the others, but when he heard no tell-tale hoofbeats, he looked around to see that just as himself, the others had followed and been subdued by the mares.

"Do you even realize what you're doing!" he shouted.

"Oh yes we do!"

"You're-"

"We're-"

"-trying to assassinate-"

"-trying to hook-up-"

"-the princess!" they finished in unison.

"Wait, what did you think we were doing?" asked Brush as she tried to decide if she should be amused by the misunderstanding, angry that he would even think they'd betray the princess, or be afraid of the guard captain's increasingly apparent ignorance.

"...actually, don't answer that. How about I just show you."

Still holding him hostage, she allowed him to put an ear to the door, every other occupant of the hall followed.

Despite the door, the sounds from within the room were quite distinct. More so, it appeared that the conversation was reaching its crescendo just as they arrived.

"...thank you for sharing that, really." the princess's words were tender, "Now this had something to do with what you wanted to ask before?" The princess's voice inquired.

A moment passed before any sounds escaped the room before a nervous Braeburn continued, "With all that in mind, I know we don't know each other that well, but..." Braeburn quickly squeaked before going silent again.

"Yes Braeburn? But what? Do you need something?"

The silence stood for a moment before he spoke again; trepidation, fear, and yet pride in his voice. "Will you marry me?"

A pause.

The Hoofmadens and guards looked to each other, shock and surprise all around. The shock felt by the hoofmadens at the boldness of his request was simply blown out of the water though by the implications of the reply.

"Of course! Of course I'll marry you!"

Author's Note:

I hate how this chapter came out... I'll probably redo it later...

Anyway, if you honestly want to see where this is going stop reading this A/N now.

... on the other hand, if your heart is full of rage for the shipping, don't worry.

*Spoilers below* -Seriously, if you read it it will ruin the next few chapters-

I can't take the derp-tastic auto-spam fallout anymore. People, please, read into the story a little, I'm not shipping Twilight with Braeburn. That would be suicide. As many of you have guessed it's a misunderstanding again. (I thought that would be obvious at this point but...)