• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 7,142 Views, 600 Comments

Just an Everyday Princess - Wages of Sin



Twilight tries to go back to everyday life, but when your the newest alicorn princess, things are a little more complicated than that.

  • ...
20
 600
 7,142

Return

Dasher stood in the doorway and stared at the alicorn before him.

It was Twilight.

...It WAS Twilight.

Her alicorn form was drenched in massive bloodstains, mud, and plant matter.

Dasher opened his mouth to scream, but a bloodied hoof stopped him before he could yell.

"Thanks for getting my feathers ripped out! it made for a heck of a time getting back! I wandered the forest all night thanks to that! I had to wait till I could see the shadows of the morning sun to navigate my way out." Twilight trudged in and plopped into the sofas' matching chair, exhaling a long breath, “Sorry, I shouldn't take this out on you... I'm just really tired... Could you have one of the- oh, they're at Applejack's with Spike and the girls... Would you mind making me some coffee?"

Twilight looked to Dasher hopefully. Dasher stood stock still.

"Aren't you..."

"Aren't I?"

"Going to take my soul?"

The horrendous figure stared straight at him.

"No...? I hadn't planed on it..."

"But aren't you..."

"Aren't I?"

"Aren't you Twilight's tormented soul come to claim me for allowing you to die?"

"...uh, no? I'm regular Twilight come to claim your coffee. ...uh, are you ok? You look like you've seen- Whoa!"

Dasher had his hooves around the returned princess as soon as he realized she wasn't his imagination.

"How did you escape the Lupus? I thought- We thought you-" Letting go he stammered and gestured towards Twilight's blood-soaked body, "But it looks like you really kicked some flank with that lupus!"

"I didn't. You know those reports that alicorns don't just not age, but are absolutely immortal? All wounds healing quickly and damage barely affecting us?"

He nodded.

"Confirmed." she said, letting the implications sink in.

"Does that mean..." Dasher drew back in shock.

"Yeah, I died, multiple times actually. But I did finally manage to stab the Lupus with the dart and wear him down until the drug took effect and he passed out. As for all this," she gestured to her now red coat, "all mine. He managed to land some pretty good hits on me."

"We're so sorry princess!" Dasher dropped his nose to the floor. "We failed terribly in our job."

"What do you have to be upset about? I ordered you to run, and you ran. It's not like anything too bad happened. All's well that ends well."

"But we abandoned you! Allowed you to die! We failed our duty!"

"Actually, I don't think you did. At any point has the guard ever been sent out to stop such a creature? Or has Celestia always done it herself? In the palace, how often did you actually protect the princess? I really think you are just here for crowd control and to keep paparazzi ponies out of my mane (and home). If I had to assess your actual value defensively, with only four of you, I'd say it's absurd for you to be expected to protect me. Celestia probably didn't expect anything to happen in 'peaceful little Ponyville' and only sent you to keep ponies off my back."

Dasher sat staring at the princess who had just revealed that he and his unit had the effectiveness of a decretive fence.

"...so, uh, could you get me some coffee? Soft and the girls are at Applejack's learning about Ponyville and I don't think my legs will obey me anymore."

"Yes princess!" Dasher snapped to the task and ran to the kitchen.

Twilight, who had spent the whole night dealing with the tiring issues of a giant wolf and the other horrors of the Everfree, let sleep drift over her.


Bastion and Stonehoof were the next to wake up to the sound of banging in the kitchen. Both had gone to sleep after completing their tasks the previous night, under directive from Blue Blazer to sleep, recharge and be prepared if something came up, or for when the princess arrived from Canterlot.

Both soldiers saw Twilight at the same time.

"Princess!" Bastion squeaked, "Princess?" he walked up to her, "Princess... oh sweet Celestia..." the extent of her blood-soaked form was a sight to take in. "Oh Celestia..."

Bastion and Stonehoof averted their gazes from the terrible sight.

"I'm so sorry..." tears flowed freely from Bastion, "I should have stayed with the others... Then maybe we all could have..."

Stonehoof put his foreleg around his companion.

"No, it wouldn't have changed anything. This is how the creator saw fit to-"

"Coffee's done!" Dasher called from the kitchen and less than a second later he entered the main room with a tray and the brightest of smiles.

"Oh, hey fellas, how'd ya sleep?"

Bastion and Stonehoof looked to each other and then back to the coffee bringer.

"What guys?" Dasher looked down at himself, "Do I have a stain on my coat? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Dasher, I can't believe... I'm so sorry... We'll get you help."

"Nah, I got this. It's just some coffee for the princess!"

Bastion and Stonehoof exchanged another glance.

"Dasher, I need you to-"

"I'll help you in a sec, the princess needs her coffeeeeeEEEEEE!"

He tripped, spilling the coffee all over the unconscious princess.

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Her scream rang out setting off several other events all at once.

"AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Bastion and Stonehoof embraced at the unholly horror risen before them.

Awoken by the screaming, Blue Blazer jumped to his hooves and scaned the room for the source of the commotion. Upon finding it, he promptly passed right back out.

The door to the library opened as a brown earth pony walked in, "Princess Twilight? I'm sorry to bother you so early in the... nevermind." he backed right out the way he came in, closing the door behind him.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa.......?"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"Uh...?"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"Bastion? Stonehoof?"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"You can stop now."

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

"Seriously, stop."

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Twilight took a deep breath. "STOP!" she yelled at them.

"She's unholy! Kill her quick!" Bastion shouted as Stonehoof dove for his Sword amongst his discarded armor.

"No need for that." Twilight said as she grabbed both freaking out stallions with her magic, "I'm not a zompony or anything, just... Well actually, by definition I am, but not really."

Her explanation didn't seem to help much as the stallions flailed.

"SHUT UP!" she shouted as she pounded her hoof into the ground for emphasis.

They finally complied.

She looked over to Dasher, who was covering his ears in the corner.

"Is it over?" He asked.

"Yes," she said, looking into her grasped ponies' eyes for confirmation that it was, in fact, over. She received more nods.

"Ok, and by the way, Dasher, when you tell these two about what I told you happened, amend my analysis of alicorn biology to include pain absence."

The stallion stared at her awkwardly.

"Pain stems from the body's natural damage avoidance systems, but likely due to my immortality, I guess I no longer need pain. ...and here I was thinking it had just been adrenaline that made me not feel... Well... all this." she gestured to her bloody self again.

"That's..." Bastion said as he felt the magical binds that held him up dissolve, releasing him.

"...wonderful princess." Stonehoof finished for his speechless companion. "It's good to see you're ok."

"Thanks. Anyway, Dasher, you mind telling these two what I told you? I would say to wait until the captain woke up, but he seems like he's going to be out for a while.

"Yes princess!"

Author's Note:

I may do some reaction pseudo-bonus-chapters later in which I play out different scenario changing who is on the other side of the door at the end of chapter ten, but for now I have to tank out a few more chapters of cannon-ness.

Keep the suggestions coming!