• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 7,149 Views, 600 Comments

Just an Everyday Princess - Wages of Sin



Twilight tries to go back to everyday life, but when your the newest alicorn princess, things are a little more complicated than that.

  • ...
20
 600
 7,149

Failure

As any research text on the subject could tell you, Lupi are large magical creatures falling into the category commonly known as "celestial beasts". Standing slightly smaller proportionately to wolves than Ursa Majors stand to standard brown bears; Lupi range from about sixty-five to one hundred and fifteen feet tall. With razor sharp fangs, claws the size of tree trunks, and a running speed far beyond any terrestrial creatures, Lupi are not a very good creature to upset.

Stonehoof knew all this was the case and was using the utmost care not to make any noise as he entered the cave where his prey lay. The cave was absolutly gigantic on the inside, but only contained a single chamber as best he could tell. Despite this though, amid all the rocky obstructions and rubble, he couldn't yet find the Lupus.

Allowing his vision to further adjust to the dark, he switched his strategy of searching. No longer was he looking for a giant wolf creature, now he was searching for a the distinctive star-scape coat of celestial beasts.

His change in strategy was well timed, as less than twenty steps away he could see pinpricks of light spilling off a stone ledge.

The star scape had no distinct form and simply poured in an ephemeral mess down to the stone floor of the chamber as if it were a static version of princess Lina's mane or tail. Upon further inspection though, he realized that what he saw actually was a tail, a Lupus tail.

He saw, off to the right side of the chamber, a slope that curved up from his level up to the high plateau the Lupus lay upon.

Making his way silently up the slope, he finally saw the true enormity of the creature he was about to confront.

Despite that he trusted the princesses with his life, he still found himself questioning whether or not the sleeping potion on the end of his blow gun would really be effective on such a massive beast.

Putting his fears aside, as all soldiers must, he drew the gun with his magic. He considered just tossing the dart with magic, but at long range unicorn magic became less stable, and he doubted that he could throw it perfectly enough that by the time it reached its target the needle would still be at proper angle to penetrate the inherently thick hide of the beast.

He divided his attention to preparing his simple weapon and locating the optimum spot to shoot the beast.

Finding what he could best tell to be the neck he leveled the tube to his mouth...

"PRINCESS?ARE YOU IN THERE?"

The magically amplified call broke Stonehoof from his delicate concentration. He re-leveled the tube, but it was too late, the Lupus was awake. And pissed.

A giant paw came down at him.

Managing to dive out of the way, he allowed equine instinct to take over and he ran like tartarus towards the entrance of the cave.


"WHAT THE NAME OF CELESTIA ARE YOU DOING!!!" Twilight screamed from behind the two guards she thought to be long gone.

"Princess, I am sorry for my misconduct, but I am under orders to-"

"I don't care about your orders right now! What are you doing here! I told you to go home!"

"You don't have the authority to override-"

"ARE YOU LISTENING? I don't care about authority! That's not what's important right now! Do you even realize what you've just done!!!"

"I know that disobeying your orders is not typically permissible, but I am confident that Celestia will see it my way when-"

"When you're a pile of Lupus dung like the rest of us? We can only hope that Stonehoof managed to-"

At that moment a pony sprinted from the mouth of the cave running straight for the group.

"Run! Now!" the stallion hollered.

It was immediately evident why he was running as the very earth beneath their hooves began to shake and a great star-scape form filled the area behind him.

"Buck!" Twilight shouted as she quickly turned to the group, "Ok, everypony run. I'll hold it back as best I can."

"But prin-"

"I order you to go home!"

They complied. They ran, Zecora leading the way.

Twilight turned to face the beast.


Bastion sat reading a book by candle light on one of the couches that was substituting as his bed. The party had ended about an hour previous and Bastion decided to wait for both his fellow guards and to see if the Princess would spend the night at Zecora's.

He rose from his book as he heard the door to the library open and hooves race in.

"Oh, good, there you are! I was beginning to worry something was-" he looked over the back of the couch to his companions, "Where's the princess?"

Bastion watched as the newly returned members of his squad, out of breath and with fear on their faces.

"Fetch the Dragon!" Shouted Blue Blazer as he grabbed a random scroll off of Twilight's writing desk. Dasher immediately sprung into action, running out the library's front door.

"What's going on?" Bastion asked, not even pretending to hide the fear he felt.

"Stonehoof, Go to the hospital and have them prepare for anything. Tell them the situation and to stay ready to receive the princess."

That was confirmation. Bastion grabbed Dasher before he could run away, "What happened to the princess?"

"She-"

"Go! I'll fill him in."

Bastion released Dasher and he went off to his task, leaving Bastion with Blue Blazer in the library.

"So what's going on?"

"The princess... We had to leave... We accidentally..." every time he would begin he would stop as if what he was about to say was wrong. He sat, thinking, for a moment before continuing, "The princess covered our retreat from a wild Lupus in the Everfree."

"What? Why-"

An out of breath Dasher crashed his way back into the library, "The Element of Generosity and the Dragon were not at her home! What should we do sir?"

Blue Blazer froze. "Ok- OK- Contingency- the princess is in danger and we have no direct contact with the palace... Ok, we should- uh..."

"What Sir? What are we going to do?"

"We'll send a pegasi with a message to Canterlot!"

"That'll take all night at best!"

"Then we need to find a fast flier! Quick, who would be the fastest flier in a town like this? The guard would be the fastest, but this town doesn't have any stationed guard pegasi, so who's left?"

"Civil servants... This town's mailmare!"

"Good thinking! Bastion, take the message to the town's mailmare! Ask the mayor where she lives if you must, you remember where she lives from the briefing?"

Bastion nodded as he quickly retrieved the letter from the out-of-breath Dasher and exited the library, leaving Dasher and Blue Blazer alone.

With nothing to do in these tense moments they sat on the couches, still warm from when Bastion was laying comfortably only several minutes later.

It wasn't long before Dasher caught his breath and broke the tense silence.

"Sir, did we... kill the princess?"

The silence before was tense, but now it was crushing.

Blue Blazer opened his mouth to speak but no words came. He swallowed hard and looked Dasher in the face, "No" he said.

"But we!- if it wasn't for us!-"

"No- She- ...This is no one's fault."

"But sir! If we hadn't followed her! Or gone into the forest when she told us to go home! Or if we would have talked to her before we... If we wouldn't have been there then she- ... Sir? Did we... Did us being here to guard her get her killed?"

"No, we didn't, and besides we don't know anything yet, she may have beaten it easily! I hear she beat an Ursa before!"

"Yeah, I heard that story... She lulled an Ursa Minor back to sleep. This is different... This was a Lupus out for blood, do you really think-"

"Are you TRYING to take the blame? Because if you want it you can have it! I don't need you moping around disrupting me while I lead."

"Lead what! What this time? 'Oh hey, let's not listen to the princess about the pink one! Let's tackle the princess at the mere sight of another pony! Let's ransack the farmhouse without real reason! Let's arrest the element of honesty! Let's disobey orders and spy on the Princess at a party with her friends! Let's assume that everypony is a bucking assassin out for her head! Let's follow the princess into the woods we know nothing about without telling her! Let's kick down the door when we see the princess donating potion supplies!"

"But!-"

"I'm not done yet! Let's go after her after the she SPECIFICALLY TOLD US NOT TO FOLLOW HER! Let's go yelling into random bucking caves at the slightest chance the princess is inside!"

"You know as well as I that we are the ones with real combat and guarding experience! She doesn't realize that we have to assume everything is dangerous or else we aren't doing our jobs!"

"DOING OUR JOBS! There's the real kicker of the night! Do you want to know about doing our jobs? The whole bucking day we're hurting the princess and her friends because we're trying to keep her out of danger, but when there is clear and present danger in the form of a giant bucking monster looming over her, we retreat to safety with our tails between our legs!!! We didn't even stay to protect her friend! We just ran straight home like frightened fillies!"

"She ordered us to ret-"

"She ordered us? SHE BUCKING ORDERED US? What was that all about 'doing our job despite what she wants?' 'Buck what she wants!' was what you said! And look at you now! You bucking hypocrite!"

"Well you ran too!"

"..."

"..."

"Goodnight captain. Call me when Celestia arrives to recover her student's body. I'll start trying to sun-proof my armor."


Contrary to what he said, Dasher did not attempt to sun-proof his armor, instead he went straight to bed. Why not? At best he would wake up and find out he was still six years old, dreaming about his crazy adventures in the royal guard. Worst case he would awaken to the infinite hell-fire of the Goddess of the sun enraged over the death of her dearest friend, possibly leading to the death of the whole planet.

Either way he was tired and was going to sleep come tartarus or planetary destruction.

When he did wake though, his anticipation was dashed as neither case came true. In fact the room he was in looked just like it had as he went to sleep, other than the additional three slightly rising and falling forms cast in the orange hue of the morning sun.

*Knock**Knock*

Oh goodie! The Princess is here to murder us!

He opened the door, and immediately felt that he was right.