• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 2,628 Views, 141 Comments

Orange and Blue, I Do (Book 3) - LotusTeaDragon



Applejack and Rainbow Dash are preparing to get married, as Dash's younger sister, Violet Tempest, prepares a new life as well.

  • ...
15
 141
 2,628

Love's Flower Don't Bloom For Jus' Anypony

CHAPTER TEN
"Love’s Flower Don’t Bloom For Jus’ Anypony"

"One Week Later"

It was a beautiful day, like any other day under Celestia's Sun, but this day marked one significant difference. There was no difference in the gentle blowing of the warm wind, neither was there any difference in the azure clarity of the skies; nor was there a difference in the warm grasses that crunched softly underhoof; Even still, there was no difference in the lush, green trees, swaying gently back and forth in the breeze. In these things, there was no change from the usual display of nature's bountiful glory.

The deviation from every other day in Ponyville was to be found in a clearing; one near the northwest orchard of Sweet Apple Acres, and one that was bustling with activity; a frenzy of ponies moving about preparing for that day, that shining moment, when two ponies joined together in matrimony, to share the rest of their lives with one another, and their dearest friends, and today was that day.

This was a simple affair, because the two ponies who would be joined this day preferred things to be simple, much to the chagrin of a certain white unicorn mare. Still, it was their day, and so she went along with it willingly, for she was the element of generosity, and would be happy for her friends, regardless.

"Applejack, quit fidgeting, dear. I'm almost finished."

A sigh. "Sorry, Rarity. Ah guess I'm just nervous an' all."

They were inside a small tent placed not far away from where the wedding ceremony would be held, near a grove of apple trees.

"There we are, my dear, now stand back and let me look at you."

Applejack backed away, and let Rarity examine her work. "Darling, you look magnificent, even better than when we were in my boutique, if that is even possible. Oh, Rarity, you are amazing."

Applejack rolled her eyes at her friend's self congratulatory remarks. Still, she did feel like a million bits, and she had Rarity to thank for it.

"Ah really appreciate it, Rarity. Ah would appreciate it more if Ah could get these here butterflies out o' mah belly."

Rarity stepped forward and gave her friend a warm nuzzle. "You have nothing to worry about, dear, you make a handsome mare. I've no doubt once you see your beloved in her ensemble, you will forget all about the butterflies."

"Ah hope so, Ah just don't want ta make a fool outta mahself in front o' Celestia and everypony."

***

"You look so pretty, Rainbow Dash." A soft voice could be heard saying, as Rainbow Dash turned and looked at herself in the mirror.

"You know, I do, don't I?" Rainbow Dash said as she nodded at her reflection. "I look awesome in this dress."

"I still can't believe you chose a dress over a wedding suit. It's quite the romantic gesture, if you don't mind my saying so," Fluttershy said as she admired the white lace around Dash's wings.

"Hey, I can be romantic! Besides, I know Applejack's all about old fashioned traditions and stuff, and I want her to be more comfortable. Plus, I look so hot in this. I'm going to knock the hat right off her head with how awesomely hot I look."

"I've no doubt." a new voice said.

Fluttershy eeped as Rainbow Dash turned around and saw her mother standing in the entrance way to her tent that was situated on the opposite side of the clearing, near a grove of apple trees.

"Mom!" Rainbow Dash yelled out in surprise, running to her mother and embracing her. "You were able to make it! I thought you and Dad weren't able to leave Baltimare in time!"

"Oh honey, I wouldn't miss this for the world. My baby girl is going to be married. Oh, I can't wait for grandchildren."

"Um... Mom?"

"Oh yes, of course. Well, we'll worry about that later. In the meantime, look at you! You're so beautiful! My dear, when Applejack sees you she's going to spit!"

"Well, that's nothing new. She does that anyway." Rainbow Dash deadpanned.

Mother and daughter giggled.

"Oh, my sweet baby! Look at you!"

Rainbow Dash turned to the new voice. "Daddy!"

"Sweetheart, you're breathtaking!" Dusk Thunder said, his eyes wide. "You don't look like my daughter, you look like a full grown mare! What did you do with my daughter?"

Rainbow Dash laughed as she grabbed him and hugged him tightly. "Mom, Dad, I'm so glad you made it."

Dusk Thunder held his daughter close. "My sweet little girl, your Mommy and Daddy wouldn't have missed this for the world."

"Wow, Rainbow, you look great!" a fourth pony had joined them. "Mom, you look lovely as always, and hey, nice suit, Dad! Love the way you're rocking the plaid."

Everypony turned to see Violet make her way into the tent. Dusk Thunder broke out into a grin. "There's our scientist!" he said, as he pulled her into a hug as well. Violet's surprise lasted only for a moment. She realized that nothing mattered beyond the fact that the four of them were whole, as one family, enjoying the moment together.

Fluttershy quietly stayed off to the side as not to intrude.

"Flutters! What are you doing over there? Get over here and join in on the hug!" said Rainbow Dash.

"Oh, no, I don't wish to intrude. I mean, you're all so cute together, and I don't really want to-"

The family shuffled over, as one group, and pulled the shy pegasus into the fold.

"Oh my! Well, I..." and she paused for a moment before saying, "this is nice."

***

Twilight Sparkle stood under the archway, where she would be joining two of her dearest friends together in matrimony. She looked out at the gathering of ponies sitting in their white wooden chairs, arranged on either side of the aisle.

"Are you okay, Applejack?" she whispered to the orange mare now standing in front of her, and to her left. To say she looked nervous would have been a gross understatement. Applejack was shaking so hard, that it looked like she was about to set off the seismometers in the Canterlot Geology lab.

Applejack just nodded as if this were her normal state of mind every day. "Oh, sure, Twi," she whispered back, "Ah'm just a touch nervous, is all."

Twilight smiled. "No need to worry, AJ. You'll do fine."

"Well, ya know, it's not everyday ya get ta marry the mare o' yer dreams."

"That's true," Twilight conceded amiably, "but on the plus side, you only have to marry her once."

Before Applejack could respond, they heard the singing voices of Fluttershy's bird chorus start whistling the wedding march. A few moments later, the flower girls, better known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, began traipsing down the aisle, throwing flower petals everywhere, with some even landing along the aisleway where they belonged. They were all smiles, save for Scootaloo, who had the largest grin anypony had ever seen on a filly's muzzle, though it was barely outshining Applebloom's grin as she winked at her sister standing at the altar. Sweetie Belle had a simple, joyful smile on her face, as if she were humming a tune that only she could hear.

Following the three fillies was Violet Tempest, escorting a bashful and blushing Fluttershy, who was wearing a lovely teal dress, a white and blue butterfly pin in her hair. They moved down the aisle, smiles on their faces as they reached the altar and took their places on each side, respectively. Applejack glanced over to see Violet step into her place as the Best Mare, who looked up to her soon to be sister-in-law, and wiggled her eyebrows, in a 'just you wait and see' expression.

Next to step out was Rarity, in a shimmering yellow gown, violet accents in her mane, and being escorted down the aisle by a tuxedo-ed Spike. Pinkie Pie hopped down the aisle last, wearing a pink dress, a decorative cupcake design in her mane, as she was escorted by Caramel, wearing a dusk blue checked suit. Each pony took their place near the altar, each one giving Applejack either a smile or a nod, save for Pinkie, who gave Applejack both a smile, a nod, and a "hooves up."

Applejack smiled in return to each of them and, with bated breath, turned back to watch for her bride-to-be.

It wasn't long. A moment later, the whole gathering gasped in surprise, as Rainbow Dash walked out into the aisle, her father next her. The butterflies in her stomach were evicted with extreme prejudice.

Applejack took in the sight of Rainbow Dash walking slowly down the aisle. Never did Rainbow Dash ever do anything with the word 'slow' in it. What was more heart stopping, however, was that Dash wore an all white wedding dress, in the traditional style. Her wings covered in lace, and on her head sat a flowered wreath, a shimmering white veil coming down from it to obscure the fine details of Rainbow's face.

Applejack watched as Dash's father brought her up next to the altar, giving her a peck on the cheek as he stepped away, and took his place next to his wife, seated in the front row, a tissue in her hoof, dabbing her eyes.

***

Rainbow Dash couldn't look away from her best friend. She barely registered the light peck on the cheek from her father, so enraptured as she was staring at the orange mare, who was dressed such a fine suit, that so perfectly blended with her natural fur color. It was difficult to make out some of the details, as the veil made it a bit difficult, but she most certainly saw those luminous green eyes of her marefriend, and she could not tear herself away from them.

It took her friend Twilight to bring her attention elsewhere.

"Friends, and honored guests," she began, giving a nod to the Princesses, Celestia, and Luna, who were seated on the far side of the aisleway; as not to obscure the vision of the other guests, "today we have gathered here, in this beautiful countryside, to join together these two ponies, Applejack Apple, and Rainbow Dash, in matrimony. It is their love that binds them, and it is their friendship that surrounds them. More powerful than the greatest magic, containing greater depths than the seas, and higher than the highest mountain peaks, their unity transcends all things, both great and small, and even so, shall it endure until the end of their days, and beyond."

She looked directly at the two ponies standing in front of her at the altar.

"The bracelets, please?" She asked quietly.

Both Violet and Fluttershy stepped forward, giving each friend their wedding bracelet. After a moment, they returned to their positions off to the side, as Applejack, and Rainbow Dash, both held their respective bracelets.

"I ask that you turn to one another, please," Twilight continued, and waited, as Applejack and Rainbow Dash turned to face one another. As if by a small intercession of divine intervention, the breeze stopped blowing, the birds stopped chirping, the leaves no longer rustling. All was quiet, even the slightest whisper silenced.

"Applejack, please repeat after me:

"I, Applejack,..."

"Ah, Applejack."

"Take you, Rainbow Dash,..."

"Take you, Rainbow Dash."

"As my beloved mare."

"As mah beloved m-mare."

A slight tittering was momentarily heard in the audience as the full impact of what Applejack was saying decided to fall upon her at that moment.

"I swear now, before Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna,..."

"Ah swear now, before Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna."

"That I will love, honor, and cherish my beloved mare,..."

"Yer darn tootin' I will!"

More laughter as Applejack looked at Twilight.

Twilight smiled. "That I will stay by her side in sickness, and health,.."

"That Ah will stay by her side, in sickness an' in health."

"As long as we both shall live."

"As long as we both'll live."

Twilight smiled again as her friend breathed a sigh of relief. She turned to the cyan pegasus.

"Rainbow Dash? Will you promise to do all of the stuff I just told Applejack?"

Chuckles and peals of laughter rang through the crowd gathered.

Rainbow Dash smiled, and nodded. "You betcha. I'm not letting her get away from me for nothing, and I know she won't because I'm way faster than her."

"Ain't so!"

"Is so!"

"Ain't so!"

"Totally is so!"

"Girls!" Twilight interrupted as the crowd's laughter quieted down. "Applejack, please place your bracelet on Rainbow Dash's hoof, and Rainbow Dash, please place your bracelet on Applejack's hoof." She waited a moment as the couple did as requested.

"By the power vested in me, in the nation of Equestria, and dually appointed by the Princesses Celestia, Daughter of the Sun, and Luna, Daughter of the Moon, I now pronounce you as one. You may kiss one another."

Cheers erupted from the gathering as Applejack raised Rainbow's veil, and kissed her on the muzzle. Rainbow Dash pulled Applejack into a tight, passionate kiss, as Fluttershy reached over to cover the eyes of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were trying to get around the foreleg to see what was causing the audience to hurl catcalls at the couple.

A moment later, Rainbow Dash and Applejack, now married, bonded together not only in friendship, but now a deep, abiding love, walked down the aisle, side by side, as one, looking forward to forever together.

The End.

(/)*(\)