• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 2,633 Views, 141 Comments

Orange and Blue, I Do (Book 3) - LotusTeaDragon



Applejack and Rainbow Dash are preparing to get married, as Dash's younger sister, Violet Tempest, prepares a new life as well.

  • ...
15
 141
 2,633

Prologue

PROLOGUE

Have you ever found yourself wondering about how you reached this point in your life? Where things turned for the better? For the worse? You know what I mean, the kind of thoughts and feelings you have whenever the quiet has become too much, or when too much won't fade away into obscurity and leave your mind alone to rest.

It was something of which she was familiar. Ever popular, but always alone; bright and compassionate, but aloof and contemplative in the midst of other ponies' company. There were always fair weather friends even though those were rather undesirable, and that while a fair-weather friend would offer kind words and a supporting shoulder, those words and that shoulder disappeared just as quickly when it came time to pay the piper, and she'd rather have no friends at all than a whole flock of fair-weather friends. She had become tired of school, tired of the circles in which she traveled even at such a young age, and it was no different for any of her ideas, her philosophies, and for one so young she did think so deep, and deep thought was unattractive if she paid any heed to the gaggling gossips that made up the vast majority of her gender's population. High school was a pain in the plot, and now that she had graduated, it was time to make something of herself.

These thoughts were running through her mind as she placed a few more things in her saddlebags, which sat open on the bed, filled with the standard fare of traveler's needs; books, toiletries, a few clothes on the off chance of inclement weather, nothing out of place, really. She started to latch the tops when she remembered one last item she wanted to bring; a 5x7" frame that held a photo of her older sister, and her fiance.

Walking over to her nightstand, she reached over and picked up the photo, it's frame careworn from nights of holding it tightly to her chest and staring out her window, toward the direction of Ponyville, over the mountains, beyond the great expanse of desert, and far, far beyond the sight of the most gifted Alicorn. She looked down, and touched the photo gently with her hoof, tracing the smile of her sister's glowing face, her rosemary eyes shining brightly at the pony in her hooves, a beautiful orange earth pony mare with breathtaking, emerald eyes.

"You finally did it, Sis. You've found that special somepony that will make your life whole," she said to no one in particular, her voice filling the quiet room before the sound was absorbed into the silent walls once more. A drop of water marred the glass, and she took a hoof-kerchief from her saddlebag and wiped the photo, removing the tiny puddle, as if it had never existed.

She smiled and placed the photo in her saddlebag, and latched the top. Hefting them onto her back, walked out of her room, closing the door behind her, and trotted down the stairs. She glanced around at the house, empty save for a few remaining pieces of furniture sitting in a corner, before stepping outside and closing the front door. Looking about the neighborhood, she saw nopony around, which was to be expected on a day like today. The Hoof Bowl was the most anticipated sporting event of the year, especially in a city like this one. No doubt Los Pegasus Arena would be filled from wall to wall with excited ponies, cheering on their respective teams with equal fervor. It was the perfect day for it, too. The Sun was bright overhead, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the temperature was warm, a breeze tussling at her mane.

While it was indeed warm, that breeze added a slight chill, and she was thankful that she wore her favorite vest today, a light grey with a waffle pattern, and black accents around the shoulders. It complemented her deep purple coat, just as the flat cap, also a light grey with a waffle pattern that sat on her multi-hued mane did the same, it's stiff brim keeping the Sun from her eyes.

Walking out to the sidewalk, past the white fence, she turned and stared at the house. The paint had begun to fade on the shutters and the door, cracking and peeling in places. She had wanted to do something about it herself, but the hooves who had painted those shutters were no longer there, and she felt that it would have been almost profane to touch them, to change anything about them. She felt the same about her mother's flower garden, the lilies and roses still vibrant and growing. She wouldn't change anything about it. She wanted to keep things as they were, to keep memories alive in such a way that even when the world wiped away the last vestiges of their livelihood, their presence would still be felt, would still have meaning in some small way.

This was no longer their residence, but it should have been. Why they chose to move to Baltimare, why her father accepted the Executive Engineer's position on the board of Baltimare Power & Light, why her mother chose to give up her career to be a socialite, she couldn't understand, but it had been done, the papers had been signed, and now the once happy home was just an empty house, and instead of following her parents, Violet Tempest decided the best thing she could do was go to the only other place that had felt real, the only place where love wasn't dependent upon one's social status. Oh, they had begged her to go, pleaded with her to follow them to the rich community of that east coast city, but she politely refused, stating that this was her chance to make her life have value true to her own principles, and not solely to the principles of those who sought her out only to score points with her father.

Still, it hurt to say no, and her mother cried for days. It was her father who chose to embrace her choice. Ever since he had come to terms with his eldest daughter's identity, over many cups of coffee and much discussion with her mother that ended in happy tears and hugs, he had started taking life a bit more openly, smiling more, more than she thought he ever would even as friendly as he was, and he had become more relaxed. The decision to move to Baltimare had been taken in that vein, and her mother, all too happy to leave the massive city and move to a slightly smaller burg with new faces and interesting sights to see, was happy to follow along, her daughter's stubbornness not withstanding. Still, what was done was done, and all had moved forward, as things in life are wont to do.

Taking one more moment, she then turned toward the road that would lead to downtown Los Pegasus. Taking a deep breath, she launched herself into the air, letting her wings take her toward her first stop, the Los Pegasus train station, which would carry her the rest of the way to her destination: Ponyville, and an old red barn, and fields of apple trees, and flowing grasses, where the air was warm and fragrant in the Summer, biting cold and clear in the Winter.

Home.